• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I'm surprised people in here are low balling the RT score.

I think it can get 70% since that doesn't seem too hard for superhero movies and people seem to be reacting to trailers reasonably more positive than BvS.

Of course I thought BvS could at least best Man of Steel but that bombed critically, so obviously I'm bad at predicting.

Oddduck

I'm surprised people in here are low balling the RT score.

I think it can get 70% since that doesn't seem too hard for superhero movies and people seem to be reacting to trailers reasonably more positive than BvS.

Of course I thought BvS could at least best Man of Steel but that bombed critically, so obviously I'm bad at predicting.

David Ayer has a weird history with critics.

Fury - 77% RT (Director, Producer, Screenwriter)
Sabotage - 22% RT (Director)
End of Watch - 85% RT (Producer, Director, Screenwriter)
Street Kings - 36% RT (Director)
Harsh Times - 48% RT (Producer, Director, Screenwriter)
Training Day - 72% RT (Producer, Screenwriter)

His best rated films (Fury, End of Watch) are the ones that he has full creative control over (writing, directing, and producing).

So there's still hope that Suicide Squad can be something special since he wrote that film.

IconGrist

We doing numbers now?

RT: 20%
OW: 20M
WW: 350M

DCU is dad.

Lets-hear-it-for-Dad.gif

We doing numbers now?

RT: 20%
OW: 20M
WW: 350M

DCU is dad.

It's even less impressive when you realize that the M stands for M&Ms. RIP DCEU.

So....no Twitter impressions?
There was one that was very positive, but generally it has been very quiet, I believe. And to be honest, after the positive word of mouth from early screenings followed by the assassination of BvS by the critics, I'm going to just wait until I see the movie before I take anything to heart.

Ashhong

It's even less impressive when you realize that the M stands for M&Ms. RIP DCEU.

There was one that was very positive, but generally it has been very quiet, I believe. And to be honest, after the positive word of mouth from early screenings followed by the assassination of BvS by the critics, I'm going to just wait until I see the movie before I take anything to heart.

But today was the press screening so I expected at least some Twitter hints. Would be nice to see some overwhelmingly positive tweets from the press

So....no Twitter impressions?

Mayimbe said the screening either yesterday or the day before was for long lead press like magazines and such and there will be more screenings in the coming days/weeks for other members of the press. I'm going to assume it will be embargoed anyways.

Ashhong

Mayimbe said the screening either yesterday or the day before was for long lead press like magazines and such and there will be more screenings in the coming days/weeks for other members of the press. I'm going to assume it will be embargoed anyways.

Odd, all other press screenings I at least see people tweeting that they are going to the screening or that they just got out and like a smiley or something. I can't find anything at all. Although my twitter-fu is pretty weak

Odd, all other press screenings I at least see people tweeting that they are going to the screening or that they just got out and like a smiley or something. I can't find anything at all. Although my twitter-fu is pretty weak

I just saw everyone talking about being at the Star Trek Beyond screening from a press standpoint.

Kibbles posted this earlier:

Detailed review...from the guy who probably would have loved it anyway.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemat...oilers_review_from_a_friend_who_saw_suicide//

Highlights
- Leto is oscar worthy for bringing a Hamill esque Joker to life
- Will Smith gives a heartwarming, but menacing performance as Deadshot
-Robbie born to play Harley Quinn
-Style is a cross between The Dark Knight and Guardians of the Galaxy
- Waller great, Boomerang hilarious.
- Not sure its better than BvS as he's only seen it one time.

On another note: after reading all the predictions from you all, I can't help but laugh at how jaded a lot of us are after BvS. DCEU gaf, do you need a hug?

On another note: after reading all the predictions from you all, I can't help but laugh at how jaded a lot of us are after BvS. DCEU gaf, do you need a hug?

I'm feeling blue because nobody got the joke behind my prediction.

In truth I don't know where to begin. By my observations, reactions to SS marketing is largely very excited. Below that there's a bunch of it's alright or it might not suck, followed with a can't be worse than BvS remark. Don't see the hate and skepticism a BvS or Ghostbusters got. Handful use the "trying too hard, too edgy," lines unironically, or gripes about tattoos.

Kibbles

^Good good. I see everyone low balling it but hype is insane. I see people posting about it on FB that never post about CBMs.

84% im feeling it! As long as it's fresh, that'd be nice.

kmfdmpig

David Ayer has a weird history with critics.

Fury - 77% RT (Director, Producer, Screenwriter)
Sabotage - 22% RT (Director)
End of Watch - 85% RT (Producer, Director, Screenwriter)
Street Kings - 36% RT (Director)
Harsh Times - 48% RT (Producer, Director, Screenwriter)
Training Day - 72% RT (Producer, Screenwriter)

His best rated films (Fury, End of Watch) are the ones that he has full creative control over (writing, directing, and producing).

So there's still hope that Suicide Squad can be something special since he wrote that film.

Those reviews seem very low to me. I can't see why Harsh Times would be under 65 or why Training Day would be under 90. I haven't watched Sabotage yet, but have been impressed with Ayer's work otherwise.

Effect

I was thinking around 100 million with a chance of it being lower. I think this will review better simply because there are no built in ideas of what these characters should be outside of Joker. I hate that so many approached Batman v Superman thinking of what it should or was suppose to be instead of allowing it to be it's own thing and being judged on it's own merits. I don't believe it was, especially when it came to the most negative of reviews. There was far to much "not my Batman/Superman/etc". Here's hoping a lot of that is gone with Justice League with people getting that out of their systems.

Those reviews seem very low to me. I can't see why Harsh Times would be under 65 or why Training Day would be under 90. I haven't watched Sabotage yet, but have been impressed with Ayer's work otherwise.

Training Day being that low is pretty amazing. As soon as it came out everyone hailed it as one of the best crime movies in decades. I can only imagine there are a lot more fan reviewers out now.

EDIT: With that tracking there has to be a 20% chance that Suicide Squad grosses more than BvS in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom