• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

It would be neat to start the GL movie with the Lantern who tried to save Krypton.

2780382-tomarrekryptoqmudd.jpg

BadAss2961

Gotta say, between Suicide Squad hype and the Ultimate Cut reception, seems like the tide is turning for DC.

Warner should really consider phasing out the theatrical. Like when BvS comes to HBO, it should just be the UC.

Penguin

Gotta say, between Suicide Squad hype and the Ultimate Cut reception, seems like the tide is turning for DC.

Warner should really consider phasing out the theatrical. Like when BvS comes to HBO, it should just be the UC.

Hmm that is an interesting thought

Never thought about the legacy of the film

Like LoTR films tend to be the TC... but guess most can't dedicate 5-6 hours to a movie.

BadAss2961

Hmm that is an interesting thought

Never thought about the legacy of the film

Like LoTR films tend to be the TC... but guess most can't dedicate 5-6 hours to a movie.
Yeah, the legacy's really important. What's repeated on TV is ultimately how a lot of people will remember the film. Some of those LoTR cuts are one thing, but the UC's 3 hour mark isn't too demanding.

Run the Ultimate Cut, save the theatrical for the HBO Family subchannel.

Ahasverus

Is it really? That seems so odd considering it's like a bad stitch job, lol. I can't imagine that tests well.
100% sure. I've watched it twice. I had doubts myself until the bullet scene happened.

It's really well made you can't tell it's a bit stitched together until two or three scenes. It's the best version of the movie so I can't complain.

strafer

Nah, remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJP-kZtxBo

Dude is tired af, he has had enough. JL will get the same reaction as MoS did at best.

I want to see a live-action DBZ movie made by Snyder.

Can you blame him though? The movie he's worked on so hard gets ripped to shreds, that would be enough to send me over the edge and make me stop directing and go into hiding for the rest of my life.

Luckily Snyder is not like me at all, he's a fighter and I admire that.

Bleepey

Actually liked the idea from one of the fake scripts

That Doomsday was just programmed(and believe close to his comic origins) to walk a path of destruction

And Superman was trying to stop him before he reached the masses

Gives the movie/fight a ticking time bomb and a sense of urgency.

On the note of abandoned locale, I was gonna make a thread about this earlier in the year, but hate ranty threads.

I really hate this post-MoS world where everyone has to let you know that things are abandoned or mostly empty when heroes figh

Age of Ultron did it... then did it again with the climax
Civil War did it with the airport
This does it with the island, Metropolis and then the finale district.

Deadpool kind of does it.

Audiences love spectacle but hate consequence.

Bleepey

I feel like most people don't care

It's only become a thing recently... like the folks who super analyzed the runway in Furious 6.

It seems that from MoS people feel the need to criticise it. Hell Avengers escaped a lot of criticism because a team of 7 superpowered people were able to find time here and there to rescue people. This is despite the fact Iron Man shepherded some giant alien space whale inbetween NYC sky scrapers instead of away from people. That said Superman should have rescued people after the fight.

IconGrist

So what's the verdict on this?

"The fight stops because Batman had a mom named Martha."

Missed the point entirely -or- Failure to articulate?

By the way, the quote above is direct from Mark Ellis and no, he was not making a joke. He was talking about why he doesn't think the UC will improve the movie for him. However this is a common complaint about how the titular fight comes to an end so I'd like to hear how you guys feel about it. Specifically the merit of that complaint as it is usually phrased.

The current HBO version of Superman II is the Donner Cut so WB is not a stranger to those decisions.

They could always do a tv cut, a good one.

HBO/Cinemax have this weird tendency to show Extended/Director's Cuts on Cinemax, but theatrical cuts on HBO.

For instance, X-Men Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut aired exclusively on Cinemax. Never showed the theatrical cut. But on HBO, it was always the theatrical cut. Plenty of comedies aired this way as well.

gamz

By the way, the quote above is direct from Mark Ellis and no, he was not making a joke. He was talking about why he doesn't think the UC will improve the movie for him. However this is a common complaint about how the titular fight comes to an end so I'd like to hear how you guys feel about it. Specifically the merit of that complaint as it is usually phrased.

Who the hell is Mark Ellis and why should we care what he thinks?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Some people saw what they were going for with that, and a lot of others did not. Fair game. Loved it personally, never seen anything like it in a cbm before (in b4 yeah cuz is sux) too. It was about Batman going back to the most horrible moment in his life, realizing what he had become and seeing another side to Superman. Someone with feeling, a mother he loves, a girlfriend. And he was about to take that away from him. He probably knew all along, but his rage just consumed him to think rationally.

Bleepey

Missed the point

'Martha' is definitely a trigger. So you could say the fight stops because of that, but as we all know by now, there is way more to it than people are saying 'Oh, you mothers name is Martha ? Mine mothers name was Martha, too. Let's be friends'.

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly I'm beyond tired to discuss the Martha sequence. It's been four months, anyone who still thinks it's simply "lol same name" at this point is beyond saving and truly not worth the time.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Ball has roots as a comedy series and employs a lot of bright colors. Snyder would be a horrible fit.

But any world where Dragon Ball Evolution exists is already the darkest timeline :p

DBZ is pretty dark at times, think it could work. You could do the Future Trunks timeline and make it accessible for the GA as well.

DaveH

The best thing about Doomsday is his origin....they can't do that anymore sadly.
Why not? In the comics Doomsday's origins were retroactive. The film not only doesn't preclude them, they allude to them as "ancient"... so there's a whole story or mythology there for them to reveal if they ever want to.

IconGrist

Why not? In the comics Doomsday's origins were retroactive. The film not only doesn't preclude them, they allude to them as "ancient"... so there's a whole story or mythology there for them to reveal if they ever want to.

This is true. The ship's AI warned about Kryptonian mutation but Lex dismissed it. They could easily fit Doomsday's origin in there. That being the thing that explains why the practice itself was abolished.

a916

The best thing about Doomsday is his origin....they can't do that anymore sadly.

The best thing about Doomsday is that they already shoe horned him in. An indestructible force with no motivations and very little going for him save for brute strength.

I personally liked it. I thought it was actually pretty smart. Instead of doing a cliched stalemate or having a third party coming in and stopping the fight, they actually had a definitive winner and it ties directly to Batmans (beautifully done) origin. The only thing that I might change is have Batman take a bit more time and show his gradual acceptance that he fucked up instead of immediately helping Superman back up after the cut to the choppers and whatnot. I think this is one of the things that the Internet has made worse than it really is unfortunately.

Effect

I can't wait for someone to fully sync up the end of Man of Steel with Bruce's POV of the battle in clear quality now that the film is actually out. I know there were attempts in the past. This one below is actually the most complete I've seen but even it is still missing scenes and the music blending still has issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ficEDs6WmhE

I wonder if Snyder and crew actually put together a cut even if for their own enjoyment to see how it plays.

Penguin

Just finished Man of Steel, I guess because of the exhaustive discussion that followed that movie, always go in with expectations that I may not like it, but tend to enjoy it more and more on rewatches.

Now for the main event as I watch BvS Ultimate Edition.

man I can't fuck with man of steel at all anymore outside of the first half hour. goyer is such a bad writer for dialogue. Michael Shannon especially gave it his all though.

it might be the most sterile comic book movie i've ever seen. good music and villain though. the best thing they did with BvS was ditch the writer. You can tell immediately that it doesn't have Goyer's dialogue.

Ahasverus

Terrio's dialogue is so cool. I know some call it unnatural, but

1- At least it's not robotic
2- It's very dramatic, filled with metaphors and visual images, like out of a 20's novel.

I love it.

J_Viper

man I can't fuck with man of steel at all anymore outside of the first half hour. goyer is such a bad writer for dialogue. Michael Shannon especially gave it his all though.

it might be the most sterile comic book movie i've ever seen. good music and villain though. the best thing they did with BvS was ditch the writer. You can tell immediately that it doesn't have Goyer's dialogue.
I had it on in the background and had to change the channel when the scene on Zod's ship came up

That one sequence of Russell Crowe, where's he leading Lois out the ship, looking like a fucking idiot pointing at shit and making hand gestures was too much to handle. Zod's YouTube video broadcast around the world was so bad too.

It's shit like those scenes that further reinforce the idea that Snyder really can't tell what a bad script looks like.

JHall

The UC really fleshed out the subplots and I enjoyed it for what it was. The one thing that really bothers me is the bat mobile chase scene. Batman is straight up murdering people, which is completely out of character. It bothers me more than the emphasis "Martha" scene.

I still like the movie and am really hopefully for the future of the DC universe!

Penguin

Everyone talks about the Batmobile scene and his kill streak

I just sit here and think it was an unnecessary scene. He already has a tracer on the truck (though should have been on the package, but whatever) Why pursue em in a wreckless car chase?

It feelslike the scene exists because every Batman movie has a vehicle chase in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom