• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Damian and Tim fight for to be leader of TT and tim losers
Haha that would be funny. But Tim is the best detective outside of batman so I don't mind him switching books.

Damian really is the true alpha. This makes me want to go back and read the issues where he schools all the other robins.

Dragun619

What, that's Tim? Is that supposed to be the Red Robin suit or is he straight up Robin? Can someone give me update on how he fits in Batman universe now?

Stepped out of the nu52 after Batman Zero Year to focus on other things, So I think i'll jump back in this rebirth, after I collect the Batman issues I missed so far.

TheFlow

Banned
What, that's Tim? Is that supposed to be the Red Robin suit or is he straight up Robin? Can someone give me update on how he fits in Batman universe now?

Stepped out of the nu52 after Batman Zero Year to focus on other things, So I think i'll jump back in this rebirth, after I collect the Batman issues I missed so far.
He is currently still red robin on TT. We won't find out why he switches until rebirth.

Edit: i haven't read eternal yet so I have no idea how that affects him

I'm not totally sure how Tim ends up back in his Robin duds, but he's still apparently Red Robin, going by the double "R" on the chest (check the OP for an image where it's visible). There's maybe a hint at why it might be in Batman & Robin Eternal, but I might just be overthinking a dropped plotline there. Might be something that's only explained/happens during Rebirth.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Batman's new suit looks awesome.

I'm bummed that Snyder and Capullo are off the main title even though I thought their past couple of arcs weren't all that great. Was hoping that after the Gordon run they'd have an arc with Batman fighting a villain and no other DC heroes coming in and ruining the party. I guess that's what All-Star will be minus Capullo.

aly

I'm way more excited for Tec comics with Tim Drake over regular Batman. They have yet to really sell me on Duke Thomas and why he should be hanging around Batman.

I'm way more excited for Tec comics with Tim Drake over regular Batman. They have yet to really sell me on Duke Thomas and why he should be hanging around Batman.

Duke is awesome, yo. You reading We Are Robin?

And King makes the book an instant buy in my book.

aly

Duke is awesome, yo. You reading We Are Robin?

And King makes the book an instant buy in my book.

Yep. I'm just having a difficult time caring about him. He and the others bored me to death.He was okay in Robin war. But there is nothing that makes me desire seeing him in a Robin-esque role with Batman, when actual Robin is right there. Damian's lack of working with his father in the past couple years doesn't help.

Then again King is amazing, so I'll give it a shot anyway.

Dead

well not really...yet
So is this a good time to get into WW now that Rucka is back on it?
Get the new 52 Brian Azarello's run. It's all available in trades and it's one of the best runs on the character ever.

9ox41AW.jpg

You can't see it in that image, but Tim is wearing the Robin costume, but the logo is RR, not R. He's still Red Robin.

xptoxyz

For someone who doesn't follow comics but wants to dip in once in a while, the Batman stuff people are posting, does this mean there will be two different continuities running simultaneously? Detective comics, rolls back to the Tim Drake as Robin era. And regular-ass title "Batman" comics keep going forward with post-52 stuff?

TheFlow

Banned
Ok al worries are gone. Red costume is still the GOAT but it is a worthy sacrifice to have drake teaming up with the fam

For someone who doesn't follow comics but wants to dip in once in a while, the Batman stuff people are posting, does this mean there will be two different continuities running simultaneously? Detective comics, rolls back to the Tim Drake as Robin era. And regular-ass title "Batman" comics keep going forward with post-52 stuff?
I may be wrong, but I don't think anything is rolling back. I think Drake is just going back to being Robin in the present day.

Drake is still Red Robin. No roll back. His costume is now very "Robin", but the continuity looks to be the same. He was never just Robin; because of Todd's death, he went straight to Red Robin instead. He has only been Red Robin in New 52.

TheFlow

Banned
Drake is still Red Robin. No roll back. His costume is now very "Robin", but the continuity looks to be the same. He was never just Robin; because of Todd's death, he went straight to Red Robin instead. He has only been Red Robin in New 52.
Everyone read what this guy is writing to avoid the same questions being asked

xptoxyz

I may be wrong, but I don't think anything is rolling back. I think Drake is just going back to being Robin in the present day.

Thanks for the replies, didn't actual see the second R on the chest logo.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't see the point on a consumer end for bimonthly. Unless it means collections come sooner and the talent can handle that kind of output, it seems unnecessary.

I dunno how these writers are gonna be able to keep up with the schedule (well snyder and king I mean)

Plenty of writers write multiple books simultaneously, 2 in a month is nothing new.

The real sticking point is the artists, but that's why they've got more than one on each title.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You don't see the appeal of getting more of the stuff you like?

Not if it means creators straining themselves further to have to keep up. Comics don't take breaks. They have to maintain this output constantly, or hopefully have off-issue artists. Or hell, the issues may have to take a page hit.

It's a matter of managing their resources.

TheFlow

Banned
Plenty of writers write multiple books simultaneously, 2 in a month is nothing new.

The real sticking point is the artists, but that's why they've got more than one on each title.

Remender and Bendis are great examples.

the artist are going to the ones with the hardest time.

There can be a concern about the quality going down, especially in the case of the art. The Batman weeklies got hit pretty bad with that problem.

All weeklies get hit pretty hard with that, heh. Even 52.

But twice a month? With the right artists, it'd doable, especially with them already having a rotation set up.

MartyStu

Not if it means creators straining themselves further to have to keep up. Comics don't take breaks. They have to maintain this output constantly, or hopefully have off-issue artists. Or hell, the issues may have to take a page hit.

It's a matter of managing their resources.

True.

But from what we have seen, the writers are the ones with the increased workload.

Most(all?) of the Bi-Weekly titles have two artists.

I am not saying that this is definitely going to go well, but I can definitely see why DC thinks it may.

Still think they should limit the books they do this for to 3 - 4.

Right, look at Jeff Lemire. Currently he's writing:

Extraordinary X-Men
Old Man Logan
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Bloodshot Reborn
Descender
An OGN for Scholastic publishing that he's also drawing

Writing one book that comes out bi-weekly and another monthly isn't much compared to that.

Yeah, the way they played the Titans movie has me thinking that they might actually make Starfire team leader, or something close to it.

Plus:

2016-03-30.jpg

Mmm, yes. That's gonna be gud.
I never thought I'd say that my most anticipated book was a Bat book, but here it is.
Probably Joe Chills bastard son.
Huh...I'd buy it.
You can't see it in that image, but Tim is wearing the Robin costume, but the logo is RR, not R. He's still Red Robin.
Honestly if they just take out the green and make it strictly red and black, but keep the same design, it'd be perfect.

KonradLaw

I don't see the point on a consumer end for bimonthly. .
More story. This has always killed a lot of enthusiasm for american comicbooks. 30 pages a month is ridiculously little. Unless you're a hardcore fan keeping up with issues monthly just doesn't make sense for the tiny bit of content you get each month. Better to just wait for trades.

It also heavily affects storytelling. In superhero comics it's hard to find arc that doesn't seem rushed. I think this is one of the reasons why mangas are growing far faster than regular comicbooks these days

Yeah, the way they played the Titans movie has me thinking that they might actually make Starfire team leader, or something close to it.

Plus:

2016-03-30.jpg

Mmm, yes. That's gonna be gud.

Man, everyone looks so badass here!! I'm so excited for this book, especially for Tim to be back in Gotham working with Batman. I hope they explain why he left TT and changed his costume back to a classic Robin costume though. I also want Tim and Steph to get together; I loved them together pre-Flashpoint.

More story. This has always killed a lot of enthusiasm for american comicbooks. 30 pages a month is ridiculously little. Unless you're a hardcore fan keeping up with issues monthly just doesn't make sense for the tiny bit of content you get each month. Better to just wait for trades.

It also heavily affects storytelling. In superhero comics it's hard to find arc that doesn't seem rushed. I think this is one of the reasons why mangas are growing far faster than regular comicbooks these days

It does suck to wait a whole entire month or more for a measly 24 pages. I'm thinking about switching to trades on these Image books that can't hit deadlines to save their lives.

Updated the OP with the June solicits.

Also, if anybody has any kind of image editing skillz, I'd love to be able to use a version of the current header image with the trade dress (banner) they're using on those covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom