• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the consensus on Batman Returns in here?

As a Batman movie?

1. Phantasm
2. Begins
3. Returns
(actually might be over Begins because the best of that movie wasn't technically "Batman" yet )

Love the hell out of Returns,
Visually and audibly it is one of my favorite movies ever made.
12313785460391.jpg
13871126519734.jpg

snapshot20090103221511.jpg
hero_still-of-michelle-pfeiffer-and-michael-keaton-in-batman-returns.jpg

br7.jpg

batman-returns-1992-movie-catwoman-at-window-cartoon-cat-review-costume-michelle-pfeiffer-review.jpg
batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-1510.jpg
that soundtrack at the very least in the hero genre is second only to Mask of the Phantasm

Fuck the haters. Honestly I wish WB would get with Burton about an animated sequel at the very least.

Ninjimbo

I like seeing all the Returns love. I've had a feeling it wasn't well regarded especially after Nolan's trilogy, but you guys are alright.

It's actually a pretty good Christmas movie too. Might be time for rewatch!

Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it
But a kiss can be deadlier if you mean it
This line. When Selina and Bruce say it to each other at the party and realize who they really are, what a great moment.

Watching the Returns special features recently I got a little mad and a little sad when Burton said the execs basically told him to step down when he was ready to go into a third movie. Fuck those guys for listening to those whinging parents. Oh what could have been,

Sorry guys. Batman returns is awful. Horrible dialogue (catwoman in particular, who is basically the precursor to the pun-filled nonsense we got with Mr. Freeze), awful interpretation of penguin, and boring Bruce Wayne in full effect,and none of the humor hits at all. Fuck that movie. Batman forever is actually better to me. I will concede that it's visually striking, but that's about as far as I'll go.

kmfdmpig

Sorry guys. Batman returns is awful. Horrible dialogue (catwoman in particular, who is basically the precursor to the pun-filled nonsense we got with Mr. Freeze), awful interpretation of penguin, and boring Bruce Wayne in full effect,and none of the humor hits at all. Fuck that movie. Batman forever is actually better to me. I will concede that it's visually striking, but that's about as far as I'll go.

I agree. Forever was bad (Tommy Lee Jones could not have been worse), but I'd still put it over Returns.

If I had to rank the live action films it would be:

Dark Knight >Begins >> Batman (89) >> Dark Knight Rises >>>> Batman Forever >>Batman Returns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Batman and Robin

Loxley

Amen brother.

Bleepey

I love Tim Burton's otherworldly Gotham. Modern Gotham is cool and all and not knocking Snyder or Nolan but I love the unapologetic comic book aesthetic of Burton's world.

bryanee

I agree. Forever was bad (Tommy Lee Jones could not have been worse), but I'd still put it over Returns.

If I had to rank the live action films it would be:

Dark Knight >Begins >> Batman (89) >> Dark Knight Rises >>>> Batman Forever >>Batman Returns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Batman and Robin

Batman and Robin is better than Forever.

Forever is a mess of a film that tries to be something in between the Burton movies and Batman and Robin and fails at both. Robin doesnt have Jones and Carrey doing shit Joker impressions for the entire flick either.

Forever is a mess of a film that tries to be something in between the Burton movies and Batman and Robin and fails at both. Robin doesnt have Jones and Carrey doing shit Joker impressions for the entire flick either.

Can't disagree more. Forever was far more enjoyable. Plus it has by far the most quintessential 90'so soundtrack, Trainspotting be damned.

Everything Batman Forever does poorly, Batman and Robin does so much worse - including the villains. I'd take Carrey's Joker impressions over the trifecta of that Freeze, Uma Thurman doing a trash Julie Newmar impression, and whatever the fuck fucking fuckedy fuck Bane was.

I think when Batman & Robin is brought up as a so bad it's good movie, everything but Arnold's Freeze is forgotten. If they made a full on send up to Batman '66, there could've been something there. But most of the movie is a snooze.

Effect

I will say TV Gotham is pretty darn good imo.

I think Gotham has the best mix between the modern Gotham of the films and Burton's gothic take that was also used in animation. I think it leans more toward what Burton did though at times. To the point where if one said Gotham was a possible prequel to the Burton films it would be hard to argue against it given how it presents itself.

I think Gotham has the best mix between the modern Gotham of the films and Burton's gothic take that was also used in animation. I think it leans more toward what Burton did though at times. To the point where if one said Gotham was a possible prequel to the Burton films it would be hard to argue against it given how it presents itself.

It would be the weirdest prequel ever, considering Harvey turns into a black man :p but I get your point

Fair points. Though knowing Warner Bros they'll probably do it following their history from their last 2 DC movies and considering Ben Affleck's movie is next week we'll just have to wait and see. I do hope they save for the Super Bowl.

Fair points. Though knowing Warner Bros they'll probably do it following their history from their last 2 DC movies and considering Ben Affleck's movie is next week we'll just have to wait and see. I do hope they save for the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl, while a large audience, is a waste. The Internet is far more effective in getting it out there.

We still need to get the Alien Covenant trailer that was rated recently. After that, JL is the only other movie I can think of that needs one.

a916

My favorite scene from any movie this year was the opening of BvS... the music, the shots... just perfect in distilling Bruce's descent into madness.

Penguin

My favorite scene from any movie this year was the opening of BvS... the music, the shots... just perfect in distilling Bruce's descent into madness.

Baby with the bath water, I feel like people just hate BvS.

But feelings on it aside, it is the best sounding and looking comic movie of the year.

Super Bowl, while a large audience, is a waste. The Internet is far more effective in getting it out there.

We still need to get the Alien Covenant trailer that was rated recently. After that, JL is the only other movie I can think of that needs one.

Not if you want people to see your tonal changes without the ability to ignore it because they hated your previous movies. You'd have 100M+ eyeballs on it at that very moment. The BvS SDCC trailer capped out at 56M views. It's not a waste if you have to do damage control and want to force people to see them -- let's be real, nobody is changing the channel during SB commercials.

Baby with the bath water, I feel like people just hate BvS.

But feelings on it aside, it is the best sounding and looking comic movie of the year.

That's one sadness going into Justice League. Larry Fong and Zimmer aren't on it. Not that Fabian Wagner and Junkie XL aren't very talented and capable replacements.

Subitai

I think WB in general would be better off showing another WW, Kong, and/or some new film they don't have a trailer for yet, if they show anything during the SB. It can be effective. I remember the first time most people saw the Matrix was during a SB XXXIII add break and then the movie came out in March. Debut a new JL trailers before game 1 of the NBA finals and before NFL opening night Thursday, which is in the beginning of Sept. both times would be after WW has been out.
Not if you want people to see your tonal changes without the ability to ignore it because they hated your previous movies. You'd have 100M+ eyeballs on it at that very moment. The BvS SDCC trailer capped out at 56M views. It's not a waste if you have to do damage control and want to force people to see them -- let's be real, nobody is changing the channel during SB commercials.
Yeah, half the people watch for just the commercials.

Yeah, half the people watch for just the commercials.

Fair enough. Hell, I solely watch it for the commercials haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom