• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course he is playing Barry Allen. With Geoff Johns still in charge of stuff we can't have another Flash headlining anything.

I feel bad taking potshots at Johns for his Silver Age love when the guy really did write one of Wally's strongest runs.

The problem is that the first modern comic Johns seriously started reading with Crisis on Infinite Earths which led to Barry's death and it clearly stuck with him for a long time and he can't move past it. Of course in 10-20 years time we'll have a Wally fanboy who grew up on Waid and Johns' work in charge and Barry will get the shaft.

I feel bad taking potshots at Johns for his Silver Age love when the guy really did write one of Wally's strongest runs.

The problem is that the first modern comic Johns seriously started reading with Crisis on Infinite Earths which led to Barry's death and it clearly stuck with him for a long time and he can't move past it. Of course in 10-20 years time we'll have a Wally fanboy who grew up on Waid and Johns' work in charge and Barry will get the shaft.

True.

But no matter how awesome Johns' run on Green Lantern and Flash were, I got really tired of his fan wankery for Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. It was especially bad for Hal during the lead up and finale of Blackest Night.

Yes, Geoff. We get it. Hal is the most special and most interesting Lantern ever. Yes, we know you needed to prove that by breaking Kyle Rayner down in only a couple of pages and eventually having Hal wield nearly every ring color.

Wiktor

Ironside always getting that work. I'm sure he'll do a stellar job. They're continuing with the Rogue puns too.

If there's a time and place to bring in Constantine it's now, I'm holding out hope. Would be very weird to crossover a character from a cancelled show but if he became recurring that'd be cool. Adrian plz respond

I'm game for that. I liked the show and loved Ryan's take on Constanine. Plus the vastly superior magical/mistic side is the main reason why I prefer DC over Marvel. I really need a magical Arrowverse show on CW.

True.

But no matter how awesome Johns' run on Green Lantern and Flash were, I got really tired of his fan wankery for Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. It was especially bad for Hal during the lead up and finale of Blackest Night.

Yes, Geoff. We get it. Hal is the most special and most interesting Lantern ever. Yes, we know you needed to prove that by breaking Kyle Rayner down in only a couple of pages and eventually having Hal wield nearly every ring color.

I was happy Johns brought Hal back, but two things I really disliked:

1) Playing up the military/jock/manly-man angle. In the actual Silver Age, Hal was really introspective and thoughtful.

2) Continuing the "greatest GL evar" nonsense. Again in the actual Silver Age, they resisted making Hal that far out of the ordinary for the longest time. He was only occasionally made out to be special snowflake status, whereas most of the time the impression was that he was just another Corpsman. His "specialness" only rally came from him being a bit of a problem child.

I realize #1 is more popular, and that the reserved personality of a silver-age character can be considered boring to some-- but Johns actually *made* him boring.

#2 is pretty hard for writers to resist, but Johns just gave in to it completely. To be fair, this was done constantly with Kyle to try to legitimize him to some fans, and it's kinda what GL books have become.

Sou Da

1) Playing up the military/jock/manly-man angle. In the actual Silver Age, Hal was really introspective and thoughtful.

Eh I liked it. It makes interactions with Guy the most over the top homoerotic Top-Gun esque shit ever, it's entertaining.

Also establishing parallel universes in The Flash tv show should make Ezra playing Barry incredibly easy to swallow for casual audiences. This would make him the 3rd Flash from another universe.

Eh I liked it. It makes interactions with Guy the most over the top homoerotic Top-Gun esque shit ever, it's entertaining.

Also establishing parallel universes in The Flash tv show should make Ezra playing Barry incredibly easy to swallow for casual audiences. This would make him the 3rd Flash from another universe.

Hal was my favorite character growing up. Gerard Jones altered him somewhat, JOhns went full-on with that.

Guy's jock-ness was always in contrast with Hal, not in competition with him.

Darwyn Cooke got him exactly right in New Frontier.

2) Continuing the "greatest GL evar" nonsense. Again in the actual Silver Age, they resisted making Hal that far out of the ordinary for the longest time. He was only occasionally made out to be special snowflake status, whereas most of the time the impression was that he was just another Corpsman. His "specialness" only rally came from him being a bit of a problem child.

I realize #1 is more popular, and that the reserved personality of a silver-age character can be considered boring to some-- but Johns actually *made* him boring.

#2 is pretty hard for writers to resist, but Johns just gave in to it completely. To be fair, this was done constantly with Kyle to try to legitimize him to some fans, and it's kinda what GL books have become.

I did appreciate Johns bringing Hal back. And I did like the retcon he did of Parallax and Hal being possessed by it. It was just over the years where it started to grow thin with the Hal worship. At least we had the GL Corps monthly for a fix of other Lanterns.

Penguin

Looks like we're getting Atom Smasher and he is being played by Edge from WWE

https://twitter.com/ComicBookdotcom/status/621744597581082625

CKDhap-WcAAnICx.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Al Rothstein was one of the names Wells mentioned having died in the particle accelerator accident.

This incarnation appears to be a villain too.

Terrific. Even though I've grown fond of The Atom, I still wish it was him in the first place. Always preferred JSA to JLI, sorry Ted Kord but it's the (sexy young CW) old timers time to shine!

It always felt like Palmer's role was written either for Ted or Terrific, which is what bugs me so much about that character in the show.

Did you all see these two audition tapes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drrao4qcpmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DYvMszNZO4

Seems like it could match up with Atom Smasher.

Do all CW auditions start with the actor's shirt off :|.

One is suppose to be with Barry and the other Caitlyn.

Basically looks like he can't control his powers, and he doesn't like having them. Doesn't explain the mask though. The age difference seems to make sense with him calling Barry a kid. Also already hitting on Caitlyn.

TraBuch

Banned
I've watched seven episodes of The Flash and his power is starting to bug me. Some things just feel so inconsistent. There was a scene in the first episode or two where he confessed to Iris while speeding around and she was completely frozen the entire time. Every other time he speeds around, people are still moving slowly. Then you've got fights where he gets beaten up. How does he ever possibly get hit? Especially against that iron dude. He was just a normal guy minus the metal aspect, how could Barry ever possibly get his ass kicked so badly? It's like he's consciously deciding not to use his speed at times.

I'll get over it but ugh, it's annoying me right now.

Also, Iris is basically a combination of Smallville Lois Lane and Chloe Sullivan, right? Please tell me it won't take four years for her to figure out who The Flash is like it took them.

Did you all see these two audition tapes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drrao4qcpmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DYvMszNZO4

Seems like it could match up with Atom Smasher.

Do all CW auditions start with the actor's shirt off :|.

One is suppose to be with Barry and the other Caitlyn.

Basically looks like he can't control his powers, and he doesn't like having them. Doesn't explain the mask though. The age difference seems to make sense with him calling Barry a kid. Also already hitting on Caitlyn.

There's also speculation he could be Hawkman, which would be a neat callback, since Carter Hall and Jay Garrick shared a book back in the Golden Age.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is it just me or is it becoming increasingly more obvious that they're getting around the whole "can't use the Justice League because movies" thing by giving us the JSA instead? And I'm totally cool with that.

Ted Grant, Hawkman, Mr Terrific, Hawkgirl, Jay Garrick, Atom Smasher and all the talk of Earth 2.

Wiktor

Is it just me or is it becoming increasingly more obvious that they're getting around the whole "can't use the Justice League because movies" thing by giving us the JSA instead? And I'm totally cool with that.

Ted Grant, Hawkman, Mr Terrific, Hawkgirl, Jay Garrick, Atom Smasher and all the talk of Earth 2.

If there's similiar "can't use the Justice League Dark" ban then I hope they will go for Trenchcoat Brigade. :)

Think deeper.

First major book Johns wrote at DC?

1.jpg

That's actually the Vol. 3 cover, when Johns' first real issue was on Vol. 2, #5, but you get the idea.

ZeroX03

Banned
Think deeper.

First major book Johns wrote at DC?

1.jpg

That's actually the Vol. 3 cover, when Johns' first real issue was on Vol. 2, #5, but you get the idea.

I was going to mention how surprised I am we haven't seen Stargirl yet. I guess she doesn't quite fit either show, but she's Johns' baby.

I've watched seven episodes of The Flash and his power is starting to bug me. Some things just feel so inconsistent. There was a scene in the first episode or two where he confessed to Iris while speeding around and she was completely frozen the entire time. Every other time he speeds around, people are still moving slowly. Then you've got fights where he gets beaten up. How does he ever possibly get hit? Especially against that iron dude. He was just a normal guy minus the metal aspect, how could Barry ever possibly get his ass kicked so badly? It's like he's consciously deciding not to use his speed at times.

I'll get over it but ugh, it's annoying me right now.

Also, Iris is basically a combination of Smallville Lois Lane and Chloe Sullivan, right? Please tell me it won't take four years for her to figure out who The Flash is like it took them.
Iris is useless within the show until about the last 5 episodes.

And if the speed pisses you off now, oh lawd wait for an episode near the end. It'll bee beautiful.

Liberty Belle, Jay, and Barry team up to beat Zoom...

There's also speculation he could be Hawkman, which would be a neat callback, since Carter Hall and Jay Garrick shared a book back in the Golden Age.

Certainly fits in with the "kid" remarks.

I think that's what's happening, especially if Johns has any sort of direction. I want to see Stargirl and Alan Scott the most. Curious if they'll hand down the wildcat mantle as well, or if the wildcat in Arrow had an older mentor that was a champ.

tim1138

Hopefully when Stargirl shows up, she looks a bit better then she did on Smallville.
I'd ditch the crop top and bike shorts look for the full body suit she has in the Justice League United comic

Saw a connection onf FlashTVNews that I didn't realize before.

Ironside played General Lane on Smallville.

Peyton List played Lucy Lane on Smallville. She p;ays Lisa Snart on Flash.

Michael Ironside can't stop playing Peyton List's comic book dad.

In other news, the Flash VFX team is nominated for an Emmy for "Grodd Lives"

http://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-gets-an-emmy-nomination/20926

Haven't been keeping up with the topic? ;) I mentioned the Ironside thing a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom