• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

All the stuff about tone from both Snyders makes it pretty apparent that they don't actually get why so many people disliked Batman v Superman.

I'd say "tone" was quite a common complaint actually. Most other criticisms were rather specific and changed from person to person. Some disliked Batman for these reasons but others loved him for that. Some disliked Superman for these reasons but others loved him for that. The only common complaint between both parties was pacing and editing (resolved in the UC), and the dark and dreary tone (which bleeds into the character depictions). That's all they really can go off of. You can't adjust for every single complaint ever lodged against BvS. You'd only create a new mess.

ReiGun

I thought people disliked BvS because it wasn't true to its characters.

There's a litany of reasons people didn't like BvS. Fidelity to the source material is one. Tone is another one, and a regularly cited one at that. That people suddenly have amnesia and are acting like addressing a complaint that's been common since freaking Man of Steel is a sign that Zack "doesn't get it!" is funny.

jackdoe

I'd say "tone" was quite a common complaint actually. Most other criticisms were rather specific and changed from person to person. Some disliked Batman for these reasons but others loved him for that. Some disliked Superman for these reasons but others loved him for that. The only common complaint between both parties was pacing and editing (resolved in the UC), and the dark and dreary tone (which bleeds into the character depictions). That's all they really can go off of. You can't adjust for every single complaint ever lodged against BvS. You'd only create a new mess.
And let's be honest, if they had the proper tone, they probably would have skated by the fact that the film was a narrative mess. Unfortunately, we ended up with a movie that took itself so seriously that we, as film goers, had to also take seriously. Which meant that the film's bizarre pacing, editing, and story decisions couldn't be glossed over.

jmood88

There's a litany of reasons people didn't like BvS. Fidelity to the source material is one. Tone is another one, and a regularly cited one at that. That people suddenly have amnesia and are acting like addressing a complaint that's been common since freaking Man of Steel is funny.
No one has amnesia, this unnamed person you're referring to believes that tone was the least of the movie's issues and the oft-cited nonsensical story and horrible editing were more pressing concerns for them to address. The fact that both Deborah and Zack have singled out the complaints about tone as the thing they just have to address makes it appear that they think throwing some moments of levity in there will make everyone ignore Snyder's storytelling struggles.

ReiGun

No one has amnesia, this unnamed person you're referring to believes that tone was the least of the movie's issues and the oft-cited nonsensical story and horrible editing were more pressing concerns for them to address. The fact that both Deborah and Zack have singled out the complaints about tone as the thing they just have to address makes it appear that they think throwing some moments of levity in there will make all of Snyder's storytelling issues disappear.

No unnamed person. Unnamed people. I've seen similar comments on Gaf and beyond since the news hit and it's been funny the whole time. You claim they're not listening and learned nothing when they're addressing a complaint they've heard for four damned years now. I agree the pacing and script are also a problem, but what could they have done to alleviate those concerns? They can't show the reporters copies of the script. They haven't started editing the film yet. They addressed what they could at this moment.

Furthermore, most of the questions they were asked were related to tone; a thing the very reporters talking to them complained about across their last two movies. They're not going to respond to questions they're not asked.

Firemind

No one has amnesia, this unnamed person you're referring to believes that tone was the least of the movie's issues and the oft-cited nonsensical story and horrible editing were more pressing concerns for them to address. The fact that both Deborah and Zack have singled out the complaints about tone as the thing they just have to address makes it appear that they think throwing some moments of levity in there will make everyone ignore Snyder's storytelling struggles.
Blame WB for cutting the film to two and a half hours.

Ahasverus

Except the Ultimate (Zack's) Cut has no editing or story problems whatsoever.

IconGrist

I don't believe Snyder has storytelling struggles. 300 was easy to follow and hit all its beats, same with Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen and Man of Steel. Only Sucker Punch and BvS suffer that complaint in any notable capacity and both were chopped to bits (BvS almost infamously so). The Extended Cut for SP is more coherent (but the premise is flawed to begin with because it can't be translated the way Zack wanted) and the UC for BvS flows really well from what I'm told and has greater emotional impact.

Ashhong

Ah, more jmood comments. Always fun. If you don't think tone was a huge complaint to many, many people then I don't know what to tell you. Yes editing and storytelling were issues (that may or may not be fixed in the UC), but people hated the tone. I wish I could say this for certain, but I would bet the majority of movie goers hated the movie more because of the tone than any editing.

I am really excited by the Faraci article, maybe a bit too much. Anything can look good in small amounts. Here's hoping.

I also think that we will definitely get some kind of teaser for JL at SDCC. I don't mean a Marvel sized "teaser" like Strange, but a BvS spotlight type teaser. It will do wonders just to build hype for the entire universe. 95% chance in my mind.

Effect

I do wonder if the Ultimate Edition does end up being the positive it's shaping up to be if they simply just stop selling the theatrical version. I doubt they'd want to keep that out there going forward and make it clear that the UE is the version that is "canon" going forward. Can't think of examples of this happening in the past but there seem to be a lot first, for good and bad, with this film.

Ashhong

I do wonder if the Ultimate Edition does end up being the positive it's shaping up to be if they simply just stop selling the theatrical version. I doubt they'd want to keep that out there going forward and make it clear that the UE is the version that is "canon" going forward. Can't think of examples of this happening in the past but there seem to be a lot first, for good and bad, with this film.

From what I've seen, every version has the UE, and the Theatrical is more of an afterthought. I imagine when someone presses play on the BR, it will play the UE

Ahasverus

I think that's the idea, yes. A gaffer confirmed the airplane version which is the theatrical has a disclaimer saying it was cut for length.

Comments about the tone and deconstruction from the Snyders is sort of flippant. But, you know, if they talked about editing, writing, et al. it'd fall on deaf ears. Because that's discourse on the internet. It's why destruction or Martha or desaturated are brought up time and time again. In that sense, it's a response the vast majority of complaints deserve. Just look at the title on the OT or the various articles. They zone in on the catchy headline of a lighter JL. That's the motivation behind these comments. But I don't for one second believe that's the internal conversation they're having.

JL Info is kind of troubling tbh, I don't really care for quippiness and it sounds like that's exactly where the DCEU is heading, atleast with JL.

Also no Shazam on the franchise wall, no ongoing (well, not yet) and no mention during the TV special is very telling. Either gone or not canon to DCEU anymore.

Ashhong

JL Info is kind of troubling tbh, I don't really care for quippiness and it sounds like that's exactly where the DCEU is heading, atleast with JL.

Also no Shazam on the franchise wall, no ongoing (well, not yet) and no mention during the TV special is very telling. Either gone or not canon to DCEU anymore.

It sounds like the cartoon to me, which works for me

Boke1879

Come on now. They always said JL would be lighter in tone and even before all of this they referenced Flash's character providing some sort of comedic relief.

Not to mention wasn't the script and everything in place months ago for this movie. I have no doubt's their changing shit up, but I also doubt it's going to be a full on comedy like Age of Ultron either.

This movie needs to benefit from being fun. I loved BvS and appreciated it's darker tone and it's take on more serious themes, but for this movie it was never going to be that.

I'm still going to watch it for sure, premiere night. Just seems like the whole press event was tryharding the "we're super fun and jokey now". Ofc we won't know until we see the film, I'm sure it's not saturated with jokes, that's just not how Zack does his movies.

Boke1879

I'm still going to watch it for sure, premiere night. Just seems like the whole press event was tryharding the "we're super fun and jokey now". Ofc we won't know until we see the film, I'm sure it's not saturated with jokes, that's just not how Zack does his movies.

I Get what you're saying. This whole event is definitely PR though. They definitely showed the Bruce and Barry scene to show the journalists that entire tone of the movie won't be depressing. Sure the editing and pacing needs to be top notch.

But this is to show people this movie has the potential to be fun. Because if a movie is fun it'll always have that to fall back on even if other areas fail.

Raptor

Im skeptical myself if this changes fixed editing and pacing issues, need to watch it on a relax night with a six pack of beer.

:D

Bleepey

Ahasverus is weird like that, lol. Remember when he was running around with a "False God" Terrio avatar, condemned him and Snyder? And IIRC all before he even saw the movie.

He might have seen it early. But from what I read of hm the leaked spoilers from the ultimate edition it remedies so many of the complaints I had with the film. I thought to myself, why didn't Superman save this person, how did Batman know Superman would come when he shone the Knight Light (yeah I know that's not the real name), how did the Batbranding kill people etc. The film even had stuff you rarely see touched upon in the comics with Superman being an investigative journalist.

all the parties (WB/Snyder/Terrio) should carry the blame tbh. they all had a hand in it's shortcomings in some way or another.

i don't think a Batman and Superman movie should have to be 3 hours though. They really should have just figured out a way to elegantly weave certain plot points and cut some stuff out (did that court scene really need to be dragged out for so long? it feels like eternity while she stares at Granny's Peach Pee, the justice league teases were horrible and momentum-killers to boot etc.)

Ashhong

Most movies don't require the longer cut for the story to begin making sense.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, especially if the reports are true that WB approved the 3 hour cut. If you are told you have 3 hours, and plan for that, then have to cut out 30 minutes, of course bad shit would happen. I would blame whoever edited it more though, I'm sure there's a workable movie in there if they cut it better.

Azerth

LOL

They already trimmed it to three hours by the time test screenings went up. Blame WB for trying to cram as many showings as they could possibly muster in a day.

Ya but theres a diff between cutting a 3 hr long movie to 2 and half hours. Instead they had to cut a 4 hr long mvoie down to 2 and half hours

Ya but theres a diff between cutting a 3 hr long movie to 2 and half hours. Instead they had to cut a 4 hr long mvoie down to 2 and half hours

It's not uncommon at all for initial cuts of even a 2 hour movie to be 3.5-4 hours. This is before they've done the raw editing and finishing touches.

man why is this genre under so much damn scrutiny?!! lol. i never see other non-marvel/xmen/dc films' discussion revolve around tone and jokes and length etc. to this extent

ReiGun

Comments about the tone and deconstruction from the Snyders is sort of flippant. But, you know, if they talked about editing, writing, et al. it'd fall on deaf ears. Because that's discourse on the internet. It's why destruction or Martha or desaturated are brought up time and time again. In that sense, it's a response the vast majority of complaints deserve. Just look at the title on the OT or the various articles. They zone in on the catchy headline of a lighter JL. That's the motivation behind these comments. But I don't for one second believe that's the internal conversation they're having.

Exactly. 90% percent of the discussion surrounding these movies are people regurgitating memes. That's both for or against. Of course they're going to respond to the things they've heard the most about when interviewed. Especially when talking to the people who wrote the articles that pushed those narratives in the first place.

I'm sure the conversations they've had among themselves and with WB execs go beyond "more jokes." Whether that produces results remains to be seen.

man why is this genre under so much damn scrutiny?!! lol. i never see other non-marvel/xmen/dc films' discussion revolve around tone and jokes and length etc. to this extent

I'm sure there's many reasons, but for now, I'm gonna go with "comic nerds are bonkers."

Ahasverus

Ahasverus is weird like that, lol. Remember when he was running around with a "False God" Terrio avatar, condemned him and Snyder? And IIRC all before he even saw the movie.
Haha good times. I did dislike the movie after the first watch. Very much. But those were form complaints, I had no problem with the interpretation of those characters at all. The Avatar thing was tongue in cheek of course, Terrio is still da gawd to me, the movie was absolutely solid plot wise. Hindrances like the Martha scene fall on Zack, same with the Knightmare which Chris was against and Zack filmed it anyways.
Wonder Woman is kind of getting overshadowed right now.
I say no Justice League trailer this year. Promote Wondie first
I agree, they need WW to be a hit, at this point in the Suicide Squad cycle we already had a trailer.

Ultimate Cut could've been cut down to 2:30 without messing up the story and pacing as much as the theatrical. It's been discussed many times, and the logistics are complicated from a business standpoint, since these are expensive action scenes.

Cut Knightmare. Trim and shorten the Batmobile chase. Shorten the fight club scene. Cut out the nuke scene. Visual of Batman looking up at the explosion is cool but in some ways it undercuts Superman's actual death with the fake out. Maybe cut out the entire bullet plot line.

jackdoe

Ultimate Cut could've been cut down to 2:30 without messing up the story and pacing as much as the theatrical. It's been discussed many times, and the logistics are complicated from a business standpoint, since these are expensive action scenes.

Cut Knightmare. Trim and shorten the Batmobile chase. Shorten the fight club scene. Cut out the nuke scene. Visual of Batman looking up at the explosion is cool but in some ways it undercuts Superman's actual death with the fake out. Maybe cut out the entire bullet plot line.
They could have cut the entire Batmobile chase and the movie would have lost nothing (especially since it was so poorly staged and a complete mess of an action sequence).

Ahasverus

No argument here. There is a very competent 2:30 hours cut waiting to be made by a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom