• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Justice League better hope there's no fatigue from Thor coming out 2 weeks earlier and potentially doing Guardians business week after week. I wish JL was first on the calendar because all you're gonna hear about is how it's "not" Thor 3 in tone and looks. This is gonna drive me crazy.

Seeing both day 1 regardless.

Ninjimbo

I checked that Thor trailer out. It was looking pretty good and then towards the end I started noticing all the green screen crap and it started looking kinda cheap. It looked like Hemsworth was standing in the middle of nowhere yet there he was in front of a crowd fighting Hulk. WTF!?!

But other than that, I was digging the costumes, the designs of Asgard and the cast they have lined up. I hope it ends up delivering. Jeez, why did that last part end up looking so bad? It looked worse than Civil War.

Thor gets raped in prison would be a sight to behold

baby-the-fuck-you-say.gif

I see this a Marvel thread again..😏

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing I don't like about these comic book movies set in space is that the sets end up looking so fake. The first thing that pops into my head of good grounded set design are the new Star Trek reboots. The bridge and locations feel real and not like plastic sets. Could also just be the way they're shot with the lighting as well. I don't care about CG back grounds and plates (cause you have to do that in order to get the skies and terrain), but the actual sets themselves should not look so cheap. And this isn't just about Thor, it's about all these types of movies set in space or off world.

a916

Why are people poo pooing Wonder Woman opening 80-90M? Last time I checked those are good numbers for her first movie...

Busty

Banned
Justice League better hope there's no fatigue from Thor coming out 2 weeks earlier and potentially doing Guardians business week after week.

Justice League has the Thanksgiving slot all to itself which is prime real estate on the box office calendar. I seriously doubt that Thor's third film is suddenly going to come from nowhere and become some all consuming box office monster, even with Hulk.

I think it looks good, I actually liked Thor 2, but it feels like a 'known quantity' to me.

We'll see.

Why are people poo pooing Wonder Woman opening 80-90M? Last time I checked those are good numbers for her first movie...

It's not even official tracking, it's an estimation from a website.

I didn't even give that quiet weekend, clickbait bollocks the time of day.

Justice League and Thor Ragnarok both look good. Will watch both opening day, two weeks part. Excited enough that I'm willing to type out Ragnarok; putting respect on that title.

That'd be better than I expected, tbh. Early estimates place it in Doctor Strange camp when I was expecting a lower Ant-Man performance. Not expecting it to be a smash opening like Deadpool or Suicide Squad, anything over $100mil.

Pachimari

I liked it better when it was just about drag racing. When they started playing up the heist angle and morphed their characters into action figures, I stopped giving a damn. Those movies are ridiculous and I don't understand why anyone likes them. It's pretty much The Expendables with a hotter looking cast.
1 was great, 2 was shit, 3 was alright. It only got really good with 5 and 6. Bring more of that please. I want F&F10 to start off in space or on the moon.

a916

Justice League and Thor Ragnarok both look good. Will watch both opening day, two weeks part. Excited enough that I'm willing to type out Ragnarok; putting respect on that title.

That'd be better than I expected, tbh. Early estimates place it in Doctor Strange camp when I was expecting a lower Ant-Man performance. Not expecting it to be a smash opening like Deadpool or Suicide Squad, anything over $100mil.

Why are those numbers good for an MCU stand alone but not a new standalone entry to the DCEU that has had a poor critical track record? Seems healthy... no?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Why are those numbers good for an MCU stand alone but not a new standalone entry to the DCEU that has had a poor critical track record? Seems healthy... no?
Because in their eyes Wonder Woman is as recognizable as Batman and Superman so she should automatically pull in 123048349 million dollars opening weekend... And while I agree she's more well known that Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, it's still going to be the first female lead superhero film with a character that hasn't really appeared in mass market media since her TV show in the 70's. If WW opens to 80+ mil that'll be amazing. The movie only cost like 140 to make plus marketing, so they'll be turning a profit week 2 with the world wide take.

Haven't seen what others are saying to sensationalize it. But yeah, it's better than normal. There's a good chance it'd be one of the top ten or fifteen openings of the year.

edit: oh, there's a thread on it? that's silly.

Ashhong

I don't know man. I couldn't help myself but to post in it. How in the world is that a bad number? Ok, let's compare it to fucking BATMAN and SUPERMAN numbers, that makes sense.

Because in their eyes Wonder Woman is as recognizable as Batman and Superman so she should automatically pull in 123048349 million dollars opening weekend... And while I agree she's more well known that Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, it's still going to be the first female lead superhero film with a character that hasn't really appeared in mass market media since her TV show in the 70's. If WW opens to 80+ mil that'll be amazing. The movie only cost like 140 to make plus marketing, so they'll be turning a profit week 2 with the world wide take.

You would have to be a gigantic idiotic to realistically expect WW to make Batman numbers. When will people realize that fanboys =/= general audience?

Ninjimbo

If there's one thing I don't like about these comic book movies set in space is that the sets end up looking so fake. The first thing that pops into my head of good grounded set design are the new Star Trek reboots. The bridge and locations feel real and not like plastic sets. Could also just be the way they're shot with the lighting as well. I don't care about CG back grounds and plates (cause you have to do that in order to get the skies and terrain), but the actual sets themselves should not look so cheap. And this isn't just about Thor, it's about all these types of movies set in space or off world.
The Star Trek movies look really damn good. I thought the last one looked absolutely stellar. It might be due to the directors they have. Lin and Abrams have a lot of experience working with special effects so they know how to deliver on that front.

Corpsepyre

Banned
An $83 million opening for a female-led superhero film is pretty fucking bad, guys. Considering how the previous female superhero films have all crossed $150 million Stateside openings.

Not that I care either way for numbers because I just want a good movie, but are we saying female like some sort of grading curve? Shit comes off a little..off 😕

Effect

Had to post in that thread. The direction that was going in was to stupid not to. Just glad more people ended up questioning why that as a bad number.

Ashhong

Not that I care either way for numbers because I just want a good movie, but are we saying female like some sort of grading curve? Shit comes off a little..off 😕

I mean, a female led movie has lower expectations, number wise. That's just how it is. Same with a black, Asian, or whatever else led movie

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not that I care either way for numbers because I just want a good movie, but are we saying female like some sort of grading curve? Shit comes off a little..off ��

You can't deny history. A Batman film is going to be through the roof in hype, expectations and numbers compared to something like Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Elektra, etc and all. Just how it is, as said above.

$100 or so, but that was mentioned a year back. Maybe its a bit more than that, but I don't see it crossing $150.

Ok yeah, if it's around $100 - $120 that opening number would be great. I see the logic in thinking it should debut higher just because it's WW, but I honestly don't think her level of popularity translates to audiences wanting to see the movie. She is most definitely a recognized name, but I think people don't know much about her outside of the 70s TV show and the lasso and the invisible plane. If this was the first time we were seeing her, there might be some more hype for it, but they kind of blew their load for BvS.

I mean, a female led movie has lower expectations, number wise. That's just how it is. Same with a black, Asian, or whatever else led movie

You can't deny history. A Batman film is going to be through the roof in hype, expectations and numbers compared to something like Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Elektra, etc and all. Just how it is, as said above.

I guess. But Lucy did fine. And this is Wonder Woman, not fucking Elek..LMAO! I can't believe you even mention that crap in here. No one wanted that shit..

I usually get mad at those types of threads but that ones hilarious -- a lot of people showing their ass

Not healthy lol..

Ashhong

I guess. But Lucy did fine. And this is Wonder Woman, not fucking Elek..LMAO! I can't believe you even mention that crap in here. No one wanted that shit..

Not healthy lol..

Lucy is like one out of many though. There is still a huge stigma in Hollywood that female action movies can't sell tickets. Whether that's true or not, I can't comment on. Regardless, 83$million would be better than good for any solo superhero movie, great for DC, and fantastic for Wonder Woman. Fucking Slayven.

Lucy is like one out of many though. There is still a huge stigma in Hollywood that female action movies can't sell tickets. Whether that's true or not, I can't comment on. Regardless, 83$million would be better than good for any solo superhero movie, great for DC, and fantastic for Wonder Woman. Fucking Slayven.

Fury Road was more about Furiosa than Max. I dunno..just doing see things the same I guess. Just me. Again, I'm all annoy the movie being good..no, great. The rest? Whatever. Fanboy noise that I laugh at in threads. As for Slayven, why pay so much attention? He's a good dude. Fuck Cancer. Fuck racist. Fuck trump. We talking about comic book movies..chill out.

Fury Road was more about Furiosa than Max. I dunno..just doing see things the same I guess. Just me. Again, I'm all annoy the movie being good..no, great. The rest? Whatever. Fanboy noise that I laugh at in threads. As for Slayven, why pay so much attention? He's a good dude. Fuck Cancer. Fuck racist. Fuck trump. We talking about comic book movies..chill out.

its like road warrior and beyond thunderdome in that max is basically a passenger to the story. like the man with no name or some shit.

but at the end of the day, his name is the title of the franchise.

its like road warrior and beyond thunderdome in that max is basically a passenger to the story. like the man with no name or some shit.

but at the end of the day, his name is the title of the franchise.

Not saying otherwise. But folks took to her not just fine, but as the lead. I get that we live in a world of limp dick pricks who can't deal with gurlz in a position of power. I just don't like the idea of separating them just because of it. Let it stand on its own. Whatever..guess I'm just naive like that..

J_Viper

I thought those were separate universes. Can they really not have two? I mean, they (CW) got a Superman, right? In Supergirl?
They are, but I recall reading how the Arrow crew had to dispose of their plans to include Harley Quinn at WB's request.

Apparently Boomerang is back too, so I don't think it has anything to do with anything.

True, it's probably nothing.

Though, I highly doubt we'll see Boomerang ever again.

Ashhong

There's a big difference between fuck slayven and fucking slayven, just saying.

That being said, that diabolical mother fucker knows exactly what he's doing!

Someone post a gif to properly display my nerd rage please. That Tina Fey gif isn't cutting it

BadAss2961

There's a big difference between fuck slayven and fucking slayven, just saying.

That being said, that diabolical mother fucker knows exactly what he's doing!

Someone post a gif to properly display my nerd rage please. That Tina Fey gif isn't cutting it
mLD3i7p.gif

Top Bottom