• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

I think BvS will age well. I mean, I think I can recognize a worthless film when I see it and BvS nor MoS fall into that category. I've seen movies that are straight up trash like Hellraiser: Deader. I wish more people saw that so they can know what a really bad movie looks like.

SS falls more into that I feel. That movie could never find a groove to get into.

Ahasverus

BvS UC will be studied 30 years down the line and will be remembered as a misjudged film. The critics went for the jugular in a stupid game of who could roast it better. Remember when it was the Donald Trump of movies?

Bleepey

I think BVS is a movie thats hard to follow that has a plot that mostly holds up under scrutiny.

I think Civil War is a movie that is easier to follow but has a plot that honestly doesn't really hold up under scrutiny.

I just find it shocking how much of a higher standard Snyder is held too. This was the case with Watchmen too. People shit on the ending but it makes perfect sense.

guek

Banned
Screen Rant put their Editor's together to list each of their Top 5 Favorite Movies of 2016. Interesting part is Batman v Superman (UC) is listed 3 times plus 2 honorable mentions. Civil War on the other hand was listed once plus one honorable mention.
TBH, that's the first best of 2016 list that I've seen with BvS on it.

I think the only comicbook movies that will be "studied" in years to come are The Dark Knight and Avengers and the latter strictly as an example of commercial success.

You guys are free to believe BvS is a good movie but at best, it'll gain a small cult following like MoS and be remembered as divisive and little more.

Ninjimbo

TBH, that's the first best of 2016 list that I've seen with BvS on it.

I think the only comicbook movies that will be "studied" in years to come are The Dark Knight and Avengers and the latter strictly as an example of commercial success.

You guys are free to believe BvS is a good movie but at best, it'll gain a small cult following like MoS and be remembered as divisive and little more.
Divisive is a lot better than trash which is what detractors would have you believe BvS is. I'll take it. Some of the best movies of all time are considered divisive like Blade Runner or Stalker.

guek

Banned
Divisive is a lot better than trash which is what detractors would have you believe BvS is. I'll take it. Some of the best movies of all time are considered divisive like Blade Runner or Stalker.

To be fair though, the vast majority of opinions on BvS is based on the TC (which I know you love but...c'mon). The TC really tarnished any chance of the UC being better appreciated out of the gate since the TC set the tone for the UC's reception. I think you're right though that time will be kinder to the UC as people continue to see it as the "true" cut of the movie, relegating the TC to the trash heap.

Ninjimbo

To be fair though, the vast majority of opinions on BvS is based on the TC (which I know you love but...c'mon). The TC really tarnished any chance of the UC being better appreciated out of the gate since the TC set the tone for the UC's reception. I think you're right though that time will be kinder to the UC as people continue to see it as the "true" cut of the movie, relegating the TC to the trash heap.
I've only see the TC once and that was in theaters and I was blown away. I haven't seen it again but I really doubt the cut stuff added in that much more to make the movie any different. I get more Clark, more Lois, more Lex and KGBeast, but all the core stuff that I like about BvS like the story of finding hope in a hopeless world is still all there in the TC.

I don't think it's a Kingdom of Heaven style situation where someone thought removing an hour of the movie was a sane thing to do. The TC is the naked body of a good movie.

Ahasverus

haven't seen it again but I really doubt the cut stuff added in that much more to make the movie any different. I get more Clark, more Lois, more Lex and KGBeast, but all the core stuff that I like about BvS like the story of finding hope in a hopeless world is still all there in the TC.

I don't think it's a Kingdom of Heaven style situation where someone thought removing an hour of the movie was a sane thing to do. The TC is the naked body of a good movie.
Disagree a lot. They just completely erased Clark from the TC. His motivation is crucial to the central conflict. Also, Steppenwolf.

Peru

What faces do these people want Gal to make?

People are getting so anal about trailers - I wish they spent as much time analyzing the movies themselves. The incredible amount of hand-wringing over lines delivered in the Rogue One trailers, for example - and then the movie's out and no one has any problems with acting or delivery. But people are getting so strung up over blockbusters, for some reason, they will judge a character down and under based on out of context turns of head in a choppy trailer. Quite incredible. Not to mention reactions to trailers are so often opposite to that of the movie.

Ninjimbo

Maybe I should give the TC a rewatch. I honestly don't remember what was cut from Clark's story. Everything I know about BvS I draw from the UC.

Senoculum

I will just echo that the Ultimate Cut was my favourite film of last year. Great screenwriting, awesome structure, and everything they were trying to achieve thematically was immediately recogniized in my camp, which certainly engaged some fun conversations (as any tentpole movie should!). My only beef with the film was that the batmobile action sequence was dullish and it had unneeded slow motion. The cinematography is also off the charts; I even love the winding interiors and the overcast exteriors.

It's a filmmaker's dream, the whole movie; I totally felt the commanding hand of wicked stunt coordinators, grips and gaffers, cameramen and women, costume designers and prop masters, and the post-production team.

Maybe I should give the TC a rewatch. I honestly don't remember what was cut from Clark's story. Everything I know about BvS I draw from the UC.

Everything. He doesn't go to Gotham, scenes of him watching various news reports were trimmed, and so on and so on. Plus, they cut why Perry wanted him to focus on the Gotham game instead. In the TC it was really weird he wanted him to focus so much on a football game instead of all this other shit. A fistfight breaking out makes it slightly better.

Bleepey

I honestly think BVS is the definitive Batman movie. You see a scheming Lex, a detective Batman, a selfless Superman, Arkham style fighting and brutality and the unity of the trinity. Could it be improved? Sure. I think if they toned down Lex's eccentricities which didn't bother me but annoyed a lot of people, added a bit more dialogue in some scenes (e.g Have Superman take KGBEAST (for carrying a gargling gun) to the police station and lecture Batman that crime fighting should be reserved for law enforcement or something along those lines, forcing him to steal the kryptonite from a police station), also a few more dialogue changes and script punch ups to better explain shit like the Africa incident and it would be perfect. You would probably only need to add 5 more minutes to the film

J_Viper

What faces do these people want Gal to make?

UyfeKGq.png

I really like BvS (and Civil War, since it came up earlier). The more I learn about the production, the more I feel had they went for a stricter adaptation of Terrio's script, the more I'd love it. As it is I feel it's a "great, but" film. To use a different analogy, it's a student handing in a wonderful paper on a unique topic, with sound research and compelling arguments, but it's riddled with grammatical errors.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched that new international WW trailer... am I missing something? I didn't see one new shot or scene in it. Why was it even posted?

Effect

Just watched that new international WW trailer... am I missing something? I didn't see one new shot or scene in it. Why was it even posted?
It looked the same as the other trailer but the scenes were moved around. I don't recall seeing any new footage. Unless some people weren't paying attention to the first full trailer and are seeing stuff they missed before.

As for that thread. Weren't there people that showed up here not to long ago and kinda said that kind of stuff didn't happen in the OT threads?

lol at that Wonder Woman tread. Like clock work.

I dunno... I think people may be right about her acting ability. I mean, did you see the new trailer? Her accent is so bad it was almost as if she was speaking another language!

lol GAF sometimes I swear...

BadAss2961

I will just echo that the Ultimate Cut was my favourite film of last year. Great screenwriting, awesome structure, and everything they were trying to achieve thematically was immediately recogniized in my camp, which certainly engaged some fun conversations (as any tentpole movie should!). My only beef with the film was that the batmobile action sequence was dullish and it had unneeded slow motion. The cinematography is also off the charts; I even love the winding interiors and the overcast exteriors.

It's a filmmaker's dream, the whole movie; I totally felt the commanding hand of wicked stunt coordinators, grips and gaffers, cameramen and women, costume designers and prop masters, and the post-production team.
The part where he leads the guy into the truck as the chorus ramps up is so hype though.

Firemind

Also that shot where he doesn't give a fuck about a rocket launched his general direction. Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney would have just disintegrated.

Cheebo

Banned
Wonder Woman is going to be the better received of the two DC movies next year, the toxic reception to BvS and the Zach Synder factor pretty much locks that in.

Ninjimbo

Wonder Woman is going to be the better received of the two DC movies next year, the toxic reception to BvS and the Zach Synder factor pretty much locks that in.
Nah. Snyder's involvement in WW is going to guarantee a 40%.

Although that means the movie will probably be pretty lit.

Cheebo

Banned
Nah. Snyder's involvement in WW is going to guarantee a 40%.

Although that means the movie will probably be pretty lit.
Snyder didn't do Wonder Woman. And WB is never going to let Snyder go full Synder again after what happened with BvS. Justice League is going to be waaaay more light hearted and optimistic than BvS.

All of the changes over at DC for the films was WB basically going "yeah we fucked up". You aren't going see full on Synder-ish DC movies anymore.

WB wants that Avengers $$$$ that is their number one priority.

IconGrist

Snyder didn't do Wonder Woman. And WB is never going to let Snyder go full Synder again after what happened with BvS. Justice League is going to be waaaay more light hearted and optimistic than BvS.

All of the changes over at DC for the films was WB basically going "yeah we fucked up". You aren't going see full on Synder-ish DC movies anymore.

Snyder developed the story for WW.

And the Snyder's have been saying JL would be much lighter than BvS since before BvS released.

Effect

Snyder developed the story for WW.

And the Snyder's have been saying JL would be much lighter than BvS since before BvS released.

This needs to be repeated over and over again. Some people like to ignore this when talking about JL. BvS was always said to be the darker of the trilogy (MoS, BvS, JL) and they were saying that before BvS released and not near it's release either but a good deal before I believe.

firelogic

WB wants that Avengers $$$$ that is their number one priority.

I don't think JL will be lighter because of any flack from WB or fallout from critics. It seems to me that he wanted to start darker/somber with Man of Steel, amp it up with BvS for obvious reasons, and then with how BvS ended, with Superman's supreme sacrifice and the world uniting in their admiration for what Superman did for Earth, and the effect he had on a dejected Batman, JL was always going to be optimistic.

Ninjimbo

This needs to be repeated over and over again. Some people like to ignore this when talking about JL. BvS was always said to be the darker of the trilogy (MoS, BvS, JL) and they were saying that before BvS released and not near it's release either but a good deal before I believe.
Yeah, Terrio and Snyder have been saying that for awhile. The only new tidbit I think was from Roven himself when he said a change that they made in JL was that they were going to get to the lighter stuff much faster.

Bleepey

I really like BvS (and Civil War, since it came up earlier). The more I learn about the production, the more I feel had they went for a stricter adaptation of Terrio's script, the more I'd love it. As it is I feel it's a "great, but" film. To use a different analogy, it's a student handing in a wonderful paper on a unique topic, with sound research and compelling arguments, but it's riddled with grammatical errors.

What do you mean? Did the script leak?

Odoul

Something Zack Snyder loves that was missing from BvS was real world music playing over scenes.

The scene where Clark sees the school bus that triggers his childhood was one of my favorite scenes from Man of Steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-ZD9kXXcA

BvS was so busy and Justice League probably will be too for that though.

So when did people decide Wonder Woman was awful? Wasn't she like the second most praised part of BvS? The trailers have been well received, but now apparently it looks like the WW movie is the worst shit ever? GAF I guess.

Ninjimbo

So when did people decide Wonder Woman was awful? Wasn't she like the second most praised part of BvS? The trailers have been well received, but now apparently it looks like the WW movie is the worst shit ever? GAF I guess.
Gal has always had haters. And for some reason some people think you have to be an Oscar winning actor to portray a superhero nowadays. It's unfair as all hell, but you can't do anything about it. It is what it is.

I'm just waiting for the review thread when all those people take the masks off and stop acting like they need to give the movie an honest chance before they can spout off their hate.

Nah. Gal is wooden as fuck. Looks great in the part but it's not that high of an expectation to hope for somebody who can recite a line without looking so struggle. Y'all are really exaggerating the criticisms. It's not an unreasonable thing to say shes got a lot to prove.

This is all moot until we see wonder woman anyways but man she was pretty wack in that funeral scene at the end of BVS for example

Ninjimbo

Nah. Gal is wooden as fuck. Looks great in the part but it's not that high of an expectation to hope for somebody who can recite a line without looking so struggle. Y'all are really exaggerating the criticisms. It's not an unreasonable thing to say shes got a lot to prove.

This is all moot until we see wonder woman anyways but man she was pretty wack in that funeral scene at the end of BVS for example
Wack? Dude, it's just like two lines and she sounds fine. What's it supposed to sound like?

Yep, she is awful. I don't care about her figure. She is just bad.

Wack? Dude, it's just like two lines and she sounds fine. What's it supposed to sound like?

Not like shit?

Peru

People who act in English when English is not their first language - some viewers have a hard time adjusting to that. Picking on individual lines, which is all we have of this character so far, hardly makes sense. Intonation can be affected by your foreign accent so while your performance can be good and feel real just hearing a line out of context people will focus on intonation above everything and that's not really fair. It's in fact quite ridiculous to claim that a performance will be poor because of the intonation of a line delivered - if that was the problem of the actor it could've easily been fixed by a new take by the director spelling out the 'right' intonation - but that won't be the problem. The performance may be good or bad but not by the criteria mentioned here.

strafer

RDJ probably giving his worst ever performance as Tony Stark yet people seem to praise his portrayal so forgive me if I don't take NeoGAFs opinion seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom