• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
The TC is 9/10 movie for me. UC puts it squarely at an 11/10. God tier status lol.

Some times, you post like Zack Snyder makes movies just for you. And at first I'm like, man, this person is crazy, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't rock to have a big budget blockbuster director consistently make movies exactly to my taste.

Yager

Banned
Some times, you post like Zack Snyder makes movies just for you. And at first I'm like, man, this person is crazy, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't rock to have a big budget blockbuster director consistently make movies exactly to my taste.

Just him? I think you got it wrong mate.

There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

I'm pretty damn intrigued how the Aquaman centered action sequences are like. There's a lot of uncharted territory there for underwater action (with a man that can control sea life as well) and I will be a bit disappointed if it's just him punching some bad guys.

Between Aquaman and Avatar 2 in 2018, one of them should deliver underwater action. I dug the very brief bit of him flying through the water. I just hope they find a way around actors clearly holding their breath. Mostly expecting Atlantis to be like the Gungan city in The Phantom Menace, with all the underwater domes.

Loxley

Lmao as if other franchises wouldn't have the same 'issues'

If you guys don't want critical discussion about the DCEU then stay in this thread.

I mean, if you want to call DCEU threads that are usually at least 50-60% drive-by shitposts "critical discussion", then sure.

Plenty of critical discussion goes on in this thread, but if folks enjoy the DCEU despite its faults there really isn't any other place on GAF to talk about it in any positive light. That's the beauty of community threads. You can engage in a conversation about something you enjoy with other like-minded folks. Considering the majority of threads relating to the DCEU end up turning into dumpster fires of Chris Evans/Sad Affleck memes and negativity, you could forgive folks who actually like these movies for wanting to stick around here instead.

I'm absolutely not the biggest fan of the DCEU right now - I feel like it's all gone downhill since Man of Steel. However, if this thread was nothing but people talking about how much the DCEU sucked I would have bounced out a long time ago.

I mean, if you want to call DCEU threads that are usually at least 50-60% drive-by shitposts "critical discussion", then sure.

Plenty of critical discussion goes on in this thread, but if folks enjoy the DCEU despite its faults there really isn't any other place on GAF to talk about it in any positive light. That's the beauty of community threads. You can engage in a conversation about something you enjoy with other like-minded folks. Considering the majority of threads relating to the DCEU end up turning into dumpster fires of Chris Evans/Sad Affleck memes and negativity, you could forgive folks who actually like these movies for wanting to stick around here instead.

I'm absolutely not the biggest fan of the DCEU right now - I feel like it's all gone downhill since Man of Steel. However, if this thread was nothing but people talking about how much the DCEU sucked I would have bounced out a long time ago.

I'll add, conversely, if this thread was purely talking positive about Warner's DC movies, it wouldn't be all that interesting. It's what's confusing when non-regular members comment about it. I've seen other places on the internet that totally try to be an echo chamber of praise for these movies and I don't get the value.

Effect

Lmao as if other franchises wouldn't have the same 'issues'

If you guys don't want critical discussion about the DCEU then stay in this thread.

People like this thread because it doesn't become a hate filled mess. There are plenty of disagreements in here and varying opinions of both positive and negative. I don't see people having a love fest here. What doesn't take place nor is wanted is the over the top insults, snide comments and BS that is tried to be passed off as "critical discussion". Every OT thread save for the TV shows gets filled with that nonsense at some point or another. Even then the TV threads can't escape it at times. That's why we make comments about how a thread didn't even get to the second page before the bullshit started getting lobbed at the topic. People are tired of it and this thread should not turn into those other threads. It's the only place on this forum where one can count on not having to deal with that crap. I'm sorry taking everything with a negative view, purposefully ignoring aspects of the films, etc to push your narrative, and working from the assumption those that like anything DCEU related means something is wrong with you or having everything said twisted is not critical discussion.

If I dislike something or become disinterested in something I state my piece, respectfully I hope, and then I just stay away from the topics. For those that claim to hate or are disappointed with the DCEU and state they're done with it they seem have no problem showing up time and time again to shit on it with almost every new thread that gets made in the OT. Why? How does that add to critical or thoughtful discussion? If they hate it so much and are done with it why keep talking about it?

Can thoughtful discussion take place in those threads? Sure but excuse me and others for not wanting to always stick around to wade through the garbage to get to it or assume it's going to take place at some point on page 10 or something after some people have gotten tired and moved on to the latest thread.

Ninjimbo

Lol, that's kind of how I feel about Snyder these days. Maybe it's just how much I ended up adoring BvS that I look at him in a much more positive light than most people. Every one of his movies has gotten better for me on a rewatch except Dawn of the Dead.

I ended up watching Excalibur some time ago because Snyder called it his favorite movie and I was surprised by how much I ended up enjoying it. I guess I'm just in tune with what Snyder is doing these days.

If I dislike something or become disinterested in something I state my piece, respectfully I hope, and then I just away from the topics. For those that claim to hate or are disappointed with the DCEU and state they're done with it they seem have no problem showing up time and time again to shit on it with almost every new thread that gets made in the OT. Why? How does that add to critical or thoughtful discussion? If they hate it so much and are done with it why keep talking about it?

This is the part that kills me. The ones who claim they are done with the films, yet are usually there in every new thread to add their shit post within the first couple of pages or they end up leading the post count in said threads.

If you hate something and say you're done, move on.

gamz

Between Aquaman and Avatar 2 in 2018, one of them should deliver underwater action. I dug the very brief bit of him flying through the water. I just hope they find a way around actors clearly holding their breath. Mostly expecting Atlantis to be like the Gungan city in The Phantom Menace, with all the underwater domes.

There is going to be no water. It's all CGI.

BadAss2961

Can thoughtful discussion take place in those threads? Sure but excuse me and others for not wanting to always stick around to wade through the garbage to get to it or assume it's going to take place at some point on page 10 or something after some people have gotten tired and moved on to the latest thread.
Not anymore. Not with the DCEU. I'd take it more seriously if most of them didn't love the MCU so much. For that reason alone, I can't really fuck with OT anymore. lol

Gaming side is still legit though.

Thought there was like a big man made body of water they were prepping?

I think I remember an interview where someone asked Wan and he said after his previous experience with water in another movie, he didn't want to mess with it. I'm sure there will be something shot in a tank somewhere, but I expect most of it to be CGI.

gamz

Thought there was like a big man made body of water they were prepping?

No. Zack Snyder and crew figured out some kind of system that doesn't use water and such. I'm sure Wan going to be using it also.

Jason Momoa's Aquaman was first seen during a brief cameo in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, where it was clear that he actually shot that scene underwater, and he was holding his breath in a tank. For Justice League, Zack Snyder is not shooting underwater at all, instead building a specialized rig, with one arm securing Jason Momoa and the other arm holding the camera. Both arms are programmed to move in sync with one another, allowing Jason Momoa to have a free range of motion while the camera moves around him, while the underwater environments will be filled in using CGI and green screen work on the set. The report also reveals that most of the movie will be shot on sets, with the director using green screen for background replacements.

http://movieweb.com/justice-league-aquaman-darkseid-willem-dafoe-details/

Ashhong

There was definitely a picture of a big pool of water as the set. Obviously they need some water. Who knows what's inside

Also I watched Civil War last night off Netflix. Not sure if I was just too high or what but man the CG was so obvious it took me out of it. Tony in his suit without the mask especially. Is that cg or practical because man it looked weird. Him bringing a strange 16 year kid to a big ass right against supernatural people is all sorts of fucked up. The humor was just way too much sometimes. Although Ant-Man and the Falcon/Winter Soldier dynamic are great. Definitely the standouts.

IconGrist

There was definitely a picture of a big pool of water as the set. Obviously they need some water. Who knows what's inside

Also I watched Civil War last night off Netflix. Not sure if I was just too high or what but man the CG was so obvious it took me out of it. Tony in his suit without the mask especially. Is that cg or practical because man it looked weird. Him bringing a strange 16 year kid to a big ass right against supernatural people is all sorts of fucked up. The humor was just way too much sometimes. Although Ant-Man and the Falcon/Winter Soldier dynamic are great. Definitely the standouts.

Some elements of practicality but less and less each movie. For Civil I believe he was just in the jammies. Him and Cheadle.

My sister was watching it today so I stood and watched a bit. It's just so... meh. Considering the whole plot requires characters to pull a 180 to make it work, I'm just not feeling it at all.

Loxley

The only immersion-breaking thing there could be the movement of his hair, since hair has a very distinct style of motion when underwater. I'm curious if they'll actually digitally manipulate Momoa's hair to create that effect.

They do something to that effect in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean trailer.

They say they have a separate source from BOF, but I didn't really think they had that kind of pull?

Batman-news has had some decent scoops in the past. I'd put them about Batman-on-film at this point. I don't think they've been right on much, if anything, since the early Nolan days.

Firemind

It’s always difficult narrowing a year of movies down into a list of ‘favorites,’ since no single movie can delight or entertain in all ways. If my ‘favorite’ films are the ones I wouldn’t want to have gone through 2016 without, there’s no question that Zack Snyder’s extended Batman V Superman tops my list. The film wasn’t for everyone, but as a lifelong comic fan who embraces creativity, even– no, especially when it’s applied to iconic characters, I was among those for whom the movie was made. A slow-burn, three-hour-long dose of fan-service, visual storytelling that demanded repeat viewings, a Batman torn right from the comics, and a Wonder Woman who stole the show still seems hard to believe.
But Batman kills without remorse! Give us TAS Bats!

Loxley

For good or bad, anecdotally I still see more people talking about BVS than Civil War. I think that may say more about Civil War than anything, but still. BVS is certainly way more of a conversation/debate starter XD

firelogic

I wouldn't say that BvS is a masterpiece but it's definitely my favourite comic book movie since Iron Man, and there's been A LOT of them released in that time.

I don't get the love affair with Civil War at all. It's not even a war. It's an altercation that lasts a few minutes.

If anything, I favour the DCEU because they're trying something different and Snyder's movies look like comic books come to life. They just ooze style and have great action, which a comic book should have. Plus his movies attempt to tell a different kind of story. Superman before he becomes Superman. Superman shortly after he's Superman, when he's still unsure of his role in the world. Doesn't want to be a god but doesn't want to be hated either. Conflicted like anyone would be in his situation. You can clearly see a character arc for him from movie to movie and in Justice League, we'll probably see the Superman that all the haters have been complaining about not seeing in MoS and BvS.

Same goes for Batman. He was brutal and uncaring in BvS. Snyder wanted to show that he had lost all hope and was just sick of it all and how his previous methods clearly didn't work. People complained about him being "not their Batman" because of the killing. Well, Snyder wanted to show the effect Superman has on him. By the end of the movie, Bruce has regained hope through Superman's sacrifice. In Justice League we'll see the Batman that people complained about not seeing in BvS (which actually sucks because I want more of brutal Batman). Snyder has a plan.

Ninjimbo

Screen Rant put their Editor's together to list each of their Top 5 Favorite Movies of 2016. Interesting part is Batman v Superman (UC) is listed 3 times plus 2 honorable mentions. Civil War on the other hand was listed once plus one honorable mention.
Civil War wasn't really all that good. I think it's competently made but it doesn't really do enough to leave any lasting impression. I can see BvS lingering around because there's bound to some people who really enjoy what it does and BvS delivers that in style.

Honestly, that shot of Aquaman in BvS is probably the worst shot in that movie. But he got kinda redeemed in the trailer we got for Justice League.

Penguin

Civil War wasn't really all that good. I think it's competently made but it doesn't really do enough to leave any lasting impression. I can see BvS lingering around because there's bound to some people who really enjoy what it does and BvS delivers that in style.

Probably not the thread for this, but always liken the MCU to fast food. You love it in the moment, but it doesn't really stick with you in any fashion. Like no one ever talks about the amazing McDonalds cheeseburger they've had.

DC on the other hand is like that experimental Korean Mexican BBQ place ran by Americans. The taste isn't what you want or expect and it isn't for everyone, but it does leave you talking (for better or worse)

Ross61

I kinda liked Civil War. But watching the whole movie, I just felt so unmoved and kinda bored with every scene that didn't have Black Panther in it. I expected The Dark Knight from how people were hyping it up, and left with a "this is fine."

Ninjimbo

Probably not the thread for this, but always liken the MCU to fast food. You love it in the moment, but it doesn't really stick with you in any fashion. Like no one ever talks about the amazing McDonalds cheeseburger they've had.

DC on the other hand is like that experimental Korean Mexican BBQ place ran by Americans. The taste isn't what you want or expect and it isn't for everyone, but it does leave you talking (for better or worse)
Now I want Korean Mexican BBQ.

But I think the analogy is more appropriate than you realize. You know how fast food becomes indistinguishable after a certain point? The burgers at Wendy's, BK and McDonalds all taste the same. I got those kind of vibes from Civil War as I watched it. I love RDJ's Iron Man but for some reason I couldn't quite shake the sense that I had seen it all before. The fatigue was real.

Yager

Banned
I kinda liked Civil War. But watching the whole movie, I just felt so unmoved and kinda bored with every scene that didn't have Black Panther in it. I expected The Dark Knight from how people were hyping it up, and left with a "this is fine."

That's every Marvel movie ever.

Penguin

Now I want Korean Mexican BBQ.

But I think the analogy is more appropriate than you realize. You know how fast food becomes indistinguishable after a certain point? The burgers at Wendy's, BK and McDonalds all taste the same. I got those kind of vibes from Civil War as I watched it. I love RDJ's Iron Man but for some reason I couldn't quite shake the sense that I had seen it all before. The fatigue was real.

To continue this realy screwy analogy.

Like there isn't a great diff, but I do prefer Wendy's burger, some prefer Mickey D, etc

Just depends on your taste, but not something you crave often, but never not in the mood for it

Seems others are coming around...

http://blog.midtowncomics.com/blog/12943

Batman v Superman didn't give me the story I wanted, but it's one that I've come to appreciate more and more with every viewing, and the director's cut definitely enhances Superman's story – I strongly recommend it if you're willing to give the movie another chance.

IconGrist

Yea, I've seen a lot of recent praise for the UC at least. Seems people are coming around. Not in droves obviously but much more than I expected in this time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom