• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a matter of personal taste. Considering how many people Luthor straight up murdered without hesitation he seemed pretty serious to me. Look at the way he tossed Lois off the top of his building. Almost like it never even occurred to him what would have happened had Superman not been there. And look at the cards Lex was holding. It wouldn't have even mattered.

He's ruthless, but as you said, he was playful. Lex of comic books wouldn't have said the things he said in that tone. For example, he wouldn't have said "I love bringing people together" in that tone or he wouldn't have put the candy in that guy's mouth. Maybe there is a comic book interpretation of him who would have done these, but based on what I have read, him being playful isn't part of his character.

IconGrist

He's ruthless, but as you said, he was playful. Lex of comic books wouldn't have said the things he said in that tone. For example, he wouldn't have said "I love bringing people together" in that tone or he wouldn't have put the candy in that guy's mouth. Maybe there is a comic book interpretation of him who would have done these, but based on what I have read, him being playful isn't part of his character.

Lex forcing that guy to eat candy isn't exactly out of comic Lex's wheelhouse. He stole 40 cakes once and that's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

strafer

Thread needs more Superman.

agunevJ.gif

5wnbHnp.gif

e6TnCg8.gif

ILLcYJp.gif

RsztLBA.gif

oVDy3fW.gif

hTBqLdU.gif

Ninjimbo

Weighing in on the Lex debate, I have to agree with Icon. Lex is pretty ruthless in BvS. To say he isn't serious is to ignore a vast portion of what's going on in the movie.

Also, I like the way Eisenberg brings that sort of mousey look to Lex. Supes and Bats are these towering figures and Lex, who is caught in between, pales in comparison. But he's also weilding a ton of power because he's manipulating all the events. Thats pretty much Lex Luthor me: driven by his intellect.

Lex isn't terribly serious in attitude here, but he's still a fantastic and intimidating villain. Extremely manipulative and fond of overt (and, frankly, creepy) displays of personal dominance. Altogether a great villain. I would be okay with them toning down some of the sillier mannerisms, though; you could justify it as him dropping the act.

This is completely random, but I had another moment of realizing that I am moving more and more from the critical consensus. I just saw Jurassic World, and then looked up reviews, I was expecting a RT in the 30s maybe, and it got a 71%, how is it horrible movies just keep getting great critical reception and friggen masterpieces like MoS are stuck as rotten. Blows my mind. I know, it's a dumb thing to harp on, but dear God in heaven, I just don't understand how that piece of shit movie got mostly positive reviews while BvS sits at 27%.

Rant over.

IconGrist

This is completely random, but I had another moment of realizing that I am moving more and more from the critical consensus. I just saw Jurassic World, and then looked up reviews, I was expecting a RT in the 30s maybe, and it got a 71%, how is it horrible movies just keep getting great critical reception and friggen masterpieces like MoS are stuck as rotten. Blows my mind. I know, it's a dumb thing to harp on, but dear God in heaven, I just don't understand how that piece of shit movie got mostly positive reviews while BvS sits at 27%.

Rant over.

The movie did not require the viewer to have a single thought the whole time, there were dinosaurs and Chris Pratt. Who at the time was the new hotness. Instant fresh rating.

I look at the review average on RT more then the big number they promote. Nothing like pretending a C student is an A student because they barely passed all of their exams.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Rant over.

6.7 to 6.2 is not a that big difference, maybe you should learn how RT works.
Audience score is almost the same, too.

I wouldn't call BvS a masterpiece or anything. It has its flaws and its strengths and you rarely read about either from most critics. I think there's a generation of critics or bloggers raised and subsisting in similar environments that developed the unfortunate AICN attitude. But the director of Doctor Strange had a classy response to, I believe to Suicide Squad and later to Doctor Strange, about how finding critics you like is far more valuable than an aggregate.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thats true. I use RT scores only for a more accurate score for a digital Is a movie good?/bad? categorizing. Everything else is just to sort it out inbetween a bit easier.
And sorry, I think that my earlier post sounds a bit rude,wasnt intended that way.

BvS is at 28 % you fucking fools. We did it!

Honestly, RT has some rotten elements in it. They are pretty inconsistent when it comes to 3/5 or 6/10, and when that's rotten/fresh.

But whatever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
BvS is at 28 % you fucking fools. We did it!

Honestly, RT has some rotten elements in it. They are pretty inconsistent when it comes to 3/5 or 6/10, and when that's rotten/fresh.

But whatever.

They are just curating the reviews. And the system has problems, I think it was Star Wars where one reviewer gave TFA something around 7/10 and gave it the Rotten mark.

Bleepey

This is a matter of personal taste. Considering how many people Luthor straight up murdered without hesitation he seemed pretty serious to me. Look at the way he tossed Lois off the top of his building. Almost like it never even occurred to him what would have happened had Superman not been there. And look at the cards Lex was holding. It wouldn't have even mattered.

A lot of people confuse "iconic" with "quality" or even something as simple as "the usual". As Cretan mentioned above all of Lex's unique traits were pretty much in play. What people seemed to have a problem with is Eisenberg's Lex being playful.Which is demonstrated above in the brief convo between guek and yourself. I also heard complaints based on Eisenberg's size but his size juxtaposed to Henry Cavill's actually works for the dynamic.
i don't know why people saw Michael Cera as Lex, he was only a Machiavellian, scheming, rich, intelligent, mad scientist business magnate that has an irrational hatred for Superman!

Ninjimbo

The reviewer gets to decide IIRC.
Honestly, I can't believe most of them would recommend Jurassic World over BvS. I TRIED watching World, but I couldn't do it. Why would anyone watch that when the first movie did everything better? Not even Bryce Dallas Howard could keep me interested.

jackdoe

Honestly, I can't believe most of them would recommend Jurassic World over BvS. I TRIED watching World, but I couldn't do it. Why would anyone watch that when the first movie did everything better? Not even Bryce Dallas Howard could keep me interested.
Bear in mind that the reviews for BvS are for the theatrical cut, which is utter garbage IMO, and I absolutely agree with recommending Jurassic World over the theatrical cit of BvS.

6.7 to 6.2 is not a that big difference, maybe you should learn how RT works.
Audience score is almost the same, too.

I know how RT works, but a 71% fresh to a 28% rating means that most reviewers even if their scores weren't high decided to give JW a pass. And again, JW was fucking awful. It has 10 minutes of cool shit, and the rest of the movie is straight up GARBAGE, and I don't use that term lightly. It has one of the worst scripts for that type of movie I have ever seen. It also had horrible performances by otherwise great actors. I guess it's mainly nostalgia.

And don't tell me DC fans wouldn't be doing backflips if one of the DCEU films got a 71%. Again, it was just a rant it probably the only safe spot on GAF to do so without getting responses of 'hurr-durr' MARTHA,

Raptor

I disagree with you, simple as that.

I watched again the JL trailer and a couple of BvS scenes to find more info on the DCEU.

Here's what I found:

As you can see in the image below with the help of the arrows, Barry has a screen which shows a city or some cities and a screen that shows the world. So, maybe Flash operates worldwide and he isn't just Central City's hero. Also, he checks how much aerodynamic his helmet is. Perhaps his suit isn't enough and needs something better, so that's why Bruce gives him a new suit. The bike could be for coverage.

EEP3UXs.jpg

The destroyed building behind Batman in the knightmare scene kinda looks like the building that was been blown up by Luthor in BvS. Maybe the knightmare scene takes place in Metropolis.

WjgIUIy.jpg

Judging from the flag and the flowers on the right, the scene takes place near Superman's official grave site.

8vQzMDa.png

And one last thing. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I wonder why there is so much gold on Flash's arm. Also, I think in this scene there is a shot with yellow lighting (I couldn't make a screenshot out of this, though and maybe I'm wrong).

dkEhj1h.jpg

Could Professor Zoom try to take Flash back? Also, note that the world in the knightmare scene is like hell, I don't think Thawne would hesitate to join the bad guys, so he stays alive.

guek

Banned
I'm watching Assault on Arkham for the first time...seeing KGBeast get rope guy'd made me laugh.

Also, this movie gives a much better reason for someone as unstable and unpredictable like Harley to be on the team.

I'm watching Assault on Arkham for the first time...seeing KGBeast get rope guy'd made me laugh.

Also, this movie gives a much better reason for someone as unstable and unpredictable like Harley to be on the team.

Agree that AoA was the superior Suicide Squad movie. I think the threat was too stupid in the theatrical movie.

I think a minor change in Suicide Squad, one people were speculating about, could've tied up some loose ends. Basically, Enchantress goes to Joker and makes a deal that if he retrieves her heart, she'll lead him to Harley. Folks thought Incubus in the trailer was Joker imbued with power anyway.

WhiteWolf

Aquaman looking good behind the scenes so far. The only thing that worries me is the screenwriter.
It's based off of a Geoff Johns draft though; at least the screenwriter is starting off in a good place.

JL, The Batman, and Aquaman are my most hyped comic movies coming out in the next 2 years. I have really high hopes for Momoa, I think he could kill it as Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom