• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Green Arrow was good. Liked the art, liked the writing, will definitely be back for more.

Batman was also good. Pretty self-contained and it was definitely rushed, but a decent enough taste of the status quo King will be playing with.

Superman... yeah, not so good. The other two books were sort of a "sample" of the style and direction of where the title will go, by showing a day-in-the-life snippet. Superman was 100% continuity wrangling and talking.

This is the whole "show not tell" thing in nutshell... for an epilogue it's fine to have OldSupes lurking in a mausoleum soliloquizing about NuSupes. But for a new readers oneshot? SHOW HIM being Superman. Have him go out and catch a plane or something. Intersperse the flashback conversation with Lana into it if you really want the exposition there, but you need to show us why the world needs a Superman, not just ramble on about it conceptually.

Anyways.

So my local comic shop has this deal on the Rebirth oneshots where, if you don't like the book, you can return it at any point for a full refund. I mean, $2.99 isn't a real issue either way, but that'll definitely encourage me to take a few more shots in the dark.

Ended up really liking Batman and Green Arrow, Lanterns was cool but I was pretty meh on Superman. It felt like it was trying to be a hand off issue without the new 52 supes. You could have just had their meeting be a little more substantial like people wanted...

Regardless of whether or not it makes sense, New 52 would have been the exact same universe if dr. manhattan (or whomever) didn't steal 10 years (Wally says so himself, and says it's not barry's fault). Time traveling has been inconsistent for DC, I think as of flashpoint it doesn't spawn a new earth, just changes the local universe (flashpoint earth replaced post crisis earth, like how new 52 replaced flashpoint). There are infinite earths so there is an earth that exists where flashpoint didn't happen, like there are earths where they're still in pre-zero hour, pre-ic, etc. This is how I'm taking it based on the story in Rebirth.

Eitherway this is the same Barry Allen & DC Characters that from the earth Barry Allen started Flashpoint on (otherwise why would he and all the dc characters remember past events?), I guess you could headcanon that Flashpoint was a different earth from prime earth, but I don't think editorial is writing it that way.

Here's what happened:

Barry, being the dumbass he is, saved his mom. Thus, Flashpoint. At the end of Flashpoint, he goes back again to stop himself from saving his mom. In theory, this would basically undo everything like it normally does in these stories. However, when he was going back, Manhattan decided to grab the 10 years because... we don't know yet. Pandora reacted to this by merging in the Wildstorm and Vertigo 'verses. So it's not the same universe, because it features the stuff she did in addition to the missing 10 years.

Pretty much this, my point is that it replaced the existing earth, as COIE did. This universe occupies the same space that the pre-flashpoint universe did. They're all either prime-earth or earth-0.

Regardless of whether or not it makes sense, New 52 would have been the exact same universe if dr. manhattan (or whomever) didn't steal 10 years (Wally says so himself, and says it's not barry's fault). Time traveling has been inconsistent for DC, I think as of flashpoint it doesn't spawn a new earth, just changes the local universe (flashpoint earth replaced post crisis earth, like how new 52 replaced flashpoint). There are infinite earths so there is an earth that exists where flashpoint didn't happen, like there are earths where they're still in pre-zero hour, pre-ic, etc. This is how I'm taking it based on the story in Rebirth.

Eitherway this is the same Barry Allen & DC Characters that from the earth Barry Allen started Flashpoint on (otherwise why would he and all the dc characters remember past events?), I guess you could headcanon that Flashpoint was a different earth from prime earth, but I don't think editorial is writing it that way.

Pretty much this, my point is that it replaced the existing earth, as COIE did. This universe occupies the same space that the pre-flashpoint universe did. They're all either prime-earth or earth-0.

Nu52 doesn't really work as Flashpoint time travel though since it "reset" the Multiverse too, pre-Flashpoint Earth-2 didn't match up with post-Flashpoint, not to mention some of the during Flashpoint changes effected characters before the point of divergence (like Ra's Al Ghul).

Nu52 was supposed to be a completely clean start (hence Action and Detectives number reset).

Looks good! Interested to see how much we see of OG Wally in the series. Tying Flash more closely to Rebirth than most of the other ongoings could give it a boost.

Did I see someone say the artist from GA Rebirth isn't going to be on the regular run? If so that's a damn shame, really loved this art.

Green Arrow is one of the books that DC is going to ship twice a month. Schmidt and Juan Ferreyra are supposed to alternate arcs.

TheFlow

Banned
Looks good! Interested to see how much we see of OG Wally in the series. Tying Flash more closely to Rebirth than most of the other ongoings could give it a boost.

Green Arrow is one of the books that DC is going to ship twice a month. Schmidt and Juan Ferreyra are supposed to alternate arcs.
That makes sense. Since ottos work is on the next 4 issues

Ashby

Was pretty disappointed to find out the book I'm looking forward to the most (Titans) isn't double shipping. At least it's still $2.99.

Ross61

Was pretty disappointed to find out the book I'm looking forward to the most (Titans) isn't double shipping. At least it's still $2.99.

That's possibly for the best, Brett Booth doesn't need to be on a double ship schedule. Plus Abnett shouldn't be doing two double shipping book either.

Faiz

Did any of the other Convergence books turn out to have any important lasting impact? I have a big stack in my closet that I bought mainly for the creators involved, but haven't read any of them.

Did any of the other Convergence books turn out to have any important lasting impact? I have a big stack in my closet that I bought mainly for the creators involved, but haven't read any of them.

Was futures end part of convergence? It changed Batman Beyond in a pretty bad way.

Mudcrab

Yo I loved Green Arrow Rebirth. I think it managed to capture the idea of 'lost heart' that DC Rebirth is all about much better than the other books this week. Oliver and Dinah together again for the first time fighting for Social Justice and that art, I'm so in for more.

The other books didn't really grab me as much as I'd hoped, especially Batman. Batman didn't feel as refreshing or promising as the others but we all know that creative team has chops so well see when the story proper gets going.

GavinUK86

Just read Green Arrow and I really liked it. The art is fantastic. The characters designs and the outfits are perfect. The writing was great. Got me hooked that's for sure.

Batman was, alright. I'm not that familiar with Duke, aside from reading the DC wikia, so he was so-so but I love the yellow/black outfit he got. That thing looks badass.

And the new Calendar Man totally creeped me out! I loved that. Very disturbing.

About to read Superman and Green Lanterns. I hear Supes isn't very good?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Whilst I loved GA, all I kept thinking when I looked at
Dinah
was how uncomfortable her hot pants looked

Literally went higher than her buttcheeks in the final page

shingi70

Banned
Seems like superman was a concept that was damned if you did or didn't. DC tried to make new 52 superman more relatable and a bit like his golden age personality with a cocky attitude, and most of the comics fan base took him as a dick. The current Superdad people forget was called boring prior to the new 52 and is what people say of superman as a character, and the DCEU superman is too burdened by his abilities and came off as sort of impotent in BvS.

I just read Batman and Green Arrow Rebirth. Batman was a letdown. I've heard good things about King but this was the first comic from him I've ever read (at least I think so) and I wasn't impressed. And another Robin character ? I know they make a point that he's going to take another name but same difference. I wish they stopped creating new Robins every couple of years, it's really hard to buy Batman having so many protégés. A pretty weak start for Batman but I will still try the first few issues.

Green Arrow was a nice surprise. Beautiful art and interesting story. It's nice to see the return of the militant Ollie. I love that he calls himself a SJW, some people are going to be very pissed by that but it makes sense for him.

I was also very surprised to see the variant cover by Steve Skroce, that's a name I haven't come across in a decade at least. It was a very ugly cover sadly but I hope he will do some interior work for DC in the future, I used to like him a lot.

Seems like superman was a concept that was damned if you did or didn't. DC tried to make new 52 superman more relatable and a bit like his golden age personality with a cocky attitude, and most of the comics fan base took him as a dick. The current Superdad people forget was called boring prior to the new 52 and is what people say of superman as a character, and the DCEU superman is too burdened by his abilities and came off as sort of impotent in BvS.

I liked what they did with New 52 Supes during the Truth storyline, with him depowered and getting to know his neighbors but Pak's run went to shit when they started forcing shitty crossovers in every Superman title. That Vandal Savage event was garbage and it lasted way too long, it really handicapped all the titles.

TheFlow

Banned
I just read Batman and Green Arrow Rebirth. Batman was a letdown. I've heard good things about King but this was the first comic from him I've ever read (at least I think so) and I wasn't impressed. And another Robin character ? I know they make a point that he's going to take another name but same difference. I wish they stopped creating new Robins every couple of years, it's really hard to buy Batman having so many protégés. A pretty weak start for Batman but I will still try the first few issues.

Green Arrow was a nice surprise. Beautiful art and interesting story. It's nice to see the return of the militant Ollie. I love that he calls himself a SJW, some people are going to be very pissed by that but it makes sense for him.

I was also very surprised to see the variant cover by Steve Skroce, that's a name that I haven't come across in a decade at least. It was a very ugly cover sadly but I hope he will do some interior work for DC in the future, I used to like him a lot.

I liked what they did with New 52 Supes during the Truth storyline, with him depowered and getting to know his neighbors but Pak's run went to shit when they started forcing shitty crossovers in every Superman title. That Vandal Savage event was garbage and it lasted way too long, it really handicapped all the titles.

it was cowritten by sndyer as oneshot. pick up #1 and see if it doesn't change your mind :p

So how did Grayson end up turning out? Was one of my favorites for a while but I bailed around issue 12 when I pretty much lost interest in all of DC when Rebirth was announced.

Is this the first time a big comic publisher has double shipped their main line of books every month?

Marvel triple shipped Amazing Spider man for a good long while starting with Brand New Day.

And the X-titles used to double ship all the time in the summers for their events.

VeeP

So how did Grayson end up turning out? Was one of my favorites for a while but I bailed around issue 12 when I pretty much lost interest in all of DC when Rebirth was announced.

Marvel triple shipped Amazing Spider man for a good long while starting with Brand New Day.

And the X-titles used to double ship all the time in the summers for their events.

Grayson ended pretty solidly. It had a lot of call backs to his Nightwing series, and the Midnighter was a badass whenever he showed up.

I believe Nightwing Rebirth is more of a sequel to War of the Robins tho.

Good to great at times while being a little convoluted and dumb just by virtue of being a spy story.

ZeroX03

Banned
Bi-monthly releases are going to make it a lot easier for me to read. I have no monthly ceremony of visiting a comic book store, I'll just randomly want to read and check the app to see if there's a new issue of which there often won't be. Also there's the whole forgetting what happened last issue deal, I can't retain minutia a month apart.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bi-monthly releases are going to make it a lot easier for me to read. I have no monthly ceremony of visiting a comic book store, I'll just randomly want to read and check the app to see if there's a new issue of which there often won't be. Also there's the whole forgetting what happened last issue deal, I can't retain minutia a month apart.

Bane of my life

<3 Writers who include a "previously" section at the start

jph139

Memory issues is one of the reasons I like the free digital copies that Marvel gives out. I read an issue, download it to Comixology, and then read it on the train home after I pick up the newest issue. Refresh myself.

Honestly it'll be tough to adjust without that. Double shipping should help, though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The "social justice warrior" line in Green Arrow. Goddamn awesome :)

ZeroX03

Banned
Is no one else worried about the art being rushed for bimonthly issues?

It won't be rushed if they're alternating artists, but the inconsistencies could be annoying. Made binging Batman Eternal an odd experience where characters looked different issue to issue.
Then again I pay much more attention to the text boxes than the artwork so as long as I recognise who's who...

Green Lanterns Rebirth : I really enjoyed it. I haven't followed the Lantern stuff in years so I didn't know much about Cruz and Baz but I like their dynamic and Hal Jordan as the angry superior officer was fun, it looks like it's going to be a fun buddy-comedy / action series and I'm looking forward to what they have in store.

Superman Rebirth : I thought it was really solid and touching without trying too hard to be sentimental about the death of New 52 Clark. I agree that it might not be a great issue for new readers as they don't really explain who this new bearded Superman is and if you haven't read Lois & Clark, you'll probably be a little bit lost. But personally I liked the inclusion of Lana and her role in this story, it's a nice way of closing the book for New 52 Superman. I also loved seeing Superman fighting Doomsday as drawn by the great Doug Mahnke, that opening spread-page was great.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Rebirth issues so far, only Batman was disappointing and even then, it was still okay. My only concern is about the
Watchmen
stuff. It hasn't been hinted at anywhere and I hope that they will tackle that story sooner rather than later, I don't want to wait a year to find out what's going on.

GeeTeeCee

Second week in a row both of my local comic book shops were out of stock of DC Universe Rebirth, and one of them claims the reprint is going to cost twice the price.

At least I picked up Batman Rebirth easily enough. I've not read it yet.

Mudcrab

Second week in a row both of my local comic book shops were out of stock of DC Universe Rebirth, and one of them claims the reprint is going to cost twice the price.

Pretty sure I've read they are on their third printing already.

The "social justice warrior" line in Green Arrow. Goddamn awesome :)

Some seemed miffed at that, but it's honestly what the original Qliver Queen was during the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams era. Hal Jordan was presented as the conservative viewpoint, while Ollie was the liberal one.

Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow-Social-Issues.jpg

Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow-Social-Issues-2.jpg

I kinda want to pick up the second/third printing for the trade binding. I have the floppy, but I'm curious what they're going to pair the issue with in the future. I would think Superleague, Flash or Darkseid War?

Ashby

Some seemed miffed at that, but it's honestly what the original Qliver Queen was during the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams era. Hal Jordan was presented as the conservative viewpoint, while Ollie was the liberal one.

I was going to genuinely ask if there were people that didn't know about this but then I remembered that the popular depiction of Ollie is and has been for a while now, the CW show. That's a shame because growing up you never heard about Ollie without someone bringing up the 70s Green Lantern/Green Arrow run and the bleeding heart depiction of the character that sprung from it (and I'm talking about like, documentaries aired on the History Channel, mainstream coverage).

KonradLaw

I thought that line was a little tongue on cheek. Because unlike what we call SJW Oliver is genuine Social Justice Warrior.

wamberz1

This run was so damn good
It's sitting on my shelf at home right now. I read it every couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom