• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unnecessary, Superman gave his answer when he died to stop Doomsday

-rubs temples- this is almost "tell that to Zod's snapped neck" levels of bad

Superman should have had a moment to explain and defend himself. Story wise you could say Lex didn't want that to happen and blew up the Senate before he had a chance to speak, but script wise, it was bad to omit it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
source.gif

She can't even act in a gif, fuck her.

Setsuna

-rubs temples- this is almost "tell that to Zod's snapped neck" levels of bad

Superman should have had a moment to explain and defend himself. Story wise you could say Lex didn't want that to happen and blew up the Senate before he had a chance to speak, but script wise, it was bad to omit it.

No its not. The fuck are you talking about?

This is basic story telling. For a character to be proposed a question in this case its for the world to know what he stands for? and how far will he take his power?

And he answered those questions by fighting to protect the world from Doomsday and in the process giving up his lfie

Bleepey

Sorry for the double post, but my rebuttal in bold.

Humanity sucking has nothing to with how badly clark is portrayed.

It it sort of his fault, and the film never actually lets him tell his side of the story, to either Bruce or the public. We as the audience knows this but no one else does.
Watch MOS if you want Clark's perspective. Also are you saying that Lex-in-name-only is so petty that he would not let Superman state, explain and defend himself to the general public and change public opinion?. Basically ruin his reputation.

deadpool-shock-hands-to-face.gif

You'd almost swear that was his plan or something from the comics that Lex at his scheming best would do! But anyhow, the film does state that there are parts of the media that like Clark, you can tell this from the talking heads acting as a Greek chorus and the shit talking about puff piece editorials about saved cats from trees from Bruce and Swanwick saying Lois is biased,

The same thing can be said for any superhero, not just superman.

Urmmm OK. What do you want me to say? Compare the Marvel and DC films?They explore it in the first and second films of the DCEU meanwhile in Marvel, Iron Man saves people from a village and it leads to nothing but good things. Thunderbolt Ross's nu--Hulk under his watch goes on a rampage in Harlem and he gets promoted to Secretary of State. Avengers are given the opportunity to save people from collateral damage cos the script allows it, Iron Man leads a giant monster through Manhattan and no one bitches about why didn't he take the monster to an empty place or towards the Hudson or East River. Meanwhile Clark tries to fly away and Zod won't let him.

Yes, he was framed but one can argue that he shouldn't have been in Africa in the frst place. it's a thing in comics how the Justice League tends to avoid going to certain countries due to political treaties.

That was the point of the movie. Even apolitical actions have unforeseen consequences. Saving your gf, removing a warlord, and saving people from drones can destabilise a region.

but in the process he doesn't even do the damn job he's being paid to do.

The film was trying to make a point about the priorities of the media where they'd rather report on non pertinent news that sells more papers ( a fight on a Football game), than a vigilante that acts like a fascist in a area where crime is endemic. No one but him gave a shit.
Bleepys argument rings hollow, he tries to throw shade at Captian America for being above the law, but forgets what got Superman in the mess of BvS is literally decideding to be above the law. He interfered in a US military mission, he destroyed the sattalite that was meant to track him, and according to that montage dude keeps skirting international law. Is it in service of the great good yes, it you can say the same thing about Captian America.

My point which you are overlooking is that when people say even well-intentioned actions have unforeseen consequences in both movies, both characters respond to criticism differently.. Clark's first course of action is to hold himself to account and he goes to that senate hearing to defend himself. Cap says fuck you, I can do what I want, I know better than you, safest hands are still our own in this bitch. USA out!
Something along those lines

It's lit

🔥🔥🔥🔥

The fire rises. Batman back on track to being best comic movie since the dark knight (prolly gonna be best since Logan with the things I'm hearing about that but I'll see for myself next week)

I already found BvS plenty interesting. Continuing with those elements but without all this dc universe set up baggage. Whew.

Penguin

I was fine with Affleck directing, but was really disappointed when Reeves was in contention then left

I REALLY like Dawn of the Planet of the apes... and that last fight sequence

I'm mega-stoked!

Good grief these people will latch onto anything.

You want to see concern trolling?

https://twitter.com/JimVejvoda/status/834852114245496832

Warners has officially announced Matt Reeves to direct The Batman but the press release DOESN'T MENTION AFFLECK

https://twitter.com/JimVejvoda/status/834852114245496832

The Batman press release announcing Matt reeves also doesn't mention Geoff Johns

Ironic coming from him and what I remember him bitching about on their podcast back when I used to listen to it. Hated it and now is one of the first to do it.

Ninjimbo

I think it's fair to speculate about Affleck's involvement. He's already lied to us once about directing the movie so why can't he lie again? I know he gave his word about acting and producing the film but that's not worth much of anything anymore. We're going to have to see receipts.

That said, I still think Ben really wants to do this film so I'm not worried. I am worried about him shedding all that weight tho.

I think it's fair to speculate about Affleck's involvement. He's already lied to us once about directing the movie so why can't he lie again? I know he gave his word about acting and producing the film but that's not worth much of anything anymore. We're going to have to see receipts.

That said, I still think Ben really wants to do this film so I'm not worried. I am worried about him shedding all that weight tho.

Oh, I think it's fair to an extent, but jesus the body isn't even cold yet. The official announcement about Reeves is now about Affleck and Johns not being mentioned. I mean the statement is about who is directing The Batman and neither of them are doing that, so why mention them?

ryan299

Speculation about Affleck leaving is going to continue until they start filming.

Said this in the ot, I think producer is a huge deal for Reeves, not only bc of money, but also creatively. Not sure why you'd want to sign on if you don't have some creative control over the film and know that the studio isn't going to screw you.

I think Ben won't shy away from at least starring in the solo movie, specially if it's in his contract.

His Batman was one of the universally praised aspects of BvS so I doubt he's disappointed about his own work. Unless he throws some diva hissy fit .

Ninjimbo

Oh, I think it's fair to an extent, but jesus the body isn't even cold yet. The official announcement about Reeves is now about Affleck and Johns not being mentioned. I mean the statement is about who is directing The Batman and neither of them are doing that, so why mention them?
Yeah, that's jumping the gun a bit. It's coming from Twitter tho so you have to be bombastic to get attention. The fervor around these properties isn't normal. At this point I'm not expecting people's actions to make sense.

Speculation about Affleck leaving is going to continue until they start filming.

Said this in the ot, I think producer is a huge deal for Reeves, not only bc of money, but also creatively. Not sure why you'd want to sign on if you don't have some creative control over the film and know that the studio isn't going to screw you.

I'd say the added producer credit does exactly that.

ColliderFrosty, who I think might have been the first to spill the beans on twitter, has also thrown in and said he believes he'll alter whatever script they have and the press release only fuels the fires of what he's heard is going on at Warner Bros.

Joe Magninalello is biting his nails and his fingers and his hands right now. I wonder how hard Affleck will cape for him

I wouldn't be surprised if he has creative freedom within reason. If Joe has been signed for a decent amount, I'm sure there's a "You gotta work Deathstroke in" mandate.

Anyone with more knowledge on the subject, if this thing was originally planned to start in the April/May timeframe, would sets have already been under some level of construction? If so, I could see them encouraging him to use what's already been done so it's not wasted money.

I am now only cautiously optimistic about The Batman. I still fully expect meddling from Warner.

If they can not fuck it up just once, this stands to be the best DCCU film by miles. Reeves is fantastic

a916

Frosty might have been the first to break the story... but he's still fueling the fans about Affleck leaving or something ominous.

I've heard a lot of things about what's going on at WB and The Batman press release only fuels the fire...

Man... if Affleck drops out so soon... I can't hit my head harder on the desk. They couldn't get a dude to play Batman for more than 3 movies? Are you kidding me with this crap?

I am now only cautiously optimistic about The Batman. I still fully expect meddling from Warner.

If they can not fuck it up just once, this stands to be the best DCCU film by miles. Reeves is fantastic

How much meddling do they need to do before realising how terrible they are at it? Let the creatives do their thing because the meddling has been the most damaging aspect of this film universe.

Ironically they meddle, but still allowed Snyder to make all those ballsy decisions that shaped the DCEU.

guek

Banned
How much meddling do they need to do before realising how terrible they are at it? Let the creatives do their thing because the meddling has been the most damaging aspect of this film universe.

Ironically they meddle, but still allowed Snyder to make all those ballsy decisions that shaped the DCEU.

WB has been incredibly reactionary when it comes to the DCEU, I don't see that changing any time soon. What I mean by that is whether or not they interfere with production probably depends on how smooth production is once the project gets rolling as well as the reception to JL and WW.

You're giving too much credit to the people making decisions. Someone said "We should probably do one of those cinematic universe things with Batman" and another followed up with, "Well Snyder is a comic guy and he made movies, he should be fine."

And that was the end of it. No one gave a shit what he was trying to do and I doubt they even understood it when he explained it to them. They only realized they needed to get involved when it got trashed by critics and money was on the line.

In a long term perspective Affleck is unimportant. I'm not bothered if the movie is him getting killed by deathstroke and Dick Grayson growing into the cowl.

a916

You're giving too much credit to the people making decisions. Someone said "We should probably do one of those cinematic universe things with Batman" and another followed up with, "Well Snyder is a comic guy and he made movies, he should be fine."

And that was the end of it. No one gave a shit what he was trying to actually do and I doubt they even understood it when he explained it to them. They only realized they needed to get involved when it got trashed by critics.

They meddled enough to put out the far inferior release.

If only I could be a fly on the wall and see what the hell is going on... what's their long term plan? Is it still up in the air? Has Johns sorted stuff out, at least from a story point of view.

ryan299

Nightwing movie incoming.
Via THR

Warner Bros. is plotting a new DC superhero film based on the Batman-centric character Nightwing.

Chris McKay, who most recently directed the Lego Batman Movie for Warner Bros., is in negotiations to helm the new film, and Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the script.

a916

You know what... I could be excited but nah.

I just sounds like they have a green light on all DC properties which means you'll hear rumors of every character from now until eternity. Doesn't mean they'll get made. WB is just letting everything happen which has it's pros and cons.

Pro: Develop and nurture all these scripts, and cherry pick the best ones and fit them inside the DCEU.

Con: They have no idea what their doing and just throwing names out there and seeing what sticks.

I told people to brace themselves.

I'm fine with Batverse being independent of the DCCU, to be honest. Whatever ends up being great

Spin it out. Someone in the Reeves OT thread had a good idea. Gotham Cinematic Universe. Batman films are the equivalent to Justice League/Avenger films.

I don't think WB really meddled much until Suicide Squad. With BvS, it seems that Snyder shot a 3hr movie, submitted it, and was then told to cut it down by half an hour and he complied. That move ultimately hamstrung the movie but both cuts still feel fairly in line with his vision.

Agreed. Batman v Superman was more of an issue with releasing a 3 hour movie than anything else. 3 hour movies kill the amount of showings that can happen in a given day.

guek

Banned
They meddled enough to put out the far inferior release.

If only I could be a fly on the wall and see what the hell is going on... what's their long term plan? Is it still up in the air? Has Johns sorted stuff out, at least from a story point of view.

I don't think WB really meddled much until Suicide Squad. With BvS, it seems that Snyder shot a 3hr movie, submitted it, and was then told to cut it down by half an hour and he complied. That move ultimately hamstrung the movie but both cuts still feel fairly in line with his vision.

Penguin

I also know some of the questionable choices in BvS was actually Snyder

I know several screen tests noted that the Knightmare sequence made no sense and wanted him to remove it, but he kept it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

I know several screen tests noted that the Knightmare sequence made no sense and wanted him to remove it, but he kept it.

It was goddamn dope to see tho.

a916

I told people to brace themselves.

Spin it out. Someone in the Reeves OT thread had a good idea. Gotham Cinematic Universe. Batman films are the equivalent to Justice League/Avenger films.

That just waters down the Batman product and stretches it thin... I would rather Batman be the special ace they only call in certain times.

Ahasverus

Snyder is literally a dog chasing cars. Even Terrio removed the Knightmare. Hopefully Chris had more input on JL.
lol Nightwing will replace Batfleck. Calling it now. In fact I called it weeks ago.
Really transparent. Hopefully they go for the Omega death for Bats. Batfleck, the ultimate jobber to Darkseid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom