• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

I have a question, it's probably dumb but is detective comics and batman #1 the same batman carrying over from the new 52? I just finished reading batman #52 and wasn't sure which one I should read or if they are connected? Rebirth confuses me a bit :p

They're the same incarnation of Batman, yes. As of now, there is no crossing over between Batman and Detective Comics. I would read Batman if you want a regular Batman book and Detective if you want a Batfamily book where Batman isn't the focus.

Aw man, really? I thought it was GLORIOUS. I take it you're only into the really realistic stuff?

Ot6mRPO.png

That just looks incredible to me.

Green Arrow art is superb. Best looking DC book.

Ok, I take back what I said. I only have read Rebirth, not #1 yet.

However there is something in the way the artist draws Black Canary that bothers me.

Edited: By the way I found strange that Batman just called for Clark (twice, one asking for help and another when Gothams arrived) when his Clark is dead. They will just swap the supes with no consequence at all? Lol.

MartyStu

However there is something in the way the artist draws Black Canary that bothers me.

Edited: By the way I found strange that Batman just called for Clark (twice, one asking for help and another when Gothams arrived) when his Clark is dead. They will just swap the supes with no consequence at all? Lol.

We do not know when Batman takes place in relation to the new superman.

This may be much further along. Some other books have suggested that he really dislikes/distrusts the new Superman.

I had issues with a few Black Canary panels in the Rebirth issue too but I didn't notice much issue with #1. Other than that I love the art.

kmfdmpig

I had issues with a few Black Canary panels in the Rebirth issue too but I didn't notice much issue with #1. Other than that I love the art.

The worst rebirth art I saw was Jessica Cruz looking to the side while shopping in Green Lantern 1. She looked like ET a bit. On the plus side the art for constructs and action seemed fairly good in that book.

tim1138

Do we we have many truly bad post Rebirth book yet?

At most 2 - 3 I think. And one of those is perhaps just mediocre.

I read all of the one shots and I didn't think any of them were bad. A couple were average or just didn't interest me for whatever reason (ie Brett Booth art), but I didn't think any were flat out bad.

The worst rebirth art I saw was Jessica Cruz looking to the side while shopping in Green Lantern 1. She looked like ET a bit. On the plus side the art for constructs and action seemed fairly good in that book.

Yeah that whole sequence of Jessica and her sister out shopping had some funky art. She looks great in costume, but out of costume it just looked off.

Not Rebirth, but I just read Omega Men. Holy Shit! Tom King is AMAZING! Seriously best space story I have read since Annihilation, and honestly probably better than that.

aly

Titans Rebirth : Not much happened, but man do I hate that art. Justice League: It was okay. Cyborg being in the League still bothers me.

Blader

I was a bit mixed on the Superman and Batman rebirth specials, but their #1s were pretty strong debuts. I was a big fan of Tomasi and Gleason's work on GLC a few years back (more so than Johns' Green Lantern run really), so I'm looking forward to what they do here. Gleason's art especially looks great.

(Side note: how was their Batman run together? I skipped it at the time because I was more interested in focusing on Morrison's run.)

Green Arrow #1 was solid, I didn't like it as much as the rebirth one-shot, but still good. Titans Rebirth was ok, I don't really have any attachment to or knowledge of this team, and this was basically the same
"get everyone to remember Wally"
plot. I'll wait and see where it goes from here before dropping it.

GeeTeeCee

(Side note: how was their Batman run together? I skipped it at the time because I was more interested in focusing on Morrison's run.)

Tomasi and Gleason's run on Batman & Robin was consistently entertaining, and the Bruce/Damian dynamic was well written enough to counter some of the occasionally weak story arcs. There's a handful of fantastic single issues (the Death of the Family tie-in has a horrifying version of face-off Joker, and it stays great even after (major N52 Bat-family spoilers)
the death & return of Damian

--

I finally got to pick up a copy of DC Universe Rebirth today. That was a fantastic comic, even as someone with no real connection to the main character of the story.

Batman #1 - I wasn't going to pick up this series originally due to the double shipping, but curiosity got the better of me. I'm glad I did, as it looks like King has a solid handle on Bruce already, and the two new Gotham vigilantes are going to be an interesting new addition. David Finch's art remains a bit too hit or miss for my liking, and it's a small let down after Capullo's run. I'll still keep reading for King.

Justice League #51 - solid enough, though I'm guessing this is building towards the Titan stuff and I'm not planning on reading that. I don't know how likely it is, but it felt to me like they were building up
Mandrakk
as the villain.

TTOOLL

So, I read JL #51, it's after Darkside War but I didn't quite get the 5 years ago thing and then 6 months later. Could anybody help me?
Also, won't there be a JL Rebirth?

shingi70

Banned
So, I read JL #51, it's after Darkside War but I didn't quite get the 5 years ago thing and then 6 months later. Could anybody help me?

JL #51 is a flashback taking place six months after the Justice League formed and Dick meeting the league for the first time.

GeeTeeCee

JL #51 is set 6 months after the League's first encounter with Darkseid (the very first story arc of Justice League, rather than Darkseid War, which was the most recent battle).

Comixology says there's a JL Rebirth out at the beginning of July.

TTOOLL

Oh, thanks guys! I just recently started reading comics for real so I feel kind of lost sometimes. I read Darkseid War and thought #51 would follow on that.

MartyStu

So early? I hope they learned something with these crossovers and not have too many derail other books like Nightwing.

They actually seemed to have learned a lot. But then again, the Batman team always had its shit together:

Like Robin War, the event is contained across only 3 books and only for about a month.

I was a bit mixed on the Superman and Batman rebirth specials, but their #1s were pretty strong debuts. I was a big fan of Tomasi and Gleason's work on GLC a few years back (more so than Johns' Green Lantern run really), so I'm looking forward to what they do here. Gleason's art especially looks great.

Green Arrow #1 was solid, I didn't like it as much as the rebirth one-shot, but still good. Titans Rebirth was ok, I don't really have any attachment to or knowledge of this team, and this was basically the same
"get everyone to remember Wally"
plot. I'll wait and see where it goes from here before dropping it.

Tomasi and Gleason's Batman stuff is fantastic. Hell, Gleason's solo 'Robin: Son of Batman' is pretty good as well.

Ross61

The only problem that I heard Robin War had was the characterization. I don't really expect that since this seems to be a collaborative effort between the respective writers. Plus Steve Orlando is certainly not new to the Batman family as say Tom King was. Also, this seems mostly contained and just looks and sounds fun so I can't really complain.

aly

The only problem that I heard Robin War had was the characterization. I don't really expect that since this seems to be a collaborative effort between the respective writers. Plus Steve Orlando is certainly not new to the Batman family as say Tom King was. Also, this seems mostly contained and just looks and sounds fun so I can't really complain.

That's interesting. I thought Robin War was one of the few places where Tim and Jason had any types of personality or seemed like they fit with family. Better than their own individual books at least imo.

MartyStu

Wonder Woman Rebirth

I know many were pretty down on this book, but other than being much too short, I found it quite lovely.

Not the best of the lot, but certainly one of the strongest in terms of being attractive to new readers and vets.

Batman #1

The best thing about this issue are the insane--and obviously impossible--logistics behind Batman managing to save that plane in 6 minutes.

I am sure he has some robot somewhere that could have done the job, but doing it with math and pure suicidal determination is much more fun.

Rule of cool manages to just allow the story to eke out a suspension of disbelief.

Wonder Woman Rebirth

I know many were pretty down on this book, but other than being much too short, I found it quite lovely.

Not the best of the lot, but certainly one of the strongest in terms of being attractive to new readers and vets.

I can't think of a single thing in the book that appeals to new readers of WW, and I say that as someone firmly in that category. It's an examination of inconsistencies in her continuity that none of us understand, or should frankly be expected to give a crap about.

Of all the Rebirth books, this was by far the worst for new readers jumping in. 20 pages of the protagonist asking, "Am I this, or really this?" Ummmm, I dunno, Greg Rucka. Why don't you just write a good story?

MartyStu

I can't think of a single thing in the book that appeals to new readers of WW, and I say that as someone firmly in that category. It's an examination of inconsistencies in her continuity that none of us understand, or should frankly be expected to give a crap about.

Of all the Rebirth books, this was by far the worst for new readers jumping in. 20 pages of the protagonist asking, "Am I this, or really this?" Ummmm, I dunno, Greg Rucka. Why don't you just write a good story?

Really, because I know essentially nothing about Wonder Woman except for certain things in the periphery and I really enjoyed it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Titans: Rebirth was easily my favorite book so far, and I usually don't favor team books. Didn't mind the art although Lilith was very muscular.

Also between Rebirth, Flash and Titans I don't think they've explained what happened to Wally's kids?

Wonder Woman Rebirth

Batman #1

The best thing about this issue are the insane--and obviously impossible--logistics behind Batman managing to save that plane in 6 minutes.

I am sure he has some robot somewhere that could have done the job, but doing it with math and pure suicidal determination is much more fun.

Rule of cool manages to just allow the story to eke out a suspension of disbelief.

I agree. Wonder Woman Rebirth was just really well done.

kmfdmpig

I agree. I know some about Wonder Woman, but not an incredible amount. I found the writing to be frustrating and poor, not mysterious or effective. I was expecting to love it as Rucka is usually amazing, but it was a really poor issue for me.

Really, because I know essentially nothing about Wonder Woman except for certain things in the periphery and I really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed it, sure. Everyone will have their own response. I'm more interested to know if you understood any of the stuff it was referencing. I did not. And these are comics, not Shakespeare, so they're typically pretty dang easy to follow. I had no clue what Rucka was going on about with her continuity, because you kind of have to know the continuity in the first place.

I agree. I know some about Wonder Woman, but not an incredible amount. I found the writing to be frustrating and poor, not mysterious or effective. I was expecting to love it as Rucka is usually amazing, but it was a really poor issue for me.

I love what I've read from Rucka, so I was high on this book. Instead of a fresh start, a Rebirth of Wonder Woman, we have a first book weighed down by a ton of baggage. The way they are pitching the series, I don't see that changing.

Also between Rebirth, Flash and Titans I don't think they've explained what happened to Wally's kids?

I asked bout it before. It seems that everyone, including Wally and the writers, forgot about them. Wally keeps crying for Linda, but completely ignored they had kids. As a father, it seems impossible to me. Clearly this point is a problem for the writers, but to complete ignore them is not the right solution imo.

Kurdel

Banned
Batman #1 was really really good.

When I got to the plane bit, I had to go back 2 pages, because I couldn't believe how fast it went while still staying coherent and somewhat credible.

An amazing action sequence, and having Batman wondering if this would be a good death, an awesome way to put in the forefront Bruce Wayne's fundamental insecurities. Can't wait to see where it goes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I asked bout it before. It seems that everyone, including Wally and the writers, forgot about them. Wally keeps crying for Linda, but completely ignored they had kids. As a father, it seems impossible to me. Clearly this point is a problem for the writers, but to complete ignore them is not the right solution imo.

I hope it's explained, it's important. They haven't shown him to have lost any memories, but it does appear like they're just gone. And they were featured as recently Convergence.

kmfdmpig

I love what I've read from Rucka, so I was high on this book. Instead of a fresh start, a Rebirth of Wonder Woman, we have a first book weighed down by a ton of baggage. The way they are pitching the series, I don't see that changing.

That's what's so strange about it. I get the sense that they think the conflicting origins are a problem (as if those are all that unique to DC heroes anyway considering Power Girl, Hawkman, and Donna Troy), but by trying to address it they're making it worse, not better. I know John Byrne is a dick, but his Man of Steel 1 after Crisis is a better way of clearing up confusion and inconsistencies. Show us what the new norm is and assert things positively rather than go through this exercise of am I clay or a child, pepsi or coke, hot or cold, blah or blah.

That's what's so strange about it. I get the sense that they think the conflicting origins are a problem (as if those are all that unique to DC heroes anyway considering Power Girl, Hawkman, and Donna Troy), but by trying to address it they're making it worse, not better. I know John Byrne is a dick, but his Man of Steel 1 after Crisis is a better way of clearing up confusion and inconsistencies. Show us what the new norm is and assert things positively rather than go through this exercise of am I clay or a child, pepsi or coke, hot or cold, blah or blah.

Rucka doesn't have that freedom since Rebirth isn't a hard reboot (its a soft one like Zero Hour), Man of Steel was done as an explicit hard reboot post-Crisis. So Rucka is stuck needing to address the current position and introducing his changes in a way that makes sense relative to that.

(Donna Troy's everlasting continuity mess is more than a little becauase she's tied to Diana who gets Rectonned by every third writer.)

When I got to the plane bit, I had to go back 2 pages, because I couldn't believe how fast it went while still staying coherent and somewhat credible.

An amazing action sequence, and having Batman wondering if this would be a good death, an awesome way to put in the forefront Bruce Wayne's fundamental insecurities. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Yeah the whole issue had a breakneck pacing that was like the climax of an action movie.

Pendas

Banned

Agree. I love how it played on the Superman trope of "he always saves a crashing plane." But this time we get to see how Batman handles it.

MartyStu

Enjoyed it, sure. Everyone will have their own response. I'm more interested to know if you understood any of the stuff it was referencing. I did not. And these are comics, not Shakespeare, so they're typically pretty dang easy to follow. I had no clue what Rucka was going on about with her continuity, because you kind of have to know the continuity in the first place.

I do not think it is important to understand all of the things referenced, just that their ambiguity and plurality contributes to the central conceit that Diana is supposed to be a creature of truth and 'someone/something' has worked hard to distort her.

It seems to challenge the idea that continuity can be toyed with without any consequences to the core of the character. Rucka seems to want to reject this.

He seems to be saying: 'This is a beginning for the character, but it is not the beginning: the previous continuities are still important to the soul of the character.'

Furthermore, I would argue that the book is an invitation to delve more into the character and learn more about her rich past.

Yeah the whole issue had a breakneck pacing that was like the climax of an action movie.

King has a knack for thoroughly controlling the pace of a book. One of his big strengths, nothing ever feels like it's dragging or it's rushed.

I do not think it is important to understand all of the things referenced, just that their ambiguity and plurality contributes to the central conceit that Diana is supposed to be a creature of truth and 'someone/something' has worked hard to distort her.

It seems to challenge the idea that continuity can be toyed with without any consequences to the core of the character. Rucka seems to want to reject this.

He seems to be saying: 'This is a beginning for the character, but it is not the beginning: the previous continuities are still important to the soul of the character.'

Furthermore, I would argue that the book is an invitation to delve more into the character and learn more about her rich past.

Agreed thoroughly. Maybe it would have been better to open with a WW Year One issue, but this set forth a very interesting premise, even though it wasn't particularly new reader friendly.

Agreed thoroughly. Maybe it would have been better to open with a WW Year One issue, but this set forth a very interesting premise, even though it wasn't particularly new reader friendly.

That's exactly what I'm saying. MartyStu said the WW book is one of the most attractive Rebirth books for new readers, and I'm not seeing that at all.

I have no idea how the book will turn out (based Rucka), but nothing about the first issue was friendly to a new reader.

MartyStu

That's exactly what I'm saying. MartyStu said the WW book is one of the most attractive Rebirth books for new readers, and I'm not seeing that at all.

I have no idea how the book will turn out (based Rucka), but nothing about the first issue was friendly to a new reader.

Well, I will have to concede this point as poodle is the second person to point it out.

As a new WW reader, it did a pretty good job of making me want to read both the post-Rebirth book as well as some of the older stuff (people keep on raving about Rucka's run.).

I also found it easy to follow.

That said, I am hardly new to comics or DC's continuity shenanigans, so there is that.

jph139

My biggest problem with WW Rebirth is just that... it's boring. I feel like the Rebirth books should be about - hey, this is what we're doing with this character. This is a taste of what's to come, this is why you should buy our book. Heroes being heroes, characters being characters.

Batman and Green Arrow nailed that - good character moments, a good rundown of the status quo, relatively simple stories that leave you wanting more. They're active and dynamic.

Wonder Woman and Superman dropped the ball. They spend most of the time wrangling with continuity, where characters stand in a room and soliloquize about who they are, and what they do, and so on and so forth. I mean, I'll give WW the edge, since there was a BIT of action near the end, but overall... these are superhero comics. More showing, less telling.

There's a time and place for meditations on the characters, but I don't think they're appropriate for new reader one shots. It's just not interesting devoid of context.

MartyStu

My biggest problem with WW Rebirth is just that... it's boring. I feel like the Rebirth books should be about - hey, this is what we're doing with this character. This is a taste of what's to come, this is why you should buy our book. Heroes being heroes, characters being characters.

Batman and Green Arrow nailed that - good character moments, a good rundown of the status quo, relatively simple stories that leave you wanting more. They're active and dynamic.

Wonder Woman and Superman dropped the ball. They spend most of the time wrangling with continuity, where characters stand in a room and soliloquize about who they are, and what they do, and so on and so forth. I mean, I'll give WW the edge, since there was a BIT of action near the end, but overall... these are superhero comics. More showing, less telling.

There's a time and place for meditations on the characters, but I don't think they're appropriate for new reader one shots. It's just not interesting devoid of context.

Well by that criteria--one I mostly agree with, even if I still like WW--most of the rebirth books fail pretty hard.

Even Batman in a way. And Superman fails because it is poorly written, ugly, pointless, and boring.

Titans Rebirth probably suffers the most though. That entire book could have been re-written into a handful of panels.

That said, I am glad that most of that transitional shit is being kept in the oneshots. The main books deserve not to get mired in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom