• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
Don't worry about it. I also found rogue one to be pretty damn bleh until the Darth Vader scene.

I cant fathom why people would put it over force awakens. I'm no Abrams fan but that had far more interesting characters and more momentum

Incendies is dope. One of Villeneuve best movies
It won't be over TFA, mainly because TFA from an acting perspective is great for a Star Wars movie.

I never found it to be luck, like at all

Luck may not be the right word for it... I guess the plot lined up too well in Zemo's favor. The entire move was basically every character acting against how they are normally portrayed to the point where it was a bit distracting for me. Falcon even has a line he says to Black Widow about her changing her position out of nowhere. The whole movie depended on that kind of contrivance.

In general, Civil War didn't impress me at all. It was a by the numbers checklist of everything you need in a Marvel movie. Basically Avengers 2.5 (though if we had gotten this instead of Age of Ulton I'd be okay with it). Cap3 interested me more when it was going to meaningfully continue the Hydra plot, when it was called Serpent Society.

I think rogue one had a great cast. I had no problem with the actors, just found the characters they were playing to all be so boring. It was just a usual dry Disney blockbuster to me. With a nice classic star wars aesthetic attached to it.

As for tfa. Even though I think that movie is like a 7/10 at most. Adam Drivers Kylo Ren will be the best star wars villain by the time the trilogy ends

Episode 8 will be fire. Rian Johnson and Benicio Del Toro....Bless up.

guek

Banned
Someone remind me, was there ever a reason given why Scoot Mcnairy's character didn't question why he wasn't getting disability and pension checks from Wayne? Or why it was never brought to anyone's attention that the checks were being returned with inflammatory statements on them?

duckroll

Del Toro will just be a cameo, and the majority of the movie will be Rey and Kylo Ren stuck in a room together trying to kill a fly.

Ninjimbo

Incendies.
Ahh, I own that one. I haven't seen it in a long time. That was Villenueve's first joint. I remember it being pretty good.

Don't worry about it. I also found rogue one to be pretty damn bleh until the Darth Vader scene.

I cant fathom why people would put it over force awakens. I'm no Abrams fan but that had far more interesting characters and more momentum
Same here. I think Darth Vader was the only part of the movie that got me paying attention. I was bored by the whole thing mostly because I knew where the story was going and, quite frankly, it's just not very interesting. The premise sounded far better on paper than what we ended up getting. I could go into more detail, but Rogue One just left me cold.

Overall, I'm just thinking that I've moved on from Star Wars. These new movies seem to be made for long time fans because there are so many winks and nods to the old movies. Instead of coming up with something new, I'm being shown cameos from weird characters and I'm seeing the old sets pop up. It's all a bit too much nostalgia whoring for me. Like, it's Star Wars! How many times do I have to see Tie Fighters crush X-Wings? We've seen that for four movies already!

Off topic but why does Nolan sound british but his brother doesn't. Been bugging me for a minute

I think rogue one had a great cast. I had no problem with the actors, just found the characters they were playing to all be so boring. It was just a usual dry Disney blockbuster to me. With a nice classic star wars aesthetic attached to it.

As for tfa. Even though I think that movie is like a 7/10 at most. Adam Drivers Kylo Ren will be the best star wars villain by the time the trilogy ends

Episode 8 will be fire. Rian Johnson and Benicio Del Toro....Bless up.

Ren is garbage, dude looked like an angry teenager wasteman character. TFA was a rehash and folks trip all over themselves saying how great it was, I'm Neutral on it.

Watched that batman warehouse scene again because of that wack thread in OT. God damn. Best superhero combat scene since spiderman 2 on the train.

Affleck better freaking study that and have his batman action scenes choreographed like that. Because that scene in suicide squad with him vs deadshot was dogshit so it's pretty obvious that this is on a director by director basis

Oh shit and snyder is throwing deathstroke in Justice League too right? Him vs batman...whew.

I doubt we see them fight. I've got Deathstroke pegged for like one or two scenes max. We kinda have that leaked scene Snyder was storyboarding that involves him, but I don't expect much more than that.

However, I'd love to see Snyder do it because it'd be fucking cool.

BadAss2961

Watched that batman warehouse scene again because of that wack thread in OT. God damn. Best superhero combat scene since spiderman 2 on the train.

Affleck better freaking study that and have his batman action scenes choreographed like that. Because that scene in suicide squad with him vs deadshot was dogshit so it's pretty obvious that this is on a director by director basis

Oh shit and snyder is throwing deathstroke in Justice League too right? Him vs batman...whew.
No way to know if that kind of action is a priority for Ben. Hopefully it's been on his mind.

Zack should just ghost direct every Batman fight. He'd make a godlike Raid/Dredd type movie full of warehouse scenes.

Yeah I was thinking about that Arkham origins trailer when I imagined a deathstroke vs. batman fight.

Hopefully the choreography is similar to that in a way

I want the whole Batman vs Deathstroke thing to be like Cap vs Black Panther in Civil War. Show how badass Deathstroke is, but don't have him to fight Batman immediately. I want them to meet, to be ready to fight, but to fight in their second encounter. Also, if the movie tries to be like Nolan's trilogy and there are some god tier fights, then it's gonna be the shit and it will be praised.

LionPride

Banned
Spiderman 2 is overrated AF.
Fixed
Iron Man 3 is TRASH, FOH with that Top Five shit...... This aint no Chris Rock movie breh's.
It ain't trash at all

Ahh, I own that one. I haven't seen it in a long time. That was Villenueve's first joint. I remember it being pretty good.

Same here. I think Darth Vader was the only part of the movie that got me paying attention. I was bored by the whole thing mostly because I knew where the story was going and, quite frankly, it's just not very interesting. The premise sounded far better on paper than what we ended up getting. I could go into more detail, but Rogue One just left me cold.

Overall, I'm just thinking that I've moved on from Star Wars. These new movies seem to be made for long time fans because there are so many winks and nods to the old movies. Instead of coming up with something new, I'm being shown cameos from weird characters and I'm seeing the old sets pop up. It's all a bit too much nostalgia whoring for me. Like, it's Star Wars! How many times do I have to see Tie Fighters crush X-Wings? We've seen that for four movies already!
Nostalgia Whoring? Jesus Christ. So do you expect the movie to not at all reference it's past or something? Like of course they had to play it safe with TFA, I'm perfectly fine with that. They made a good movie outta it that has great new characters who I'm excited to see grow knowing their new stories will be the focus of the next two movies.

Luck may not be the right word for it... I guess the plot lined up too well in Zemo's favor. The entire move was basically every character acting against how they are normally portrayed to the point where it was a bit distracting for me. Falcon even has a line he says to Black Widow about her changing her position out of nowhere. The whole movie depended on that kind of contrivance.

In general, Civil War didn't impress me at all. It was a by the numbers checklist of everything you need in a Marvel movie. Basically Avengers 2.5 (though if we had gotten this instead of Age of Ulton I'd be okay with it). Cap3 interested me more when it was going to meaningfully continue the Hydra plot, when it was called Serpent Society.
It was a great culmination of the story being told with Cap, Bucky, and Tony since The First Avenger. That's why I'm happy the movie turned out as well as it did. It's certainly a Captain America movie. It is about him, Bucky, and Tony. That's it. When it comes down to it, that's the core of the movie. The sokovia accords is just the catalyst to finally split Tony and Cap.

Incendies is dope. One of Villeneuve best movies

Give it a few months and folks will dump on Rogue One too. Could sort of see the backlash for TFA coming with the hyperbole around release. Sometimes it's like Star Wars has to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Ninjimbo

Damon Caro is helping on Wonder Woman. Affleck should bring him into his Batman.
If Ben is smart, he'll do it. Caro is legit af.

It's a wonder why stunt choreographers don't get any Oscars. I mean, we have Oscars for sound editing and production design, yet the people doing all the stunts and designing action sequences don't get any awards or recognition? Hollywood needs to modernize.

If Ben is smart, he'll do it. Caro is legit af.

It's a wonder why stunt choreographers don't get any Oscars. I mean, we have Oscars for sound editing and production design, yet the people doing all the stunts and designing action sequences don't get any awards or recognition? Hollywood needs to modernize.

They were pushing for a category to be made when furry road was out. God knows that one would have been worthy as the first winner but the academy is too stubborn to give stuntpeople recognition

It better happen soon. As early as the silent movie era people have been busting their ass and even risking their lives to make shit look cool

I don't think Arrival is as amazing as people make it out to be. I managed to use review scores and RT to pressure someone into seeing it even though I knew they wouldn't like it and the whole time I'm just sitting there feeling guilty as fuck. Don't get me wrong, it's an OK film.

Ninjimbo

Would we really be DCEU fans if we didn't have terrible opinions?

I thought Fury Road was pretty bad and considering how much flak I get for that I'd say you may be right.
You guys are too hard on yourselves. You have GREAT opinions!

They were pushing for a category to be made when furry road was out. God knows that one would have been worthy as the first winner but the academy is too stubborn to give stuntpeople recognition

It better happen soon. As early as the silent movie era people have been busting their ass and even risking their lives to make shit look cool
I wonder what the freaking holdup is. All the major studios pay those stunt companies enormous amounts of money to generate their action scenes. You'd think the people running the studios would push for the Academy to recognize an awesome action scene. There are people that watch movies for their action alone, so how cool would it be to have an Oscar for best action to market your movie?

Jackie Chan deserves a lifetime achievement Oscar. I don't know if he has one.

Ninjimbo

I don't think Arrival is as amazing as people make it out to be. I managed to use review scores and RT to pressure someone into seeing it even though I knew they wouldn't like it and the whole time I'm just sitting there feeling guilty as fuck. Don't get me wrong, it's an OK film.
I think Arrival might be Villenueve's best. It's a toss up between that and Sicario.

But I can see it doing nothing for certain people. It's a little hard science, a little metaphysical and it tries hard to marry the two concepts. You get linguistics all of a sudden being linked to physics and you wonder wtf is this? Then the movie ends as abruptly as it started. It's kind of shaky. I'm into that kind of stuff so I liked the movie a lot, but it might too up its own ass for a lot of people.

I definitely think it's the best performance Amy Adams has ever given. If she doesn't get an Oscar for it, she never will.

I think Arrival might be Villenueve's best. It's a toss up between that and Sicario.

But I can see it doing nothing for certain people. It's a little hard science, a little metaphysical and it tries hard to marry the two concepts. You get linguistics all of a sudden being linked to physics and you wonder wtf is this? Then the movie ends as abruptly as it started. It's kind of shaky. I'm into that kind of stuff so I liked the movie a lot, but it might too up its own ass for a lot of people.

I definitely think it's the best performance Amy Adams has ever given. If she doesn't get an Oscar for it, she never will.

I'm fine with that, but halfway through even when I was like "OK, this isn't clicking for me," I just knew the person I pressured into seeing it was absolutely hating life and that's when I started feeling guilty as fuck.

I'll give it another go when it drops later this year on home release.

Ninjimbo

I'm fine with that, but halfway through even when I was like "OK, this isn't clicking for me," I just knew the person I pressured into seeing it was absolutely hating life and that's when I started feeling guilty as fuck.

I'll give it another go when it drops later this year on home release.
I don't know if a rewatch will do much of anything. One of my only problems with Arrival is that the movie stresses what it's all about especially at the end. There isn't much of a chance to miss anything. There isn't anything to dig into or wonder about when you get away from the movie which is an issue in all of Villenueve's movies.

I think whatever impression you got the first time around, is the impression you'll always have of it. I could be wrong though. I'll know for sure when I get the Blu Ray.

Bleepey

First you like BvS, cool that's fine sure. But then you don't like Rogue one....

1. I'm entitled to my opinion? What does that have to do with that statement.

2. Hey Hey, you gonna answer my question that got me in here tho?

I thought BVS's plot made sense. I literally did a flow chart showing how Lex manipulated everyone and how everything lead to the next thing. You may not think so but that's fine. I think the 3hr cut makes sense.

What question?

LionPride

Banned
I thought BVS's plot made sense. I literally did a flow chart showing how Lex manipulated everyone and how everything lead to the next thing. You may not think so but that's fine. I think the 3hr cut makes sense.

What question?
Why do you talk about Marvel movies even when people ain't mentioning them? Like in the SS thread you were arguing about BvS and then talked about Marvel. Literally no one was talking about them and then you brought them up

Penguin

What question?

Why do you talk about Marvel movies even when people ain't mentioning them? Like in the SS thread you were arguing about BvS and then talked about Marvel. Literally no one was talking about them and then you brought them up

Will this song and dance finally end?
Will LionPride realize the irony in the situation?
Will Bleepey have a change of heart?

This and so much more on the next episode of DragonBall Z

Bleepey

That was like one example. Most of the time people will trip over themselves gushing over how CW was perfect yet when I point out how so much of Zemo's plan relied on luck, on things that he couldn't have known yet the plot, or even how certain plot elements make absolutely no sense if you actually watch previous movies (Thunderbolt Ross's speech makes no sense whatsoever) yet BVS if criticised for things that are logical or that are explained in the movie.

DaveH

Someone remind me, was there ever a reason given why Scoot Mcnairy's character didn't question why he wasn't getting disability and pension checks from Wayne? Or why it was never brought to anyone's attention that the checks were being returned with inflammatory statements on them?
1. Because Keefe was returning the checks, not Lex (common misconception); 2. Because Bruce is blind... it's a reoccurring theme in the film.

First, to address the misconception:

It makes little sense for Lex to have intercepted checks and sent them with inflammatory messages to Bruce all along... there's no way Lex could have predicted it would cause Keefe to act as he eventually would, no way to ensure Keefe's graffiti protest and statements would be consistent with the checks, no way that 40 years prison for terroristic threats was part of the plan, and no reason to draw attention to his patsy well before his execution of his plan. None of this makes sense and results from a faulty assumption based off a single line: "Little red notes, big bang, 'you let your family die'!" The common interpretation is, "I am responsible for all these things."

However, Lex is speaking in clipped phrases, he's listing the things that pushed Batman over the edge. Note the "You let your family die!" is one of the "little red notes" which makes it an odd thing to list separately... "little red notes" is inclusive of "You let your family die!" so there's no reason to say it... additionally, "big bang!" is in between, so it isn't a parenthetical... it's a separate, different list item. That suggests a distinction or difference. Some reason that "You let your family die!" needed to be specifically cited of all the little red notes.

My suggestion is that Lex is claiming credit for that last note as his, but only after copying Keefe's pre-existing protest in returning red-note checks and red-letter graffiti. Again, nothing explicit in the film has Lex claiming responsibility for the notes or intercepting checks. That's purely interpretation of a line... one that you're free to interpret in a way that's more rational and consistent with the facts and story.

Second, why would Keefe return checks?

The obvious protest is that turning away money is against his self interest, but Keefe has already proven he'll do things against his self-interest for the sake of making a statement. The "False God" protest is perfectly in line with that. He does it in broad daylight, in front of cops, at risk of a 40-year sentence, and yelling when the cameras are on him. It is completely plausible that Keefe would do something self-destructive if he thought it would send a message.

But what message is he trying to send? It's literally on the checks and in his protest and in his before-the-press remarks! There's too much material and nuance to parse completely, but to sum it up, he has a grudge against Superman and resents Bruce for trying to buy him off rather than take on Superman. At Heroes Park, Keefe doesn't protest the absence of checks because HE was the one returning them. His objection is to Superman and his statement is trying to drag Bruce into that fight.

Third, why wouldn't the Victims Fund respond or alert Bruce?

Precisely for the reasons Keefe is upset about. The Victims Fund is only equipped to pay people. Keefe wasn't helped with counseling, a job, support groups, or a platform to speak from. He loses his manhood, his job, his family, is angry, and the Victims Fund tries to solve all of the above with money. If Keefe rejects the money, they're not in a position to provide anything else, they're a fund, that's it, not a foundation or a support group or political activists or anti-Superman league or whatever. They have one tool: Money. If he doesn't want the money, he doesn't have to cash it.

It's as blind, callous, and insensitive as Keefe accuses Bruce of being (which is why Bruce is on Keefe's Superman Shitlist wall too). Keefe is just as pissed at people perceiving Bruce as a hero who saved him as he is of everyone thinking Superman's a hero.

Note Bruce is blind. It repeats throughout the film again and again. Bruce doesn't see Clark's humanity, he doesn't see Lex's legitimate invitation or daylight legal maneuvers, sees Diana only as hot thief, etc. Note Keefe only comes to Bruce's actual attention for the exact same f'ed-up assumption a lot of the audience makes... Keefe says, "I have nothing!" and Bruce's first instinct is, "Wait, he doesn't have money? He isn't getting the checks we sent?" That makes a certain sense, but at the same time, even if Keefe had six figures in the bank, he could easily still say he's lost half his body, his job, his family, his peace, etc... and call that "nothing." Bruce should be extremely aware that you can have money and still feel complete loss, but instead he's so caught up in his own drama he behaves as if the cure is monthly checks. Is it any wonder Keefe would be outraged?

Can I say, the threads dumping on these movies can be fun from time to time. Don't know what there is to be upset about when it's someone's opinion vs yours. The hating on the people involved with the film, though, is pretty messed up. As is attacking those who like these movies. Some people take it too far.

Ashhong

First you like BvS, cool that's fine sure. But then you don't like Rogue one....

1. I'm entitled to my opinion? What does that have to do with that statement.

2. Hey Hey, you gonna answer my question that got me in here tho?

Your opinion that the 3 hour cut of BvS doesn't work as a film.

Is Junkie doing the score for Justice League?

Currently listening to some of his tracks from the 300 sequel and I hope he draws more inspiration from them because a few sound like b-side Man of Steel tracks; Marathon, Greeks are Winning.

Wasn't a fan of the WWE entrance approach taken with Batman v Superman.

Penguin

I also wanna make it known have no problem with LionPride. Don't want him to think picking on me, I'm just finding the whole ordeal fun.

Speaking of fun, new Reddit rumors.

Just for the record, I think they're all bunk, but we got nothing else going on

Hey everyone, long time no see, I was out for the holidays, and right when I came back, my friend and I had a talk about what he heard the last weeks, you know, if you want to believe it, fine, and fine if you don't too:
Don't trust everything you have heard about Affleck and The Batman, he IS directing the movie (which pre prod is starting in like 4-5 months), he just want to go under the radar to avoid leaked pictures or shadowing the whole WW/JL year with just filming a movie.
I think I told a guy here a couple months ago, but the JL trailer changed its release, it was planned to be released after xmas, but Zack decided to not deliver it and change the release to a march/april date, TBC. (yes, no DC CW special or whatsoever)
4Chan is not right, Borglife movie is still in the way, it'll introduce the idea of the Titans (Nightwing will appear in Batman movie, and Black Manta's son will be Aqualad), it's rumored to be setting up a Judas Contract movie in the sequel (they are doing it animated to test the waters).
There's hope for Green Arrow fans, but no Olliver Queen, but Connor Hawke, Ollie will be an old man in the DCEU, they want him for a one glorious moment in middle of his retirement and that's it. But DCEU GA will be his son.
About GL, we will have an introduction to the GLC in the JL sequel, JL will need a second team helping around the world and the green cops will fit the job.
Also, Max Lord will be introduced in the second half of the slate, Johns wants to get a Infinite Crisis like event down the road.
Flash movie is still set up for 2018, they have choose the Director, but it'll be announced in a press release a day before the pre is starting (don't know when, sorry).
Superman will NOT appear in Shazam movie, BUT, Billy Batson will appear in MoS sequel (they are calling it just "Superman".
Superbowl will have a small spot for WW, then we will have another trailer.
This, more than a leak, is a 101% rumor: There are troubles with Jared Leto's future in the DCEU, it's a 50/50 thing, at one side we have rumors of him leaving, and in the other side there will be a Wilkinson make over and we will have as small role over the non powered movies like Batman, GCS, or the rumored Titans movie.
Zack is really rooting for a New Gods movie, he wants to show the Fourth World in all the glory after the JL movie featuring Darkseid, just to show how powerful the JL is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom