• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah no. He's been aces on Clark & Lois.

I though L&C was mediocre, aside from the parts with Jon. I think the best Supes stuff out of new 52 beside Morrison and John's brief runs was Tomasi's SM/WW and maybe Superman unchained. Everything else has been mediocre.

I haven't touched Superman/Batman though, so there might be good material there.

Eitherway I'm trade waiting everything, so I'll pick it up if I hear good things.

Personal rankings of the first four Rebirth books:

1. Superman - Sad to see New 52 Clark go, I really liked his uniform. But this overall was a pretty solid Superman story that felt right tonally - something that often doesn't happen with Supes.

2. Batman - Nothing spectacular, more along the lines of "here are a bunch of pieces, tune in next time to see them move." But the art was decent, and I liked the weird new Calendar Man.

3. Green Arrow - This was alright, it's definitely better than the status quo New 52 started off with, but didn't really get me jazzed.

4. Green Lanterns - I liked Jessica as an anxiety-ridden shut-in. The rest...zzzzz. Another forgotten Guardian prophecy? Come on, man...

So far the DC Universe Rebirth one-shot is by far the best thing about the new era.

So I thought Green Arrow was kind of a generic super hero comic with some groan-inducing lines about being a social justice warrior (but fine, it carves out a defined lane for him, if 'the hero Tumblr deserves' is it, then so be it, it fits). But Batman was...a decent setup Batman comic. I'm not quite sure why this thread is so high on GA but so down on Bats.

I was personally very high on it because GA with the same writer has been pretty terrible with the same social justice warrior stuff but more cringe inducing. This issue made all that stuff more according to GA with him being for the people on the streets and it was overall just more genuine to GA. It was also fun and not absolutely miserable in it'd attitude. It just felt like a great turn and a good build up for this new direction.

I was also pretty high on Batman though I felt like it makes the time line a little confusing and not much really happened.

aly

I didn't. I thought it was very okay, with only Barrows being the good part. It felt like a step back in Dick's character arc from pre-Flashpoint. On top of that, most of the arcs were just tie-ins to the Court of Owls stuff. The Chicago stuff, which is the stuff that really digs into something unique for Dick, loses Barrows (a big negative) and ends up just being a rehash of Bludhaven. Only it's worse than Bludhaven, which is never even mentioned, in that it feels immensely rushed and any cool storylines they start are either rushed or plain unfinished.

It's not good, but it's not terrible either.

Agreed. The crossovers really hurt it and what was left was a total bore. But Grayson was excellent, even with a rushed ending, so i have faith in the new Nightwing stuff.

Yeah. And now with how awesome Grayson is the standards for Dick has risen incredibly. I hope that Seely will be able to hold up the quality without King around.

From what I read Grayson was mostly Seely. King was on the book due to his CIA background, and made sure it was accurate. Then again, it's hard to know what's going on with these things

Effect

I think this is going to be the last batch of issues I get via Amazon instead of directly through the comixology app or website. Comixology just makes it so much easier compared to Amazon. So I'll miss out on getting both the kindle and comixology versions but it's annoying going through the process of finding each title. Also I can't subscribe to the titles on Amazon which I'm likely going to be doing with comixology for some of them to make things easier on myself.

MisterHero

I joined DCBS and ordered a few of the Rebirth bundles but they (the first wave of books) haven't arrived yet

where's my comics mayne

Think I'm skipping this week. No real stand-outs. Am I wrong?

Wow.

Uh, yeah. Pretty wrong :p

Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, The Flash, and Aquaman all look pretty stellar. Wondy in particular is just about guaranteed to be must-read comics. Action Comics is a little less certain, but probably worth checking out.

IconGrist

Wow.

Uh, yeah. Pretty wrong :p

Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, The Flash, and Aquaman all look pretty stellar. Wondy in particular is just about guaranteed to be must-read comics. Action Comics is a little less certain, but probably worth checking out.

Action Comics I'll wait and see what you guys say but I'm grabbing everything else right away.

ReiGun

Think I'm skipping this week. No real stand-outs. Am I wrong?

You dead wrong, fam.

latest

She coming.

Action Comics I'll wait and see what you guys say but I'm grabbing everything else right away.

I'm reading the first of everything, but I think Action is gonna be pretty good. Solid premise, Jurgens proved himself capable of doing everything but the high-level cosmic action stuff on Lois & Clark, and this seems to be not-that, so I've got hopes.

Detective is good.

Wonder who the mysterious villain is,
they've got tech that's considerable more advanced than military / Batman but probably too primitive to be alien and the resources to recruit and outfit a fairly sizeable force with it (unless they are robots ).

Has Azrael been JPV in Nu52 ? I was a little surprised to see him back considering how long he's been gone.

They seem to be making Spoiler considerably more baseline competent than she was on previous debut but given she's sort of a legacy character now I'll go with it.

Also I think someone should look into the Kanes and Waynes it sounds like someone is running an eugenics experiment with them. (Not spoilered because this is me being facetious about some of the dialogue not serious commentary)

The gag with
Clayface and his lack of grapple line was amusing but it does bring up how they intend to handle that , he needs some kind of fast transport (and preferably inconspicuous).

Definitely going to follow this.

TheFlow

Banned
Okie doke. Spoilered anything plot related. I thought it was okay to post things after release. What's the actual policy for newly released stuff and spoilers ?

comic threads are not like manga/anime threads where it is common to see people post spoilers without tags.

Spoilers bars should always be used the day of release.

it is encouraged to post the day of release but to still be courteous to other people who have to wait later in the day to read it.

comic threads are not like manga/anime threads where it is common to see people post spoilers without tags.

Spoilers bars should always be used the day of release.

it is encouraged to post the day of release but to still be courteous to other people who have to wait later in the day to read it.

Fair enough. Could I get you to remove / spoiler your quote of my post please ? There's not much point in me having spoilered it if the old form is right beneath it.

ETA - Thanks.

TheFlow

Banned
I didn't like this week's batch as much as last week but Detective comics was great

Aquaman is the best written book, detective for best art and overall favorite, and flash for story because it is a direct sequel to rebirth #1.

Flash Rebirth #1

basically a sequel to DC Rebirth #1, and a introduction to Flash. Nothing really amazing but it was solid, and had a lot of emotional moments that I liked but others may dislike.

4/5

Detective Comics #934

Pretty much everything I wanted from this. Good art, humble batman, Batwoman being written as competent and as a equal to Batman, and great introductions of the team. Basically young justice if it was only gotham characters. Tim might have his basic robin design but at least batman admits to him being the smartest robin. I think this is going to be the best team book for a while.

5/5 because I am a fanboy when it comes to the bat books.

Aquaman Rebirth #1

I held this one to a high standard because I read the first 12 issues of the previous run so I know how great this book could and can become. That being said, the writing was great, and reminded me of Black Panther by coates. The art was average-meh at best till the last two pages. Will pick up #1 now that
Black Manta is back
I like where Dan is going with the story, but the art bugged me at times. Out of all the rebirth books so far this has left me the most disappointed.

3/5 sad TheFlow face

Wonder Woman Rebirth #1

Let me just start off and say this one did not wow me like I thought it would. Some will love this and others will hate it. I thought it was cool reflection Of Wonder Woman's true self and what she must do to stay on the correct path. It was basically ]a self analysis of who Wonder Woman is by Diana herself. Nothing really happened but I believe it has potential.

3/5

Seems like a lot of Rebirth issues have issues that could have been solved with a higher page count (and possibly a better understanding of where things are going for some characters).

Also on a Detective Comics note - a bit of fridge logic: what happend to the We Are Robin characters other than Duke ? Batman seems to be being a bit negligent concerning them
given that there's apparently a well organized force spying on them
and by Gotham vigilante standards they are almost completely untrained and fairly poorly equipped.

Aquaman Rebirth #1

Pretty good at getting a new reader up to speed. Good characterization, and decent art. Works well enough as a one-shot. It did do the thing that Johns did last time he wrote Aquaman, and that was lampshading all of the things people say about him. You don't need to tell us how awesome he is, just show it. It's like Aquaman writers are insecure or something. I liked Arthur in the book, but again, way too much time apologizing for how other people view his character.

The Flash Rebirth #1

Fun, but not amazing. It was nice seeing more
Wally,
and I do like that it followed up on Rebirth a bit. On the other hand, it didn't give me much of a feel for what the ongoing series is going to be like. Wasn't great at getting me up to speed on the Flash comics either.

Wonder Woman Rebirth #1

Probably my favorite of the three Rebirth issues this week. Great art, and I love the hell out of the mystery, having recently read a lot of the Perez run, as well as Rucka's run I did like the shout outs to both. I also loved the different takes on the origin. It also gave a great feel for what the main thrust of her series is going to be.

Action Comics #957

Love the concept, though the execution is not quite the best. Still, the idea that
Luthor taking on the legacy of Superman for his own gain was the thing that brough Clark out of hiding was pretty awesome.
the twist was interesting too. I wonder if that will be the first step in
returning to the secret identity.

Detective Comics #934

Fun issue with great characterization. I love just about all the characters in this book save Orphan and Karlo. The nice thing was is that the characterization seems spot on, seeing Robin and Spoiler interacting again warms my heart, and I definitely want to see where the series goes. Only complaint was no real action.

IconGrist

Reading WW Rebirth #1, when Diana was
trying to understand her confused memories and used the lasso on herself. She dons the new suit and I half expected her BvS counterpart to become part of her comic canon. The suit is damn near identical.

Just finished 'Tec and it was a really good start. Characterization was spot on for everyone and seeing Tim and Spoiler interact again was great. I still hate Cassandra's new codename but I'll have to live with it, I guess. Can't wait to see where it goes from here. I have a feeling this will be my favorite Batbook; I love the idea and Tim is in it so that alone pushes it to the top of my list.

aly

Tec comics was ok. Orphan is still a dumb name. Just really hoping they don't treat Tim like an amateur and fix his stupid backstory.
Poor Clayface not being able to swing around though. Also Batwoman's hair is ugly. Go back to the superior bobcut.

Tec comics was ok. Orphan is still a dumb name. Just really hoping they don't treat Tim like an amateur and fix his stupid backstory.
Poor Clayface not being able to swing around though. Also Batwoman's hair is ugly. Go back to the superior bobcut.

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking with the name. She can't be Batgirl and taking a 'Bat' name herself would be presumptuous so that eliminates the names she had but surely they could do better than Orphan. Though I admit I'm having trouble finding something that works myself.

Yeah, I have no idea what they were thinking with the name. She can't be Batgirl and taking a 'Bat' name herself would be presumptuous so that eliminates the names she had but surely they could do better than Orphan. Though I admit I'm having trouble finding something that works myself.

Orphan works, IMO. Not, like, in a vacuum, but in context of her father? Yeah, it's okay.

Luigi87

Picked up Detective Comics, Action Comics, Flash (the one I'm most interested in reading), and Wonder Woman (Artgerm's cover).

Hopefully my local shop gets Green Arrow in next week finally.

Tragicomedy reviews Rebirth books!

Action Comics #957 - ★★★★ - Luthorman! Lois tried to teach her son not to use his powers to take the easy way out in life, only for Clark
to bounce laser beams off a mirror to...shave?!? Superman is a lazy mofo! How don't those just melt the freaking mirror?
Anyway, this book is a mess! But in all the best possible ways. It's unpredictable, silly, and pure fun. It goes from 0-60 within the first ten pages and doesn't let up. Loved it.

Aquaman: Rebirth - ★ - There might be a way to make Aquaman interesting, but this is definitely not it. Dull intro to a dull character doing dull aquatic things. This book includes a scene where
the protagonists discuss eating clam chowder
, and it's somehow not the most boring part of the book! Nope. Dropped.

Detective Comics #934 - ★★★★★ - This book is phenomenal. I mean, yeah, the art ranges from mediocre to absolutely terrible, but everything else is great! You've got a great cast of characters, a great setup, and the introduction of an intriguing villain. It's all here. This is the Batman book I want. I have no idea why Cassandra Cain is
dressed like fucking Black Panther!
Who cares? Loved it.

Flash: Rebirth - ★★★★ - I was a bit worried I was reading a rehash of DC Universe: Rebirth all over again. Williamson going for the exact same emotional tug lifted from a book we saw just two weeks ago was disappointing, but the book goes on to explore those concepts a heck of a lot more than I thought we'd see this early on. It looks like this will be one of the main books to tackle the Dr. Manhattan shenanigans going forward. I still think the entire Watchmen stuff is grade A bullshit, but at least DC isn't going to just leave it out there to rust. I just hope they stop with the whole, "We're being WATCHED" inanity. It seems we're headed for a flash team up with
Batman
, so that could be fun. A solid first book.

Wonder Woman: Rebirth - ★★ - Not a big fan of Rucka's writing on this intro. I realize where he's trying to take the book in resolving the confusing and contradictory continuity of the character, but the repetition of "this OR that" got old awfully fast. Rucka really beat the dead horse with 20+ pages of rehashing the concept. We get it. I'm intrigued by the concept of the alternating timelines this story will feature, but Wonder Woman is on a short leash.

aly

I mean it worked for Batwoman. Black Bat would've been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom