• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lokimaru

I'm so excited.

5mTJtax.jpg

I still don't get WHY people want this guy OVER New 52 Superman? Why not just give New52 Superman his 10 years back.

I still don't get WHY people want this guy OVER New 52 Superman? Why not just give New52 Superman his 10 years back.

I don't think too many people actually wanted him back. Latest L&C issue only sold 18k while Superman did 54k, and it wasn't just this month. I'm hoping they merge or something, I don't like the idea of killing off this Superman or the new 52 one. I'd rather it was just the new 52 one that got his memories back like you said.

kmfdmpig

I know next to nothing when it comes to sales but it makes me think this is pretty huge when it didn't really have many variant covers and I feel like I always hear that being the way Marvel gets those huge numbers.

It's a good number although given the price/page count and how much it was hyped it doesn't seem like an overwhelmingly high number.
I think it's still selling with additional printings, so maybe the final number will be a fair amount higher.

I don't think too many people actually wanted him back. Latest L&C issue only sold 18k while Superman did 54k, and it wasn't just this month. I'm hoping they merge or something, I don't like the idea of killing off this Superman or the new 52 one. I'd rather it was just the new 52 one that got his memories back like you said.

Superman 52 got a boost because of the new storyline. #51's sales were only 38K, which is really low for the lead Super-book. I'm not saying that people were clamoring for 'old' Superman but DC had to do something to get interest in the character back.

I mean, setting aside that

>We have no idea who the Clark who showed up in Action was

>That
weirdass glowing handprint
from the Superman preview

I feel pretty safe in saying that by hook or by crook N52 Supes is gonna make a comeback.

Dalek

It's weird though that Pre-Flashpoint Superman is now in New 52 universe where his parents have been dead for a long time.

Nah, that world was restored. Clark and Lois just don't know yet.

Actually, how does that work now? Was the New 52 always the pre-Flashpoint continuity now?

Are they even the Pre-Flashpoint Lois & Clark ? I mean pre-Flashpoint Lois & Clark didn't have a kid so they seem to be further ahead in the time line. Admittedly that's not conclusive since Convergence grabbed some characters from before Pre-Flashpoint as well. But it's just as possible its a Lois & Clark that are just very similar to the pre-Flashpoint version advanced a few years, visiting potential futures and alternate worlds that are very similar to potential futures wouldn't be unusual for DC. Actually does the timeline work out for them to be a Pre-Flashpoint Lois & Clark who actually continue to exist through the time DC-Nu was running ?

Ross61

Are they even the Pre-Flashpoint Lois & Clark ? I mean pre-Flashpoint Lois & Clark didn't have a kid so they seem to be further ahead in the time line. Admittedly that's not conclusive since Convergence grabbed some characters from before Pre-Flashpoint as well. But it's just as possible its a Lois & Clark that are just very similar to the pre-Flashpoint version advanced a few years, visiting potential futures and alternate worlds that are very similar to potential futures wouldn't be unusual for DC. Actually does the timeline work out for them to be a Pre-Flashpoint Lois & Clark who actually continue to exist through the time DC-Nu was running ?

This is where the mystery of the New 52 Superman and Pre- Flashpoint Superman and Louis seek to solve. They're possibly going to be an easy explanation for this while we're overthinking it.

we've gone back and forth on the differences between the current universe and pre-flashpoint.

The only thing we know is that this Wally is the pre-flashpoint Wally and Barry remembers him, which implies he's pre-flashpoint as well. Wally said this world would have been the same after flashpoint if not for someone (Dr. Manhattan?) altering it, he said Barry isn't the reason for the new 52 universe.

For me, atleast, these characters are all the same characters as pre-flashpoint, as they're capable of remembering events that happened in that continuity. I don't think earth-prime exists anymore, new 52 replaced it.

shingi70

Banned
we've gone back and forth on the differences between the current universe and pre-flashpoint.

The only thing we know is that this Wally is the pre-flashpoint Wally and Barry remembers him, which implies he's pre-flashpoint as well. Wally said this world would have been the same after flashpoint if not for someone (Dr. Manhattan?) altering it, he said Barry isn't the reason for the new 52 universe.

For me, atleast, these characters are all the same characters as pre-flashpoint, as they're capable of remembering events that happened in that continuity. I don't think earth-prime exists anymore, new 52 replaced it.

It doesn't imply Barry is pre flashpoint considering he remember a new 52 incarnation of the Titans. In that Titans preview we see the Titans on new 52 world and not a pre flashpoint one.

So how does Donna Troy factor if she was just born in Wonder Oman and Titans hunt seems to gel with that.

It's Super bizarre decision. Even if you think he's a better character it's still a weird decision. All of the supporting cast and status quo of the old Superman comics is still going to be gone. His relationships with dudes like Batman and the JLA are going to be completely nonexistent because they don't even know him. Every interaction he's going to have with those dudes for the next few years is going to be informed by the fact that he's a Superman from a different universe. It's going to be weird.

NeonZ

That all could easily be fixed by people starting to remember the previous timeline. The biggest oddity is that they're dragging this "mystery" going forward, rather than using the Rebirth issues to do a clean up on everything, with people remembering the Post-Crisis Superman immediately.

Lois became pregnant and had a son during the year where Clark was powerless under Brainiac's dome. That one year is the reason they're "ahead in the timeline", they were still picked up from the Pre-Flashpoint universe originally. Their son grew up because they got to the New 52 universe right around the time of Darkseid's defeat, so they've been around for 10 years now.

It doesn't imply Barry is pre flashpoint considering he remember a new 52 incarnation of the Titans. In that Titans preview we see the Titans on new 52 world and not a pre flashpoint one.

Barry remembered that Wally was "Flash" too in the Flash: Rebirth issue though, something that didn't happen in the New 52 timeline, where Wally seemingly disappeared as Kid Flash.

multivac

Superman #1 was just fantastic. I love seeing Tomasi and Gleason work their magic on another super-kid after their great work on Batman and Robin.

Titans, Superman and Green Arrow were great.

I'm loving Rebirth so far.

Green Arrow spoilers:
They wasted no time bringing back, "Hey, pretty bird."

So I started to read Titans Rebirth.... Is it necessary to read Titans Hunt before? It was an 8 issue series?

And opinions about Batma #1? I trust King, but I am not sold yet on the concept of the "Gotham" hero.

So I started to read Titans Rebirth.... Is it necessary to read Titans Hunt before? It was an 8 issue series?

And opinions about Batma #1? I trust King, but I am not sold yet on the concept of the "Gotham" hero.

I haven't read Titans yet so I'm not sure how much is actually restated, but I would think it should be fine because it's supposed to be a jumping on point. I would think they would restate the important details in the first couple pages.

If it doesn't though it basically just outlines the way Rebirth is effecting this group of heroes. The idea of losing time and not remembering that they were Teen Titans at one point and them coming back together is basically what Hunt covered.

So DC is hosting a Rebirth panel at Denver Comic Con this weekend and I'm hoping I can make it in. I'll try to get as many pictures and data as possible.

If they open up questions, what would you like to have asked?

So DC is hosting a Rebirth panel at Denver Comic Con this weekend and I'm hoping I can make it in. I'll try to get as many pictures and data as possible.

If they open up questions, what would you like to have asked?

Hopefully they talk about some possible new books down the road. I know they've said they want to make sure the plan is working and then try more experiments but I kind of want to know what is on that list of experiments for down the road.

MartyStu

Theory:

The pre-crisis Superman we are seeing is actually a cosplaying Doctor Manhattan.

I am not kidding. Either intentionally or not, he is Superman.

My guess is that he is casting himself in a role that requires less moral ambiguity since he is wracked with guilt for all that happened at the end of watchman.

So any theories on who our observer in Justice League #51 is ?

It looks kind of like one of the more bestial Dark Monitor takes ?

Theory:

The pre-crisis Superman we are seeing is actually a cosplaying Doctor Manhattan.

I am not kidding. Either intentionally or not, he is Superman.

My guess is that he is casting himself in a role that requires less moral ambiguity since he is wracked with guilt for all that happened at the end of watchman.

I'm not sure Dr Manhattan would even be capable of guilt given that he literally transcends time. Apart from when he was effected by the tachyon distortions he already knew what would happen and didn't really have choice he acted as he did because that's how he acted.

MartyStu

I am going to come out and say it: Green Lantern #1 was solid. No. It was good.

That said, it has already put itself in a precarious position.

It can go sideways really, really easily with this "!!!RED DAWN!!!" stuff.

So any theories on who are observer in Justice League #51 is ?

It looks kind of like one of the more bestial Dark Monitor takes ?

I'm not sure Dr Manhattan would even be capable of guilt given that he literally transcends time. Apart from when he was effected by the tachyon distortions he already knew what would happen and didn't really have choice he acted as he did because that's how he acted.

Yeah I know, but I doubt DC cares that much.

Huh. Just finsished Batman #1. Okay this is suspicious as all hell.
Gotham and Gotham Girl appear almost identical to what you'd get if Supergirl and Superman wore Batman's colors. Don't really know anything about them yet since they debuted on the last page but there's no way this is on the up and up. It's way to on the nose.

ETA - I am of course, all in. Everything about this book is excellent.

To be fair Green Lantern has been "!!!COLOR THING!!!" since not long after Hal came back like a decade ago now.

Oh God - I just realized - we have Titans to get killed off / lose arms in this event again.

Tragicomedy Reviews Rebirth, spoiler free.

Batman #1 - ★★★★★ - CIA assassin Tom Fucking King, ladies and gentlemen! This book is a masterpiece. Perfect pacing, amazing self-contained story that sets us up going forward in the series, and two of the most iconic panels in the history of Batman comics. I mean, these action scenes, by god! 

Green Arrow #1 - ★★★★★ - I went gaga over Batman, but this is still the crown jewel of Rebirth for me. Two stellar issues in, everything is set up so perfectly in this world. I love the focus on the relationships early on. Art is gorgeous.

Superman #1 - ★★★ - In contrast to Action Comics, the story in this series keeps moving at a pretty glacial pace. It's never dull and is doing a solid job of introducing the protagonists, but two issues in and we're still aimless on where this is headed. A book about family? I thought Superman's son was getting his own team up book with Damian. No clue who the main antagonists will be.

Titans Rebirth - ★★ - I'm admittedly not a huge Titans fan, so take this review with a grain of salt. This is a good introductory book. It sets everything up nicely. Looks like there's a lot of shared history and friendship that I'm just not aware of, but I think regulars will eat up the fan service. This will probably be like Flash in that it's one of the main books that will follow up on the whole Watchmen storyline.

Didn't buy Green Lanterns, so I'll look forward to hearing impressions.

tim1138

Green Lanterns was solidly good. Humphries has done a nice job establishing individual voices for Baz and Cruz that play off their back stories (Baz is brash and over compensates because he's trying to prove he's worthy and over come cultural fear and Cruz is more subdued and timid due to her agoraphobia). The art was a bit hit or miss at times, but better than the Rebirth issue.

All that said, Green Arrow is still far and away the best of the Rebirth stuff so far. The art and writing are all top notch.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi. A little nervous about posting here but I'm looking for some answers to questions that have been bugging me!

Although I've been reading graphic novels for years I'm virtually completely new to what I think of as "comics" - so basically all of this stuff (despite having read a few of the obvious Batman books). I picked up Harley Quinn 1 which was new 52 and I gather this was a big reboot from 2011?

I only read graphic novels as I can't keep on top of individual comics...

Is the New 52 a waste of time then? Is the general consensus that they're bad? If there are a few worth checking out, what would you suggest?

What existed before the new 52? Seems my local comic shop has loads and loads of new 52 books - was there just a void before then?

Aside from Harley Quinn, are there any other irreverent / light hearted books you could recommend?

thank you. Comics are bloody overwhelming for a new person.

Hi. A little nervous about posting here but I'm looking for some answers to questions that have been bugging me!

Although I've been reading graphic novels for years I'm virtually completely new to what I think of as "comics" - so basically all of this stuff (despite having read a few of the obvious Batman books). I picked up Harley Quinn 1 which was new 52 and I gather this was a big reboot from 2011?

Is the New 52 a waste of time then? Is the general consensus that they're bad? If there are a few worth checking out, what would you suggest?

What existed before the new 52? Seems my local comic shop has loads and loads of new 52 books - was there just a void before then?

Aside from Harley Quinn, are there any other irreverent / light hearted books you could recommend?

The New 52 isn't a complete waste of time. There were good books in it.

Read the whole New 52 Batman run. Issues 1-52 or Volumes 1-8 if you are reading it in graphic novel form. It's not light hearted but it's great.

I definitely wouldn't say it was pointless. Perhaps now deemed unnecessary, but we got some great stuff out of it.

Before the New 52, there was just the DCU; the post-Crisis DCU, that is. New 52 was the latest in a number of large-scale reboots following events. People were worried Rebirth would be more of the same, but so far that seems not to be the case.

Edit: Holy shit, Batman #1 was literally everything I was hoping it would be. King da gawd.

And the art was great too! Turns out Finch isn't so bad when he's propped up by a fantastic inker and colorist.

He is. This is leading up to him becoming superboy.

Yeah, unlike Nu52 Rebirth isn't launching "simultaneously" (ie in the same month), the books are being staggered.

I don't think we've even gotten a definitive list of the Rebirth titles and when they are debuting yet. We've had new books in each months preview so far and we're still missing two books that have been pretty heavily hinted in.JSA and Legion.

ETA - I would like to add that Gotham and Gotham Girl are terrible names if these are supposed to be ongoing characters. It's almost impossible to track the discussion since it's both the name of Baman's primary stomping ground and a TV show and Gotham Girls has been a series title before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom