• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

There's no correlation between good and enjoyable. That movie, I have no doubt is well made... but it looks about as interesting as paint drying.

Well it depends on how interesting you think the subject matter is. Religious persecution and the failure of Christianity having its hold in Japan was hella interesting imo

Plus I think a great filmmaker can make practically anything compelling. Hell, paterson was so good and it was just about a bus driver poet haha.

J_Viper

Did you check the Godsmack cover out? My friend said it sounded like that but I never went to verify.

As someone who has listened to I Stand Alone maybe a thousand times in seventh grade, I can confirm the song in the trailer was not the Godsmack cover.

it's prolly created by the people who make trailer music

Oh, that's cool. I loved their last album.

Did you check the Godsmack cover out? My friend said it sounded like that but I never went to verify.

Yeah, it comes pretty close, but the voice and pacing still seems different. Oh well.

After watching half of the JL trailer so many times for the song, I really want the movie to be good.

Gary Clark Jr and Junkie XL..unavailable.
So there is hope for a release down the line. Thank you!

As someone who has listened to I Stand Alone maybe a thousand times in seventh grade, I can confirm the song in the trailer was not the Godsmack cover.

It's the reason I didn't go check it out lol. However, the crazy stuff he says sometimes turns out to be true.

Penguin

That sweet sweet 4Chan rumors

I think this may actually be true about Batman movie

The villains are Mister Freeze, Poison Ivy, and Bane.
Mister Freeze's origin is taken directly from the animated series, but we only see it through flashbacks.
Bane is Poison Ivy's lover. Ivy has a "kiss of death", where she poisons whom ever kisses her with her venomous lips.
A feud arises between Batman & Robin over who Ivy loves more. Ultimately, Ivy chooses Robin and lures him into her lair using a robin signal. She seduces him and kisses him, but rubber lips are immune to her charms.
Batgirl, Barbara Wilson in this movie, appears and becomes Robin's love interest. She is Alfred's niece in this version. Alfred takes her measurements and develops a skintight suit for her to wear in the third act when Batman is ensnared in Poison Ivy's vines.
The three heroes get new suits in time for the final battle. They are navy blue and silver. They also get new vehicles. It is currently unknown what function the suits serve.
Ivy pulls the plug on Freeze's wife's cryofreeze chamber, angering him to the point where he decides to freeze Gotham. His plans are thwarted by Batman, Robin, and Batgirl, and upon learning Ivy tricked him, Freeze helps Batman by giving him the cure to Alfred's illness, which is slowly killing him.
A fifth film, tentatively titled "Batman Triumphant" is already in development, with Schumacher slated to return along with George Clooney, Chris O' Donnell, Alicia Silverstone, Michael Gough, and Pat Hingle in their respective roles. Scarecrow is rumored to be the main antagonist.
A Robin spin-off film is also rumored to be in development, along with a "Batman versus Superman" film, which will crossover George Clooney's Batman with Nicolas Cage's Superman, who will make his big debut in 1998's "Superman Lives".

Today is the day! Entire DC slate to be revealed at wonder con! Everyone get hyped!

right?

1zQ5D.gif

Yea, and the Shazam director is there right? Hopefully some kind of news on that

I believe someone around here said he was supposed to be there earlier this week.

I just realized the panel will be happening while I'm out with friends and family for my birthday, so I'll have to catch up when I get a chance. Hopefully, I come back to some new exciting news.

Wasn't that CinemaCon?

No, there is another panel today at Wonder Con. However, after just looking around, the information that floated around a couple weeks ago seemed to get it wrong. It seems like a general Warner Bros/New Line/DC Films panel. I fully expect a similar rundown to Cinema Con now.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Batman (when aren't we?), what do guys think the ages are for the characters in the world?

We know Bruce is around 45 and has been Batman for around 20 years, so that puts his debut at 25 which lines up pretty well with the comics as he returns to Gotham at 24 in Year One.

When does he bring Dick into the fold? How old is Dick? We're getting a Nightwing movie, so we know it's not his Robin suit in the Batcave. I don't remember what his age was when he was first introduced in the comics, but wasn't it like 13? Or was it as young as 10? I think in more modern times, it'd be more acceptable if were around 15 when his parents are killed and trains for a year under Bruce's guide before becoming Robin at 16. So now how old is Bruce? We'd have to guess he's been Batman for at least 2 years (maybe 3) before he witnesses the Grayson's death. I feel 3 is probably a better buffer number. Bruce would be around 28 at this point, then 29 when Robin makes his debut, so they have a good 13 year age gap.

Which brings up the fact that Barbara was always around the same age as Dick, so she has to be 16 at this point too. I could see Dick being Robin for only 3 or 4 years, gives it up for a year or two then debuts as Nightwing after he's out of college. Babs doesn't generally become Batgirl until she's in college, maybe joining Batman and Robin when she's 19 or 20?

Then we have Jason Todd. Bruce takes him in at probably at 16 or 17 and the cycle starts again. Seems like in this universe Jason comes in at a much later stage in Batman's career. I know it was a throw a way line on a title card, but they have Harley being apart of his death. This Harley seems pretty young (26?), so that had to have happened in the past 3 years or so. Which means Jason didn't become Robin until Bruce was in his late 30's or even early 40's.

Bruce comes back to Gotham: Bruce is 24
Bruce becomes Batman: Bruce is 25
Flying Grayson's killed: Bruce is 28, Dick is 15
Robin debuts: Bruce is 29, Dick is 16
Batgirl debuts: Babs is 19, Bruce is 32, Dick is 19
Dick quits being Robin: Bruce is 34, Dick is 21, Babs is 21
Dick decides to become Nightwing: Dick is 23, Bruce is 36, Babs is 23
Barbara is shot by Joker: Babs is 25, Dick is 25, Bruce is 38
Bruce takes in Jason Todd: Bruce is 39, Jason is 17
Joker and Harley kill Jason: Bruce is 41, Jason is 19
Babs rehabs her back: Babs is 29
Superman and Zod fight: Bruce is 43
BvS: Bruce is 45

Jeez, after I write all that out, no wonder Bruce is all jaded and ready to die, haha.

That leaves us with Dick and Babs being around 32 (34 when the movies come out) years old. So they need to cast actors that can fit that roll.

What do you guys think?

Theorry

Any change we get some WW clips from Wondercon?

I just wanna see a full scene. Maybe the ones they showed to media a couple of weeks back?

Ninjimbo

Speaking of Batman (when aren't we?), what do guys think the ages are for the characters in the world?

We know Bruce is around 45 and has been Batman for around 20 years, so that puts his debut at 25 which lines up pretty well with the comics as he returns to Gotham at 24 in Year One.

When does he bring Dick into the fold? How old is Dick? We're getting a Nightwing movie, so we know it's not his Robin suit in the Batcave. I don't remember what his age was when he was first introduced in the comics, but wasn't it like 13? Or was it as young as 10? I think in more modern times, it'd be more acceptable if were around 15 when his parents are killed and trains for a year under Bruce's guide before becoming Robin at 16. So now how old is Bruce? We'd have to guess he's been Batman for at least 2 years (maybe 3) before he witnesses the Grayson's death. I feel 3 is probably a better buffer number. Bruce would be around 28 at this point, then 29 when Robin makes his debut, so they have a good 13 year age gap.

Which brings up the fact that Barbara was always around the same age as Dick, so she has to be 16 at this point too. I could see Dick being Robin for only 3 or 4 years, gives it up for a year or two then debuts as Nightwing after he's out of college. Babs doesn't generally become Batgirl until she's in college, maybe joining Batman and Robin when she's 19 or 20?

Then we have Jason Todd. Bruce takes him in at probably at 16 or 17 and the cycle starts again. Seems like in this universe Jason comes in at a much later stage in Batman's career. I know it was a throw a way line on a title card, but they have Harley being apart of his death. This Harley seems pretty young (26?), so that had to have happened in the past 3 years or so. Which means Jason didn't become Robin until Bruce was in his late 30's or even early 40's.

Bruce comes back to Gotham: Bruce is 24
Bruce becomes Batman: Bruce is 25
Flying Grayson's killed: Bruce is 28, Dick is 15
Robin debuts: Bruce is 29, Dick is 16
Batgirl debuts: Babs is 19, Bruce is 32, Dick is 19
Dick quits being Robin: Bruce is 34, Dick is 21, Babs is 21
Dick decides to become Nightwing: Dick is 23, Bruce is 36, Babs is 23
Barbara is shot by Joker: Babs is 25, Dick is 25, Bruce is 38
Bruce takes in Jason Todd: Bruce is 39, Jason is 17
Joker and Harley kill Jason: Bruce is 41, Jason is 19
Babs rehabs her back: Babs is 29
Superman and Zod fight: Bruce is 43
BvS: Bruce is 45

Jeez, after I write all that out, no wonder Bruce is all jaded and ready to die, haha.

That leaves us with Dick and Babs being around 32 (34 when the movies come out) years old. So they need to cast actors that can fit that roll.

What do you guys think?
Yeah, after all that, you get why Bruce is so messed up in BvS. I've always thought that "How many good guys are left?" line he throws to Alfred is Bruce talking about himself.

Anyways, since I'm unfamiliar with Barbara Gordon, I was thinking any big name actress in her late twenties would do. For some reason I was thinking about Rooney Mara but she's kind of a cold and serious actress. She's perfect if you want to portray someone who's highly intelligent and badass, but I doubt Whedon would want to go in that direction. Someone like Emma Stone could work. She has that spunkiness that could work for Babs and I have no doubt that she can deliver Whedon's dialogue. Mary Elizabeth Winstead would also be interesting. She's tall, charming, and looks like she could kick someone's ass if she bulked up a bit.

For Nightwing, I honestly have no idea. I would like to see an Asian cast in the role for some reason. I don't know how that would go over with people, but I think it would be nice. I've been watching Into the Badlands and Daniel Wu comes to mind. I've liked him as an actor for awhile (New Police Story was awesome!) so someone like that would be cool. But Hollywood is filled with handsome guys who look like and can be Dick Grayson. I don't know if they're willing to go my route.

Whoever gets cast as Grayson is also being cast as the eventual new Batman, so in a lot of ways, you have to start thinking of "Who would WB cast as a 30-35 year old Bruce Wayne/Batman right now?"

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I love Emma Stone, but I really can't see her as Batgirl. She's so tiny and unimposing. She was a great Gwen Stacy and I think she fits those roles much better than action hero. I also think she's too young. I would love to see them cast age appropriate with someone in their early 30's. Don't forget, she needs to be JK Simmons' Gordon daughter and he's 62.

I wish there was a game where you fly as Superman, thats it, just flying all over the world and low orbit.

play the Gravity Rush series and just pray that one day you get a Supergirl skin DLC for her.

Seriously, those madmen finally solved the problem of making a great Superman game. WB Games should take notes...hell they should just make a deal with Sony like Marvel did and make an exclusive Superman game for PS4 just to work with that studio.

Ross61

play the Gravity Rush series and just pray that one day you get a Supergirl skin DLC for her.

Seriously, those madmen finally solved the problem of making a great Superman game. WB Games should take notes...hell they should just make a deal with Sony like Marvel did and make an exclusive Superman game for PS4 just to work with that studio.
Think WB's trying to extend their own empire right now.

They have a great developer on the Middle Earth franchise. But as much as I love the Rocksteady Batman games and also WB Montreals Arkham Origins I think none of these developers have it in them to make something like Gravity Rush.

Unless they just blatantly copy gameplay mechanics and make an effort to set the Superman game in a really charming world like that too. I don't think a gritty Unreal Engine Superman game sounds as interesting.

Gravity Rush though. They made flying around and aerial superhero combat fun as hell. After playing this series now I'd love a Superman game. Whereas before all I could think of was playing that piece of crap Nintendo 64 one.

Pls no Superman game exclusive to PS4, I'm salty enough about the Spider-Man one as it is.

As for what it'd look like... I dunno. Part of me almost thinks a Telltale approach would be best, just because peoples' idea of what it's supposed to mean to be Superman are so wide-ranging and difficult to reconcile with each other that I think reducing the mechanics to simple decision making would probably be the best approach.

Failing that, just make it an action game set on Apokalips or Warworld or something. Somewhere you could handwave him being surrounded by people as strong and tough as he is.

Ninjimbo

Was Gravity Rush 2 really all that good? I played the demo and Kat moved slow and anything in the air felt really sluggish. It's not how I would imagine a Superman game to play like. Sunset Overdrive was the superhero game that felt really good to me. Sony was smart to get Insomniac on Spider-Man. The feeling of traversal in SO is pretty much unparalleled. You'd have to go back all the way to Tony Hawk Pro Skater to find anything that felt like SO.

J_Viper

Whoever gets cast as Grayson is also being cast as the eventual new Batman, so in a lot of ways, you have to start thinking of "Who would WB cast as a 30-35 year old Bruce Wayne/Batman right now?"

Hammer seems like the natural choice if they do go ahead and have Nightwing take over Batman

I think Zac Efron would be great as Nightwing, but there's no way in hell he'd ever be a convincing Batman

Ross61

Chris McKay seems to want to cast Dick as Romanian

Think the panel just ended. I think all they did was show Wonder Woman clips and did a Q&A

Ashhong

What a bust. No talk of The Flash director? Green Lantern announcement? Cyborg release date? WB really dropped the ball here

Ross61

What a bust. No talk of The Flash director? Green Lantern announcement? Cyborg release date? WB really dropped the ball here
They can't talk about a non-existent Flash director. GLC still in writing. And Cyborg still hasn't his April 2020 release date last time I checked.

Top Bottom