• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Arrow would make for awesome game if they would aproach it not so much as superhero game, but as hunting/survival one. Think Far Cry 3 with superhero elements.

The only reason a Superman game doesn't work is because Superman for some reason, makes people overthink game design.
This, through and through. Honestly, let's start with a Superman beat'em up and work up from there.

Rocksteady could make a good Superman game, assuming that they take the approach to Superman that they did to Batman and go "what does this character have to be translated into gameplay?" and work from there. Because that's EXACTLY what they did with Batman, and I'd say it turned out really, really well.
Arrow would make for awesome game if they would aproach it not so much as superhero game, but as hunting/survival one. Think Far Cry 3 with superhero elements.

I don't want to play that game, though. I see what you're getting at, but I'd much rather just play a GA skin of the Arkham series, if we get a GA game at all. Incorporate the more GA side of things into that type of game.

ZeroX03

Banned
If Green Arrow got a game, it would be Batman Arkham-lite with more projectile aiming. And you better believe he'd run out of arrows constantly as a gameplay mechanism. No thanks.

I love The Flash but fear he would have to have a huge city or cities to accommodate his massive speed and it wouldn't work with Rocksteady's immense attention to detail.

Something like Teen Titans would be really cool. Depending on the lineup they could be pretty grounded. Their youth and inexperience is a pretty good excuse to make sure they don't start the game overpowered and can improve over time like Batman to keep gameplay balanced.

...now I want that.

Dysun

Aside from Kemco, the original Atari, Taito and Blizzard Entertainment.
Should I list the companies that tried and failed to make a Batman game compelling before Rocksteady?

Making it an Arrow game instantly chops their Arkham audience in half, and that's generous. Bigger not smaller is going to be a publisher mandate

Joni

Should I list the companies that tried and failed to make a Batman game compelling before Rocksteady?

A Superman game doesn't work because nobody of note has tried to make one.

It is stupid to do that because it is not what you claimed in the first place. It also seems to fail to take into account a lot of companies tried and succeeded at making compelling Batman games before Rocksteady. Just to name a few: Traveller's Tales, Ubisoft, Sunsoft, Konami, Clockwork Tortoise, Kemco.

Making it an Arrow game instantly chops their Arkham audience in half, and that's generous. Bigger not smaller is going to be a publisher mandate
Superman is smaller than Batman. Batman is their biggest hero. Considering there is also no specific Superman movie coming, it would be weird to make a Superman exclusive game. If anything, publisher mandate should point at Suicide Squad. It might even behave like the LEGO Batman franchise where they placed Superman in a Batman game but didn't make a LEGO Superman game. So, Superman from Rocksteady doesn't seem like a given.

Penguin

There's a Flash reference in the game too! "RUN" to Keystone City. Which is associated more with Wally and Jay than Barry, although the game universe is closely related with the DCAU so that isn't surprising.

There's a ton of references

"Better the Batman than the one in Central City"

"Meta-humans are popping up all over the place Metropolis, Keystone, etc"

The random street thug banter is the best

Dysun

It is stupid to do that because it is not what you claimed in the first place. It also seems to fail to take into account a lot of companies tried and succeeded at making compelling Batman games before Rocksteady. Just to name a few: Traveller's Tales, Ubisoft, Sunsoft, Konami, Clockwork Tortoise, Kemco.

Superman is smaller than Batman. Batman is their biggest hero. Considering there is also no specific Superman movie coming, it would be weird to make a Superman exclusive game. If anything, publisher mandate should point at Suicide Squad. It might even behave like the LEGO Batman franchise where they placed Superman in a Batman game but didn't make a LEGO Superman game. So, Superman from Rocksteady doesn't seem like a given.

Hanging our hats on games like Batman Vengeance, Rise of Sin Tzu, and LEGO Batman games as compelling? At best they were mediocre licensed games that found a better reception because they had the titular character in it. Stretching it back to Genesis era beat em ups, well that's 20 years ago and hardly relevant to making a game now. Much like your previous point about "Aside from Kemco, the original Atari, Taito and Blizzard Entertainment." nobody of note has worked on the Superman IP in 15 years, which isn't what I initially wrote but seemed implied if we're going to bust balls over minutae. Superman is not inherently impossible to make a game around, that's just lazy.

Batman is the biggest dude in town but Rocksteady seem intent on moving on from that and the next biggest character available in their umbrella hasn't ever seen a great video game and is long over due. A team up is also an interesting possibility, they could test out ideas for other characters with a more familiar face taking center stage (Batman).
I've been under the impression that WB Montreal is handling Suicide Squad. That might be unveiled at some point next year to drum up interest with the movie launching as well in the same time-frame

Wiktor

Konami made an awesome Batman game in form of PC version of Batman Returns. In some ways it was more faithful to Batman comics than either the movie or Rocksteady games ever were.

ReiGun

All the references in Arkham Knight seem to be Rocksteady setting themselves up to expand beyond just Batman and into the rest of the DCU. Whether WB lets them pull that trigger remains to be seen, obviously.

I do think with all the movies and shows coming up, now's the perfect time for WB to start expanding into more DC games featuring single characters. I'd eat my hat if a Flash game hasn't been tossed around the offices a few times, for example.

I do think that rocksteady could make a legit Superman game, tho IT wouldn't play much like Arkham. What they did with Batman was sat down, figured out the essential aspects of the character, came up with a new way to translate those into game mechanics. Supes needs the same process.

ReiGun

I do think that rocksteady could make a legit Superman game, tho IT wouldn't play much like Arkham. What they did with Batman was sat down, figured out the essential aspects of the character, came up with a new way to translate those into game mechanics. Supes needs the same process.

Your avatar makes me sad that we'll probably never get a Blue Beetle game.

I suppose having him playable in Infinite Crisis was nice. :/

I know ;_;

It was good while it lasted.

Jaime is tricky 'cause of the (by definition) basically endless option set. The Scarab has a toy for every occasion. Good game design is built on limits, so...

tim1138

I know ;_;

Jaime is tricky 'cause of the (by definition) basically endless option set. The Scarab has a toy for every occasion. Good game design is built on limits, so...

He was playable in the Batman Brave and the Bold game WayForward did on the Wii.

ReiGun

I know ;_;

I'd do it as separate skill trees, letting players decide to level up and unlock new scarab abilities based on how they want to play. Gives a wealth of options and remains true to the character while within some reasonable game design limits.

He was playable in the Batman Brave and the Bold game WayForward did on the Wii.

I still need to get that.

I held out to the very end for him to get into Injustice. Even hoped for DLC. Alas...

tim1138

I'd do it as separate skill trees, letting players decide to level up and unlock new scarab abilities based on how they want to play. Gives a wealth of options and remains true to the character while within some reasonable game design limits.

I still need to get that.

I held out to the very end for him to get into Injustice. Even hoped for DLC. Alas...

It was a fun beat em up with a decent character roster to pick from. Nothing revolutionary, but a good time.

Xemnas89

So if not something like the flash I'd like to see Rocksteady tackle a lesser known DC character. Their recognition as the Arkham developers could help to boost the popularity of a lower tier DC hero. Really though there many directions they could go and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Joni

Hanging our hats on games like Batman Vengeance, Rise of Sin Tzu, and LEGO Batman games as compelling? At best they were mediocre licensed games that found a better reception because they had the titular character in it.
Batman Vengeance was a good game as was LEGO Batman,

Stretching it back to Genesis era beat em ups, well that's 20 years ago and hardly relevant to making a game now.
Moving goalposts...

Much like your previous point about "Aside from Kemco, the original Atari, Taito and Blizzard Entertainment." nobody of note has worked on the Superman IP in 15 years, which isn't what I initially wrote but seemed implied if we're going to bust balls over minutae. Superman is not inherently impossible to make a game around, that's just lazy.
That is like saying nobody of note made Batman movies before Nolan. But okay, Electronic Arts also made a Superman game in that period. This terrible game was released in 2006. EA is a lot bigger fish than handing off Batman to the dudes that made Urban Chaos: Riot Response and a publisher that was virtually bankrupt. The same can be said about Factor 5 whose Superman game got canned. Double Helix also tried to make one who were certainly in the same leagues as Urban Chaos.

Batman is the biggest dude in town but Rocksteady seem intent on moving on from that and the next biggest character available in their umbrella hasn't ever seen a great video game and is long over due.
But who by his very nature is the most difficult character to design a game for as he should have no problem defeating bad guys and has a wide range of powers he should have access to to be a good version of it.

So if not something like the flash I'd like to see Rocksteady tackle a lesser known DC character. Their recognition as the Arkham developers could help to boost the popularity of a lower tier DC hero. Really though there many directions they could go and I can't wait to see what they do next.
Too bad they didn't make that Ninja Turtles game.

I just said that...
This, through and through. Honestly, let's start with a Superman beat'em up and work up from there.

Rocksteady could make a good Superman game, assuming that they take the approach to Superman that they did to Batman and go "what does this character have to be translated into gameplay?" and work from there. Because that's EXACTLY what they did with Batman, and I'd say it turned out really, really well

Hey though, at least we got Bane, Barbara Gordon Batgirl, and Scorpion. You know, those characters we all wanted in our DCU fighting game.

I just said that...

Hey though, at least we got Bane, Barbara Gordon Batgirl, and Scorpion. You know, those characters we all wanted in our DCU fighting game.

Whoops, was posting on my phone, must have missed that.

And yeah, no Jaime in Injustice was... uh, an Injustice. Apparently the producer had never heard of him ;_;

Whoops, was posting on my phone, must have missed that.

And yeah, no Jaime in Injustice was... uh, an Injustice. Apparently the producer had never heard of him ;_;

That roster was a bit lacking. Why some of those characters are there was beyond me. Like, Killer Frost and Raven? Sick. Batgirl and Bane? Why?

ReiGun

That roster was a bit lacking. Why some of those characters are there was beyond me. Like, Killer Frost and Raven? Sick. Batgirl and Bane? Why?

Blue Beetle and Circe were my two longshot characters. I was cool with them not getting in, but to see fucking Bane and Scorpion? Breh...

ZeroX03

Banned
"I'd rather take over Gotham than Keystone, at least you can see Batman coming!"

and people questioning why Bane is in Injustice

for real?

Blue Beetle and Circe were my two longshot characters. I was cool with them not getting in, but to see fucking Bane and Scorpion? Breh...
At least we got a WW villain at all in that game.
"I'd rather take over Gotham than Keystone, at least you can see Batman coming!"

and people questioning why Bane is in Injustice

for real?

It's because of TDKR. It doesn't excuse my sheer disappointment at him, Batgirl, Scorpion, and Doomsday being put in that fucking game.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's because of TDKR. It doesn't excuse my sheer disappointment at him, Batgirl, Scorpion, and Doomsday being put in that fucking game.

Bane's more popular than half the cast and is a pretty distinctive brawler in a fighting game. Makes sense to me.

Like Killer Frost? Who was clamoring for her? She's a C-list Firestorm villain that gets promoted because DC sorely lacks recognizable female villains and she's got a distinct look and power set.

ZeroX03

Banned
Scorpion was the only major offender in Injustice. Had no place as a paid guest character, just a quickie port.

8/30 of the cast being Batman centric was pushing it but I didn't find it overly annoying.

Wiktor

Scorpion was the only major offender in Injustice. Had no place as a paid guest character, just a quickie port.

8/30 of the cast being Batman centric was pushing it but I didn't find it overly annoying.

Batman isn't like every other hero anyway. He's bassicaly his own superhero universe that just happens to exist inside DC one. Kind of like magical side.

Penguin

This is kind of cool

CIw3HE-XAAAJpLv.jpg

Injustice 2 could be interesting. By the time that happens, WB will be pushing Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow, which could lead to some different character choices.

Joni

Gotham really stands out like a sore thumb. Three supehero shows and then a cop cover. Even the way the cover is made is different with at least four actors amongst the comics, compared to the others where the main character is the only actor on the cover.

Wiktor

Gotham really stands out like a sore thumb. Three supehero shows and then a cop cover. Even the way the cover is made is different with at least four actors amongst the comics, compared to the others where the main character is the only actor on the cover.

The way Gordon is progressing Gotham doesn't need superheroes. He's halfway to John Wick already :D

ZeroX03

Banned

Suspected as much for Oliver.

Looks like they cast an actress who could play the part in live action as well. Also confirms the actors will be voicing their characters, it was always assumed but I don't think they confirmed that when the show was announced.

So yet another show I'm probably going to be watching that this dude is going to be in, that's three freakin' seasons in a row.

The Returned was cancelled wasn't it?

Well they cast well.

She is CW hot and could totally play her in live-action, if/when they decide to pursue that

Well, she does have a history with the WB/CW. I remember her mainly from That 70's Show and The 4400.

Part of the plan, Guggenheim says, is "reconstituting" the show, lightening things up a bit and revealing the new green-hooded vigilante tasked with saving Starling City.

Thank fucking god. Season 3 was like Batman levels of brooding, without the stoicism and a lot more angst.

Thank fucking god. Season 3 was like Batman levels of brooding, without the stoicism and a lot more angst.

Truth. I don't mind brooding or angst. If it facilitates the development of strong characters then so be it. Considering the theme of S3 seemed (to me at least) to be "identity crisis" (not the event), then it made sense for that to occur. Especially considering the overall darker tone of the season, but I do agree that it felt like far too much in that direction.

Holy crap, that's one hell of a beard.

And how much the guy looks like Stephen Amell with it.

Looking forward to seeing some blurry, vertical-video teasers coming out of Hall H next weekend.

I'm not sure they'll have anything for Arrow, Flash or LoH since at least in Arrow and Flash's cases I believe they don't start filming until after Comic Con. But I guess some kind of teaser like last year could still be possible even though Comic Con is a couple weeks earlier than 2014.

Holy crap, that's one hell of a beard.

Gotta be a flashback beard. He had one like that when he was rescued from the island.

Either that, or its for another project.

Or Ollie has let himself go since hanging up the hood and Olicity ended off-screen.

EDIT: Or it's just a lookalike. Nevermind

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DC/Flash GAF I need a favor, the OT's closed so this is the only place I can ask.

Can someone provide a clear 720p/1080p version of this shot, below was taken from youtube and has pretty bad artifacting. I need a clear one for wallpaper reasons.

ZeroX03

Banned
DC/Flash GAF I need a favor, the OT's closed so this is the only place I can ask.

Can someone provide a clear 720p/1080p version of this shot, below was taken from youtube and has pretty bad artifacting. I need a clear one for wallpaper reasons.

Just download the HD version from iTunes?

Ollie getting a new costume, hmmmmmn. HYPE!

I wouldn't get too excited until they actually show it. His suit was "upgraded" last season and it was barely noticeable. I think at best it'll be similar to the Arsenal/Speedy suit but I wouldn't be surprised if not that different as the old one just with the hood being not being Shado's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom