• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Also given the choice between subtle as a brick to the face Green Arrow and inferior Batman knockoff Green Arrow I'll take brick to the face Green Arrow every time.

Yea I mean, let's not forget the kinds of characterizations and circumstances that made Green Arrow so popular back in the day in the first place. Those books featured an ultra liberal (for the time) Ollie dealing with issues that just weren't touched in mainstream comics at the time. I have no problem with them being unsubtle while returning him to his roots.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Also given the choice between subtle as a brick to the face Green Arrow and inferior Batman knockoff Green Arrow I'll take brick to the face Green Arrow every time.

Yea I mean, let's not forget the kinds of characterizations and circumstances that made Green Arrow so popular back in the day in the first place. Those books featured an ultra liberal (for the time) Ollie dealing with issues that just weren't touched in mainstream comics at the time. I have no problem with them being unsubtle while returning him to his roots.

Well, it's not an either or proposition. We can have Ollie as the liberal crusader without having him run around going "Muhahaha, it is I, the Social Justice Warrior! Get rekt Trump!" Good writers have him as a guy whose ideals run counter to the status quo. Bad writers make him a caricature, a strawman espousing crappy pastiches of liberal ideals. The book isn't the latter but it's much closer to that then the first.

I don't know what y'all saw in Green Arrow. It was a about as subtle as a brick to the face. The first page has a evil Republican walking away mumbling about liberals. I dunno. I found the terribly cheesy writing to be at drastic odds with the story it was trying to tell. The last panel was cute, I suppose. Passing on this one for the time being.

I think part of it is, Ollie for much of his modern career has been a self righteous fairly douche-y liberal. It's part of his character, and this is from someone who tends to hate political straw men in my media. It's no where near as bad as say turning Red Skull into a literal Trump stand in or similar things that have been happening on the Marvel side of the pond.

I don't like Ollie liberal side as much as him as a street level hero with concerns about people. He is the DC Daredevil, if that makes sense.

That is why I love Grell's run and I don't like him as CEO.

Blader

I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical, if not totally dismissive, of this whole thing going into it. Another DC reset? Helmed by Geoff Johns, a fan-favorite writer that I've never been much of a fan of? So I totally ignored it at first. Then those Watchmen spoilers hit, and I thought on the one hand, how dumb and borderline insulting to Alan Moore...but on the other hand, kind of interesting.

So I read the special...and damn it, it worked on me. Maybe it's because Mark Waid's Flash is one of my favorite comics runs ever (I never really liked Johns' run because he treated as more of a Barry lite, and focused more on the Rogues anyway), but bringing back Wally and making his love for the DC characters and legacies such an instrumental part of the story just really won me over. I liked it.

For about five years, my DC reading has basically just been about Snyder's Batman. I gave New 52 a chance at first, and did dabble in a couple other books for a while (Morrison's Action Comics, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Animal Man and Swamp Thing) but lost interest in them and the greater status quo, so my pull list ended up just being the one Batman title. New 52 ended up being a jumping off point for me. Now I'm jumping back in. Green Arrow was great, I'm going to give Tomasi's Superman and King's Batman a shot, and will probably read through most if not every one of the Rebirth specials down the line to see what else to add to my pull list - Giffen on Blue Beetle again has me especially hyped.

Ross61

I really like Duke's "I don't need you and I don't want your favor" interaction with Bruce. The dynamic between them is something that I look forward to in the upcoming stories.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't like Ollie liberal side as much as him as a street level hero with concerns about people. He is the DC Daredevil, if that makes sense.

That is why I love Grell's run and I don't like him as CEO.

In the book he all but says he's a CEO to pay for the gadgets and gear.

why can't there be more than one rich hero?

batman appeared in comics only two years before green arrow. so it is not like he is rip off.

No, he's absolutely a ripoff, it's part of the character and it always has been. Better to own it and play up the points of contrast like Ollie's liberal firebrand tendencies.

Part of Ollie's problem as a knockoff is that DC owns both and Batman is usually good at so much stuff that what Ollie's better at in terms of skills is shooting things with arrows (if DC is being kind to him at the time that may even extent to projectiles generally). So yeah he really does need distinct character traits as well.

shingi70

Banned
AC-957-4-5a442.jpg

Seems ooc for Luthor to where the El crest.

Viewt

Adopting your greatest enemy's symbol and dictating its legacy as a final "Fuck You" is textbook Lex. If he could piss on Clark's grave on his way to work every day, you know he would.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Man that's awesome and I even purchased Green Arrow and have not' bought a comic in years!

tim1138

Yeah...so there's justice in this world afterall. Green Arrow Rebirth sold over 90K copies in a week :)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-green-arrow-rebirth-1-sells-over-90000-copies

Awesomeness. Well deserved.

We were talking about this a bit over the weekend in the Comics thread. Comics print sales are weird, it's not actually tracking number of copies sold through to consumers, but copies sold from Diamond (the distributor) to shops.

What will be interesting is when the June Diamond sales numbers are released, if GA charts at less than 90k then we'll finally have an idea of digital sales (those numbers are never released). If it comes in at ~90k print, then we still have zero clue about digital numbers, but could probably postulate that print plus digital would put it over 100k, which is bonkers.

Either way that's a huge number and it's a sign tons of people are at least buying the one shots. And if Green Arrow is doing 90k, Batman is going to pull down INSANE numbers.

Ross61

I really like going on twitter and seeing all the artist and writers renewed vigor. I love seeing them be proud about trying to get DC back to being great again. They really can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Also, two images from Aquaman #1:
CkS8gwOVEAAxGz-.jpg:large

CkTEuYLXIAUmIST.jpg:large

aly

Another interview with Tynion about 'Tec with some new preview pages for anyone who's interested:

http://www.newsarama.com/29601-dete...roes-including-new-costume-for-tim-drake.html

The art and coloring in this looks fantastic! The dialogue seems in character as well so that gives me some hope for Tim.

I have high hopes for this and Tim. Hopefully Tynion doesn't drag too much Harper Row into it. Also hoping they don't treat Tim like some lost amateur. He's been around longer than Batwoman for goodness sakes.

TheFlow

Banned
I really like going on twitter and seeing all the artist and writers renewed vigor. I love seeing them be proud about trying to get DC back to being great again. They really can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

so fucking gooood

I have high hopes for this and Tim. Hopefully Tynion doesn't drag too much Harper Row into it. Also hoping they don't treat Tim like some lost amateur. He's been around longer than Batwoman for goodness sakes.

Harper retired, to focus on her studies, at the end of Batman and Robin Eternal. That may or may not stick but it seems DC intends for her to be inactive right now.

ETA - The Bat timeline is kinda messy nu52 do we know if Tim is more experienced than Batwoman now ? The first we saw of him was in Titans and we don't know long he was with Batman training.

I mean pre-Nu52 its DS doubtful that anyone except Oracle could lock Tim out of his systems for long and here Spoilers threatening it. Even given that Spoiler is more skilled this time around that seems to indicate Tim's skills aren't what they were.

Harper retired, to focus on her studies, at the end of Batman and Robin Eternal. That may or may not stick but it seems DC intends for her to be inactive right now.

ETA - The Bat timeline is kinda messy nu52 do we know if Tim is more experienced than Batwoman now ? The first we saw of him was in Titans and we don't know long he was with Batman training.

I mean pre-Nu52 its DS doubtful that anyone except Oracle could lock Tim out of his systems for long and here Spoilers threatening it. Even given that Spoiler is more skilled this time around that seems to indicate Tim's skills aren't what they were.

That was a really weird moment, because even now this Spoiler isn't particularly tech savvy? That's more Harper's area.

That was a really weird moment, because even now this Spoiler isn't particularly tech savvy? That's more Harper's area.

To be fair if Spoiler is supposed to be operating at around the level of a Robin "not particularly skilled relatively" is very skilled indeed by the standard of sane people. I mean Tim was the worst fighter pre-Rebirth which meant he might have needed some help when dealing with multiple really good League of Assassins types. When you stick to the Gotham books its kinda easy to forget that almost everyone is objectively hyperskilled at almost everything and the actual differences are usually large only relatively (when they actually range from world class human expert to borderline superhuman).

Something in Gotham's water produces the Mad and Geniuses and Mad Geniuses.

I believe they explain it that Luthor wants to make his greatest enemy's symbol his own as one final "fuck you" to Superman.
Would be a lot more effective if there weren't five other Superpeople running around. Still, I can dig The Superior Superman and am going to pick up Lex's book when it comes out.

Yeah...so there's justice in this world afterall. Green Arrow Rebirth sold over 90K copies in a week :)
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-green-arrow-rebirth-1-sells-over-90000-copies

Awesomeness. Well deserved.

Dang, I know this is good but compared to how many #1 copies Marvel is able to sell this seems disappointing.

aly

Tynion mentioned she would be showing up on twitter and his issues with her in Eternal was some of the worst. Good point bout the timeline, but I have faith from some comments that rebirth is bringing back some of the good things from pre flashpoint.

Yeah, that Spoiler stuff is strange. If they start shilling Spoiler at the expense of other peoples skills I'm gonna laugh. Is she gonna beat up Cass next?

Tynion mentioned she would be showing up on twitter and his issues with her in Eternal was some of the worst. Good point bout the timeline, but I have faith from some comments that rebirth is bringing back some of the good things from pre flashpoint.

Yeah, that Spoiler stuff is strange. If they start shilling Spoiler at the expense of other peoples skills I'm gonna laugh. Is she gonna beat up Cass next?

It could be intended as a jokey punishment between friends. You talk down to me and I play a mildly irritating prank on you ? Its just that to Bats mildly irritating pranks are usually felonies :p.

Dang, I know this is good but compared to how many #1 copies Marvel is able to sell this seems disappointing.

Most of Marvel's #1s have multiple variants that you have to buy a large number of issues to qualify for. The DC Rebirth issues only have one 50/50 variant so the total is less inflated. For instance, Dr Strange #1 sold 145K copies but the second issue was down to 65K. Green Arrow will also fall a lot but it wouldn't surprise me if the second issue is roughly equal to Strange's.

Nice.

KonradLaw

I hope they won't forget that Azrael is far stronger than just peak human like the rest of Bat family.

This looks great! I can't wait for Aquaman. I just bought Jeff Parker's complete New 52 run to "tide" me over until #1. I'm also thinking about buying issues #41 to #51. What's the general consensus on DCYou Aquaman?

So I thought Green Arrow was kind of a generic super hero comic with some groan-inducing lines about being a social justice warrior (but fine, it carves out a defined lane for him, if 'the hero Tumblr deserves' is it, then so be it, it fits). But Batman was...a decent setup Batman comic. I'm not quite sure why this thread is so high on GA but so down on Bats.

Yea I loved the nightwing series.
I didn't. I thought it was very okay, with only Barrows being the good part. It felt like a step back in Dick's character arc from pre-Flashpoint. On top of that, most of the arcs were just tie-ins to the Court of Owls stuff. The Chicago stuff, which is the stuff that really digs into something unique for Dick, loses Barrows (a big negative) and ends up just being a rehash of Bludhaven. Only it's worse than Bludhaven, which is never even mentioned, in that it feels immensely rushed and any cool storylines they start are either rushed or plain unfinished.

It's not good, but it's not terrible either.

So I thought Green Arrow was kind of a generic super hero comic with some groan-inducing lines about being a social justice warrior (but fine, it carves out a defined lane for him, if 'the hero Tumblr deserves' is it, then so be it, it fits). But Batman was...a decent setup Batman comic. I'm not quite sure why this thread is so high on GA but so down on Bats.

Part of it is that Green Arrows baseline is much lower, Green Arrow gets far fewer and far shorter runs of "good stories"* than Batman so a good Green Arrow story is more relatively impressive than a good Batman story.

The other part is that Green Arrow Rebirth is much better at being a Rebirth issue it establishes a new status quo fairly cleanly, Batman by contrast feels much more like its just a super compressed Batman story (not a bad one but one that could do with like at least 2 more issues) with the status quo changes feeling like they were just thrown in.

* most of Green Arrows "defining" stuff is in the 70s and 80s.Then he spent a fair chunk of the 90s dead. And the post - 2000s resurrection weren't kind to him (Identity Crisis, the Black Canary/Green Arrow Wedding, Cry for Justice, and Fall of Green Arrow range from meh to terrible).

KonradLaw

I didn't. I thought it was very okay, with only Barrows being the good part. It felt like a step back in Dick's character arc from pre-Flashpoint. On top of that, most of the arcs were just tie-ins to the Court of Owls stuff. The Chicago stuff, which is the stuff that really digs into something unique for Dick, loses Barrows (a big negative) and ends up just being a rehash of Bludhaven. Only it's worse than Bludhaven, which is never even mentioned, in that it feels immensely rushed and any cool storylines they start are either rushed or plain unfinished.

It's not good, but it's not terrible either.

Yeah. And now with how awesome Grayson is the standards for Dick has risen incredibly. I hope that Seely will be able to hold up the quality without King around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom