• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams era was good but a little over the top. It was really edge for its time, but Oliver was just too much imo, Hal could have pointed out how hypocrite Oliver was being (hey I hate Hal but I am defending him....)

For me the perfect GA/Oliver was Grell´s run.

Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams era was good but a little over the top. It was really edge for its time, but Oliver was just too much imo, Hal could have pointed out how hypocrite Oliver was being (hey I hate Hal but I am defending him....)

For me the perfect GA/Oliver was Grell´s run.

Heh, that actually happened occasionally when it got referenced toward the end of the Prebirth universe (in Cry for Justice for example, though I don't recommend subjecting yourself to Cry for Justice just for that or for almost any reason at all for that matter).

Heh, that actually happened occasionally when it got referenced toward the end of the Prebirth universe (in Cry for Justice for example, though I don't recommend subjecting yourself to Cry for Justice just for that or for almost any reason at all for that matter).

Please tell me we're not calling it Prebirth.

Not even talking about Rebirth but Green Arrow is better than Batman in evey respect.

Accept my rumblr request

So I've read the DC Rebirth for Batman, Green Arrow, Superman, and Green Lantern and I'm a bit lost on the first three.

Batman starts after the James Gordon switch, right? I'm still confused about the new "not Robin" and whatever that mess may be. How can I catch up to this?

Superman is pretty much going with "I'm the Superman from before New 52 that came back." angle. That I understand. But the New 52 Superman is dead? Why is the one from before 52 here?

Green Arrow has me a bit thrown for a loop. Isn't Black Canary like, already a couple with him for so long? Did the New 52 change that?

Also, are there two of every hero now? Are there two Black Canaries? Two Green Arrows? Two Batmen?
What the hell should I read so I understand what's going on? I want to give DC another chance. >.>

I'm so damn lost.

tim1138

So I've read the DC Rebirth for Batman, Green Arrow, Superman, and Green Lantern and I'm a bit lost on the first three.

Batman starts after the James Gordon switch, right? I'm still confused about the new "not Robin" and whatever that mess may be. How can I catch up to this?

Superman is pretty much going with "I'm the Superman from before New 52 that came back." angle. That I understand. But the New 52 Superman is dead? Why is the one from before 52 here?

Green Arrow has me a bit thrown for a loop. Isn't Black Canary like, already a couple with him for so long? Did the New 52 change that?

Also, are there two of every hero now? Are there two Black Canaries? Two Green Arrows? Two Batmen?

I'm so damn lost.

The New 52 erased all of Ollie and Dinah's relationship, so the Green Arrow Rebirth issue was essentially their first meeting.

There was multiple Supermen - the New 52 Superman who is now dead and the preNew 52 Superman who was sucked into this world as part of Convergence.

There are multiple Green Lanterns but that's just the nature of the character being a space cop.

What the hell should I read so I understand what's going on? I want to give DC another chance. >.>

I'm so damn lost.

Okay, so, it's like this.

No, you don't really need to know who Duke is. He's a character who's cropped up in a few different places, including a really fun role in We Are Robin, but it'll all get explained in due course. He helped Bruce regain his memory last arc.

They laid out what happened to N52 Supes pretty clearly in the book, I thought, but basically due to the cumulative stresses he'd been under, he started dying, and ultimately went out fighting some random who ended up with his Solar Flare powers. Noble sacrifice and all that. Post-Crisis Supes hopped over to the main universe during Convergence.

No, Dinah and Ollie haven't been a couple since the New 52. They'd barely met, honestly. There was a page 'bout that in the DCU Rebirth oneshot.

Other than Superman, there's only one of everybody, lol.

Ooooooh, OK. Thanks, guys. Really appreciated. So I should read Convergence to understand a bit better?
Also, I like the new Green Lanterns. They're pretty different so far. Neat stuff. Is that their first appearance?

Nah, Baz showed up... what a couple of years ago? He was on the JLA (as opposed to the JL) for a while. Cruz was the new Power Ring, she's been on JL proper for a while now, but only just got her ring.

Ooooooh, OK. Thanks, guys. Really appreciated. So I should read Convergence to understand a bit better?
Also, I like the new Green Lanterns. They're pretty different so far. Neat stuff. Is that their first appearance?

Honestly Convergence is pretty bad. Maybe rent it from your library if they have it?

Dalek

Whatever you do don't read Convergence. If you want, just reading a wiki summary would do you just fine.

Whatever you do don't read Convergence. If you want, just reading a wiki summary would do you just fine.

Honestly Convergence is pretty bad. Maybe rent it from your library if they have it?
Heh, sounds good. So just reading the wiki for Convergence is necessary at this point, then?
I saw something about Clark and Lois? Is that relevant still?
Also, for Batman, just read the New 52 run, right? Like, all of it?

Nah, Baz showed up... what a couple of years ago? He was on the JLA (as opposed to the JL) for a while. Cruz was the new Power Ring, she's been on JL proper for a while now, but only just got her ring.
Oh, OK. Then at least this one is a bit of a clean start. Good!

tim1138

Simon Baz had a short story arc in Green Lantern #0, #12-20, appeared in the short lived JLA book from a few years ago and then that's pretty much it.

Jessica Cruz debuted in Justice League #31 and appeared regularly through issue #50, but appeared in no other books. Up until JL #50, she actually had an evil ring from an alternate universe that tried to possess her.

Heh, sounds good. So just reading the wiki for Convergence is necessary at this point, then?
I saw something about Clark and Lois? Is that relevant still?
Also, for Batman, just read the New 52 run, right? Like, all of it?

Yeah, the less you get into Convergence the better.

Lois and Clark leads directly into Rebirth Superman / Action so if you want more context for those stories get it.

If you have the time and money Snyder's Batman run is one of the best out there but you shouldn't need to read all of it to understand what's going on.

jph139

Did the New 52 have any non-shit crossovers? Other than Forever Evil I only really hear complaints.

In general I feel like DC has been less crossover-centric than Marvel in recent years, though. You can set your watch to Marvel's summer events but I don't really see a DC equivalent.

TheFlow

Banned
Did the New 52 have any non-shit crossovers? Other than Forever Evil I only really hear complaints.

In general I feel like DC has been less crossover-centric than Marvel in recent years, though. You can set your watch to Marvel's summer events but I don't really see a DC equivalent.
Court of owls.

ReiGun

DC switched to mostly smaller crossovers between 2-4 books rather than big summer events.

That said, we still had Trinity War and Forever Evil. We also had things like Zero Year, where the story was happening in one book and for one month, other books had side issues.

DC switched to mostly smaller crossovers between 2-4 books rather than big summer events.

That said, we still had Trinity War and Forever Evil. We also had things like Zero Year, where the story was happening in one book and for one month, other books had side issues.
I can't stand those crossover events between a bunch of different books, hated that shit when I was going through x-men.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Rot world was great. H'el On Earth was pretty good, the first real interactions between N5w House of El.

OmegaX

I love em. For me they're
A main part of a comics universe.

I like events when they have their own separate book like Forever Evil. Sure, other books do tie-ins but you can just read the main story arc.
Events that divide the main story between several books, and still do tie-ins in other books are awful. Superman Doomed being the worst example.

LFG

Neophyte
so... is the characters in the action comics supposed to be the same as the rebirths? is action comics like it's own contained stories or does it cross over into others?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Some seemed miffed at that, but it's honestly what the original Qliver Queen was during the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams era. Hal Jordan was presented as the conservative viewpoint, while Ollie was the liberal one.

Yeah, but still I don't buy that that wasn't intentional. I'll take it :)

so... is the characters in the action comics supposed to be the same as the rebirths? is action comics like it's own contained stories or does it cross over into others?

Both Action and Superman have the same pre-Nu52 Superman but he's in separate storylines. Action is supposed to focus on the feud between Supes and a powered Lex Luthor while Superman is about his relationship with Louis and his son and fitting in to a new world.

Is Superman Rebirth worth looking into for someone who couldn't get into any of the Nu52 Supes books?

It's just filler. Old Supes tries to revive Supes and then realizes he can't and then makes a statue of Superman in the Fortress of Solitude. Just buy the new Superman #1 when it comes out.

Aaaaah man, that 'Tec preview! So good.

And I really liked the Aquaman one, especially the design of those sea creatures. Crocodile sea serpent and T. Rex with flippers, fuck yeah.

I had no idea
Azrael
was in Tec. As if it wasn't already the superior Batbook.

King gonna make you eat those words.

Maybe literally. Who knows what he learned in the CIA?

First look at Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. I'm really digging Claire Roe's pencils.

http://www.newsarama.com/29594-babs-meet-oracle-batgirl-birds-of-prey-rebirth-1-first-look.html

Dig the art. Not so fond of the idea that they're going back again to the "Babs' past haunts her" well, but with Dinah and Helena on the main cast it'll probably be a different take on it, at least.

Aaaaah man, that 'Tec preview! So good.

And I really liked the Aquaman one, especially the design of those sea creatures. Crocodile sea serpent and T. Rex with flippers, fuck yeah.

Can me old fashioned, but I din't like all those Sea Monsters from bad movies around (looks like a SyFy b movie)

First look at Batgirl and the Birds of Prey. I'm really digging Claire Roe's pencils.

http://www.newsarama.com/29594-babs-meet-oracle-batgirl-birds-of-prey-rebirth-1-first-look.html

Digging the art, but the whole Barbara story seems dumb. N52 version remembers her time as Oracle but she is much younger for that. Ok, Rebirth and the 10 years... Was it ever explainned how she recovered from her injuries?

tim1138

King gonna make you eat those words.

Maybe literally. Who knows what he learned in the CIA?

We'll see... :D

Poodlestrike said:
Dig the art. Not so fond of the idea that they're going back again to the "Babs' past haunts her" well, but with Dinah and Helena on the main cast it'll probably be a different take on it, at least.

At least it's not yet another story about her memory being manipulated.

Can me old fashioned, but I din't like all those Sea Monsters from bad movies around (looks like a SyFy b movie)

Digging the art, but the whole Barbara story seems dumb. N52 version remembers her time as Oracle but she is much younger for that. Ok, Rebirth and the 10 years... Was it ever explainned how she recovered from her injuries?

It was explained in one of the early Simone issues, some kind of experimental technology where there's a microchip in her spine or something.

I'm loving Abnett's run so far and this looks to continue that. I wish he was getting a more radical costume change like everyone else does. His suit only really looks badass when Ivan Reis is drawing him.

Here's a preview for next week's Detective Comics Rebirth for anyone who's interested. The art looks really good.

http://www.avclub.com/article/gothams-young-heroes-start-their-training-detectiv-237683

Man that was making my mouth water until Batman appeared on the page in full. It's amazing to me how I like everyone in the Bat family but the main dude. He already has the Tom King and Snyder runs so I hope he's sidelined in Detective Comics.

Hmmm. The villain in the last Batgirl arc (rather than the couple of clean up issues after) had messed with Babs' memory in very thorough ways, maybe an accidental result of the fixing of that was her remembering a N52 version of her time as Oracle ? The way things happened with Barry it's possible the universe just adjusted to fit it in (even if it doesn't really make sense).

Barbara really is to young in the current timeline though you're right. She seems to be Jason's age. Though maybe that's a consequence of the way she's written and she's supposed to be a little older than she seems ? Some of the stuff in the last issue of Batgirl suggested she was working on her Doctorate.

I'm loving Abnett's run so far and this looks to continue that. I wish he was getting a more radical costume change like everyone else does. His suit only really looks badass when Ivan Reis is drawing him.

Man that was making my mouth water until Batman appeared on the page in full. It's amazing to me how I like everyone in the Bat family but the main dude. He already has the Tom King and Snyder runs so I hope he's sidelined in Detective Comics.

I don't think he's going to be sidelined the way the writer was talking it's a sort of team book. Its about the relationships between the characters as much as anything else and the relationships between Batman and the 'Tec cast has gotten almost no attention at all Nu52. Doest sound like he's going to get to hog all the pages either though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't know what y'all saw in Green Arrow. It was a about as subtle as a brick to the face. The first page has a evil Republican walking away mumbling about liberals. I dunno. I found the terribly cheesy writing to be at drastic odds with the story it was trying to tell. The last panel was cute, I suppose. Passing on this one for the time being.

Apt101

Read Batman Rebirth. It was OK, it felt really brief. I like this more cavalier Bruce Wayne - it feels like he hasn't been like this in a long time (I haven't read Batman in like six years, so maybe this is just modus operandi now, I dunno). I am not super hyped to read more Batman after this, but I'll stick with it for a few. Right now I have Wonder Woman and Flash preordered, and will be looking into getting whatever Blue Beetle is in, and if Constantine is in two books both of those.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't know what y'all saw in Green Arrow. It was a about as subtle as a brick to the face. The first page has a evil Republican walking away mumbling about liberals. I dunno. I found the terribly cheesy writing to be at drastic odds with the story it was trying to tell. The last panel was cute, I suppose. Passing on this one for the time being.

Some tropes need to be dropped.

Also given the choice between subtle as a brick to the face Green Arrow and inferior Batman knockoff Green Arrow I'll take brick to the face Green Arrow every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom