• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I think Marion Cotillard is alright in English. Not as good as her French speaking performances but she's been pretty good in some flicks

Gadot is just crap. She seems pretty uncharismatic in everything I've seen her in so far.

And wtf at the RDJ comment. He basically had civil war on his back

Nah I think Marion Cotillard is alright in English. Not as good as her French speaking performances but she's been pretty good in some flicks

Gadot is just crap. She seems pretty uncharismatic in everything I've seen her in so far.

Truth.

Typical DC fanboy salt.

People who act in English when English is not their first language - some viewers have a hard time adjusting to that. Picking on individual lines, which is all we have of this character so far, hardly makes sense. Intonation can be affected by your foreign accent so while your performance can be good and feel real just hearing a line out of context people will focus on intonation above everything and that's not really fair. It's in fact quite ridiculous to claim that a performance will be poor because of the intonation of a line delivered - if that was the problem of the actor it could've easily been fixed by a new take by the director spelling out the 'right' intonation - but that won't be the problem. The performance may be good or bad but not by the criteria mentioned here.

Man, now I'm imagining what GAF threads about old Arnold movies back in the day would have been:

"He's so wooden!"
"Can't even do a good accent! I just don't buy him as a man named John Matrix!"
"'Hear the Lamentations of their Women?' LOL! Worst actor ever!"
"Why does a robot have an accent?"

Ninjimbo

Charisma is basically something that can't be quantified. You either have it or you don't and it works on multiple levels. There's no dearth of people saying that Gal's presence alone saved BvS for them.

I still don't think there's enough in her cameo in BvS to justify calling her a shit actress. It screams of hot take hyperbole shit to me. But we'll know soon enough.

Also, I remain unconvinced that you need a good actor to sell one of these superhero roles. Ben kinda blows as an actor yet he has the best Batman to ever grace the screen.

Plus, how many of us watched and loved those old school Jackie Chan flicks? We all recognize that dude is limited but we all love watching him anyway. The same goes for dudes like The Rock and Arnold.

Dysun

WW was fine when she didn't have to say or do much, the movie is going to be a big test

RDJ probably giving his worst ever performance as Tony Stark yet people seem to praise his portrayal so forgive me if I don't take NeoGAFs opinion seriously.

crazy talk with Civil War fresh in mind

Busty

Banned
WW was fine when she didn't have to say or do much, the movie is going to be a big test

If she's as bad as everyone seems to think she is (which I doubt) Warners have plenty of experience in making franchises work with leading actors who don't exactly have much depth with their performances.

Keanu in the Matrix trilogy.

It'll be fine .

IconGrist

Wait, people thought RDJ's acting in Civil War was good? Come the fuck on. Cap, Vision, and Ross were the only performances worth a damn.

Ninjimbo

RDJ seemed like RDJ. It didn't bother me but I had bigger problems with Civil War than an Iron Man who was going through the motions. No one in the movie leaves much of an impression except Ant Man.

Penguin

I think I'm done with DC movie threads on OT

A guy can't even post LEGO Batman posters without folks feeling the need to remind us they don't like DC live-action films. Good for you,but has nothing to do with the thread

SIGH

Ninjimbo

A guy can't even post LEGO Batman posters without folks feeling the need to remind us they don't like DC live-action films. Good for you,but has nothing to do with the thread

SIGH
You'll be back in the den soon enough when the JL trailer hits.

Still, I wonder why haters flock to those threads. I know DC and WB have a lot to prove but to fix the image they have to actually make and release new movies. Those movies take like two years to make. What's the point in saying a movie and universe suck ad nauseam for two years?

IconGrist

SIGH

You gave it a solid effort but it's time to come home.

Ashhong

I'm a huge fan of Gal and all of DCEU, and even I think what we've seen of Gal so far is pretty wooden. It just looks like she's struggling with her words. I'm not trying to criticize or poke fun or anything, but that's just what it seems like.

Watched her in the Joneses movie and she was very wooden. Just not much charisma and awkward. Really hoping she proves the haters wrong

You'll be back in the den soon enough when the JL trailer hits.

Still, I wonder why haters flock to those threads. I know DC and WB have a lot to prove but to fix the image they have to actually make and release new movies. Those movies take like two years to make. What's the point in saying a movie and universe suck ad nauseam for two years?

Because they can make a joke and have people agree with them. I forgot what it's called but it's some psychology term.

firelogic

Charisma is basically something that can't be quantified. You either have it or you don't and it works on multiple levels. There's no dearth of people saying that Gal's presence alone saved BvS for them.

I still don't think there's enough in her cameo in BvS to justify calling her a shit actress. It screams of hot take hyperbole shit to me. But we'll know soon enough.

Also, I remain unconvinced that you need a good actor to sell one of these superhero roles. Ben kinda blows as an actor yet he has the best Batman to ever grace the screen.

Plus, how many of us watched and loved those old school Jackie Chan flicks? We all recognize that dude is limited but we all love watching him anyway. The same goes for dudes like The Rock and Arnold.

He's the best Batman because of Snyder and I don't think anyone is giving Zach (and his creative team) the credit he deserves. It's always "Ben is the best Batman" when it should be "Snyder's Batman is the best." It's all in the suit, the fight choreography, and how it was shot. As long as Patty Jenkins can make Gal look cool throughout, that's all we need. ScarJo isn't winning any awards as Black Widow and yet people love the shit out of her.

SIGH

Sounds like you're just afraid of a little critical discussion! /s

Speaking to the changing thought process on Wonder Woman, it's going to happen with every movie going forward. It happened with Suicide Squad. Hell, you're starting to see it with The Batman. Everyone was clamoring for an Affleck directed Batman film, now you're starting to see the doubt and negativity creep into the discussion. It's just the way things are going to be moving forward. The DCEU is the Call of Duty of the film industry. Everyone loves to hate it, but it still drives business.

Ninjimbo

He's the best Batman because of Snyder and I don't think anyone is giving Zach (and his creative team) the credit he deserves. It's always "Ben is the best Batman" when it should be "Snyder's Batman is the best." It's all in the suit, the fight choreography, and how it was shot. As long as Patty Jenkins can make Gal look cool throughout, that's all we need. ScarJo isn't winning any awards as Black Widow and yet people love the shit out of her.
Snyder, Terrio, and Damon Caro's stunt team. One of the reasons why I'm not worried for WW is because I know Damon Caro is going to give Wondy some badass action scenes to watch. That will be enough for me and for most people. That's what they're going to watch and remember the most I think so all the talk about acting is pretty much lost on me.

If Wondy kicks ass in the movie, I'll be satisfied. Seeing as Caro hasn't let me down on that front yet, I'm not worried.

guek

Banned
Man, now I'm imagining what GAF threads about old Arnold movies back in the day would have been:

"He's so wooden!"
"Can't even do a good accent! I just don't buy him as a man named John Matrix!"
"'Hear the Lamentations of their Women?' LOL! Worst actor ever!"
"Why does a robot have an accent?"

It's all about the characters they're trying to portray. TBH, I might enjoy Gadot's acting more if WW was crafted more in line with the archetypes Arnold used to play - physically imposing, one note harbingers of death and destruction. Gal always looks...uh...bemused? Slightly curious but also confused? I dunno, it's not quite a vacant expression but it's not really full of emotion either. Maybe she'd come off better if Diana was constantly pissed or annoyed or on the warpath like Arnold always is in his classic movies. That's how she's frequently portrayed in the animated movies too - frustrated with the world of men and often on the verge of condemning all of western society.

bryanee

What? Maybe if Cap, Bucky and Vision weren't in it you might have a point. RDJ was just coasting as RDJ in Civil War. I long for the day they hopefully kill him off in Infinity War.

As for Gadot, shes been fine in the very small amount shes been in. Not bad and not great. All we have seen is a glorified cameo (which a lot of people loved in BvS) and a couple of trailers. I'd maybe wait until seeing the movie before casting any real judgement on her performance.

Ninjimbo

It's all about the characters they're trying to portray. TBH, I might enjoy Gadot's acting more if WW was crafted more in line with the archetypes Arnold used to play - physically imposing, one note harbingers of death and destruction. Gal always looks...uh...bemused? Slightly curious but also confused? I dunno, it's not quite a vacant expression but it's not really full of emotion either. Maybe she'd come off better if Diana was constantly pissed or annoyed or on the warpath like Arnold always is in his classic movies. That's how she's frequently portrayed in the animated movies too - frustrated with the world of men and often on the verge of condemning all of western society.
Yeah, Gal shouldn't do that. A bloodthirsty WW isn't what anyone wants to see lol.

LionPride

Banned
I feel like I gotta ask, Bleepy, why do you lead a crusade defending BvS against ANY criticism? Why do you feel the need to crap on Marvel movies when they ain't even part of the discussion?

Just had to ask

LionPride

Banned
It's a movie worth defending.
But any criticism? I love Man of Steel, I'll defend it as not only the best Superman movie, but as one of the best comic movies. If someone came with some valid criticism I wouldn't get in my feelings and decide to crap on another company's films just because people don't like it. I wouldn't say "Oh it was too advanced for audiences" because it isn't.

Ninjimbo

Well I'm not smug about it either. But the kind of tone we've settled on in GAF kind of calls for some shit flinging. Marvel people shit on DC all the time under the guise of friendly ribbing. You might as well join in. Afterall, we're only talking movies anyway. It's not politics.

We can keep it classy in here and act like hooligans elsewhere. :)

LionPride

Banned
Well I'm not smug about it either. But the kind of tone we've settled on in GAF kind of calls for some shit flinging. Marvel people shit on DC all the time under the guise of friendly ribbing. You might as well join in. Afterall, we're only talking movies anyway. It's not politics.

We can keep it classy in here and act like hooligans elsewhere. :)

I really don't think it's a case of Marvel vs. DC anymore. People wanna see characters on the big screen and the movie to be good and do well. In many people's opinions, DC has failed in the good department. This coupled with GAF's tendency to crap on anything if it comes up or to make any related topic about something they do not like, has led to some flinging of mud though.

Ninjimbo

The people that shit on DC tend to be the same people over and over again. They kind of start the whole verbal diatribe with their bad jokes and asinine comments. It's best to just ignore them since they won't shut up until movies fall under their criteria of good.

Speaking of which, are you referring to the SS editing thread going on in OT right now? Shit got nasty in there real quick lol.

Edit: Also, the movies are already doing well. SS made 800 million dollars without China. WB can sell a movie like nobody else. I don't think we have to worry about these movies flopping for the next few years. I seriously think they might be critic proof.

IconGrist

People confuse the bad editing in the BvS TC as the same thing as the bad editing in SS. BvS was butchered to fit a certain length of time. SS had its entire tone changed in the editing room by a team who edits music videos. I despise the comparison but at the same I can't fault someone not knowing the specifics in each case.

LionPride

Banned
The people that shit on DC tend to be the same people over and over again. They kind of start the whole verbal diatribe with their bad jokes and asinine comments. It's best to just ignore them since they won't shut up until movies fall under their criteria of good.

Speaking of which, are you referring to the SS editing thread going on in OT right now? Shit got nasty in there real quick lol.

Edit: Also, the movies are already doing well. SS made 800 million dollars without China. WB can sell a movie like nobody else. I don't think we have to worry about these movies flopping for the next few years. I seriously think they might be critic proof.

Yeah, Bleepy got in there when people started to hate on BvS

The fact Suicide Squad made money honestly confuses me, like, it's not good. I could get something from BvS at least. I may have been severely disappointed by it and dislike it. but Jesus Christ Suicide Squad is just awful.

I guess I shouldn't be confused when the last Transformers made a million dollars.

People confuse the bad editing in the BvS TC as the same thing as the bad editing in SS. BvS was butchered to fit a certain length of time. SS had its entire tone changed in the editing room by a team who edits music videos. I despise the comparison but at the same I can't fault someone not knowing the specifics in each case.

BvS's problem isn't the editing.

Ninjimbo

Yeah. I don't think most people know that the cut we saw in theaters was a cut made by a studio that edits trailers. Ayer would never make the mistakes you see in SS. He knows how to properly stage and cut scenes.

Yeah, Bleepy got in there when people started to hate on BvS

The fact Suicide Squad made money honestly confuses me, like, it's not good. I could get something from BvS at least. I may have been severely disappointed by it and dislike it. but Jesus Christ Suicide Squad is just awful.

I guess I shouldn't be confused when the last Transformers made a million dollars.
I think, in general, most people aren't picky about movies since they're relatively cheap to see and most people are easy to please. I've had my fill of conversations about SS and I tend to fall in the minority of not being happy with it. Most of the people I talked to liked it and they like it for the small things it does well like Harley being funny or Will Smith being cool. I know a ton of people that loved El Diablo.

One of the things Suicide Squad did well was stuffing the main cast with some diversity. I knew that was going to be a selling point for people so I'm happy it did well if only because of that.

LionPride

Banned
Yeah. I don't think most people know that the cut we saw in theaters was a cut made by a studio that edits trailers. Ayer would never make the mistakes you see in SS. He knows how to properly stage and cut scenes.

I think, in general, most people aren't picky about movies since they're relatively cheap to see and most people are easy to please. I've had my fill of conversations about SS and I tend to fall in the minority of not being happy with it. Most of the people I talked to liked it and they like it for the small things it does well like Harley being funny or Will Smith being cool. I know a ton of people that loved El Diablo.

One of the things Suicide Squad did well was stuffing the main cast with some diversity. I knew that was going to be a selling point for people so I'm happy it did well if only because of that.

Suicide Squad also made Killer Croc a black stereotype who just wanted BET. Yeah I really don't like that movie for a few reasons. That being one of them. There are five people of color in the movie. Katana, Croc, Deadshot, Waller, and Diablo. Of those five, three get character development. Deadshot because he's the star, Diablo because....reasons idk, and Waller because she's Waller. Croc is again, reduced to a black stereotype and Katana is reduced to some of the worst dialogue and exposition I've seen in a while.

Bleepey

I agree. I remember having to remind people how awful Nolan's fight scenes are.

WhiteWolf

I think a Snyder solo Batman film would have been interesting to see, I think it would be more in his wheelhouse. I love the jaded, world-weary, gives no fucks, brutal Batman we got, but I also don't flip out if Batman kills directly or indirectly.

Bleepey

I feel like I gotta ask, Bleepy, why do you lead a crusade defending BvS against ANY criticism? Why do you feel the need to crap on Marvel movies when they ain't even part of the discussion?

Just had to ask

There have been many times where I have mentioned how BVS could be improved. I think there are some plot holes and shit that could be tightened up but a lot of stuff people criticise that are explained in the movie or are just plain asinine. I could probably name about 5-10 plot holes or shit that could be improved in BVS. Off the top of my head:

1) explain the Africa scene better. Hammer it into people's heads that Superman is being blamed for a power vacuum and unforeseen consequences.

2) explain to people better why the lex Corp bullet forced the govt to be involved in the coverup in Africa and the senate hearing

3) fight could have been better. I prefer the build up rather than the fight

4) It would have been better if Lex was more conventional. The Wired interview with "Lex" is awesome because he is straight throwing shade at everyone. Oh Bruce Wayne you spend so much on R N D for an exosuit and flying planes yet you have nothing to show for it. . A lot like a certain vigilante likes to use. Oh Amanda Waller you think I didn't know about all the shit you get up to etc etc. That shit was fun

5) this is a plot hole I am surprised BVS haters haven't latched on to. Lex wants to show superman isn't all good by forcing him to kill Batman. Yet Superman has very public ally killed. Now you could explain it away by saying he hoped Batman would kill him or that the primary end goal was to kill Superman with Doomsday. But it's quite a notable one.

6) explain how Lex knew about him being incapable of seeing through lead. I assumed he had bugged their home since Lois knew but a throwaway line could have remedied it.
I think there's a few minutes and a nip tuck here and there that could fix a lot about the movie.

Also I like an underdog which decade kind of are. Also I think constructive criticism makes Marvel and DC make better movies. Stupid nitpicks or complaints that could be remedied by paying attention to the movie don't help make better movies.

LionPride

Banned
There have been many times where I have mentioned how BVS could be improved. I think there are some plot holes and shit that could be tightened up but a lot of stuff people criticise that are explained in the movie or are just plain asinine. I could probably name about 5-10 plot holes or shit that could be improved in BVS. Off the top of my head:

1) explain the Africa scene better. Hammer it into people's heads that Superman is being blamed for a power vacuum and unforeseen consequences.

2) explain to people better why the lex Corp bullet forced the govt to be involved in the coverup in Africa and the senate hearing

4) It would have been better if Lex was more conventional. The Wired interview with "Lex" is awesome because he is straight throwing shade at everyone. Oh Bruce Wayne you spend so much on R N D for an exosuit and flying planes yet you have nothing to show for it. . A lot like a certain vigilante likes to use. Oh Amanda Waller you think I didn't know about all the shit you get up to etc etc. That shit was fun

5) this is a plot hole I am surprised BVS haters haven't latched on to. Lex wants to show superman isn't all good by forcing him to kill Batman. Yet Superman has very public ally killed. Now you could explain it away by saying he hoped Batman would kill him or that the primary end goal was to kill Superman with Doomsday. But it's quite a notable one.

6) explain how Lex knew about him being incapable of seeing through lead. I assumed he had bugged their home since Lois knew but a throwaway line could have remedied it.
I think there's a few minutes and a nip tuck here and there that could fix a lot about the movie.

Also I like an underdog which decade kind of are. Also I think constructive criticism makes Marvel and DC make better movies. Stupid nitpicks or complaints that could be remedied by paying attention to the movie don't help make better movies.

1. The one thing I'll give the EE is that the Africa stuff made sense

2. The fight is actually pretty enjoyable. Not as much as the Batman scene, but yeah

But Bleepy, you were in the thread dragging in Marvel when literally no one brought them up

IconGrist

Not to be that guy but you're looking at these bolded points wrong.

2. I think you may be on the right track here but you worded it weird. The government as a whole did not cooperate in a coverup of Lex's involvement. Lex just has the right people in his pocket. Which, I agree, is something the movie should have better explained.

5. Superman has publicly killed but the guy he killed was looking to kill every last person on Earth. His actions there were justifiable. Killing Batman would be seen as cold-blooded and monstrous. Not a plot-hole.

6. It's common knowledge that lead is too dense for x-ray to penetrate. There's no need to explain how Lex Luthor of all people managed to put that together.

#6 - I always took it as Lex knows people in the military and Man of Steel shows he can see through objects when he turns himself in. Lois and Clark would have been recorded in that interrogation room and likely analyzed to hell and back by countless people. Rumblings, or maybe even the video, would have gotten to to Lex at some point.

A throwaway line should have been included though.

But any criticism? I love Man of Steel, I'll defend it as not only the best Superman movie, but as one of the best comic movies. If someone came with some valid criticism I wouldn't get in my feelings and decide to crap on another company's films just because people don't like it. I wouldn't say "Oh it was too advanced for audiences" because it isn't.

sometimes all we have is our feelings.

I really don't think it's a case of Marvel vs. DC anymore. People wanna see characters on the big screen and the movie to be good and do well. In many people's opinions, DC has failed in the good department. This coupled with GAF's tendency to crap on anything if it comes up or to make any related topic about something they do not like, has led to some flinging of mud though.

people want nostalgia and for many they can't reconcile that the Christopher Reeve Superman is long gone. we are getting the John Byrne/Mark Waid/Geoff Johns/Grant Morrison Superman and that makes many uncomfortable and angry.

Man of Steel got raked over the coals in this forum by many because it wasn't like the Christopher Reeve Superman. that's not a valid criticism at all. what DC has failed to give people is something that's easily digestible and I would disagree with anyone when they say it hasn't been good.

I still am unsure about the bullet plot point but I understand how killing that warlord would bring a power vacuum, can someone explain it to me? that's my main issue with the movie which I otherwise thought was great.

LionPride

Banned
sometimes all we have is our feelings.

people want nostalgia and for many they can't reconcile that the Christopher Reeve Superman is long gone. we are getting the John Byrne/Mark Waid/Geoff Johns/Grant Morrison Superman and that makes many uncomfortable and angry.

Man of Steel got raked over the coals in this forum by many because it wasn't like the Christopher Reeve Superman. that's not a valid criticism at all. what DC has failed to give people is something that's easily digestible and I would disagree with anyone when they say it hasn't been good.

Batman Vs Superman was not good. Suicide Squad was not god. It has nothing to do with being easily digestible. They ain't good films or good comic book films. One of these films have potential that is lost among everything else. The other is a mess that can't be salvaged.

IconGrist

Batman Vs Superman was not good. Suicide Squad was not god. It has nothing to do with being easily digestible. They ain't good films or good comic book films. One of these films have potential that is lost among everything else. The other is a mess that can't be salvaged.

I'd agree about SS but you won't find many in this thread who would agree BvS (at least the UC) was bad. For me the Ultimate Cut sits nicely in my Top 5 CBMs of all time.

1. V for Vendetta
2. Winter Soldier
3. Man of Steel
4. Batman v Superman (UC)
5. Iron Man

LionPride

Banned
I'd agree about SS but you won't find many in this thread who would agree BvS (at least the UC) was bad. For me the Ultimate Cut sits nicely in my Top 5 CBMs of all time.

1. V for Vendetta
2. Winter Soldier
3. Man of Steel
4. Batman v Superman (UC)
5. Iron Man

I watched the Ultimate Cut...I wasted my time with that. Simple as that.

My Top Five is interesting I'd say

1. Civil War
2. Batman Begins
3. Winter Soldier
4. Man of Steel
5. Dredd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom