• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is pointing out a few specific parts of a movie not working for me being a debbie downer? It's not like I'm making broad generalizations based on minute issues I have or shitting on WB as a production company. I even said everything up to that point was great, that shot of him in the corner just looks friggin goofy as hell.

this right here. you're always nitpicking. you're missing the forest for the trees.

lmao who started this?

CmI2Z7xWAAQO5-Z.jpg

Marvel is always so petty as a company. it's bad form to be on top and making fun of the competition.

Loxley

Yeah, from what I can tell the whole issue more or less rips into comic book movies in general. BVS is as low-hanging of a fruit as they come, but they do make fun of themselves as well.

MisterHero

Also since Snyder made the Watchmen film and the recent DC Rebirth happened, does anyone think that (Rebirth spoiler)
Dr. Manhattan could show up in the DCEU just like he's now showing up in the Rebirth universe?
He'll probably show up as the Giant Blue Hand in a Crisis movie. MAYBE

User1608

Banned
I rewatched BvS and I still really like the film. I have to add that it's certainly pretty moody and cynical, especially on Batman's end.

I really love Superman in this movie, him
continuing to impale himself through Doomsday's bigass spike made me wince and gasp a bit. He'll get better of course! I feel he's definitely going to become the classic Superman well all know and love. Cavill is really underrated.

Martha!! Batman fucking with Luthor at the end is pretty funny too. Christ he's broken as a human lol.
it does get a bit too much, personally and I hope his character does change a bit as much as I enjoyed Affleck's performance, which is really good.

I can't wait for SS.

i never really noticed too many amazing audio cues like in nolan's films (where the music and the scene worked so damn well together).

but the ones that really stick out and had me smirking both times I've seen this was when Bruce was running into the dust and that Beautiful Lie track plays and most importantly the tail end of that scene. He's looking concerned over the girl's parents dying and then all of a sudden he hears a sonic boom and then the JunkieXL batman theme plays as he just immediately looks up at the sky and notices Superman, dude's face is like it will be his life goal to end him haha. Man I think that little moment is up there with some of Batman's best stuff on screen imo. a shame the film set such an amazing precedent for their rivalry and yet Batman does nothing to capitalize on that for 18 months. I'm still miffed about how they chose to forgo him knowing anything at all about Superman. Lex literally fed everything to him when he felt it was time to do so. It's like all the characters had a life in the next 18 months and Bruce went into cryosleep instead.

https://youtu.be/wN9g7RzTHr4?t=9m40s

in the words of the director a lot of y'all like: "it is what it is"

i can understand being mad about these threads if the film flopped due to the massive response from the internet and general public, and if they booted snyder. But he's still making Justice League, with the same cast and same writer.

Who cares if a lot of the OT doesn't like what you like. At least you're getting more.

That last line in that image is clearly a dig at marvel movies, and how they prioritize the continuity and crossover Easter eggs over the overall quality of any given movie

Dcube

Watched the Ultimate Cut last night, man what an improvement. I really enjoyed it this time around. My main issue with the theatrical version was that it didn't flow but all of that seems taken care of and I was able to have much more fun watching because of it. Now that some time has passed and I've watched the proper cut, I thought I'd type out some thoughts.
What I loved:

Clark as a character, I can't believe how much of him was cut. I was able to feel more for him as a character. Really feels like a naive small town boy playing on the world stage and not understanding why it's not as simple as doing what you think is right. Really liked when he calls his mom looking for answers why things are so complicated. Makes me feel more sorry for him when he goes into isolation and remembers his dad. The investigation into Batman is great too, makes the big fight better now that I can see from Clark's point of view why he thinks Batman needs a bit of a pummeling. I felt the contrast between the two characters much better overall.

Batman, although some really seem to hate his character with a passion, I thought was awesome. Love the concept of a brutal, burnt out, womanizing, drinking Wayne. Affleck plays the part so well too. More Alfred was great too as I loved Irons in the role. He really shows that Bruce has gone off the deep end and it's over for him. Bruce's speech at the end how he failed is touching too. It's the only real victory in an otherwise bleak movie where none of the main characters really win.

Lex, I can see how it's a love or hate thing, but I loved him. Eisenberg's little face twitches and mannerisms just make me smile every time. Like the mad scientist angle they went with over the business man we've seen before. Love how the added scenes really show that he was playing both Bruce and Clark from the beginning. In many way's he's just like Bruce, no faith in the world as it is, and hates superman for being a contradiction to everything life taught him. The rooftop scene with Superman in particular is just really awesome.

Lois, who's plotline I thought bogged down the pacing of the theatrical cut is also much improved. The extra scenes with her uncovering Lex's plot I thought really helps both their characters.

The visuals were still fantastic too. Love the look and feel of the cities, some really beautiful shots. The montage of people discussing Superman while he is flying around the world trying to do good is beautiful. Love the shot of Supe's corpse in space too. Costumes still look awesome as hell, the action was great although not enough of it until the end. I'm a sucker for violence too so I appreciated the added blood splatters. Wonder Woman was another totally awesome part. The music was great too, and I also thought the dialogue was well written between all the characters.

What I hated:
The knightmare, including the flash thing at the end still bugged me. The movie is already really long and stuffed with moving parts and it really wasn't necessary and it took me out of following an interesting plot. I wouldn't mind a version where this whole thing is edited out.
The other hero cameos, though not that great, didn't bug me as much since it was pretty quick. I still wouldn't have included them though.
The Martha thing...while it totally works for the story they are telling up to that point, was just executed poorly, I dunno the delivery just feels off.
The Lois hurling the spear thing was still dumb. The whole Doomsday fight was less epic than I thought it would be. Batman doesn't really do anything while Lois just has to be rescued by superman again. Thought it could've worked a lot better but I did like the death of Superman thing, thought it really completed Superman's arc dying for a world that seemingly turned against him.

So in all while not perfect, I'm pretty happy with the Ultimate Cut, it really fixed the movie for me. Upgraded from 'that was a mess' to 'great'. I'm pretty excited to see where they go with these characters in Justice League.

Penguin

Full page for context.

39_19.jpg

EDIT:

And DC NEVER made fun of marvel. That would be just mean.

4046229-retaliators1.jpg

I don't think you know what making fun of is if you think that's what the second image is.

I'm not saying DC hasn't taken pot shots at them, but having analogous characters isn't really making fun of them in the same way.

ReiGun

I don't think you know what making fun of is if you think that's what the second image is.

I'm not saying DC hasn't taken pot shots at them, but having analogous characters isn't really making fun of them in the same way.

Yeah the Retaliators were pretty cool.

Meanwhile, Marvel had Doc Strange murder the fuck out of the last set of Justice League analogues. :p

Ahasverus

I just can't with the OT.

I tried, really, the thread started good, people were discussing, some liked it some didn't, it was rational. Then came the usual haters who really don't like it, Which is fine, but just can't accept somebody else does, so they argue and attack and mock so much that people just get tired and don't want do discuss or voice their opinions anymore, and then the thread descents into a bunch of condescending mocking and finger pointing by that group along with a few ignored, drowning voices scattered in there.

Now I kinda understand Bruce's state of mind in BvS tbh.

I tried, really, the thread started good, people were discussing, some liked it some didn't, it was rational. Then came the usual haters who really don't like it, Which is fine, but just can't accept somebody else does, so they argue and attack and mock so much that people just get tired and don't want do discuss or voice their opinions anymore, and then the thread descents into a bunch of condescending mocking and finger pointing by that group along with a few ignored, drowning voices scattered in there.

Can I get a TL;DR, please?

How many posts before the OT just becomes a Thor 2 thread? It cant last much longer.

Ahasverus

I am still amused that every comic movie thread has a "throw shade at Thor 2" moment as part of its cycle.
I'd rather watch Thor 2 in repeat than a single second of Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't get the hate for Thor 2, it's childish, colorful, fun. Not like the rest of the MCU save for the Captain movies and the first iron man are anything else.

I wonder what is going on with Shazam, I want it out like, right now. The DCEU needs some silliness too.

IconGrist

The UC OT seems fine to me. Yea, it had a weird run there for a bit but could have been way worse. I think the damn near unanimous better reception prevented that thread from getting really bad.

a916

Feel for you... I walked in and went nope. I really enjoyed the UC but man, some people look at you like a conspiracy theorist if you try to support your opinion.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
How much energy does Snyder have, Whedon was just empty after two. Snyder did MoS, BvS, had to deal with the critics on top of that and is setting up the DCEU along with Johns. We saw what he looked like pre-BvS and post-BvS....imagine him after JL.

a916

How much energy does Snyder have, Whedon was just empty after two. Snyder did MoS, BvS, had to deal with the critics on top of that and is setting up the DCEU along with Johns. We saw what he looked like pre-BvS and post-BvS....imagine him after JL.

Clearly Snyder is tougher than Whedon....

I'm not sure what's holding him together... some people can take that crap (Michael Bay) other's can't (Mike Myers)

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure what's holding him together... some people can take that crap (Michael Bay) other's can't (Mike Myers)

The pressure on making the first JL movie, having all these beloved characters, whom people hold dearly to their hearts and aren't as accepting as one would thinkg to new interpretations. The time schedule on top of that.

This is without a doubt his last DC movie, hope he gets a good reception on this one at least. Would be a nice farewell.

Tabby

Whedon was under immense pressure to live up to the hype after Avengers 1 and was forced to add things that the studio demanded be in the movie, things that he didn't want.

Snyder seems to have a lot of freedom regarding what he wants to put in the movie and it's not like he has any hype to live up to.

Snyder's strong, but at the same time he's getting old too. Watchmen and Sucker Punch proved that Snyder is able to handle heavy workload and audience backlash, but that was years ago. I hope that after JL he would still be able to contribute to the DCEU, maybe by directing 1 or 2 more films or just have backstage creative control with Geoff John.

strafer

The pressure on making the first JL movie, having all these beloved characters, whom people hold dearly to their hearts and aren't as accepting as one would thinkg to new interpretations. The time schedule on top of that.

This is without a doubt his last DC movie, hope he gets a good reception on this one at least. Would be a nice farewell.

Whedon was under immense pressure to live up to the hype after Avengers 1 and was forced to add things that the studio demanded be in the movie, things that he didn't want.

Snyder seems to have a lot of freedom regarding what he wants to put in the movie and it's not like he has any hype to live up to.

Snyder's strong, but at the same time he's getting old too. Watchmen and Sucker Punch proved that Snyder is able to handle heavy workload and audience backlash, but that was years ago. I hope that after JL he would still be able to contribute to the DCEU, maybe by directing 1 or 2 more films or just have backstage creative control with Geoff John.

Well Snyder has his wife and son with him when he shoots so he got that going for him.

So he's not getting homesick or whatever happens to directors.

Effect

Well Snyder has his wife and son with him when he shoots so he got that going for him.

So he's not getting homesick or whatever happens to directors.

This. Being able to be with and work with his wife daily has to be a HUGE advantage that not everyone gets. More then likely home is wherever they are.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Tbf Snyder seems in the same boat. Plus this is like the 4th time WB doesn't release his version of the cut. Maybe because he works out a lot and has more energy because of it?

''Probably someone who has a thing for nerds.''

Damn, Perry ain't holding back.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's always the same people, too. It's sad that one can have so much resentment for a movie that, 4 months after it came out you still feel the desperate urge to enter every related thread and repeatedly tell everyone who enjoyed the movie that they're wrong and the movie is bad. It's interesting that many of the people with the highest post count in that thread are also the ones greatly dislike the movie.

When I entered and people were complaining there wasn't enough dust on Bruce's clothes after the building collapses I was like "fuck this, I'm out".

2PnUX78.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom