• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

I'm actually glad I never saw the theatrical version at this point. Hopefully I'll just go into it and kind of enjoy myself now.

Just fro curiosity, without being spoilery, what makes this one R rated? More brutal and dark? You can get away with a lot in PG13 movies now.

Dead

well not really...yet
repost for new page

So, YMMV, but...

I know some people were hoping this would be a Kingdom of Heaven level improvement. Here' s the deal, it's not, but it's the biggest improvement an extended cut has made to a film since KoH IMO. It can't be at the KoH level simply because Scott's DC took a movie that some people literally hated, and made them come around to it. The people that HATE this movie due to reasons like the tone, or decisions in how these characters are portrayed, won't be swayed. This movie will never be for them, that's all there is. But for everyone else, those who already loved or liked it, or those on the fence due to the critical flaws of the TC (pacing, editing, characterization, poor narrative development)...this is a very big improvement.

Improvements:

- Proper narrative flow
- Logical editing and scene transitions
- Vastly improved pacing
- Establishing of setting
- Restoring Clark's agency in the film as co-lead with Bruce
- Restoring Lois' relevance to the film
- A more clear and better executed build up of Lex's plan.

Where before it felt like scenes just ended and moved on to other non related scenes, the whole thing just flows naturally now because not only are the individual scenes allowed to breathe more, but the overall tapestry moves in a way that makes sense thanks to the restoration of deleted subplots.

The movie also gives us a much better sense of place. Like Batman's intro, instead of going straight to the chimney full of bats, the movie begins with the two cops in their car enjoying a football match between Gotham and Metropolis, followed by them driving off into a big establishing shot of Gotham city. Or when Clark goes the mountains, originally he's just there at the top, now we see Clark arrive at the base of the mountain as some locals comment on his climbing up, it's a much less jarring sequence of events.

One of the biggest revelations in this cut for me, was just how fantastic the lead up to the senate bombing is. You literally just see all these pieces falling into places, with Lex manipulating the strings in the background. There's this huge sense of build up that was utterly lacking before.

The additions to the ending were also really nice. The shots of Metropolis deserted, the offices of the Planet empty, as everyone is gathered at Superman's funeral. Pete Ross at Clark's funeral. The Priest from MoS is officiating Clark's funeral, the implication that Bruce paid for it... All help to make the event seem bigger and more emotional than in the theatrical cut.

Overall, the theatrical cut was around a 6.5/10 for me. This bumps it to an 8.5/10 for me personally. It's a more complete work and clearly what should have been what was released in theaters (or as close to it as possible)

I'm actually glad I never saw the theatrical version at this point. Hopefully I'll just go into it and kind of enjoy myself now.

Just fro curiosity, without being spoilery, what makes this one R rated? More brutal and dark? You can get away with a lot in PG13 movies now.
A considerable amount of blood splatter from gunshots, decent amount of gun violence in general, and a gorier edit of a spoiler scene. It's not a hard R, but it's considerably more violent than your average PG-13 movie. Basically think back to how bloodless the Nolan movies were despite the violence. This cut of the movie doesn't sanitize violence for ratings sake.

Another reason for the R rating would probably be
longer, zoomed-out shots of Superman being stabbed. The theatrical version zoomed-in so you wouldn't see it too clearly. It's far clearer in the extended cut.

VanWinkle

From what I understand, it's just sequences of violence that weren't in the theatrical cut.

cJDbwkt.jpg

eFYrqSb.jpg

DTly1fu.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
When JL is done, Snyder needs to go back to making R rated films. It's where his sensibilities feel at home.

Both Sucker Punch and BvS, movies made with PG-13 in mind, and both ended up slapped with R ratings in their director's cuts.

edit:

Frosty from Collider:

mhrYlVt.jpg

Big cape fan in general, but wasn't really a huge proponent of the theatrical film.

Hmm, looks like Vudu has a disc+digital option. I can watch it now digitally and then Walmart will ship the disc out to me when that releases. But it doesn't say if it's a blu-ray or not. Hmmm...

Edit: actually, it IS the blu-ray, and it's the same price that Amazon charges for the physical copy! SWEET! So now I can watch it tomorrow, and still have the blu-ray copy like I wanted, without spending any extra money.

Oh? Where is this option? Do I have to click to purchase it to see it on Vudu's site? I don't see anything anywhere else on the page.

Oh...the page I was on this whole time was only for the extended cut, so it wasn't there. I went to the front page, and clicked the link there, and now I see it. Heh. Thanks.

JTripper

Hmm, really can't go wrong with that VUDU offer, right? You get the digital version now and then the Blu Ray ultimate edition when it releases from Wal-Mart all for $25?

Hmm, really can't go wrong with that VUDU offer, right? You get the digital version now and then the Blu Ray ultimate edition when it releases from Wal-Mart all for $25?

My only hesitation would be not getting the blu-ray when it releases for some reason and having to deal with that complication.

Anyone have experience with this offer before?

Dead

well not really...yet
wow, John Schnepp at Collider did a complete 180. Hated the theatrical cut, but really liked the UC.

They just released a 30 minute video review with the consensus seeming to be "night and day"

ezekial45

Banned
Just came back from the screening. Much, much better film than the one we got back in March. Obviously they couldn't release this version of the movie back then because of the length, but I still wonder how things would be if they did.

It solves much of the plot holes and awkward pacing from the other version, and I can easily say that this is the one people should watch from here on out. Unfortunately, the Ultimate Cut pronounced and made worse a lot of the issues I had with the movie.

To me, BvS is a very mean and bleak movie. I'm not trying to say it's about #NotMySupeman or "too dark, give me Marvel!", but I feel they missed the mark with a number of the characters in terms of tone and interactions. To me, Superman is the true victim of this movie. He's symbol of hope in a very hopeless and bitter world. To me, the scene that sealed it for me was when there's an anti-Superman protest where they burn a Superman effigy. They immediately cut to a young kid and his mother watching in horror on TV. This is a fucking horrible, horrible message to send to kids and to people that look up to the character for what he stands for. Which is HOPE.

I'm not so bothered by the Batman killing angle, but I am bothered and somewhat appalled by the angle of which they tried portraying Superman as this JOB-esque figure that constantly has to deal with failure, humiliation, and disappointment. The ending scene of his death was a reminder of how off the mark this movie was. He finally gets the respect and understanding of the public, and they finally see him as a hero. And all he had to do was die --- and that really sucks.

Anyway, that's what bugged me about the movie. I always thought of myself as a Batman guy, so I'm very surprised to see how worked up I am about Superman. I still enjoyed the movie to an extent, but I pleased to hear they're toning down the bleakness for Justice League. I feel awful for Henry Cavill, though. I think he's an awesome Superman, and yet he has to deal with such weird material for the character.

IconGrist

Small thing I noticed. Not really a spoiler so don't bite my head off Kenzo. The pee in the glass was recolored to look more like pee in the UC.

Can I change my region on iTunes and just buy it ?

Also, what happens to my credit when I do that ? I have 20€ on it and don't wanna lose it.

antovolk

When is the Extended Cut coming out on Bluray?

I'm also very happy to learn about the runtime for Suicide Squad.

July 19

Can I change my region on iTunes and just buy it ?

Also, what happens to my credit when I do that ? I have 20€ on it and don't wanna lose it.

Yes - you'd need to set up a new region account: http://technologyfueled.com/ipad-tr...ate-a-us-itunes-account-without-a-credit-card and get a gift card from https://www.mygiftcardsupply.com

Review from Collider & El Mayimbe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSI2w1Q_PXk

Just came back from the screening. Much, much better film than the one we got back in March. Obviously they couldn't release this version of the movie back then because of the length, but I still wonder how things would be if they did.

It solves much of the plot holes and awkward pacing from the other version, and I can easily say that this is the one people should watch from here on out. Unfortunately, the Ultimate Cut pronounced and made worse a lot of the issues I had with the movie.

To me, BvS is a very mean and bleak movie. I'm not trying to say it's about #NotMySupeman or "too dark, give me Marvel!", but I feel they missed the mark with a number of the characters in terms of tone and interactions. To me, Superman is the true victim of this movie. He's symbol of hope in a very hopeless and bitter world. To me, the scene that sealed it for me was when there's an anti-Superman protest where they burn a Superman effigy. They immediately cut to a young kid and his mother watching in horror on TV. This is a fucking horrible, horrible message to send to kids and to people that look up to the character for what he stands for. Which is HOPE.

I'm not so bothered by the Batman killing angle, but I am bothered and somewhat appalled by the angle of which they tried portraying Superman as this JOB-esque figure that constantly has to deal with failure, humiliation, and disappointment. The ending scene of his death was a reminder of how off the mark this movie was. He finally gets the respect and understanding of the public, and they finally see him as a hero. And all he had to do was die --- and that really sucks.

Anyway, that's what bugged me about the movie. I always thought of myself as a Batman guy, so I'm very surprised to see how worked up I am about Superman. I still enjoyed the movie to an extent, but I pleased to hear they're toning down the bleakness for Justice League. I feel awful for Henry Cavill, though. I think he's an awesome Superman, and yet he has to deal with such weird material for the character.

In the real world not everyone loves you Even if you do the right thing, it's never made any sense that every single citizen in the world falls head over heels for superman without question. Jor-el warned about this all the way back in MoS. this is actually a good thing as it presents a real challenge to superman that he can't overcome with his powers.

Really surprised Schnepp liked it considering he absolutely hated the TC. Thought for sure his reaction would be it was improved but overall not great.

IconGrist

Wow, much better but holy hell you will feel that 3 hour runtime. By the second hour you're still a ways away from the title fight while in the TC you're already on Doomsday.

antovolk

Wow, much better but holy hell you will feel that 3 hour runtime. By the second hour you're still a ways away from the title fight while in the TC you're already on Doomsday.
Nowhere near as slow as Watchmen though.

Imagine a big roadshow style screening.....

IconGrist

Nowhere near as slow as Watchmen though.

Imagine a big roadshow style screening.....

Yea Watchmen was much slower. This takes its sweet ass time telling the story but the additional scenes added so much more weight. The funeral scene would fool you into thinking someone took duties away from Snyder and gave it to someone more competent.

antovolk

Yea Watchmen was much slower. This takes its sweet ass time telling the story but the additional scenes added so much more weight. The funeral scene would fool you into thinking someone took duties away from Snyder and gave it to someone more competent.

The epilogue in the extended cut is absolutely wonderful, I agree. And the whole death really has far more weight given that we've had more time with the characters in this cut.

And as I've said before, this and Watchmen (the two films greatly complement each other, BvS is essentially the love child of Watchmen and TDKR) are probably the first and last such 3-hr "epics" we'll get from this genre, if not from mainstream blockbuster cinema as a whole (except Nolan)

IconGrist

I'm going to jump in the pool with guys like Schnepp, Frosty and Umberto (and a few others I've seen mention this) that feels sorry for Snyder. I mean he was fucking shit on from such great heights in such massive quantities for Batman v Superman. Then you watch this cut and the only thing you can think of is "Goddammit WB what the fuck did you do!?"

Now there are still some script problems here, don't get me wrong. Kingdom of Heaven DC this is not but damn, man. Why okay Snyder to make a 3 hour movie and then chop his balls off and release that abomination to the public? A-B-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. I can't imagine ever willfully subjecting myself to the TC ever again. It's so bad in comparison. I think I originally gave it like a 6 or 7 or something. I wish I was harsher. Like a 4. The UC would be a solid 8. Which is about what I gave Civil War.

Everybody improves here. Everyone. Bruce, Clark, Finch, KGBeast, Lex, Lois and fuckin' Perry. Even Jenny gets a couple extra lines. Senator Swanwyck and Major Ferris get some love. Fuckin' hell. I'm going to have some trouble trusting WB's decision making after this. Not that I implicitly did so before but what little there was is even less now.

BvS review

this sounds good. honestly certain plot/tone issues bothered me about as much as the hacked up editing/pacing of the thing so I dunno if it'll get as high a bump from me but I'm glad they at least resolved the structure of the movie. that was a big one.

this might be the most ambitious superhero film since Nolan's trilogy though which I gotta commend, I'll likely think that even more when I see the 3 hour cut. the batman only attracts really lofty goals now I guess, whether or not they end up delivering on them.

will check it out tomorrow.

Yager

Banned
Fucking hell I want to watch this now, but I don't know where to get it from in Spain. I guess I'll just have to wait, fuck.

If there's a God, he hates me this week. First, five hour delay in the flight from London to Barcelona, making it impossible for me to watch Argentina-Chile. When I got to Barcelona I found out Chile beat us fucking again. And then that PP won the elections. And now I have to wait for the UC. At least yesterday Italy won, so there's that.

antovolk

Fucking hell I want to watch this now, but I don't know where to get it from in Spain. I guess I'll just have to wait, fuck.

If there's a God, he hates me this week. First, five hour delay in the flight from London to Barcelona, making it impossible for me to watch Argentina-Chile. When I got to Barcelona I found out Chile beat us fucking again. And then that PP won the elections. And now I have to wait for the UC. At least yesterday Italy won, so there's that.

iTunes instructions are few posts above.

jrush64

Banned
I didn't even know about that Vudu walmart option. I will be using that from now on for every single movie I buy.

I'm watching the Ultimate Edition now, just finished the Africa scene and it makes much much sense why Clark was being blamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom