• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are pussies. Just like Superman.

love you <3

You know.. there are actually some parallels between DCEU-GAF and Superman. Both are unsure of themselves because of the public perception.

However, I'm Team Batman so I say fuck it and go make the thread.

I guess this poster/reviewer loved BvS.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You know.. there are actually some parallels between DCEU-GAF and Superman. Both are unsure of themselves because of the public perception.

However, I'm Team Batman so I say fuck it and go make the thread.

LedgerJokerSeegif.

Team Bats knows what's up.

I just want to not avoid an OT thread for once ):

You are forever doomed! In here our light shines, never go into the shadowy place. It is not safe there, Tabby.

IconGrist

INST is constantly trying to rile me up with these Superman jabs. But your day will come soon enough, my friend. When Batman and the League are overwhelmed and Superman returns and shows those jobbers how it's done.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
INST is constantly trying to rile me up with these Superman jabs. But your day will come soon enough, my friend. When Batman and the League are overwhelmed and Superman returns and shows those jobbers how it's done.

Superman is the Yamcha of this universe.
too far?

At least he has the GOAT theme thanks to Lord Zimmer. So you guys got that going for him. And Cavill is hot as fuck.

Ninjimbo

So are we going to do some "predict the RT rating" on Suicide Squad or is it too soon?

I think I've already settled on a number.

Is it a number between 1 and 10?

I think...if Katana & Friends reviews well it'll get in the 70s, maybe low 80s.

The most well reviewed DCEU movies will be the ones that feel the least beholden to the rest of them. I feel it'll make decent money too but not quite GoTG, but in the 600s - although for a "new IP" that's still amazing i think.

All the Hot Topic stuff flies over my head because - maybe i'm just ignorant - but as a non american i have to google half the references people make...so I've got no idea what they are on about.

I think Leto's Joker will be a point of contention for a lot of people. Some think he's all "style" no substance and maybe some will think he's Edgelord - which is how I interpret the character in that the whole point is you might not take him seriously because of the way he looks but his theatricality and that bit where he's all "I just wanna hurt you...really, really badly..." makes me think of Morrison's Joker/Thin White Duke of Death.

Tbh as much as I find most movies overlong now I'll be impressed if Ayer manages to make the core members of the Squad feel reasonably well rounded and fleshed out in the... 2hr 10min run time?

Ninjimbo

Damn, I wasn't expecting all these numbers so fast.

RT: 63%
OW: 103,000,000
WW: 613,000,000

So I think the movie will end up fresh critically and the opening weekend is going to be huge because young people hype is the real deal.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
My spirit is broken after BvS, humanity has failed to see the genius of Snyder. And I won't be getting epics like this anymore.

RT: 56%
OW: 120 million
WW total: 630 million

Things people will bitch about:

Why is Will Smith playing Will Smith, why is he not wearing his mask.

Not my Joker. Not my Harley. Omg the abuse blablabla.

Edgy/too dark, no fun.

Huh. Just went and looked around for long range predictions for the box office and Box Office Pro has Suicide Squad at 98M opening weekend. I'll probably change my predictions when the official numbers start to drop tomorrow. I figured it'd be in the 70-80M range.

IconGrist

I won't predict numbers because I'm awful at it but I am curious how well Harley and Joker will be received if their relationship gets anywhere close to the abuse levels it has generally been depicted as.

Boke1879

Huh. Just went and looked around for long range predictions for the box office and Box Office Pro has Suicide Squad at 98M opening weekend. I'll probably change my predictions when the official numbers start to drop tomorrow. I figured it'd be in the 70-80M range.

How can they predict numbers? Tickets haven't gone on sale right? That said 98M is very good for this type of film if it reaches that. Reviews will play a big part I think.

guek

Banned
How can they predict numbers? Tickets haven't gone on sale right? That said 98M is very good for this type of film if it reaches that. Reviews will play a big part I think.
It's a guess based on nebulous data like social media tracking so I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

My predictions

RT 73%
MC 65
OW Dom $95M
Dom $250M
WW $480M

I don't really have any insight on how tracking works. I just know more "official" numbers start to drop three weeks prior to release.

IconGrist

If you'd of asked me two months ago, I'd have pegged it much higher but this has been an anemic summer at the box office outside of Finding Dory.

I don't follow the numbers much but is there precedent for a movie with such heavy marketing and brand recognition (on the level of Batman and Joker) to not even clear double its domestic take?

I should add - That was well received enough to hit 73% on RT.

Ashhong

So screenings are tonight, but I'm guessing an embargo until sometime later? Hoping for some twitter impressions. Can anybody compile some press twitter impressions for BvS? Or was that the one where there were no press screenings..

guek

Banned
I don't follow the numbers much but is there precedent for a movie with such heavy marketing and brand recognition (on the level of Batman and Joker) to not even clear double its domestic take?

I should add - That was well received enough to hit 73% on RT.
Batman Begins -

$206 Dom
$167 Int

If you'd of asked me two months ago, I'd have pegged it much higher but this has been an anemic summer at the box office outside of Finding Dory.

I think if it reviews well, this could actually be a huge benefit for the film. Outside of the family films, nothing has reviewed well and people are staying away.

Anecdotally, this has been the case with people I know. We all wanted to see X-Men and Independence Day.. until the reviews came in and then everyone said "Eh, I'll wait for the home release." We're all looking for a film, just nothing hit this year in terms of quality.

Bleepey

I think you're overreaching there, lol.

Bookmark it and call bullshit on me. Will Smith + Comic book property + Batman +Guardians style marketing + Bigger social media buzz than Deadpool and Civil War + with PG13. Y'all jokers must think I am crazy but if it gets great reviews it can do crazy. Do you have any idea how many Harleys I have seen on tinder?

tim1138

RT 45%
OW $75MM
WW $560MM

"To try hard/dark/edgy"
"Not muh Joker/Harley"
"Will Smith is Will Smith"
"Overstuffed train wreck"

IconGrist

Bookmark it and call bullshit on me. Will Smith + Comic book property + Batman +Guardians style marketing + Bigger social media buzz than Deadpool and Civil War + with PG13. Y'all jokers must think I am crazy but if it gets great reviews it can do crazy. Do you have any idea how many Harleys I have seen on tinder?

I'm not quite so aggressive, haha. I'd love to see those numbers. I just don't expect them at all.

IconGrist

Any of you remember when I said I always laugh when the trucker in MoS tries to shove Clark? I think I may have found a similar moment for me in BvS. When Lex offers Finch a drink and she declines he says, "no bourbon!?" and it has yet to fail to crack me up.

guek

Banned
Hmm. Fair enough.

Batman is usually not as strong abroad as other comicbook movies. This isn't a Batman movie exactly though, and BvS did well in foreign markets, but I think the lack of brand awareness surrounding the title will hurt it. I'm also not sure ig it'll even release in China but even if it does, that's one of the foreign markets where BvS came in under expectations.

But don't put any stock into my ramblings, I've never been that great with BO predictions despite following the market as a hobby.

I think if it reviews well, this could actually be a huge benefit for the film. Outside of the family films, nothing has reviewed well and people are staying away.

Anecdotally, this has been the case with people I know. We all wanted to see X-Men and Independence Day.. until the reviews came in and then everyone said "Eh, I'll wait for the home release." We're all looking for a film, just nothing hit this year in terms of quality.

It's possible but it'd have to knock it out of the park. Honestly, I'm starting to think Pokemon Go will get in the way of the BO for the rest of the summer. This weekend will give is a better idea on if that'll happen.

SS would have to be phenomenon to hit a billion this summer which takes more than just good reviews. I think GotG numbers are close to the absolute ceiling.

It's possible but it'd have to knock it out of the park. Honestly, I'm starting to think Pokemon Go will get in the way of the BO for the rest of the summer. This weekend will give is a better idea on if that'll happen.

I think Pokemon Go dies in two weeks for most people. I know it's already passing with some of the people I know.

Ninjimbo

I will say one thing, the Joker and Harley are popular as hell among teenagers. I believe they get to determine what's popular, and if they love the fuck out of this movie (and there's a good chance they might), SS could be a wildfire. I don't know if 1 billion is possible because the WW gross is hard to crack, but domestically, SS could have legs.

The one thing I'm not sure about is Batman in this movie. I heard he has a significant part and screen time. If that's true and it's awesome, that will get a lot of traction. Social media will take over on that front.

I thought I would say one thing but I ended up saying several. The hype is real.

I admit to low balling my RT score on SS cuz I want a reverse jinx to happen lol. I tried that with BvS. I predicted 40% on RT secretly hoping it would go 80%.

VanWinkle

I'm going to go with a 52% RT prediction. I pray it will be higher than that. I don't follow box office stuff enough to try and make predictions there.

Oddduck

$100 million domestic opening weekend doesn't seem far fetched. This summer has been really boring for movies.

We're also getting our first Joker since Heath Ledger, our first live-action Harley Quinn, and an appearance from Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom