• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

I really love the Nightwing art. Let's
Not pretend it's universally panned. :)

I am literally the only one I know complaining about Nightwing #1 and I did not speak for anyone.

Anyhow, this is what I am complaining about:

ntw-1-09-col-185638.jpg

And I am quite honestly not a big fan of Dick's face or proportions here:

These are not one off problems: all the preview images are...off. They would look much worse if the colorist was not doing such a solid job.

This all stands in really sharp contrast to the Rebirth title's pretty good art:

Apt101

I liked the Wonder Woman Rebirth, finished it a bit ago. Digging the new armor. It sets up a nice background plot going forward, which also makes it very clear that yes, it's not a reboot, and it always was.

Alienous

I am literally the only one I know complaining about Nightwing #1 and I did not speak for anyone.

Anyhow, this is what I am complaining about:

And I am quite honestly not a big fan of Dick's face or proportions here:

These are not one off problems: all the preview images are...off. They would look much worse if the colorist was not doing such a solid job.

This all stands in really sharp contrast to the Rebirth title's pretty good art:

Never read All-Star Superman. It will kill you.

MartyStu

Never read All-Star Superman. It will kill you.

I love All-Star Superman. Also loved Quitely's run on Batman and Robin: I generally enjoy his work.

I honestly hoped that they were putting primo talent on Nightwing. Javier Fernandez is trying, and maybe he will get better, but I would much rather had Paquette.

So I recently wanted to get into comic books with this rebirth going on in DC comics and all those books are sold out at the nearby comic shop.....I feel empty now lol. Are these books that scarce or am I an idiot for thinking I can find a book at anytime? I asked about pre-ordering a comic and was told not doing pre-orders.

Effect

I really hope they do something with the Wildstorm characters during Rebirth. They don't need their own books but make them supporting characters of other characters. Do something, anything but make them fodder to be killed off. Just don't ignore them.

kmfdmpig

Digital books on Comixology never run out, just saying.

This. If you have a tablet (it doesn't even need to be a top of the line tablet) then you can have a great experience with digital comics. Also, if they get you back into comics then you'll be able to save a fair amount taking advantage of digital sales, which often have great deals.

Otherwise, many of the Rebirth comics are getting additional printings, so they may become available again.

I really hope they do something with the Wildstorm characters during Rebirth. They don't need their own books but make them supporting characters of other characters. Do something, anything but make them fodder to be killed off. Just don't ignore them.

Midnighter is like an honorary Batfamily member now, he's not going anywhere. And he's also gotten back with Apollo, so he's probably good too.

Has there been any mention of the other kids from we are robin appearing in one of the bat books?
Sadly, no 😞

Adnor

Banned
Midnighter is like an honorary Batfamily member now, he's not going anywhere. And he's also gotten back with Apollo, so he's probably good too.

If Jason Todd can be a murderer and part of the Batfamily at the same time it makes sense to make Midnighter the cousin no one really likes.

Thanks just downloaded app and got batman and rebirth #1 thanks.

I'd say the vast majority of comics GAF (come join the thread!) are fully digital at this point. Comixology does crazy sales all the time, and the reading experience is great. If you have a larger tablet or use a laptop, you can go full screen. Guided view works great for smaller screens and phones.

Effect

Sadly, no 😞

Awesome. I didn't know that. I had heard they broke him and Apollo up but glad they put them back together.

Awesome. I didn't know that. I had heard they broke him and Apollo up but glad they put them back together.

Yeah, definitely read the Midnighter solo series that just wrapped, it was pretty fantastic, and I say that as someone with no real love for The Authority. Just great comics.

So this is my first big jump into following any sort of comics as they release. Read the main Rebirth and even if I didn't know 100% context for what was happening I still enjoyed it.

Going to follow Green Arrow and Flash to start with. Arrow cause it looked interesting and Flash cause I liked where it was going with him in Rebirth.

If I like those two, what else would you recommend? Comic books are so overwhelming to a newbie.

I love All-Star Superman. Also loved Quitely's run on Batman and Robin: I generally enjoy his work.

I honestly hoped that they were putting primo talent on Nightwing. Javier Fernandez is trying, and maybe he will get better, but I would much rather had Paquette.

Paquette isn't interested in doing monthly work any more. He only did six or seven issues a year on Swamp Thing. After Rebirth he'll go back to doing covers and the second volume of Earth One Wonder Woman.

Going to follow Green Arrow and Flash to start with. Arrow cause it looked interesting and Flash cause I liked where it was going with him in Rebirth.

If I like those two, what else would you recommend? Comic books are so overwhelming to a newbie.

Having read every Rebirth book so far, those two you've chosen are my favorites. Green Arrow was my favorite and is completely beginner friendly. Detective Comics is going to have Batman training a team and the first issue was fun. The main Batman book will have Tom King on writing duty, and while the Rebirth intro was boring and pointless, the first issue is promising.

I didn't feel Wonder Woman at all. Superman wasn't very good, although Action Comics was. Both Wonder and Superman are in the running for least beginner friendly books. Green Lanterns is also a nope for me.

Lots more Rebirth series on the horizon for July and August. Titans, Nightwing, and Justice League, among others.

Having read every Rebirth book so far, those two you've chosen are my favorites. Green Arrow was my favorite and is completely beginner friendly. Detective Comics is going to have Batman training a team and the first issue was fun. The main Batman book will have Tom King on writing duty, and while the Rebirth intro was boring and pointless, the first issue is promising.

I didn't feel Wonder Woman at all. Superman wasn't very good, although Action Comics was. Both Wonder and Superman are in the running for least beginner friendly books. Green Lanterns is also a nope for me.

Lots more Rebirth series on the horizon for July and August. Titans, Nightwing, and Justice League, among others.

So Detective == Batman, Action == Superman?

I liked the art in Wonder Woman, but the sample I read seemed very confusing.

I think I'll stick with the two I have so far and maybe try Detective, Titans and Justice League once they're out.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
For the first time ever, I'm actually interested in reading an Aquaman book. I really enjoyed his Rebirth title. Can't wait for some Black Manta shenanigans.

I think I'll stick with the two I have so far and maybe try Detective, Titans and Justice League once they're out.

Yeah, those are the anthology comics the two characters first appeared in and eventually consumed. Their own titles came later.

Shaanyboi

Banned

More like Detective = Bat Family

Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, Spoiler and Orphan. Oh and... uhh.. Clayface? I guess? For now?

For.the first time in
Forever I am looking forward to comic's day again.

Rebirth is that good.

I'm in a similar position. Short of picking up a few things like Return of Bruce Wayne, to determine if I wanted to dive in again I haven't really followed DC since Final Crisis. So far I'm fairly impressed. I do hope Batman #1 manages to impress me more than Batman Rebirth but 'Tec was excellent.

For the first time ever, I'm actually interested in reading an Aquaman book. I really enjoyed his Rebirth title. Can't wait for some Black Manta shenanigans.

You should read Geoff Johns' run that started New 52. The writing was better, the art was to die for, and his depiction of Black Manta was terrifying.

black-manta.jpg

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
You should read Geoff Johns' run that started New 52. The writing was better, the art was to die for, and his depiction of Black Manta was terrifying.

black-manta.jpg
I had planned to buy 1 or 2 volumes of his Nu52 run but never got around to it, especially after Rebirth was announced. Guess I'll check it out.

That's correct. Those titles spawned Batman and Superman, respectively. I would point out that Detective comics now seems to be focused on Batman training a new Bat team...somewhat similar to what Morrison did with his Batman Inc storyline.

The main Batman book looks like one of the most promising just because it's written by Tom King, and his recent work on Vision is superb. The main Superman book is a direct follow up to everything that happened near the end of his New 52 run, so it's not even remotely friendly to a new reader.

Wonder Woman is super confusing because Greg Rucka is trying to "correct" the discrepancies in her continuity. Basically, if you don't know a lot about her stories before and during the New 52 run, you will be as lost as I am. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Aquaman is a total mess. Every Aquaman story seems to begin with the writer apologizing for what a crap character he is, and this one was no different. Thanks, I'll pass. I realize the New 52 Johns run on the character is pretty well liked, but it's extremely difficult to get me interested in the concept of Aquaman.

I had planned to buy 1 or 2 volumes of his Nu52 run but never got around to it, especially after Rebirth was announced. Guess I'll check it out.

Full run is currently on sale on Comixology for a buck an issue. If you're interested in the physical books that won't do you much good, but I believe they actually come out cheaper than the trade volumes at this price point. Today is the last day of the sale, and it covers New 52 Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman. Last week's sale covered Supes, Batman, and Green Arrow.

DeathyBoy

Banned

black-manta.jpg

Only thing that annoyed me about Johns Aquaman is I never felt he added much of merit to Aquaman's canon. He added a shit load to Green Lantern and parts to Flash, but not a lot to Aquaman.

Only thing that annoyed me about Johns Aquaman is I never felt he added much of merit to Aquaman's canon. He added a shit load to Green Lantern and parts to Flash, but not a lot to Aquaman.

This might come across as contrarian (not the intent), but I can't think of much to add without changing the fundamental identity of the character. People have expanded on his undersea empire, governance, mythology, etc.

You're still left with a Poseidon knock off. How much someone enjoys Aquaman will be directly proportional to your tolerance for his inherent limitations as a character. There's a reason my most memorable issues all involve him...not in the ocean. Others may prefer to be aquatic stuff, but outside of creating some new villains, I'm not sure what else people expect.

Maybe dumping his ridiculously dated costume is a start.

Vyer

The Aquaman Rebirth issue was ok; didn't really cover much new ground and a lot of place setting. I do hope it continues to play up the political aspects of Arthur's reign. Mera's characterization threw me off a little considering what (admittedly little) I've read of her before. I'll give the regular series a few issues and see where it goes.

It was also a much shorter run (at least in comparison to GL) so that might have been part of the reason for not planting very many seeds.

Worth noting that Wondy will actually be alternating storylines, one current (correcting things, the whole stuff with her twin brother) and one acting as a Year One. That should be pretty new reader friendly, and will likely have better art as well.

He never really got around to it, tbh. There was that whole "Rise of the Seven Seas" thing, but now that he's off comics who knows when that'll happen?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Worth noting that Wondy will actually be alternating storylines, one current (correcting things, the whole stuff with her twin brother) and one acting as a Year One. That should be pretty new reader friendly, and will likely have better art as well.

He never really got around to it, tbh. There was that whole "Rise of the Seven Seas" thing, but now that he's off comics who knows when that'll happen?

He was on it longer than The Flash and...

... I know people dislike the 'Barry created the Speed Force' thing, but it changed the character and fuelled stories. Aquaman lacked a moment like that, or a moment like the Emotional Entities.

And it's not that I blame Johns, given he was originally going to start Aquaman with Throne of Atlantis until the New 52 demanded he reboot Aquaman. It's more that the run is very good, but feels like it misses that one Johns element that makes it a near definitive run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom