• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
GAL GADOT SAYS "ONLY A WOMAN" COULD DIRECT "WONDER WOMAN"

Over the past two decades, such directors as Ivan Reitman and Joss Whedon have been attached to the long-long brewing "Wonder Woman" film. But for the current version -- the one arriving in 2017 from Warner Bros. -- star Gal Gadot says it was critical to have a woman behind the camera.

'It’s a story about a girl becoming a woman," the actress told Entertainment Weekly. "I think only a woman, who has been a girl, can be able to tell the story in the right way."

Gadot praised director Patty Jenkins ("Monster"), who boarded the project last year, following the departure of Michelle MacLaren.

"All my life I’ve been working with male directors which I’ve really enjoyed," she said. "And I’m lucky in that I’ve worked with men who have a lot of respect for women. But working with a woman is a different experience. It feels like the communication is different. We talk about emotions. With Patty, it’s a thing now, we communicate with our eyes. She doesn’t need to say a thing. If I’m hurt, she feels the pain. It’s a whole different connection that I have with her. She’s also brilliant, she’s bright, she’s fierce, she’s sharp. She knows exactly what she wants 'Wonder Woman' to be."

---

All I can remember from browsing Whedon's Wonder Woman script was a weird scene between a naked Diana and Steve.

"Good."

tumblr_mgyghvTomv1qiz3j8o1_r1_500.gif
If we ever get a scene in a future film where Waller calls Batman "rich boy".

giphy.gif

Apparently there is some social media smear campaign going with Wonder Woman? The fuck? I thought this would end with BvS

https://m.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4tda41/antidceu_social_media_campaign_proof_different/
I have a genuine question for everyone. Is the 'Gal is too skinny' criticism justified or not? It seems to be the biggest thing thrown against her, with a lot of people saying DC just want a hot Wonder Woman and not a more accurate one who should be more built because she's an Amazon. Maybe there is some truth to it but it bothers me the more I see it, especially with Gal making an effort to put muscle on.

I have a genuine question for everyone. Is the 'Gal is too skinny' criticism justified or not? It seems to be the biggest thing thrown against her, with a lot of people saying DC just want a hot Wonder Woman and not a more accurate one who should be more built because she's an Amazon. Maybe there is some truth to it but it bothers me the more I see it, especially with Gal making an effort to put muscle on.

I think Gal is pretty wack but I don't really have a problem with her build honestly. I would have definitely preferred a more athletic look like Emily Blunt in edge of tomorrow or better, but eh Gadot's look isn't really an issue.

strafer

I think Gal is pretty wack but I don't really have a problem with her build honestly. I would have definitely preferred a more athletic look like Emily Blunt in edge of tomorrow or better, but eh Gadot's look isn't really an issue.

But she's doing Marvels Wonder Woman right?

bryanee

No its not justified. Wonder Woman as a character has appeared in all shapes and size's since her creation so to suggest that the character must adhere to a particular image is bullshit.

Also Gal isn't at all skinny now. She has bulked up a decent amount for the role and looks fantastic.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Nerds on the internet hate something, more at 11. Yawn, it's just so boring.

I think what mostly bothers me is half the people who say it give me a vibe that they don't really mean or care about it, they just want something else to hate about the DCEU.

I guess it's the Amazon part that makes people want her to be played by someone with muscle, because you don't see people complaining that Black Widow's played by the rather slim Scarlett Johansson. Hell a lot of people clamored for Jaimie Alexander and her as Asgardian Warrior Sif didn't really look that toned to me.

And I agree with bryanee. Wonder Woman's appearance tends to range. The usual look she gets seems to be athletic, but not overly toned. I personally don't mind the way Gal looks and I appreciate the fact she's made an effort to bulk up and is still doing so.

I didn't read it but from what you all say it's about Gal's weight? I kind of understood the reservation when she was cast, even if it was silly to think she couldn't add mass. But she's looked good going on two years now.

I didn't read it but from what you all say it's about Gal's weight? I kind of understood the reservation when she was cast, even if it was silly to think she couldn't add mass. But she's looked good going on two years now.
Combo of her weight and the fact that the costume makes her look like an above average cosplayer. The issue is the fact that it seems to be some copypasta being spammed everywhere.

Dead

well not really...yet
There is a decent amount of anti-semitism involved in a lot of the hate she gets as well, worth pointing out.

Ahasverus

Those arms <3 She looks far healthier now, like, a lot, she looked pale and ill in that first photo.
There is a decent amount of anti-semitism involved in a lot of the hate she gets as well, worth pointing out.
tbf her comments on Palestine were very unfortunate. Understandable given her background, but kinda wack, so in that sense she could embody the idea of being one of the "evil jews" to some people.

IconGrist

Affleck said the Bat suit cost roughly $100,000 so I would peg Gal's suit to be around that ballpark if not more. Cosplayer my ass.

Excuse me?
It's what the link says, the copypasta complains about her being skinny and how the costume apparently sucks. "She looks like a very nice cosplayer".

I don't mean that's my opinion, I'm just telling what was said in the link since the guy asked as he didn't read it. I love the costume. Sorry if I worded it badly and made you guys think I think it sucks. My bad.

That reminds me, from the set visits it sounds as if Barry Allen is Jewish in Justice League. Doubt it'll be a factor in anything, but he might be the second Jewish superhero in these films...other being Magneto.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's what the link says, the copypasta complains about her being skinny and how the costume apparently sucks. "She looks like a very nice cosplayer".

I don't mean that's my opinion, I'm just telling what was said in the link since the guy asked as he didn't read it. I love the costume. Sorry if I worded it badly and made you guys think I think it sucks. My bad.

Nah, I got it. These fuckers just can't read.

Shame on all of you!

I think Gal looks just right as Wonder Woman in these new photos. You could argue she's a bit skinny in Batman v Superman, but she looks great in Wonder Woman. Also, anti-Semitic hate campaigns? Are you shitting me?

anaron

I think Gal looks just right as Wonder Woman in these new photos. You could argue she's a bit skinny in Batman v Superman, but she looks great in Wonder Woman. Also, anti-Semitic hate campaigns? Are you shitting me?
I'm not sure if it can be described as being strictly anti-Semitic but there's a lot of "ZIONIST BITCH" that seems to skirt around it.

Tabby

The promotion for this movie has been on god damn point. Whoever is doing it should be doing it for every single DCEU movie.

Apparently there is some social media smear campaign going with Wonder Woman? The fuck? I thought this would end with BvS

https://m.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4tda41/antidceu_social_media_campaign_proof_different/

I'm not even surprised anymore, I'm used to this shit. Some people are just really sad.

Loxley

I've always thought Gadot has looked great as Wonder Woman and the complaints regarding her physique have always felt shallow to me. I'm sure she worked her ass off to gain as much muscle as she did in the time she had before filming on BVS/WW began. With male superheroes, folks are pretty easy to please - just make'em buff. But with female superheroes, because they're often drawn with even more inhuman proportions than male characters, it warps people's idea of what is even physically feasible for the average actress to achieve when translating a particular character to live-action at all, much less before the cameras start rolling.

Like, would I love to see a Wonder Woman like this in live action?:

Sure, but in order to get a physique even close to that, you'd have to have an actress who was also essentially a female strongman competitor. Like, that's not a body than Jane Actress just gets in four-to-six months' time before filming starts.

Male actors also have something of a leg-up on their female counterparts when it comes to these superhero roles. Hollywood practically demands that every remotely attractive male actor have ripped abs/pecs/biceps these days regardless of what role they're playing, so when they get a big superhero part, their routine doesn't change all that much. Whereas with female actors they're not asked to be muscular, just thin and pretty. So when that rare opportunity to play a superhero comes along, they usually have to start adding mass to their bodies when they previously were trying to do the exact opposite. It doesn't help that, on top of Hollywood, they also have vocal internet nerds constantly screaming at them on social media WHY AREN'T U MORE MUSCULAR THEY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN GINA CARNANO WTF!!!

And this just brings us around to the ridiculous double-standards that exist in the entertainment world (movies and comic books in particular) between men and women and what we expect our stars to look like.

GeeTeeCee

I've long been rooting for a Court of Owls adaptation, but I'd throw that idea under the bus in a heartbeat if it meant I could get an Arkham Asylum film instead. Comic or game version, either one suits me fine.

Loxley

Live action version please.

Batman-Arkham%20Asylum-Cover.jpg

dat scarecrow scene would be amazing

I've long been rooting for a Court of Owls adaptation, but I'd throw that idea under the bus in a heartbeat if it meant I could get an Arkham Asylum film instead. Comic or game version, either one suits me fine.
As long as they leave out the stupid Titan serum plot from the game and made it a little more in-line with A Serious House on Serious Earth, I'd be all for it.

Ashhong

My issue with Gal is her accent. I know the character is not American, but after watching Justice League cartoon for the past few months I can't accept Gal's accent. I love Wondies voice in that show. Perfect, and fit the character that was portrayed.

My issue with Gal is her accent. I know the character is not American, but after watching Justice League cartoon for the past few months I can't accept Gal's accent. I love Wondies voice in that show. Perfect, and fit the character that was portrayed.
I like the accent.

The thing I wonder though is what is gonna happen for the rest of the characters. Is Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright gonna bust out something similar?

I like the accent.

The thing I wonder though is what is gonna happen for the rest of the characters. Is Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright gonna bust out something similar?

Honestly, just forget the accents IMO. Only the most hardcore will really notice and care. I think the bigger risk is doing bad accents than everyone having different accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom