• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I wholly agree Suicide Squad is a shitty movie. The extended cut fixed nothing. The BvS UC fixed something though at least; I think most gaffers would agree on that. The fact that a number of Superman/Clark Kent scenes were cut, you'd think Snyder does understand the character. He will have a great resolution to his arc in JL. I don't know maybe I'm just too optimistic.

thirst for jl trailer is real

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Steppenwolf is a waste for the first villain. Not really iconic or compelling. Maybe if they throw in some more stuff like the furies it could work for me.

I also dislike that this pretty much means Darkseid is going to be the focus for the second film. I like Darkseid but he's had so much overexposure as the big bad, I would have loved Black Adam, Sinestro or a an injustice society or even Starro.

Would be amazing if DC planted all the villains in the solo films, to have them team up for the final JL film

I wholly agree Suicide Squad is a shitty movie. The extended cut fixed nothing. The BvS UC fixed something though at least; I think most gaffers would agree on that. The fact that a number of Superman/Clark Kent scenes were cut, you'd think Snyder does understand the character. He will have a great resolution to his arc in JL. I don't know maybe I'm just too optimistic.

There were rumors ahead of release that Warners wanted BvS to be more Batman focused. Dubious rumors be dubious, but it's hard not to watch both versions and not see that as a consideration.

BadAss2961

There's gotta be a Black Adam sighting in the near future. No way they'd sit on The Rock this long. He's been ready to go for the longest.

There's gotta be a Black Adam sighting in the near future. No way they'd sit on The Rock this long. He's been ready to go for the longest.

yeah. he's approaching his peak popularity too if not already. they should have him in something prior to Shazam if thats taking too long in pre production.

should have been Justice League.

I like to think they're struggling to find an actor charismatic enough to be Shazam. Everybody will be siding with Black Adam in the movie.

Still think it would've been cool if Black Adam was a member of the Justice League and became a villain.

No marvel movie will be remembered as anything more than disposable entertainment made for extractive purposes completely sanitized of art.

UCBvS, MOS are way better than all that marvel dross. A bunch of movies that don't matter at all even in their own MCU.

Yeah they're going to have trouble finding someone to stack up the Rock. I liked the setup Johns used in JSA with Black Adam, I wouldn't mind them using something similar for the movie JLA. It's looking like Aquaman is going to be the ass of the team, BA could have filled that role.

Eitherway Johns loves that character so I don't think he'll be a one and done. More likely he'll show up more often than Billy imo.

BadAss2961

yeah. he's approaching his peak popularity too if not already. they should have him in something prior to Shazam if thats taking too long in pre production.

should have been Justice League.
I'm still banking on a surprise cameo.
No marvel movie will be remember as anything more than disposable entertainment made for extractive purposes completely sanitized of art.

UCBvS, MOS are way better than all that marvel dross. A bunch of movies that don't matter at all even in their own MCU.

Preach.

LionPride

Banned
No marvel movie will be remembered as anything more than disposable entertainment made for extractive purposes completely sanitized of art.

Sure, okay. While BvS(Theatrical or UC) will be remembered poorly and MoS will be remembered as a very polarizing film. It doesn't matter if you enjoy BvS, it ain't gonna be looked at fondly by most people. Plus there are only two movies that do not matter in the universe. I'd say that's pretty good

Sure, okay. While BvS(Theatrical or UC) will be remembered poorly and MoS will be remembered as a very polarizing film. It doesn't matter if you enjoy BvS, it ain't gonna be looked at fondly by most people. Plus there are only two movies that do not matter in the universe. I'd say that's pretty good

Who cares about most people? And no, none of those movies changed the universe. In avengers a council/world government authorized the use of a nuclear weapon in us soil, how did that event changed the world in which the MCU lives? it didn't, Replace nuclear bomb with hydra, BP, Ultron which was created by tony stark and whose big bad plan was to let a rock fall, huge ant, asgardian gods, the creation of vision etc or a character like black widow flirting with the hero du jour. The MCU isn't an universe no matter the marketing and adnauseum repetition. At best is an ever resetting sandbox completely disconnected from the rest of the world that it claims to inhabit and which is unable to affect. None of these supposedly relevant events had any discernible impact on the world. All is made irrelevant by the next movie and the next weak villain that can be defeated with a disco dance.

In MOS and BvS there's interaction, there's affects & effects, and there's art. So I do understand when people take offense with the inane and outright offensive comments of "most people" cause they honestly wouldn't know what a good movie makes and just regurgitate dross from paid youtube shills and pompous critics who don't even pay for their movie tickets anymore and adore mastubatory hollywood films like hail ceasar, Birdman, etc.

Would we really be DCEU fans if we didn't have terrible opinions?

Speak for yourself child.

I don't ignore it, but you ain't special. It happens in threads about movies period. So don't act like you special because people talk bad about movies you like.

People body shaming a woman for being to skinny ain't new either. Please don't act like they are doing it because it's a DCEU product. Just don't.

So we are suppose to accept that in every single Wonder Woman thread Gal Gadot gets bashed for having an accent and being skinny. I guess I can add you to the list of people who normalize this bullshit then.

Comic Book Movies have a weird internet culture. With Marvel being the best in the busineds critically and financially, and DC trailing behind critically, yeah people are gonna talk down. When there are people who care more about a Guardians of the Galaxy movie more than Wonder Woman and JUSTICE LEAGUE, there will be threads trying to understand the issue. People harp on the DCEU movies because for a lot of people they ain't good. It would be the same deal if the roles were reversed.

If it's about X-Men movie topics there are people who crap on them constantly, I'm one of them.

It doesn't happen with Transformers because people have been talking bad since 2007. Because people don't like Micahel Bay and haven't for 10 years.

Snyder really only garned bad will with Sucker Punch, MoS being polarizing didn't help and neither did the fact that a Batman vs Superman movie A. Wasn't good and B. Didn't crack a billion dollars

I'd have to dig pretty far back to find multiple topics about transformers and x-men movies. I only have to go a few pages to find a DCEU thread littered with very dishonest discussion. Take MoS, it's been years but many people still like to push the narrative that super man didn't save anyone and that he was responsible for all the deaths.

I put two people on ignore who were pushing that and I come to find out they didn't even watch the movie!
Also it's rich that you're complaining about posters having a persecution complex and bringing up MCU movies in DC threads when you come in this thread to demand answers from a poster and constantly remind us the DCEU movies aren't good and marvel movies make money and are universally loved. If anyone has a persecusion complex here it's you.

LionPride

Banned
Who cares about most people? And no, none of those movies changed the universe. In avengers a council/world government authorized the use of a nuclear weapon in us soil, how did that event changed the world in which the MCU lives? it didn't, Replace nuclear bomb with hydra, BP, Ultron which was created by tony stark and whose big bad plan was to let a rock fall, huge ant, asgardian gods, the creation of vision etc or a character like black widow flirting with the hero du jour. The MCU isn't an universe no matter the marketing and adnauseum repetition. At best is an ever resetting sandbox completely disconnected from the rest of the world that it claims to inhabit and which is unable to affect. None of these supposedly relevant events had any discernible impact on the world. All is made irrelevant by the next movie and the next weak villain that can be defeated with a disco dance.

In MOS and BvS there's interaction, there's affects & effects, and there's art. So I do understand when people take offense with the inane and outright offensive comments of "most people" cause they honestly wouldn't know what a good movie makes and just regurgitate dross from paid youtube shills and pompous critics who don't even pay for their movie tickets anymore and adore mastubatory hollywood films like hail ceasar, Birdman, etc.
So you are a bit touched, got it
I thought They said they were going with a more anti-hero role with Black Adam.
Man, Black Adam ain't a villain. I'd be upset with Shazam too if I were him

Yes, that's absolutely right. Black Adam is not a conventional villain, so having someone that the audience likes is not a bad thing.

Always nice to have. Like Magneto..he's right to a point, but goes about it wrong as all hell. Those make some of the best villains, imho..obviously helps to have a strong actor as well. Absolutely enjoyed Zod in MoS..I can say that with no problems.

firelogic

Always nice to have. Like Magneto..he's right to a point, but goes about it wrong as all hell. Those make some of the best villains, imho..obviously helps to have a strong actor as well. Absolutely enjoyed Zod in MoS..I can say that with no problems.

That's what I liked about Zodd. He wasn't just some dude that wanted to take over the world or destroy the world. His whole purpose was to protect his people and now that they're completely gone, he inherited the duty of reviving his people and Earth just happened to be a good place (to him) to repopulate. He didn't even plan on killing Jor-El and didn't take pleasure in it. It's just something he had to do for his people. Great villain!

kmfdmpig

That's what I liked about Zodd. He wasn't just some dude that wanted to take over the world or destroy the world. His whole purpose was to protect his people and now that they're completely gone, he inherited the duty of reviving his people and Earth just happened to be a good place (to him) to repopulate. He didn't even plan on killing Jor-El and didn't take pleasure in it. It's just something he had to do for his people. Great villain!

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Zod was not compelling at all in MoS. The role was played in such an over the top way that if Shannon had a mustache he would have been twirling it the while time. He was more snarling attack dog than solider trying to reluctantly do the best for his people.

firelogic

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Zod was not compelling at all in MoS. The role was played in such an over the top way that if Shannon had a mustache he would have been twirling it the while time. He was more snarling attack dog than solider trying to reluctantly do the best for his people.

hahaha yeah he was a little over the top but that's kind of what Michael Shannon does. Have you seen Premium Rush? He's crazy in that movie!

Yes to all of this! I am basically a fan of everything about MoS that isn't Clark/Sups and this interpretation of the Kent's..even they (ma and pa) I can wrap my head around a bit. I thought both Jor and Zod were the best, most fleshed out characters. Both had their motivations. Both, in essence, were doing what they saw as best for the future of their species.

I thought their characters were written/acted quite superbly, which is a shame (to me), because there are sooo many characters who's story is being told that just aren't as compelling to me. Boy, do I wish they spent less time on Perry to give more airtime/growth to Kal. Kal was/is the most foreign part (for me) of the entire movie.

I went to watch it twice, as I tend to do, and I liked him less and LOVED Crowe and Shannon's characters even more on second viewing. I don't think it's Cavill's fault at all. I know I'm in the minority when I say I enjoyed him in UNCLE. All I can think is that it was a writing/directing issue that just never "clicked" with me.

The one thing I'll say about the theatrical release of BvS is that it somehow made me appreciate MoS more than I did previously. Not a bad Batman movie. Not a great Superman movie. Again, in my opinion..

I didn't see it that way, but hey..some folks tell me broccoli is fantastic. I think they're crazy, but I'm not the one eating it. To each his/her own 🙂

LionPride

Banned
That's a shitty thing to say.

Yes, that's absolutely right. Black Adam is not a conventional villain, so having someone that the audience likes is not a bad thing.
#BlackAdamIsRight

I like the origin being that his wife and children were killed, he killed the person who did it, and Shazam was just like "that wasn't cool, no powers for you"

I'd wanna ruin Shazam too

I loved Michael Shannon. Not only do I think he's one of the best actors alive but also as Zod he made such a one note character (I liked the motivation tho. Got a little global warming commentary in there too) immensely entertaining to watch

I can rewatch Zods trial all day. Shit is hilarious and God damn he goes from 0 to rip your face off real quick.

Hell the character is not unlike Ronan from guardians but the difference on screen is night and day. Dude put in a dope effort.

I loved Michael Shannon. Not only do I think he's one of the best actors alive but also as Zod he made such a one note character (I liked the motivation tho. Got a little global warming commentary in there too) immensely entertaining to watch

I can rewatch Zods trial all day. Shit is hilarious and God damn he goes from 0 to rip your face off real quick.

Hell the character is not unlike Ronan from guardians but the difference on screen is night and day. Dude put in a dope effort.

Staying AWAY from Marvel comparisons..my man. Agreed completely on his characterization. He definitely brings that needed, menacing feeling to it. lol..Thats funny how you bring up his 0-holy shit during his trial. Brilliant stuff.

I dunno. If I may ask..is the disconnect for most that they don't want folks acting like comic book characters in comic book movies? Period? Again, I though he and Crowe were the standouts in MoS..

IconGrist

Hey guys,

So this is my 1,000th post in this thread. Sad, right? I don't think so. I love discussing these movies with you guys. Both the good and the bad. The roller coaster of emotions that have come and gone with our intense hype being slapped by a bombardment of bad reviews. It's been a lot of fun so I'm happy to be a part of it with you all. Yes, even you INST.

Anyway I've been planning to do a text commentary of all the DCEU and MCU movies. Once a week starting with Man of Steel I will post a log of my personal thoughts on these movies in a special designated channel on our Discord group. Timestamps and image will accompany every post so you will have a way to track what scenes I'm talking about without me having to waste efforts on painting the scene for context. After it's been posted the channel will remain open for a week where we can have an open discussion about your thoughts on the movie and how they compare to mine. Both the good and the bad.

Man of Steel will start things off, like I said, with Batman v Superman UC following the next week and Suicide Squad EC the next week. Then I will move on to the MCU week by week and go in order of release until finished (Doctor Strange should be released or close to release by then). If you guys have been enjoying it maybe I can move on to other CBM's like the X-Men franchise, Spider-Man movies, Constantine and whatever else may be requested.

If you'd like to jump in on our Discord where we just shoot the shit along with talk CBM's and other various sometimes strange topics you can do so here: https://discord.gg/sUABAeY

Everyone is welcome, even lurkers.

Man of Steel commentary will be posted sometime within the next 24 hours.

strafer

Hey guys,

So this is my 1,000th post in this thread. Sad, right? I don't think so. I love discussing these movies with you guys. Both the good and the bad. The roller coaster of emotions that have come and gone with our intense hype being slapped by a bombardment of bad reviews. It's been a lot of fun so I'm happy to be a part of it with you all. Yes, even you INST.

Anyway I've been planning to do a text commentary of all the DCEU and MCU movies. Once a week starting with Man of Steel I will post a log of my personal thoughts on these movies in a special designated channel on our Discord group. Timestamps and image will accompany every post so you will have a way to track what scenes I'm talking about without me having to waste efforts on painting the scene for context. After it's been posted the channel will remain open for a week where we can have an open discussion about your thoughts on the movie and how they compare to mine. Both the good and the bad.

Man of Steel will start things off, like I said, with Batman v Superman UC following the next week and Suicide Squad EC the next week. Then I will move on to the MCU week by week and go in order of release until finished (Doctor Strange should be released or close to release by then). If you guys have been enjoying it maybe I can move on to other CBM's like the X-Men franchise, Spider-Man movies, Constantine and whatever else may be requested.

If you'd like to jump in on our Discord where we just shoot the shit along with talk CBM's and other various sometimes strange topics you can do so here: https://discord.gg/sUABAeY

Sounds fantastic.

LionPride

Banned

His Zod is part of the reason I think Man of Steel is such a great movie. I love him in it.

Yager

Banned
Hey guys,

Great idea, but you know what would be best? Make that stuff weekely posts in OT. Everybody in there loves the DCEU!

Corpsepyre

Banned
http://www.cbr.com/batman-v-superman-tops-razzies-shortlist/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista

Oh fuck you, Razzies.

'The ballot has been sent to voting members, who will narrow the list from 10 to 14 entries in each category to the final five nominees, which will be announced Jan. 23, the day before the Academy Awards. It remains to be seen whether “Batman v Superman” will actually appear on the final ballot, but given the film’s poor showing among critics, it probably has a good shot.

The film made the shortlist in every category except Worst Actress and Worst Supporting Actress. It’s in the running for Worst Picture and Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel, Worst Screenplay, Worst Director (Zack Snyder), Worst Actor (both Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck, who starred in the title roles), Worst (both Jesse Eisenberg, who played Lex Luthor, and Jeremy Irons, who played Alfred Pennyworth). Irons is nominated a second time for his supporting role in “Assassin’s Creed.”

strafer

Affleck and Irons? What the fuck?! Even most of the critics said those two were good, especially Irons.

Razzies can suck it.

This has nothing to do with acting or how bad their performance was, it's because it's DC. They will be shit upon for all eternity.

It's just a big kick in the balls. It's actually making me sick.

Cheebo

Banned
This has nothing to do with acting or how bad their performance was, it's because it's DC. They will be shit upon for all eternity.

It's just a big kick in the balls. It's actually making me sick.

It has absolutely nothing to do with DC itself. It is the DCEU that is disliked, not DC in its entirety. There is no anti-DC bias.

Critics and the industry LOVED the Nolan Batman films. If Nolan did a 4th Batman film now I am sure it would go down very positively.

jrush64

Banned
That's another L for DC lol.

I always felt that this movie did not deserve the hate it got. If it was directed by anyone other than Zack Snyder, it would have been received better but whatever.

Dierce

It has absolutely nothing to do with DC itself. It is the DCEU that is disliked, not DC.

Critics and the industry LOVED the Nolan Batman films. If Nolan did a 4th Batman film now I am sure it would go down very positively.
This is what I think as well. There is no way that most critics will be positive about the DCEU, they will judge every single movie coming out on the basis of the previous ones.

And added to that fact the hate that people have towards the DCEU all over the internet and how it makes you cool and part of the crowd, there is no way that this movie universe can be salvaged.

Cheebo

Banned
DCEU is basically on the same trajectory of the Michael Bay Tranformers. Makes money but is treated as a joke by critics and many online.

If you like it keep on liking it but don't hold a grudge against those who judge it negatively against the Nolan Batman films in terms of DC content. I doubt the Bay Transformers fans get upset about it anymore.

Blaming it on a anti-DC bias isn't accurate. It was just recently DC movies in the Nolan series were getting tons of praise, even in the middle of the MCU height. It is just the Synder style DCEU films that are disliked.

IHaveIce

Banned
http://www.cbr.com/batman-v-superman-tops-razzies-shortlist/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista

Oh fuck you, Razzies.

'The ballot has been sent to voting members, who will narrow the list from 10 to 14 entries in each category to the final five nominees, which will be announced Jan. 23, the day before the Academy Awards. It remains to be seen whether “Batman v Superman” will actually appear on the final ballot, but given the film’s poor showing among critics, it probably has a good shot.

The film made the shortlist in every category except Worst Actress and Worst Supporting Actress. It’s in the running for Worst Picture and Worst Prequel, Remake, Ripoff or Sequel, Worst Screenplay, Worst Director (Zack Snyder), Worst Actor (both Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck, who starred in the title roles), Worst (both Jesse Eisenberg, who played Lex Luthor, and Jeremy Irons, who played Alfred Pennyworth). Irons is nominated a second time for his supporting role in “Assassin’s Creed.”

yo the film is dogshit, but affleck and Irons don't deserve this at all.

Cheebo

Banned
yo the film is dogshit, but affleck and Irons don't deserve this at all.

They weren't nominated for BvS directly. Razzies doesn't nominate actors by performance. But overall for the year. Irons I think is in particular for Assassin's Creed? His performance was roundly trashed in that.

Affleck was critically lambasted for his performance in The Accountant for example.

IHaveIce

Banned
They weren't nominated for BvS directror. Razzies doesn't nominate actors by performance. But overall for the year. Irons I think is in particular for Assassin's Creed?

Affleck was critically lambasted for his performance in The Accountant for example.

Oh! Thank you.

Then it seems alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom