• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

I've never been a DC guy... But I'm intrigued at the whole Lois and Clark thing and the pre-52 Superman taking over... How much is this Pre-52 Superman like the animated series Superman?

tim1138

Have to check to see if my Kindle Fire is still having trouble charging. If it is then Rebirth is the step I need to pick up a new one. I don't like reading things like comics off the computer screen and waiting on the trades is going to be annoying.

Was thinking of picking up a Kindle Fire HD 8. Does anyone have one and use it to read comics? Good fit?

The 10 inch is outside of my purchase budget for this. The original Kindle Fire I got as a gift is a 7 inch screen I think. Which is why I'm going for the 8. Just an inch but figure it might help.

I have a Fire HDX with the 8.9" screen and it works great for comics. I've been reading comics on a Fire since the original 7" one came out four or five years ago.

My list

Supergirl
Hellblazer
Detective Comics
Nightwing
Suicide Squad
Batgirl
Birds of Prey
All Star Batman
Wonder Woman
New Superman
Superman
Blue Beetle
Deathstroke
Harley Quinn
Whatever Johns ends up on

Iffy on

Superwoman
Supersons
Green Lanterns
Aquaman
Flash
Titans
Teen titans
Batman
Green Arrow

But writing it down I think thats going to be too much though. Right now I get..

Swamp Thing
Poison Ivy
Harley Quinn
Supergirl
Legend of Wonder Woman
Titans Hunt
Hellcat
Justice League
Gotham Academy
Jem
Bombshells

Ugh maybe I won't like some of it haha

Mindwipe

Have to check to see if my Kindle Fire is still having trouble charging. If it is then Rebirth is the step I need to pick up a new one. I don't like reading things like comics off the computer screen and waiting on the trades is going to be annoying.

Was thinking of picking up a Kindle Fire HD 8. Does anyone have one and use it to read comics? Good fit?

The 10 inch is outside of my purchase budget for this. The original Kindle Fire I got as a gift is a 7 inch screen I think. Which is why I'm going for the 8. Just an inch but figure it might help.

The HD 8 isn't bad at all for reading comics for a portable tablet. The 10 inch has a crappy screen anyway.

otakukidd

I think there's more to him than that, honestly. The multiple choice history is fun, but it's not the be-all, end-all of the character. Done properly, a structured backstory has the potential to add to him, or at least not diminish him.

That said, I 100% expect the name reveal to be a fakeout. Some base fuckery.
I expect it to be "Name not found".

I'm actually planning to take this a bit slow to start with. I'll likely just start with:

Wonder Woman
Batgirl
Birds of Prey
Supergirl
Batman
Detective
Nightwing

and then I'll wait for feedback on the rest. It's possible I'll add some of the announced books that we have basically no info except creative team for yet once I have at least a premise.

I'm actually planning to take this a bit slow to start with. I'll likely just start with:

Wonder Woman
Batgirl
Birds of Prey
Supergirl
Batman
Detective
Nightwing

and then I'll wait for feedback on the rest. It's possible I'll add some of the announced books that we have basically no info except creative team for yet once I have at least a premise.
This is basically what I am considering at this point. Possibly All Star Batman as well.

Yeah but when Johns said New Gods and LoSH will come in the second wave sorta timeframe for Rebirth....i think it's worth pointing out the announced stuff is not all we're gonna get until something gets cancelled. Also Jim Lee said there will be a major announcement at Emerald City Comic-Con but i don't know if that's major to us or major to them :p

Although the man said Capullo was THE artist he wanted for the New 52 and Liam Sharp was the artist he wanted for Rebirth so may be it's something art related. Or maybe it's my head-dream of a dual creative team for JLA of Johns/Fabok and Hickman/Reis.

in my dreams

Yeah but when Johns said New Gods and LoSH will come in the second wave sorta timeframe for Rebirth....i think it's worth pointing out the announced stuff is not all we're gonna get until something gets cancelled. Also Jim Lee said there will be a major announcement at Emerald City Comic-Con but i don't know if that's major to us or major to them :p

Although the man said Capullo was THE artist he wanted for the New 52 and Liam Sharp was the artist he wanted for Rebirth so may be it's something art related. Or maybe it's my head-dream of a dual creative team for JLA of Johns/Fabok and Hickman/Reis.

in my dreams

Maybe, yeah. Morrison on Legion and Hickman on New Gods would be... damn.

I've never been a DC guy... But I'm intrigued at the whole Lois and Clark thing and the pre-52 Superman taking over... How much is this Pre-52 Superman like the animated series Superman?

Pre-New 52 Superman is pretty much the same as animated, but a lot stronger ofc (won' be taken out by electricity/random stuff) and not as much of a paranoid douche like he was in JL, he's more likely to forgive people.

New 52 Superman is younger (20's), lost both his parents at a young age, moved to metropolis when he was younger, and Jimmy is his friend from smallville. More of his stories were about how he was lonely as an alien and not being able to share his secret with anyone, as well as having to make it on his own. Eventually he and WW hit it off, Lois didn't have much interest in him. He was a bit more cocky in his early career but he learned from it.

in my dreams

I'm guessing we'll get JLA announcement at Emerald City.

Wonder if Johns is on JLA as well and was just being coy when he said he was off Justice League. That'd crush me because I was hoping he'd be on JSA or Shazam, which I'm guessing will be the second wave. It'd be a huge waste to do this big retcon and not have the JSA back.

Put me down for his name being "Dan DiDio." IT'S GONNA BE YUGE!!!

soQE6Kk.jpg

Rucka on Wonder Woman is tempting, love Rucka as a writer and loved his run on Wonder Woman before.
Pre-52 Wally not coming back makes me sad just cause that's probably one of my all time favorite characters.
I wish Connor Hawk would come back but it seems they don't want Oliver to be too old anymore, curse you Arrow TV show.
Hard for me to get back into comics, or more specifically superhero comics after 20 years of hardcore reading and just getting burned out after New 52.
Rucka on WW though...... I might not be able to resist.

jph139

So - slightly off topic - but since I'm trying to get into modern continuity Batman and Superman, I'm not sure what avenue to go down.

Snyder on Batman is the big ticket, obviously, which I'm 100% down for. Should I get the TPBs now, or do we expect an Omnibus at some point (which would probably be my preference)? Would I be set just getting his Batman run in full, or are there other "must read" New 52 stuff? Both for continuity and quality.

Is there any equivalent for Superman? I haven't really heard any praise for his New 52 stuff, so I don't know if there's an equivalent run for him.

I'm sure the Rebirth stuff will be a clean introduction, but I'd like to fill in the blanks when I can.

Didn't Alfred's daughter show up in Batman Eternal? Or was it his niece?

I want to say daughter, yeah. She's also played a part in Superheavy, she's the female half of the mission control team.

So - slightly off topic - but since I'm trying to get into modern continuity Batman and Superman, I'm not sure what avenue to go down.

Snyder on Batman is the big ticket, obviously, which I'm 100% down for. Should I get the TPBs now, or do we expect an Omnibus at some point (which would probably be my preference)? Would I be set just getting his Batman run in full, or are there other "must read" New 52 stuff? Both for continuity and quality.

Is there any equivalent for Superman? I haven't really heard any praise for his New 52 stuff, so I don't know if there's an equivalent run for him.

I'm sure the Rebirth stuff will be a clean introduction, but I'd like to fill in the blanks when I can.

I would definitely expect a Snyder Batman omnibus at some point. Superman, a lot less likely. Check out Morrison's AC run, ditto Johns' Superman. Snyder's Superman Unchained is... alright. He's not as good at Superman as he is Bats.

Kalentan

Pre-New 52 Superman is pretty much the same as animated, but a lot stronger ofc (won' be taken out by electricity/random stuff) and not as much of a paranoid douche like he was in JL, he's more likely to forgive people.

New 52 Superman is younger (20's), lost both his parents at a young age, moved to metropolis when he was younger, and Jimmy is his friend from smallville. More of his stories were about how he was lonely as an alien and not being able to share his secret with anyone, as well as having to make it on his own. Eventually he and WW hit it off, Lois didn't have much interest in him. He was a bit more cocky in his early career but he learned from it.

Hm... I think I may try and catch up on that Lois and Clark series then! Cause I liked Superman from the animated series. :D

Andodalf

Banned

Batman and Robin by Tomasi and Gleason is great! and if there is an omnibus for Snyder it won't be for a while. The last trade will come in September iirc, and around the same time his first 3 trades are being recollected in a box set. Expect 2 more of those by next summer imo, so 3 box sets. The whole court of owls is already in an absolute edition, I'd expect the rest of his run will get that treatment in the next 5 or 6 years. I've got the tpbs and love them!

Pre-ordering a digital comic, LOL.

For the record, if it is Alfred then Batman needs to turn in his damn detective card, BECAUSE HE'S THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

It's nice to have all the comics I want ready to read on my ipad when they come out. I just subscribe to stuff and it's there in my reading list every week with no input from me. Nothing weird about it.

shingi70

Banned
Pre-ordering a digital comic, LOL.

For the record, if it is Alfred then Batman needs to turn in his damn detective card, BECAUSE HE'S THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

It's a bit weird. You don't even get the advantage of auto downloading to your device of choice which is a bummer.

Nudull

Banned
Will Be Reading:
Superman
New Super-Man
Super Sons
Superwoman
Wonder Woman
All-Star Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Birds of Prey
Blue Beetle
Cyborg
Titans
Teen Titans

Curious About:
Green Lanterns
Flash
Batman
Trinity
JLA

I could see Grant Morrison taking Earth 2.
I know he's supposed to be doing more Multiversity stuff, but I think that's it for DC after Wonder Woman next month. He's also taking over as Editor in Chief for Heavy Metal so I wonder if he'll just stick to mini series from now on.

It's nice to have all the comics I want ready to read on my ipad when they come out. I just subscribe to stuff and it's there in my reading list every week with no input from me. Nothing weird about it.

So there is some overlap, but subscriptions and pre-orders are not the same. A subscription automatically purchases the new issue when it releases, and charges you then. Pre-orders are charged instantly, even though you don't receive the book until later. I'm not a fan of either, but subscriptions at least make sense to me.

Half the fun for me is recreating the comic shop experience by hitting up the Comixology site every Wednesday and browsing through all the new releases, but that's just me.

It's a bit weird. You don't even get the advantage of auto downloading to your device of choice which is a bummer.

It's not weird if you have ios and you can't buy comics from the app. And plus since comics are so cheap I just buy them and judge them myself instead of waiting for reviews

Sandfox

So there is some overlap, but subscriptions and pre-orders are not the same. A subscription automatically purchases the new issue when it releases, and charges you then. Pre-orders are charged instantly, even though you don't receive the book until later.

I'm not a fan of either, but subscriptions at least make sense to me.
Pre-orders make sense from the standpoint that these companies want to lock in your money now.

So there is some overlap, but subscriptions and pre-orders are not the same. A subscription automatically purchases the new issue when it releases, and charges you then. Pre-orders are charged instantly, even though you don't receive the book until later. I'm not a fan of either, but subscriptions at least make sense to me.

Half the fun for me is recreating the comic shop experience by hitting up the Comixology site every Wednesday and browsing through all the new releases, but that's just me.

Pre-orders make sense from the standpoint that these companies want to lock in your money now.

You don't get charged until release though.

http://support.comixology.com/customer/portal/articles/888283-how-do-i-pre-order-comics-

"Upon checking out, you will see the note informing you that your payment will not be processed until the release date."

It's not weird if you have ios and you can't buy comics from the app. And plus since comics are so cheap I just buy them and judge them myself instead of waiting for reviews

I do all my reading on iOS. You just open your internet browser and go to their site. It's not super complicated. I think the whole arrangement is silly, but I saw it coming from a mile away when Amazon bought out Comixology. They're not paying that Apple tax.

Comics being cheap is subjective, but I respectfully disagree. If you read as many as I do, the prices add up pretty quickly. I'm not spending money on junk, so pre-ordering or subscribing isn't the best approach for me.

You don't get charged until release though.

"Upon checking out, you will see the note informing you that your payment will not be processed until the release date."

I stand corrected, then. No different from subscribing. I still don't buy the idea of subscribing to a digital item with unlimited availability that can be purchased and accessed immediately.

Ponn

Banned
Am I the only one hoping IF they reveal Joker's true identity he's just a nobody with no climactic connection to Batman. That would be the most fitting case for the Joker and his character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom