• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
That makes sense. I was wondering why I didn't see that scene in the UC. I've always had it in the back of my mind that Superman has to ignore certain things if he wants to live a decent life so I wouldn't have had a problem with such a scene. He can't be everywhere.

You wouldn't, but I can already see the headlines:

"Zack Snyder Superman ignores cries for help"
"Superman doesn't even bother to help people, even though he hears them."

etc.

Effect

That makes sense. I was wondering why I didn't see that scene in the UC. I've always had it in the back of my mind that Superman has to ignore certain things if he wants to live a decent life so I wouldn't have had a problem with such a scene. He can't be everywhere.

I think pretty much everyone to some degree realizes that has to happen for him to at least go about his day. Seeing it actually done would be to much. Considering how Snyder would have chosen to show it and not blurred it a LOT the way Singer did in Superman Returns.

strafer

LyrAmQC.png

Pachimari

I'm watching the Ultimate Cut now and I still think it's pretty damn good. I'm halfway through but is really enjoying it. I still don't understand Lois Lanes subplot with the bullet investigation. I know it might be made of kryptonian but what that has to do with the kryptonian stone found in the ocean I have no idea of. Maybe it's implied Lex Luthor were behind the attack in the desert?

Penguin

I'm watching the Ultimate Cut now and I still think it's pretty damn good. I'm halfway through but is really enjoying it. I still don't understand Lois Lanes subplot with the bullet investigation. I know it might be made of kryptonian but what that has to do with the kryptonian stone found in the ocean I have no idea of. Maybe it's implied Lex Luthor were behind the attack in the desert?

Lex is behind it

His man kills the locals and burn their bodies to make it look like Superman with his heat vision

Ashhong

the bullet is not made of kryptonite. The point of her investigation is to basically find out that Lex is behind everything. From the Africa massacre to the capital bombing. It actually seems necessary in this cut whereas in the TC it feels like a waste of time

User1608

Banned
Wow, the TC is that much of a mess from the comparisons and discussion. There isn't much confusion or pointlessness I feel with the UC.

User1608

Banned
You know, just watch it and join the fun :p Your opinion is well cemented by now.
Gotcha. My apologies, I know I came off as a bit redundant.

Sorry for being a total newbie here, but I've been wondering about
Bruce's dreams, are they actually visions? Because the one where he's in a coat really made me wonder, followed by Flash's appearance. Foreshadowing for JL, yes?

Gotcha. My apologies, I know I came off as a bit redundant.

Sorry for being a total newbie here, but I've been wondering about
Bruce's dreams, are they actually visions? Because the one where he's in a coat really made me wonder, followed by Flash's appearance. Foreshadowing for JL, yes?

Maybe.

Some of them (lifted by the bats, surprise Manbat) are clearly just dreams. The Knightmare though, is kind of a question mark. The assumption is, generally, that it's a vision resulting from time travel somehow? But Flash shows up AFTER. And it's clearly not the actual future, for a variety of reasons, both Doylist and Watsonian. So, personally, I'm inclined to chalk it up to it literally not fitting; it's from the Goyer script, Zack had it sewn in because he thought it was cool, WB signed off 'cause it teases future films.

User1608

Banned
Maybe.

Some of them (lifted by the bats, surprise Manbat) are clearly just dreams. The Knightmare though, is kind of a question mark. The assumption is, generally, that it's a vision resulting from time travel somehow? But Flash shows up AFTER. And it's clearly not the actual future, for a variety of reasons, both Doylist and Watsonian. So, personally, I'm inclined to chalk it up to it literally not fitting; it's from the Goyer script, Zack had it sewn in because he thought it was cool, WB signed off 'cause it teases future films.
Ah, I see. I did like the Flash's appearance and hope we see something come out of it. I enjoyed that sequence quite a bit.

Would love to see those insectoid aliens be the mooks for JL.:p They're certainly pretty creepy, the whole dream was really.

Ah, I see. I did like the Flash's appearance and hope we see something come out of it. I enjoyed that sequence quite a bit.

Would love to see those insectoid aliens be the mooks for JL.:p They're certainly pretty creepy, the whole dream was really.

Oh, those guys are DEFINITELY showing up. That's part of what makes the whole thing so damn strange; those are Parademons, which make them like the third sign of Darkseid in that sequence, and we know he's coming. But Superman going evil is something that I cannot see happening at this juncture, so who even knows.

Ninjimbo

Oh, those guys are DEFINITELY showing up. That's part of what makes the whole thing so damn strange; those are Parademons, which make them like the third sign of Darkseid in that sequence, and we know he's coming. But Superman going evil is something that I cannot see happening at this juncture, so who even knows.
If anything, I hope the inclusion of that scene means the existence of alternate universes which leads to some of those Elseworld stories getting adapted. Guys like Snyder seemed primed for that kind of material.

Tabby

Just rewatched Superman '78. Definitely the worse Superman movie out if all the ones I've watched, as a Superman origin story I much prefer Man of Steel.

1. Man of Steel
2. Superman 2 Richard Donner
3. Superman Returns
4. Superman '78.

• I don't mind that it's dated. People complained about Returns having no action this has 0 as well, Superman's first "appearance" was done better in Returns as well.
  • I'm not a fan of how Pa Kent died and I know this is an unpopular opinion. I prefer how he died in Man of Steel, a man who loved his son so much that he was willing to die to protect him from the world.
  • Superman doesn't even really save anyone until he finds the crystals in the Fortress of Solitude, and even then he only really does it because his Jor-El tells him to. Whereas in Man of Steel he saves people as teenager because it's the right thing to do.
  • I know it was done in the comics but Lois not noticing Clark is Superman is pretty unbelievable. I did like how they played up the fact that she doesn't know how to spell.
  • At least we got a more comic Superman and Jimmy Olsen so that's nice.
  • I feel like people are just blinded by nostalgia goggles.

gross. I think the first half is a fantastic superhero movie. after that it's whatever though.

brilliant soundtrack too. and casting marlon brando as Jor-El sort of set a precedent. You can't have wasteman actors playing the parents of a lot of these heroes because of Brando. Superman/Clark Kent duality was money as well. A lot of good variables in here.

Tabby

gross. I think the first half is a fantastic superhero movie. after that it's whatever though.

brilliant soundtrack too. and casting marlon brando as Jor-El sort of set a precedent. You can't have wasteman actors playing the parents of a lot of these heroes anymore.

The theme was nice but anything other than that is pretty eh. Superman's theme > Man of Steel but I'd take Man of Steel's soundtrack over Superman's anyday.

I also wasn't a fan of Lex, ignoring the real estate stuff, I hated how he kept going on about how he was a criminal.
My understanding of Lex was that he saw himself as a hero and that Superman was an obstacle with crime being a necessary evil in wiping him out; he has a big ego and because he sees himself as a hero he wants to be president. Not this "I'm Lex Luthor! The greatest criminal mind of our time!"

Dead

well not really...yet
BvS made me appreciate MoS more in retrospect especially due to how the film really at its core comes down to the struggle that Jonathan Kent knew would await Clark from his appearances in MoS, heck, by the end of BvS, it's kind of a validation for both Jor-El's and Pa Kent's hopes and expectations for their son, as well as a validation for the characterization in MoS.

I'm waiting on the 4K version out in a few weeks to rewatch it, but I've always liked it, and I think I think I'll like it even more now.

the ideas in Man of Steel are emboldened by BvS for sure. But going back to it after this I'd probably dislike it more now. The rewatch before I saw this in theaters really did not look so hot to me. This, even in its theatrical cut, felt like a much more naturally flowing movie. Aside from Lex (at times) everybody spoke pretty normally, no weird emotionless dialogue in sight.

Great casting for the parents and Zod though. And the oil tanker scene is fantastic, especially with those triumphant Zimmer horns blaring haha. It's an unpopular opinion but honestly I have not disliked on DC villain yet so far from Begins onwards to BvS. I even fuck with Talia aside from that wack death scene.

It helps that Michael Shannon is probably my favorite American actor right now but even putting aside that bias he absolutely commits to the single-minded villain role. You could compare him to Ronan from Guardians of the Galaxy I guess, but with Shannon he gives it his all like he doesn't care that he's reading from a kinda silly script.

Dead

well not really...yet
Terrio is definitely a step up in dialogue compared to the Nolan/Goyer combo for sure

And yeah, Shannon plays Zod with the conviction of a fucking killer. Dude nails it

I wish that they would do an "Ultimate Cut" of Man of Steel, and re-edit back in more of the navel-gazing scenery moments, and edit out a few of the goyer-isms.

Terrio is definitely a step up in dialogue compared to the Nolan/Goyer combo for sure

And yeah, Shannon plays Zod with the conviction of a fucking killer. Dude nails it

I wish that they would do an "Ultimate Cut" of Man of Steel, and re-edit back in more of the navel-gazing scenery moments, and edit out a few of the goyer-isms.

breh I still go back to that Krypton council scene once in a while. "Jor-El was right, you're a pack of fools" lmao.

Dead

well not really...yet
"I will harvest the codex from your son's corpse, and I will rebuild Krypton atop his BONES."

Fuck...lol, again, dude sells that like a champ.

User1608

Banned
Yeah, I've read about the comments about making JL lighter, so dark Superman is probably gone. It would have been an interesting idea to travel, but honestly, it may be for the best.

Tabby

Some of the scenes that in the MoS novel were great they should have been in the movie, throw in some Zack Snyder commentary and I'll be in there day fuckin' one.

Dead

well not really...yet
It could still be kept as a plotpoint

Knightmare could have been due to Batman failing to save Lois, which led to Superman easily getting controlled by Darkseid in his weakest moment.

We'll see how they play it, but I don't see them just ignoring the Knightmare, there will definitely be a situtation IMO where Superman overcomes Darkseid in order to save the day which we can point to as the moment where that Knightmare timeline does not happen anymore.

knightmare sequence should have been the way to introduce the other metahumans imo. plus it would have been really interesting to see a post-apocalyptic wonder woman and aquaman costume god damn.

Dead

well not really...yet
Post credits stinger should have been a scene in the Knightmare with WW, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg, where Flash decides he will go back in time to warn Bruce

Cut out the e-mail scene

So much better.

Have no doubt the decision to show the JL heroes came late in shooting by higher ups, making it impossible to organically weave it in the movie, which is why we got what we did.

Post credits stinger should have been a scene in the Knightmare with WW, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg, where Flash decides he will go back in time to warn Bruce

Cut out the e-mail scene

So much better.

A Terminator-style homage like the DOFP future, fuck man that would have been dope.

J_Viper

I remember reading on /tv (insert grain of salt here) that JL was supposed to open with a Knightmare scene showing Flash signaling Bruce in the BvS timeline while the rest of the Resistance fight off Parademons, but it was cut out of the script.

Probably not true, but that would have been neat.

Isn't Steppenwolf's plan to find the Mother Boxers and use them to resurrect Superman as Darkseid's herald? Maybe I just dreamt that up.

Vyer

The theme was nice but anything other than that is pretty eh. Superman's theme > Man of Steel but I'd take Man of Steel's soundtrack over Superman's anyday.

I also wasn't a fan of Lex, ignoring the real estate stuff, I hated how he kept going on about how he was a criminal.
My understanding of Lex was that he saw himself as a hero and that Superman was an obstacle with crime being a necessary evil in wiping him out; he has a big ego and because he sees himself as a hero he wants to be president. Not this "I'm Lex Luthor! The greatest criminal mind of our time!"

Where did you get that understanding of Lex from?

The Knightmare scene is 100% the future. Speed Force explains it.

If I had to guess... Bruce doesnt protect Lois from Steppenwolf, Superman is revived in this timeline like how he will in Justice League, but he joins Steppenwolf's forces instead of fucking him up like he will in Justice League.

The Knightmare scene is 100% the future. Speed Force explains it.

If I had to guess... Bruce doesnt protect Lois from Steppenwolf, Superman is revived in this timeline like how he will in Justice League, but he joins Steppenwolf's forces instead of fucking him up like he will in Justice League.

And everyone is pissed we still haven't gotten classic Superman for the third movie in a row.

Edit: misread, thought you meant him joining Steppenwolf was going to be the reality. My b.

IconGrist

I think it had to be more than Lois. Lois would be a huge factor, no doubt, but I have a hard time believing he would just straight up become a sadistic murderer for that reason alone. I'd think he'd more inclined to find solace with Martha since her "world" is also gone. There'd have to be something else.

I think it had to be more than Lois. Lois would be a huge factor, no doubt, but I have a hard time believing he would just straight up become a sadistic murderer for that reason alone. I'd think he'd more inclined to find solace with Martha since her "world" is also gone. There'd have to be something else.

For all we know, the whole thing will be scrapped and shooed away by saying "History changed, so the outcome changed too". The fact that Snyder was the only one really pushing for it makes me think he really didn't have an endgame in mind.

Ahasverus

Production threads are lame. General threads it's where it's at. The worst is that DCEU filming time is very secretive (we never saw a single villain shot of WW for example, and JL is about to wrap) so all there is to discuss are bad rumors. Meh. We stay here.

What annoys me about the bullet plot isn't even so much that so much was cut for TC, although that is terrible. It's that I'm not sure why they needed to make it a unique military prototype superbullet, but then not explain what was special about it. In terms of a frame job, it seems just sloppy to deploy high tech prototypes there unless you're also doing it for a reason. Nothing they did required special bullets, nor do we even know what was special about them in the first place.

Ahasverus

What annoys me about the bullet plot isn't even so much that so much was cut for TC, although that is terrible. It's that I'm not sure why they needed to make it a unique military prototype superbullet, but then not explain what was special about it. In terms of a frame job, it seems just sloppy to deploy high tech prototypes there unless you're also doing it for a reason. Nothing they did required special bullets, nor do we even know what was special about them in the first place.
The bullet was an accident. It was never meant to be found. Luthor gave the bullets (and guns we suppose) to the rebels and they were from his own material because that way they were untraceable to any other purchase. Of course he didn't count on the government having that data.

The Superman framing was less "Superman did this" and more "whenever Superman appears bad things happen" and of course, as said by Lex, demonstrating he was either not all powerful or not all good. It's the same intention of the senate bombing. Of course Superman didn't explode the bomb, but people doubted of his innocence or were mad because he didn't find the bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom