• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

This might be unrelated, but Ben's Live by Night seems to be getting mixed reviews from early screenings

WC7YPmZ.png

Might be? lol :p

Ross61

Been down this road before with some movies this year. Wait till official reviews. One Hollywood scooper/reviewer heard that Sully was supposed to be "a special kind of bad". Then reviews came out positive.

It's not great, but not terrible either. It's just kind of there. Looks pretty, but felt like the cliff notes version of a bigger story. Would've worked better as a miniseries. Definitely his worst film as a director. Still excited for Batman though!

What I've heard rounds out to being an adequate genre film. Akin to a Public Enemies. Shame there hasn't been a great one of those since maybe Road to Predition. But they haven't been many since then period.

What I've heard rounds out to being an adequate genre film. Akin to a Public Enemies. Shame there hasn't been a great one of those since maybe Road to Predition. But they haven't been many since then period.

Yeah I didn't like Public Enemies that much so make of it what you will. My issue with Live By Night was that I didn't really feel like I connected with any of the characters, and some emotional moments just didn't hit like they should. I didn't hate it, it was just very average. I'd be surprised if it reviews well though.

I don't like Ben nearly as much as Mann, so honestly if this was getting Public Enemies comparisons I'd be pretty excited for it (and I didn't really like that movie too much).

Gangster Squad mention tho...yikes. hopefully this is a much better pulp gangster movie than that. it didn't look like an awards contender anyways, hopefully it's enjoyable tho. i'll take a middling gangster film over Argo. i dunno how that ended up being Ben's most successful movie. it was aiight but Gone Baby Gone blows it away.

J_Viper

It's not great, but not terrible either. It's just kind of there. Looks pretty, but felt like the cliff notes version of a bigger story. Would've worked better as a miniseries. Definitely his worst film as a director. Still excited for Batman though!

tumblr_mjgfege9EK1ra44sfo1_r1_400.gif

I was even more psyched for this than I am for Rogue One.

Was the action solid, at least?

speculation has him as King Arthur in a mother box flashback. that would be hilarious.

whatever he is in here i'm glad he's likely in it, miss the guy.

Ninjimbo

Yeah I didn't like Public Enemies that much so make of it what you will. My issue with Live By Night was that I didn't really feel like I connected with any of the characters, and some emotional moments just didn't hit like they should. I didn't hate it, it was just very average. I'd be surprised if it reviews well though.
I feel like I can say that about all of Ben's movies. The only that I find goes a bit above that is Gone Baby Gone and even that movie kind of starts feeling by the numbers towards the middle. It's saved by some incredible performances and an incredible ending.

Argo....I have no idea how that won best picture. Zero Dark Thirty was above it in every way.

Snyder will always be a better director than Affleck.

Edit: Just read that Amber Heard post. Goddamn. I like how science is just correct about everything.

Snyder will always be a better director than Affleck.

holeup.png
holeup.png
holeup.png

when affleck makes batman so they can be more easily compared this will sound even crazier than it does now. gone baby gone > snyder filmography

if zack had only made dawn of the dead and BvS I'd be more inclined to think that he was underrated. but he's made some real pieces of crap in between those two imo. the worst i can say about ben's output is that it's just decent.

Maaaaan, This is my World is beyond GOAT
Greatness

GodDamn
banderas.png
Damn near brings a tear to me.

bruh. i never really was into the lois/superman relationship in these 2 movies but that music and amy adams mourning clark....:mjcry

Ninjimbo

holeup.png
holeup.png
holeup.png

when affleck makes batman so they can be more easily compared this will sound even crazier than it does now. gone baby gone > snyder filmography

if zack had only made dawn of the dead and BvS I'd be more inclined to think that he was underrated. but he's made some real pieces of crap in between those two imo. the worst i can say about ben's output is that it's just decent.
I'll vouch for Gone Baby Gone since I really like that movie, but nothing outside of that rises above generic especially with The Town. Plus, Ben has this tendency to fall into sentimental bs that is kind of becoming obnoxious. You get the sense that Ben is scared to truly take his characters to the next level so you're left with these thrillers like in the Town and Argo where you can't feel the stakes. I feel like you can put any Hollywood Yes men on those two movies and you'll get similar results.

Meanwhile, with Snyder, I feel like I'm getting something unique from him and something that is,at least, thoughtful and with grander intentions. His filmography is filled with films that buck trends plus they all carry a signature look and feel that help them stand out from anything else on the market. I feel like only Snyder could have given me something like Sucker Punch, Watchmen, BvS, and MoS. What I like about Snyder the most tho, is that he trusts the audience to parse out the imagery. He'll let the movies speak for themselves and usually that leads to films that can get better on multiple viewings. You'll get different readings since they're so cinematically dense.

BvS, MoS, and Sucker Punch are good examples of this.

Affleck's movies are pretty straightforward.

I'll vouch for Gone Baby Gone since I really like that movie, but nothing outside of that rises above generic especially with The Town. Plus, Ben has this tendency to fall into sentimental bs that is kind of becoming obnoxious. You get the sense that Ben is scared to truly take his characters to the next level so you're left with these thrillers like in the Town and Argo where you can't feel the stakes. I feel like you can put any Hollywood Yes men on those two movies and you'll get similar results.

Meanwhile, with Snyder, I feel like I'm getting something unique from him and something that is,at least, thoughtful and with grander intentions. His filmography is filled with films that buck trends plus they all carry a signature look and feel that help them stand out from anything else on the market. I feel like only Snyder could have given me something like Sucker Punch, Watchmen, BvS, and MoS. What I like about Snyder the most tho, is that he trusts the audience to parse out the imagery. He'll let the movies speak for themselves and usually that leads to films that can get better on multiple viewings. You'll get different readings since they're so cinematically dense.

BvS, MoS, and Sucker Punch are good examples of this.

Affleck's movies are pretty straightforward.

Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino make very straightforward movies as well. Being vague, ambiguous, and "dense" =/= better

Ninjimbo

Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino make very straightforward movies as well. Being vague, ambiguous, and "dense" =/= better
It's better for me, most of the time. It's why I don't have any Scorsese or Tarantino movies in my top ten even though I admire the shit out of their work. Something like In The Mood For Love will hit me harder than something like Jackie Brown.

Boem

"those were experiences but m im, im , im, im, im , umm, im....

Speak for fucks sakes man.

Jeez

Ehm. Not cool.

Dan Harmon has made some good rants about remarks like that on his podcast. Some people just stutter a bit (and he's really not that bad).

I know this is just a forum and he'll never read it of course, but I've seen people tear into stutterers like that irl and it's always the most painful thing. As someone who stutters himself sometimes, eh. Not a fan of that attitude.

Tbh I don't think any actors talent has been utilized all that well in these films since Nolan left aside from James McAvoy

Could say Michael Shannon too but that guy works his ass off in everything. Even small funny or die videos

Thats an interesting video. Seems Garfield really loved spiderman and the Cast and crew but ultimately was soured by the movies because they got out of control and spiraled into that garbage

Amy Adams has a point too that a lot of times the character is in service of the story rather than the other way around. A movie like spiderman 2 is a rarity now :(

Oh well. Hopefully Logan is as refreshing as its trailer marketed it as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom