• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
I found this on Reddit a while back. I enjoyed reading it and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

My name is Eric Burns-White, and I have almost always hated Barry Allen.

Despite the title, things are
ok
in the end.

That was a stimulating article since I don't get into the comics much. He's right about why Flash is so good. The one thing that bothers me about this article which is something that has bothered me since growing up in the 90s is when people describe such characters as having zero personality.

Willing to do good and caring is personality.

While Flash certainly had an incredible year if we're going simply by which character showed the people that DC is not just the Trinity then its Green Arrow. Without Arrows success we wouldn't have all these shows we have today. He was basically the first DC success story apart from the trinity.

The article really is about Flash's importance to comic books in general, and not as much about the TV show. It is a rather good read.

Flash is pretty important in the DC universe, but I wouldn't call him the most important in story. Superman is always a central character in like every event. Kingdom Come (DC's "Official" non canon ending) features him prominently and Final Crisis basically establishes him as the ultimate representation of good. DC will always elevate him above other heroes, which can be annoying. Flashpoint was definitely Flash's event, though Batman hogged a lot of the spotlight.

Legends of Tomorrow sounds neato but I was really hoping for the JSA when they introduced Wildcat into Arrow. Seems like they were building up to that considering the roster. JSA would be a great parallel to movie JLA.

Now with Constantine's status unknown, I really want to know if we'll ever see Dr. Fate, Spectre or Swamp Thing in Arrowverse. DC/WB's plan for tv and movies seems sketchy, I'd like to think they're able to use anyone with Superman being name dropped in Supergirl, but then the
Removal of suicide squad
in Arrow seems odd. That and I don't think they're allowed to use Ted Kord.

Flash is pretty important in the DC universe, but I wouldn't call him the most important in story. Superman is always a central character in like every event. Kingdom Come (DC's "Official" non canon ending) features him prominently and Final Crisis basically establishes him as the ultimate representation of good. DC will always elevate him above other heroes, which can be annoying. Flashpoint was definitely Flash's event, though Batman hogged a lot of the spotlight.

Legends of Tomorrow sounds neato but I was really hoping for the JSA when they introduced Wildcat into Arrow. Seems like they were building up to that considering the roster. JSA would be a great parallel to movie JLA.

Now with Constantine's status unknown, I really want to know if we'll ever see Dr. Fate, Spectre or Swamp Thing in Arrowverse. DC/WB's plan for tv and movies seems sketchy, I'd like to think they're able to use anyone with Superman being name dropped in Supergirl, but then the
Removal of suicide squad

This post makes me sad, because as a hardcore Swamp-Thing fan, I know how doable he would have been even on a CW budget, and how cool it would be to introduce mystical forces like "The Green" into a world that is also learning about things like Speed Force.

A somber, and even trippy take on ST, like Alan Moore's legendary run would've been incredible as another corner of the Berlanti DC/Arroverse.

Joni

Removal of suicide squad

But they work a lot around namedropping him, she is 'his' cousin, not Superman's cousin.

Magwik

Banned
So it doesn't get much talk but I actually really liked what they have done with Ray Palmer. They pretty much made the Atom more interesting than he should be as will as with him shrinking and keeping the iron man suit he basically is two heroes in one. I love it for some reason.

But they work a lot around namedropping him, she is 'his' cousin, not Superman's cousin.

Haven't watched the pilot yet but it sounds like people mention him enough that it would be annoying to not have him on there. I'd like it best if they kept elements of his mythos but he wasn't mentioned, similar to how Arrows used Ra's. Not that I hate Superman, just that DC should promote their other characters.

This post makes me sad, because as a hardcore Swamp-Thing fan, I know how doable he would have been even on a CW budget, and how cool it would be to introduce mystical forces like "The Green" into a world that is also learning about things like Speed Force.

A somber, and even trippy take on ST, like Alan Moore's legendary run would've been incredible as another corner of the Berlanti DC/Arroverse.

A swamp thing show based on around Moore's run would be great. I think the upcoming Vixen show will canonize the red in the arrowverse, iirc that's how all animal heroes work now. And you can't have the red without the green and grey because they all rely off each other.

Now with Constantine's status unknown, I really want to know if we'll ever see Dr. Fate, Spectre or Swamp Thing in Arrowverse

Gugenheim made some reference to magic in a Variety article in march, saying they saw it as more of a fit for Arrow, while Flash would be sciency in the superpower area.

Gugenheim made some reference to magic in a Variety article in march, saying they saw it as more of a fit for Arrow, while Flash would be sciency in the superpower area.

inb4 Ollie x Zatanna.

Makes sense with Nanda Parbat and all that. DC magic seems to have a darker tone to it as well that probably wouldn't fit so well with Flash.

Chilikar

It is also used to support author-driven works, iZombie is not an R-Rated work, it is not even close.

Haha sorry for the confusion, when I was talking about R-Rated I was thinking more about Constantine than iZombie. But I was just skimming through the Vertigo Wikipedia so I can't exactly claim I know much about their work

Highly. The pilot was really good, and it's picked up considerably from there. The last two episodes in particular have been incredible.

Great, I'm definitely going to check it out along with Constantine. I was pretty skeptical when I first saw the trailer since these zombie shows aren't exactly my cup of tea

Joni

Haha sorry for the confusion, when I was talking about R-Rated I was thinking more about Constantine than iZombie. But I was just skimming through the Vertigo Wikipedia so I can't exactly claim I know much about their work
He has been moved back to the regular DC universe, no?

Chilikar

He has been moved back to the regular DC universe, no?

Sorry, the Wikipedia does say that Hellblazer was moved into the DC universe under the title Constantine. Man, I really need to learn more about DC comics.

The Supergirl pilot was so so so so disappointing, especially after that great trailer. I am thinking I am skipping that one come fall for now.

I'm just wondering, what part of the pilot were you disappointed in? I personally thought it was pretty great

Wiktor

Removal of suicide squad

I'm still hoping Constantine will survive somewhere. But if it doesn't then I hope it means the rights to mystical side will be avaible to CW. I think Books of Magic show that's tied into Arrowverse would do crazy good there.

Also..they didn't remove
Suicide Squad, just Deadshot. Probably something to do with Will Smith
. Ted Kord was weird though. I actually wonder if it wasn't because they're pushing Jaime Reye as Blue Beetle.

Joni

Sorry, the Wikipedia does say that Hellblazer was moved into the DC universe under the title Constantine. Man, I really need to learn more about DC comics.
No problem, I only know it because I was looking up iZombie a while ago. We're all superfriends here.

Ted Kord was weird though. I actually wonder if it wasn't because they're pushing Jaime Reye as Blue Beetle.
Especially because season 1 and 2 are clearly building to Kord, with the mentions.

So it doesn't get much talk but I actually really liked what they have done with Ray Palmer. They pretty much made the Atom more interesting than he should be as will as with him shrinking and keeping the iron man suit he basically is two heroes in one. I love it for some reason.

It upsets me that it wasn't just Ted Kord. Otherwise, he's fine. I don't particularly dig it, but he's fine. He's an entertaining character and brought levity to an otherwise dreary tone in S3.

I'm still hoping Constantine will survive somewhere. But if it doesn't then I hope it means the rights to mystical side will be avaible to CW. I think Books of Magic show that's tied into Arrowverse would do crazy good there.

Also..they didn't remove
Suicide Squad, just Deadshot. Probably something to do with Will Smith
. Ted Kord was weird though. I actually wonder if it wasn't because they're pushing Jaime Reye as Blue Beetle.

I wish.

But from what I can tell, between Cyborg in the DCCU JL and Johns love for all things Silver Age, it's probably because they're setting up Ted Kord as the Blue Beetle, probably on the big screen at some point.

I wish.

But from what I can tell, between Cyborg in the DCCU JL and Johns love for all things Silver Age, it's probably because they're setting up Ted Kord as the Blue Beetle, probably on the big screen at some point.

It's a shame what happened with Jaime. The book was great, but tanked due to being too close to Ted's death. Then they tried making it grimdark in the New 52 and lost the magic.

If the book can't support Jaime's little sister giving an alien army a "you're f&#$ed" look while Guy Gardner has her back, then the tone is all wrong for a Jaime Reyes book.

It's a shame what happened with Jaime. The book was great, but tanked due to being too close to Ted's death. Then they tried making it grimdark in the New 52 and lost the magic.

If the book can't support Jaime's little sister giving an alien army a "you're f&#$ed" look while Guy Gardner has her back, then the tone is all wrong for a Jaime Reyes book.

Exactly! God, that book was so good. I gotta give props to DC editorial for letting it continue despite the sales.

But then the New 52 book happened, and it was just all wrong. And when it was finally starting to get right, finally brining in the supporting cast that made the original series great, they boot him into space and he's never heard from again.

Xemnas89

It upsets me that it wasn't just Ted Kord. Otherwise, he's fine. I don't particularly dig it, but he's fine. He's an entertaining character and brought levity to an otherwise dreary tone in S3.

It was supposed to be Ted Kord correct? Shame they were told they couldn't use him.

Sober

While Flash certainly had an incredible year if we're going simply by which character showed the people that DC is not just the Trinity then its Green Arrow. Without Arrows success we wouldn't have all these shows we have today. He was basically the first DC success story apart from the trinity.
Didn't you hear? Arrow is dead, left to rot. It had a bad season and the fans have now abandoned it, squandered all its goodwill, etc. Arrow is now irredeemable garbage, worse than all the bad parts of Superman Returns and Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Returns combined, shouldn't have been renewed, what were they thinking, not even The Flash could save that season if he changed time, etc.

Didn't you hear? Arrow is dead, left to rot. It had a bad season and the fans have now abandoned it, squandered all its goodwill, etc. Arrow is now irredeemable garbage, worse than all the bad parts of Superman Returns and Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Returns combined, shouldn't have been renewed, what were they thinking, not even The Flash could save that season if he changed time, etc.

So what you are saying is that Arrow failed this city?

I wish.

Cyborg's getting a movie. I keep forgetting that Cyborg's getting a movie.

Cyborg's getting a movie.

I need to see this

Xemnas89

So about the flash finale
I though it was fantastic but was anyone else a little disappointed that we didn't get a longer fight with the reverse flash? The little bit they had there was good but I feel like it should've been bigger since that's likely the last time we'll See RF for the foreseeable future. I still feel like episode nine had the best reverse flash fight. I understand though that the finale was more about Barry's decision to go back in time to the night his mom died and it was all fantastic to me and the way he punched through the time sphere was awesome.

I need to see this

Blue_Beetle_25_07.jpg

She's also a Wozzly in training.

992132-0017702b.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
So about the flash finale
I though it was fantastic but was anyone else a little disappointed that we didn't get a longer fight with the reverse flash? The little bit they had there was good but I feel like it should've been bigger since that's likely the last time we'll See RF for the foreseeable future. I still feel like episode nine had the best reverse flash fight. I understand though that the finale was more about Barry's decision to go back in time to the night his mom died and it was all fantastic to me and the way he punched through the time sphere was awesome.

We already had the fight last episode. Barry can't beat the Reverse Flash in a fight solo so it makes sense that they don't have a drawn out battle. It would just be an expensive retread of ep9. The episode was already over stuffed.

Plus if this picture is any indication, Barry and the Reverse Fight will be fighting again and Barry will win through extreme measures.

Xemnas89

We already had the fight last episode. Barry can't beat the Reverse Flash in a fight solo so it makes sense that they don't have a drawn out battle. It would just be an expensive retread of ep9. The episode was already over stuffed.

Plus if this picture is any indication, Barry and the Reverse Fight will be fighting again and Barry will win through extreme measures.

Yeah I guess so. I think I'm just conditioned to expect a big final battle between hero and villain in Superhero movies and television. In regards to that pic hasn't the future kind of been completely rewritten now?

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah I guess so. I think I'm just conditioned to expect a big final battle between hero and villain in Superhero movies and television. In regards to that pic hasn't the future kind of been completely rewritten now?

Look how well the big final battle went for Daredevil. Sometimes it's good not to give in to that trope.

Future may not be set but it's a big hint. Like Killer Frost, of course that's going to happen.

Xemnas89

Look how well the big final battle went for Daredevil. Sometimes it's good not to give in to that trope.

Future may not be set but it's a big hint. Like Killer Frost, of course that's going to happen.

Yeah that's an unfortunate truth. The final battle in Daredevil was pretty lackluster and really not a great way to end the season.

You know I've actually taken a look at the final fights from season 1, 2, and 3 of Arrow and they never really last long either. I don't think any of them really last longer than 2 minutes. They never really drag them out to ridiculous lengths. The final fight with slade seems to be about as long as the fight at the end of Rogue Air.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah that's an unfortunate truth. The final battle in Daredevil was pretty lackluster and really not a great way to end the season.

You know I've actually taken a look at the final fights from season 1, 2, and 3 of Arrow and they never really last long either. I don't think any of them really last longer than 2 minutes. They never really drag them out to ridiculous lengths. The final fight with slade seems to be about as long as the fight at the end of Rogue Air.

At the end of the day, they're putting resolving the emotional stakes over flashy action sequences and that's probably a good thing. Tommy and Eddie's deaths are far more important, really.

Arrow S1 and S2 had awesome final fights. I've just accepted that Rogue Air is their final battle episode. The Rogues actually beating Barry was fun too.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I had no idea that iZombie was based off a comic book, haven't really heard any buzz about it either...

Is Gotham good? It seems to have a completely different tone compared to Arrow and Flash. Would I enjoy it??

Xemnas89

At the end of the day, they're putting resolving the emotional stakes over flashy action sequences and that's probably a good thing. Tommy and Eddie's deaths are far more important, really.

Arrow S1 and S2 had awesome final fights. I've just accepted that Rogue Air is their final battle episode. The Rogues actually beating Barry was fun too.

Yeah Rogue Air really is. It's also the moment where Barry realizes he can't beat Wells alone. He needs the experience of Oliver to override the experience of Wells and he needs Ronnie for that surprise firepower. Not one person in that group could've stood a chance by themselves. Ronnie got blown away, Barry always loses to him, and Oliver would've been dead after the first arrow wore off. Very nice to see they all needed each other in that fight.

zulux21

I had no idea that iZombie was based off a comic book, haven't really heard any buzz about it either...

Is Gotham good? It seems to have a completely different tone compared to Arrow and Flash. Would I enjoy it??

Izombie is based off a comic book like the mighty ducks cartoon is based off the live action hockey movies :/

I haven't read much of the izombie comic but it is absolutely nothing like the tv show through the first few chapters.

In the comic she
is a grave digger and her best friend is a ghost.

Yeah Rogue Air really is. It's also the moment where Barry realizes he can't beat Wells alone. He needs the experience of Oliver to override the experience of Wells and he needs Ronnie for that surprise firepower. Not one person in that group could've stood a chance by themselves. Ronnie got blown away, Barry always loses to him, and Oliver would've been dead after the first arrow wore off. Very nice to see they all needed each other in that fight.

that entire group didn't beat the RF though,
he let them win. (especially since he easily could have killed oliver like 20 times lol)

It wasn't a last ditch play in the cage to try to get barry to do what he wanted, that was his plan from the start as that was the only way barry would remotely listen to what he wanted to have done.

His original plan was likely to just continue to pretend to be his mentor and get him to go save his mom naturally, but once that was discovered he had to play the role of a villain a bit, and then get caught to try to convince barry to do what he wanted. I am willing to bet that if he wanted to he could have vibrated out of the cage.

What do you mean?

ZeroX03

Banned
What do you mean?

Eobard kills Iris. Eventually Barry moves on, and Eobard threatens to kill his new fiancee. Distraught Barry snaps his neck and goes to trial over it. In the comics, if that wasn't clear.

His original plan was likely to just continue to pretend to be his mentor and get him to go save his mom naturally, but once that was discovered he had to play the role of a villain a bit, and then get caught to try to convince barry to do what he wanted. I am willing to bet that if he wanted to he could have vibrated out of the cage.

In Rogue Air they demonstrated not one but two anti-metahuman devices. I'm sure they had his powers on lock.

carlsojo

So at last year's Comic Con they had a whole blow out of info with Arrow S3 and Flash S1. This year's is early July, so hopefully we'll find out what's the story for the shows next season.

zulux21

Eobard kills Iris. Eventually Barry moves on, and Eobard threatens to kill his new fiancee. Distraught Barry snaps his neck and goes to trial over it. In the comics, if that wasn't clear.

he doesn't look old enough for it to be a reference for that.

though I can't say I oppose to iris being removed from the show one way or another >.>

In Rogue Air they demonstrated not one but two anti-metahuman devices. I'm sure they had his powers on lock.

those were likely developed under well's guidance and likely left a weakness for him to exploit. He was the type to plan for nearly everything.
(note: at this point I am spoilering what I am saying because i am tired and don't want to spoil something I shouldn't lol.)

ZeroX03

Banned
My favorite part of Rogue Air.

Weather Wizard: "What, you want a thank you?"
Captain Cold: "Who doesn't like a thank you?"
Rainbow Raider: "...thank you..."
Captain Cold: "You are so very welcome!"

So courteous. I love it.

he doesn't look old enough for it to be a reference for that.

though I can't say I oppose to iris being removed from the show one way or another >.>

They're not adapting anything 1:1. Barry killing Eobard or someone is the main takeaway from that image - and they know exactly what they're hinting at - not necessarily Barry's multiple marriages.

those were likely developed under well's guidance and likely left a weakness for him to exploit. He was the type to plan for nearly everything.

No, the dampener was developed by Cisco after Wells was caught and the nanites were developed by Ray Palmer. Both mentioned in the episode.

Wiktor

(note: at this point I am spoilering what I am saying because i am tired and don't want to spoil something I shouldn't lol.)

I don't think so. I think he genuinelly got beat in that fight. There was no masterplan where he had to be captured. In the end it didn't matter if he was captured or not, he still would get into the accelerator anyway.

zulux21

They're not adapting anything 1:1. Barry killing Eobard or someone is the main takeaway from that image - and they know exactly what they're hinting at - not necessarily Barry's multiple marriages.

No, the dampener was developed by Cisco after Wells was caught and the nanites were developed by Ray Palmer. Both mentioned in the episode.

I actually took that prison shot to likely be that barry is being framed by someone like cold, not really sure where the murder plotline comes from aside from being in the comics.

yeah I knew the nanites were developed by ray (and wells easily defeated them the first time he was shot with them) as for the dampener, that thing had soooooooo many flaws. It stops barry but not the psycho that isn't a speedster from coming in. Beyond that how about I just go this route. Where is gidian? could wells not have set up her to disable the prison system? He was in the building the whole time, he had plenty of time to sync her with the system to release him later if he needed to be let out if his plans failed.

I mean it's a moot point of what ifs as even if he did plan to escape with ease if barry didn't try to go back in time, he got him to go back anyways, and then was just to slow to get away before getting punched in the face :p. The bigger question will be if wells will just be a normal guy next season. I mean tom didn't want the part when he was just a normal guy, so have times changed because he fell in love with the cast, or will wells still carry many secrets next season.

I don't think so. I think he genuinelly got beat in that fight. There was no masterplan where he had to be captured. In the end it didn't matter if he was captured or not, he still would get into the accelerator anyway.

he was already in there wasn't he?
he didn't need to get in there, he needed to get barry to run. He hands down couldn't go back into his own time without barry triggering it. He needed some way to get barry to open the speedforce time window or whatever we want to call it lol.

He had to have thrown that fight (aka he just put on a good show as even with messed up speed powers, if barry can catch a bullet from his neck wells who was far more experienced should have been able to dodge an arrow or snag it before it hit him), there is no way barry would have remotely trusted him if he didn't think he had the upper hand.

Wiktor

he was already in there wasn't he?
he didn't need to get in there, he needed to get barry to run. He hands down couldn't go back into his own time without barry triggering it. He needed some way to get barry to open the speedforce time window or whatever we want to call it lol.

He had to have thrown that fight (aka he just put on a good show as even with messed up speed powers, if barry can catch a bullet from his neck wells who was far more experienced should have been able to dodge an arrow or snag it before it hit him), there is no way barry would have remotely trusted him if he didn't think he had the upper hand.

He could have just as well just walk into there and let himself get captured. There's no way Wells is that dumb to throw a fight like that. There was so much that could have gone wrong there and ending up killing him. Plus he didn't know Barry would get back-up for that fight and before he was boasting how Barry can't beat him.

There really was no indicator that it was all part of some master plan, which I've actually found pretty refreshing. Heck...in the end Wells didn't really have any elaborate plan. There was no double crossing, hidden agendas or anything. Just a hones good-will offer.

Xemnas89

I'm not sure it really was an honest good-will offer. On the surface it seemed that way and I'm sure that was the intention but I think Wells was being honest the first time in episode 16 where he hinted it would be a bad idea to save her. I think he knew Barry saving her would screw things up royally but he just needed a way to convince him to open the wormhole so he could get home. What he would've done after getting there is interesting to think about.

Wiktor

I'm not sure it really was an honest good-will offer. On the surface it seemed that way and I'm sure that was the intention but I think Wells was being honest the first time in episode 16 where he hinted it would be a bad idea to save her. I think he knew Barry saving her would screw things up royally but he just needed a way to convince him to open the wormhole so he could get home. What he would've done after getting there is interesting to think about.

The thing is...if Barry would save his mother, it would literally erase all the evil Eobard did. And since he inherited Well's emotions that likely was a very tempting idea. He never seemed like a psycho on the show. he just did what was necessary and if his plan would work, everybody he killed would still be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom