• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair,
I don't think normal razors could cut kryptonian beards. It has been that way since Byrne's run, it is a running thing that Clarke uses his heat vision to shave, it was explained that the mirror was a piece from his ship, that is why it does not melt. Another piece of nostalgia Rebirth shows for old readers.
And why we are spoiling this thing? 😄

Fair question. I spoiled marked a shaving scene in Green Arrow last week...gotta be consistent! :)

Im so torn on GLs. I love Jessica, but I hate Simon. I love their interaction being comedic but the writing comes off kinda poor. I mean it nails the voices good, Im okay with their dialogue being kinda stupid given their inexperience, but its a hard pill to swallow when all of the narration is in the same voices too, and half of it is Simons. All the Simon narration where he just says things like "blah blah whatever" just makes me roll my eyes like the writer isnt even trying. I understand its Simons voice but I just dont like it. I dont like him. I would enjoy the series more if all the narration was just done from Jessica's perspective with Simon just being a secondary character she has to deal with.

Im gonna pick up at least one or two more but idk if Ill continue.

I think I liked the titles on how well they tied into the the overall DCU as a whole. Green Arrow was amazing because in Rebirth, Olly and Canary had that awesome scene where they felt like they known each other. That book was about establishing their connection. Flash was pretty self explanatory on its connection to Rebirth. I really liked WW because I thought of it in terms of Rebirth and something out there is pulling the strings on these characters and they are realizing it so now they have to question who they really are. That's was Diana was doing the whole book and I thought that was smart.

Ok I'm in love.

5256261-0b+ga_cv1_open_order_var.jpg

So Ares, the last time I read WW he was some old guy but in Rebirth he looked like his old big and buff self, can he just change his form or do the gods look different again.

What I'm really asking is.......is Poseidon still a whale/octopus/walrus thing?

Yep, Neal Adams is still the best and him + Kevin Nowlan is absolute gold.
Adams' art is the only reason I've been reading The Coming of the Supermen miniseries. It's possibly the worst writing I've seen in a comic-book but his version of Superman just leaps off the page, it's gorgeous. I highly recommend it if you can withstand the writing, which is wonderfully hilarious in a Schumacher Batman & Robin way.

So Ares, the last time I read WW he was some old guy but in Rebirth he looked like his old big and buff self, can he just change his form or do the gods look different again.

Don't know about Poseidon but I think Ares can take whatever form he wants and that's a pretty common trait of the Greek gods in mythology. In the previous Rucka run on WW he looked like this :

shingi70

Banned
Haven't read everything yet but I've liked what I did read. Skimmed through Wondy and that seems like the weakest book of the bunch,

Has DC said what origin is being used for the DCEU Wonder Woman origin.

Don't know about Poseidon but I think Ares can take whatever form he wants and that's a pretty common trait of the Greek gods in mythology. In the previous Rucka run on WW he looked like this :

In mythology, yes. On DC comics, no. After Perez defined the classical look for the gods, their design stayed the same. On Rucka's run Ares just dropped his armor. The n52 gods design were completely different so it is a bug deal if they reverted.

shoreu

He died and was reborn as he younger self a few months ago.

Ross61

Both Action Comics and Detective Comics were amazing this week. Will definitely be following both. Now onto Flash, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman.

tim1138

Yeah, no question.

Speaking of
Emi, how old is she supposed to be now? Last time I saw her she seemed way younger.

In the handful of issues I read during the Panopticon arc, I'm pretty sure she was a teenager, maybe high school age? She should join the TT to be a foil for Damian.

In the handful of issues I read during the Panopticon arc, I'm pretty sure she was a teenager, maybe high school age? She should join the TT to be a foil for Damian.

Except
she IS Damian, just a little more self aware :p

And possibly older, I guess. It's weird, she looked like a kid during Lemire's introduction to her, and she still looked like a kid during the early post-Lemire stuff I read, and now she's not? Idk.

tim1138

Except
she IS Damian, just a little more self aware :p

And possibly older, I guess. It's weird, she looked like a kid during Lemire's introduction to her, and she still looked like a kid during the early post-Lemire stuff I read, and now she's not? Idk.

Which is why it would be fun. :D

I have no idea on her age, maybe they figured they could age her up a bit and no one would notice, hah

Is Liam Sharp staying on wonder woman indefinitely with this one? I don't know how long I can put up with Megan Fox Wonder Woman. She looks terrible in the last few pages of this issue.

I know it isn't Rebirth specific, but what a weird ass way to end Green Lantern Corps. That book was all over the place.

It was the same with the previous GL Corps mini-series, it felt like they had absoutely no idea where they were going with this. And yet, I still enjoyed both stories. The GL Corps has always been one of my favorite corners of the DCU but unfortunately the upcoming book is written by Venditti. I miss the Tomasi / Gleason days...

It was the same with the previous GL Corps mini-series, it felt like they had absoutely no idea where they were going with this. And yet, I still enjoyed both stories. The GL Corps has always been one of my favorite corners of the DCU but unfortunately the upcoming book is written by Venditti. I miss the Tomasi / Gleason days...

I liked the second arc because it had some small but better character stuff but I didn't care for the actual story. I wish they did more with the first story with Relic and the other dude and the people sucking up the lantern powers. That all just seemed to dropped for nothing with no clue what happened to the other people.

How did it end? I read the first issue but didn't keep up with it as I'm not a fan of Tom Taylor.

Two giant people ended up being giant cthulu like world eaters trying to devour the last sentient planet of the universe they were in. The planet sacrifices itself to hold the monsters down while the GL Corps escape, with the last city now joining OA, through some rift that they don't know where it goes. The end.

Baz went through it just before that and since we've already seen him in Rebirth I guess it just goes to the regular universe.

Aquaman was kinda disappointing. I like Abnett but it just seemed like a B grade rehash of the launch of Johns' run. Also, I think the character is in dire need of a redesign. His costume is just an orange shirt. At least Jim Lee's New 52 design gave him sideburns (that were abandoned the second a different artist drew him) to have some kind of distinguishing feature.

Wonder Woman...this seemed like it was fairly competently done, but I always find her kind of distant, I can never relate to the character. Even when writers give her vulnerability there's something rigid in her delivery of it that I can never connect with. And her back story, all that stuff with the Greek gods...it should be epic and compelling but it never grabs me. Dunno why.

Flash was decent enough. Seems like it'll shape up to be a good run.

Wonder Woman...this seemed like it was fairly competently done, but I always find her kind of distant, I can never relate to the character. Even when writers give her vulnerability there's something rigid in her delivery of it that I can never connect with. And her back story, all that stuff with the Greek gods...it should be epic and compelling but it never grabs me. Dunno why.

I would try both the original post-Crisis George Perez run and the Greg Rucka run at the end of Vol. 2 of Wonder Woman, both are great and really humanize her a lot.

ReiGun

I would try both the original post-Crisis George Perez run and the Greg Rucka run at the end of Vol. 2 of Wonder Woman, both are great and really humanize her a lot.

I think Gail's run was the best at humanizing Diana. It was one of Gail's main goals, if I remember.

Ross61

I wonder if they'll bring back Demon Knights or something like that since Etrigan is most likely being brought back to the forefront. We need more magic/sorcery based titles.

MartyStu

Hope you're not talking about Paquette's art in Rebirth #1 (rather than #1 proper), cause it looked fantastic.

Definitely referring to the series proper. And looking it it again, it is not just motion, but also spacial awareness.

The Rebirth art is good. Not great. Good.

Ross61

Nightwing art didn't "bad" too me.I kinda like it. I guess it's just my taste. Plus he's sharing duties with Marcus To.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom