• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

What's the consensus on Batman Returns in here?

One of my favorites. I too was surprised to learn some didn't like it that much. Of the live action Batman solo films it's in my top three with Batman '89 and The Dark Knight. I've yet to decide upon an order to be honest. I always felt that Burton and Keaton's Batman/Bruce was appropriately disturbed. Bale's Batman/Bruce is to well adjusted at times for me.

BadAss2961

I still love Returns, but it's a Tim Burton movie under a Batman skin. Clear as day if you know Burton movies then revisit this. Just bizarre.

WhiteWolf

I really enjoyed Batman Returns and still love watching it, but that stuffed animal scene made me cry when I watched it as a toddler... those poor stuffed animals.

a916

So is it all agreed that Batman is the next movie after Justice League?

Unless Aquaman starts shooting before that... it seems like Batman is the next film up?

So is it all agreed that Batman is the next movie after Justice League?

Unless Aquaman starts shooting before that... it seems like Batman is the next film up?

Aquaman starts shooting in the "first half" of 2017, and drops in October of 2018. Batman should start in the Spring, so it depends on when in that "first half" Aquaman starts shooting.

WhiteWolf

Now that the 2016 is coming to a close, what is everyone's favorite DC related entertainment that you saw, read, or played this past year? It didn't necessarily have to come out in 2016.

Favorite movie: BvS easily. The only other DC movies I saw for the first time this year are Suicide Squad (enjoyed the performances from some of the cast, but that's about it) and Son of Batman (didn't like it much at all). BvS is definitely in my top 10 comic book movies, maybe top 5, and Batfleck is by far my favorite on screen Batman (film or TV).
I also enjoyed Eisenberg as Lex.

Favorite TV show: Season 2 of iZombie. I really dig this show, easily my favorite DC/Vertigo show. Season 2 has been a blast (about 2/3rds through) even though it does dip into CW romance cheese every now and then.

Favorite game: Batman Telltale. I have only finished episode 1 so far, but I really enjoyed it. I hope Telltale gets to do more takes on other DC IPs (Superman or Hellblazer would be sweet).

Now that the 2016 is coming to a close, what is everyone's favorite DC related entertainment that you saw, read, or played this past year? It didn't necessarily have to come out in 2016.

Favorite movie: BvS easily. The only other DC movies I saw for the first time this year are Suicide Squad (enjoyed the performances from some of the cast, but that's about it) and Son of Batman (didn't like it much at all). BvS is definitely in my top 10 comic book movies, maybe top 5, and Batfleck is by far my favorite on screen Batman (film or TV).
I also enjoyed Eisenberg as Lex.

Favorite TV show: Season 2 of iZombie. I really dig this show, easily my favorite DC/Vertigo show. Season 2 has been a blast (about 2/3rds through) even though it does dip into CW romance cheese every now and then.

Favorite game: Batman Telltale. I have only finished episode 1 so far, but I really enjoyed it. I hope Telltale gets to do more takes on other DC IPs (Superman or Hellblazer would be sweet).

Movie: Definitely BvS: UC. I'd go as far as to say its probably my favourite superhero movie of the last 8 or so years.
Comic: Rebirth. Got me real hopeful and excited for the future of DC comics after being abit meh about it save for a few titles.
Game: Arkham Knight. Didnt come out this year but I loved it. I can understand the complaints about the Batmobile sections but driving it is so damn fun I dont even care. And that Batfleck skin is godlike.
Show: Justice League Action. Not many episodes have come out but I loved what I saw and can't wait for more. Not many contenders to choose from anyway tbh as I've kinda fallen out of love with the CW shows.

I don't think that will be the subtitle. It's too comic booky for the larger audience.

The cowl looks cool tho, very anime. But isnt batman dropping the heavy armor for that tactical nite owl suit instead.

I don't think that will be the subtitle. It's too comic booky for the larger audience.

The cowl looks cool tho, very anime. But isnt batman dropping the heavy armor for that tactical nite owl suit instead.

Apparently the tactical suit is mainly for the Flying Fox and other vehicles. I suppose his armor could appear during the final stand, but who knows. I'm not 100% on it being anything more than a fan creation, especially since the pics just materialized. No one seems to know the OP. Until a trailer comes out with the possible new subtitle, I'm treating this as fake. Would love to be wrong though.

My dudes. The superman Bros in our community will have an aneurysm here haha, sorry for the rant; but isn't it comforting that no matter how much shit the DC movie universe gets that batman still feels like a safe property going forward.

The dude is taken care of. Feels cathartic really. Grew up on burton and the cartoons. And then during the teenage growing up years I got something as ambitious as the Nolan trilogy. And now Wayne/Alfred are the most confident casting decisions the DCEU has made aside from perhaps Zod and Lois. Bless up. Have always been ambivalent about comic cinematic universes as a whole but batman seems safe.

Bless up to snyder too btw. Always used to shit on the guy but he ultimately took a chance on these actors and this aesthetic. I think he has a lot of room for improvement but he's an interesting voice in the genre no doubt.

Real or not it's a nice streamlining of his BvS armor. Ideally the suit is less bulky as well. And while I'm fine with the suit enhancing his strength, I don't want him to be Iron Batman with flying and all.

Ninjimbo

My dudes. The superman Bros in our community will have an aneurysm here haha, sorry for the rant; but isn't it comforting that no matter how much shit the DC movie universe gets that batman still feels like a safe property going forward.

The dude is taken care of. Feels cathartic really. Grew up on burton and the cartoons. And then during the teenage growing up years I got something as ambitious as the Nolan trilogy. And now Wayne/Alfred are the most confident casting decisions the DCEU has made aside from perhaps Zod and Lois. Bless up. Have always been ambivalent about comic cinematic universes as a whole but batman seems safe.

Bless up to snyder too btw. Always used to shit on the guy but he ultimately took a chance on these actors and this aesthetic. I think he has a lot of room for improvement but he's an interesting voice in the genre no doubt.
You have more confidence in Ben as a director than I do. I honestly don't know what the hell Ben is going for in his movies these days. I've seen all his movies and there's nothing really tying them together (Argo, The Town, Gone Baby Gone are all different) so I don't know what his Batman movie could look like. That in and of itself is pretty exciting, but part of me wonders if Ben really wants to chase what Snyder established in BvS. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed.

As an aside, going by how much I've seen you warm up to Snyder over the past few months, I feel like you'll be calling BvS an under appreciated masterpiece in a year.

I'll take the W with humility.

IconGrist

It's just the era we're in right now. Batman is the hot thing. There was a time when Superman was the hot thing. There also was a time when Shazam was the hot thing. You put quality work into a character and the people will flock to it. Superman has not been taken care of as well as Batman has these days.

I watched an interesting little segment that sort of defined the fall of Superman. Basically the theory was interest in the character started to die when his role became more about fighting huge fantastical threats rather than handling the smaller political and/or criminal elements of Earth. People seemed to care more about crime fighter Superman than galactic savior Superman. Superman used to monologue more about his views and share them with the public rather than personal musings around Bruce, Diana and the like.

Bleepey

Just wondering is there anything i missed?

IyK86Ai.png

Bleepey

I think it's all there. I'm glad we have a flow chart now. I found BvS's plot relatively easy to follow but so many reviews and people call it a mess. I can admit it's kinda complicated.

I'd love for someone to do the same with Civil War and someone explain to me how all roads lead to them fighting without a shit tonne of luck or winging it. I need to watch Civil War again and possibly do a similar flow chart. See if Zemo's plan holds water, IMO it doesn't but it will be fun to do.

edit: the Africa Incident should lead to senate bombing.

IconGrist

I'd love for someone to do the same with Civil War and someone explain to me how all roads lead to them fighting without a shit tonne of luck or winging it. I need to watch Civil War again and possibly do a similar flow chart. See if Zemo's plan holds water, IMO it doesn't but it will be fun to do.

edit: the Africa Incident should lead to senate bombing.

I'm still trying to figure out how #teamstark knew what airport #teamcap was at and when.

Bit of an info dump, thank the maker. I could see a Justice League trailer attached to Live By Night, but I don't know how much of an overlap those audiences will be. Maybe a Christmas day drop online? That would be one hell of a present.

Bit of an info dump, thank the maker. I could see a Justice League trailer attached to Live By Night, but I don't know how much of an overlap those audiences will be. Maybe a Christmas day drop online? That would be one hell of a present.

TELL US!

In spoiler tags, and how you liked it without tags.

TELL US!

In spoiler tags, and how you liked it without tags.

Oh no no I'm just saying that Instagram post the guy did was anot info dump haha. I kinda figured Batman would be filmed on lot so no surprise there.

I wish I had connects to... well anything really haha. I mean shit, you had a hell of a reveal recently (thanks for that btw).

As an aside, going by how much I've seen you warm up to Snyder over the past few months, I feel like you'll be calling BvS an under appreciated masterpiece in a year.

Dios mio. I would never go that far. I like it relative to most comic cinematic universe movies but it's too problematic to call a masterpiece. That's a strong word.

Penguin

I'd say it doesn't necessarily mean we'll great a trailer by the end of the month but may start up a viral marketing campaign or something.

I'd say it doesn't necessarily mean we'll great a trailer by the end of the month but may start up a viral marketing campaign or something.

And people say a trailer this month is early hahaha. A viral marketing campaign is way, WAY too early. I mean hell, did anything good happen with the ARGUS site? That fizzled out quick. If we get an ARGUS, I'm not expectingredients it to start until at least SDCC.

Ninjimbo

Dios mio. I would never go that far. I like it relative to most comic cinematic universe movies but it's too problematic to call a masterpiece. That's a strong word.
It is strong, but that's how I'm feeling about it nowadays. It's meets all my criteria anyway. The things people point out as problems don't really affect me when I view it. I have no problems putting it next to TDK and Watchmen and I think it's Snyder's best work. If not a masterpiece in a general sense, it's certainly his masterpiece.

Personally, I'm never bored watching it. It hooks me from beginning to end. That's just me tho.

Bleepey

It is strong, but that's how I'm feeling about it nowadays. It's meets all my criteria anyway. The things people point out as problems don't really affect me when I view it. I have no problems putting it next to TDK and Watchmen and I think it's Snyder's best work. If not a masterpiece in a general sense, it's certainly his masterpiece.

Personally, I'm never bored watching it. It hooks me from beginning to end. That's just me tho.

I agree with you, maybe not in a year. I feel the film's plot, themes and characterisations (Lex is a bit iffy even if i think the hate is undeserved) hold to scrutiny. People will trip over themselves to find plot holes in BVS and ignore explanations but overlook them in CW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom