• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know folks disagree but look at those BTS shots of Superman. All that muscle padding on top of Cavill's already buff physique makes him too buff. Man of Steel had a better balance.

IconGrist

I know folks disagree but look at those BTS shots of Superman. All that muscle padding on top of Cavill's already buff physique makes him too buff. Man of Steel had a better balance.

Agreed. Cavill has implied he'll be somewhat smaller in JL so hopefully that MoS balance returns.

XCGU9hx.jpg

KRjBmHM.jpg

h5JeJwF.jpg

qGrd8dE.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So is there anywhere I can just rent the UC? I already have the 3D Blu Ray on pre-order so I don't want to buy this twice.

IconGrist

My new favorite moment in BvS is (spoilers from UC)
Bruce admitting he should have listened to Alfred before ("I don't deserve you, Alfred.").

guek

Banned
Does he?

I thought Thomas' sole motivation was making sure his son lived.

Yeah but what's more likely, this complete stranger that showed up out of the blue is a time traveling dimension hopper or he's not and he somehow uncovered intimate details about your life in order to manipulate you? Both are incredibly unlikely in context but one is substantially more probable.

The moment that really gets me is when they try to recreate the accident that created the Flash. Thomas doesn't ever go, "what the fuck is this shit, you're going to kill yourself with this nonsense." He just kind of rolls with it for no good reason. But what more, he casually agrees to try it again without objection after it fails spectacularly the first time! After Barry regains his powers, it makes a lot more sense to trust him, but not before that point. The only real explanation I can think up is Thomas just didn't give a damn anymore and figured the world was about to implode anyway so might as well indulge this crazy person in multiple suicide attempts to see if he's telling the truth.

IconGrist

Yeah but what's more likely, this complete stranger that showed up out of the blue is a time traveling dimension hopper or he's not and he somehow uncovered intimate details about your life in order to manipulate you? Both are incredibly unlikely in context but one is substantially more probable.

The moment that really gets me is when they try to recreate the accident that created the Flash. Thomas doesn't ever go, "what the fuck is this shit, you're going to kill yourself with this nonsense." He just kind of rolls with it for no good reason. But what more, he casually agrees to try it again without objection after it fails spectacularly the first time! After Barry regains his powers, it makes a lot more sense to trust him, but not before that point. The only real explanation I can think up is Thomas just didn't give a damn anymore and figured the world was about to implode anyway so might as well indulge this crazy person in multiple suicide attempts to see if he's telling the truth.

Well, you have to admit Barry was being very specific. That alone is enough to at least consider the possibility he's telling the truth.

VanWinkle

Alright, just finished it. VERY long movie. Man. Too long, I think. But it really did feel like what the movie was supposed to be. Character motivations were made more clear, Lex's insanity was much more apparent and sprinkled properly throughout the movie, editing overall was much better, and the ending had a bigger impact. Oh, the Africa scene, I can't believe how much that was cut and disjointed in the theatrical cut. It felt way more coherent and meaningful here. Lois was a much more important character and she showed her prowess as an investigative journalist.

Overall, it is a much better movie for people who saw the good in it. It does nothing to sway people who were turned off by its tone. It's a dark, dreary, somber movie, and this doesn't change that (nor should it).

kmfdmpig

So, consensus on the ultimate cut?

I thought it was a bit better. I worried that the extras would make the oppressive bleakness a bit overwhelming, but they didn't. I liked it more than the theatrical version, although it's a marginal upgrade, not a total game changer if you hated it the first time*

* I may update this Larry Fong style if WB tells me to.

My main problem with the film is Lex. Nothing about Lex worked for me, and it didn't in the extended version either. Wonder Woman, however, remains great.

shingi70

Banned
I did a Man of Steel/Ultimate Edition double.beader.with my girlfriend and her siblings today. Going to rewatch the use by myself, but man it takes the movie from a 6/10 to a 9/10 for me.

One disappointment I still have is that, hee four year old brother is in the room and he's going into the age where he likes or at least knows what who superheroes are. So once the film hits the titular fight we had to take him out the room due to how brutal the rest of the film is, which sucks.

VanWinkle

I thought it was a bit better. I worried that the extras would make the oppressive bleakness a bit overwhelming, but they didn't. I liked it more than the theatrical version, although it's a marginal upgrade, not a total game changer if you hated it the first time*

My main problem with the film is Lex. Nothing about Lex worked for me, and it didn't in the extended version either. Wonder Woman, however, remains great.

I thought Lex's actions were great; he was truly the mastermind behind everything. But I did not like the PORTRAYAL of Lex by Eisenberg. Luthor is a smart, confident, well-spoken successful businessman with a dark conniving side. This version has him as a smart raving lunatic. I was thinking while he was giving his speech at the philanthropy banquet thing how absolute insane he sounds and it just didn't work.

strafer

nonsense, Lex is almost the best part.

kmfdmpig

I thought Lex's actions were great; he was truly the mastermind behind everything. But I did not like the PORTRAYAL of Lex by Eisenberg. Luthor is a smart, confident, well-spoken successful businessman with a dark conniving side. This version has him as a smart raving lunatic. I was thinking while he was giving his speech at the philanthropy banquet thing how absolute insane he sounds and it just didn't work.

This is what I meant. What he does, how he manipulates Batman and Superman and even his motivation are fine. I'm not sure whether it's Eisenberg or the script that didn't work for me, but the odd ticks, inconsistent awkwardness, and mannerisms of Lex didn't work for me. It's hard to imagine that he would be a successful businessman given his personality and awkwardness, even if he inherited the business from his father.

It seems like a portrayal that people either loved or hated, which was evident in the initial reviews as well.

bryanee

Just got done with the UC. So good. It jumped straight to my 3rd fave comic book movie.

Everything about it is better. The editing and the pace are on another level compared to the theatrical cut so much so for me that even though its longer it didn't feel like it.

The Lois investigation made sense, Superman being blamed for Africa made sense and seeing Clark doing actual reporting was great. There was multiple scenes that I couldn't believe were cut out. Everything is woven together so much better. And because it felt better cut and paced to me things like the
Laptop JL cameos
didn't feel slapped in like they did before. And the UC did a much better job of showing Lex being the absolute cunt that he is.

I look forward to watching both this and MoS the day before Suicide Squad comes out.

Tabby

Just got done with the UC. So good. It jumped straight to my 3rd fave comic book movie.

Everything about it is better. The editing and the pace are on another level compared to the theatrical cut so much so for me that even though its longer it didn't feel like it.

The Lois investigation made sense, Superman being blamed for Africa made sense and seeing Clark doing actual reporting was great. There was multiple scenes that I couldn't believe were cut out. Everything is woven together so much better. And because it felt better cut and paced to me things like the
Laptop JL cameos
didn't feel slapped in like they did before. And the UC did a much better job of showing Lex being the absolute cunt that he is.

I look forward to watching both this and MoS the day before Suicide Squad comes out.

What are your other favourite movies?

I'm just going to leave this here.
tumblr_o9hyr9UVC21uorz8zo5_250.gif

kmfdmpig

Other than Suicide Squad the Wonder Woman movie is what I'm looking forward to the most. Gadot seems perfect for the role, although I know many will never come around to that as they can't get past the slender yet strong nonsense.

bryanee

Comic book movies right because I wasn't talking all time movies.

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman v Superman: Ultimate Cut
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. Dredd
6. Ant-Man
7. Man of Steel
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Deadpool
10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

If I was to include animated DC movies I'd say a bunch of those wouldn't be in there.

J_Viper

Just finished the UE. I really enjoyed it! The new scenes really do add more context to the movie that were sorely missing from the theatrical cut. The editing is just so much better. Even with half an hour of new footage, the UE still flows better than the TC did.

Flaws certainly still remain, like the TOO SOON scene, Lois's bullet investigation still seems extraneous, the Batmobile sequence and subsequent "conversation" between Bats and Supes is still messy, but the rest is certainly an improvement.

I'm not counting on it, but it'd be nice if this release can shake the insane vitriol and hatred that's been following BvS. Love it or hate it, we will never get a comic movie like this ever again. It doesn't deserve to be forgotten due to WB's incompetence.

kmfdmpig

It's funny to think how we were all so curious and intrigued by Jena Malone's character and
it turned out to be so insignificant

Ahasverus

I hate you Ahasverus for making the OT. I don't have the willpower to stay out of it and I hate posting in there
Spread the love. Even former fencers like it now. This was really a blessing. Usual suspects gonna hate though. I bet the ones arguing haven't even seen the UC.

User1608

Banned
Crosspost!
-
Okay, watched it (the UC) and I believe this a pretty solid 8/10 movie. I enjoyed the bleak atmosphere but damn if it doesn't get a bit too much at times.
Holy shit Batman, kill more why don't you.

I enjoyed all the performances (Ben Affleck is good!) and really dug the action, particularly
in the third act and it is so cool to see Wonder Woman hold her own for a bit against Doomsday!

It's indeed too long and bloated though, but again, otherwise a good if very dark film. Absolutely worth the wait! Glad my first exposure to BvS was this version.😃
-
Consider me a fan of the DCEU. I'm definitely watching Suicide Squad. Really hoping the future movies are at least as solid too.

Arrrgh its such bullshit that Cineplex didnt have the special features. Now I have to wait to get my physical version. But I got to see the UC almost a week early though so no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom