• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, it's that or...

gCoUpHY.jpg

c223614d9c1d0b6e338161b95248b38b.jpg

best Harley Quinn, right guys?

...guys?

In fairness, she was the best part of that show.

It's like that show took the worst parts of BtVS/Angel, made it super WB, and then made it fucking boring as hell.

I struggled through 13 episodes of that on a re=watch (that's right! I watched it when it first aired as a kid, thought it was cool, bought the DVD collection for $8. I regret nothing). It could have been cool, it really could have, but it fell HARD after that first episode. Which wasn't even great.

Tabby

We already had a Batman nod in the pilot, everyone would have went crazy if we had Aquaman and Superman references as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ffs...wish they kept that shit.

The problem here is that the people behind the show are very clear that they don't just tease things to make references. Whenever they tease something they fully intend to back it up and pay it off at some point.

If they teased Superman they could never actually pay it off. It's a vague reference that adds nothing to the show at best and at worst could create a situation like Supergirl faces, where there is this large, looming presence they won't ever be able to show or have it impact in a meaningful way.

ZeroX03

Banned
If they can't pay off a tease I'd prefer they not even go there. I think they learned that lesson early on in Flash S1/Arrow S3. Which is what makes all the Green Lantern baiting suspicious.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If they can't pay off a tease I'd prefer they not even go there. I think they learned that lesson early on in Flash S1/Arrow S3. Which is what makes all the Green Lantern baiting suspicious.

Man, I'm tempted to start taking bets on whether the Green Lantern teases will pay off, but I'm not sure which side I'm even on.

They could just be crazy enough to try it.

They've been teasing Hal related things but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Alan Scott shows up on Flash or Arrow. They've been adding so many JSA characters.

They've been teasing Hal related things but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Alan Scott shows up on Flash or Arrow. They've been adding so many JSA characters.

My guess on Hal is he'll show up in Legends, in an episode that has them in the near future, but still outside the expected lifespan of these shows. Like a pit stop in the 2022-2025 range.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm sure they could use Alan Scott if they want, and the shows are already leaning heavily on JSA and magical characters. Hal Jordan is an enigma because they're specifically teasing him. Alan, Kyle or Guy I would get. Hal who's Johns' baby and possibly a (co-)lead for the movie? Would be very surprised. DC's character embargo rules are always weird. Still surprised Waller is back.

We know the flashbacks are going to have something big too. They've been playing them very close to the chest.

The Light

I do not understand how these embargos's work. Is it only for certain heroes or does it include all characters who are known to be heavily tied to a hero. Also What about mantles? For example would a character like Val-Zod be off limits just because of the S on his chest?

ZeroX03

Banned
I do not understand how these embargos's work. Is it only for certain heroes or does it include all characters who are known to be heavily tied to a hero. Also What about mantles? For example would a character like Val-Zod be off limits just because of the S on his chest?

We don't really know the specific ins and outs, just some cases. Certain IPs will stick to certain characters, like Arrow can't use Supergirl characters but it's really an issue with cases like Deadshot and Ted Kord. Supergirl might be able to use Val-Zod.

I'm sure they could use Alan Scott if they want, and the shows are already leaning heavily on JSA and magical characters. Hal Jordan is an enigma because they're specifically teasing him. Alan, Kyle or Guy I would get. Hal who's Johns' baby and possibly a (co-)lead for the movie? Would be very surprised. DC's character embargo rules are always weird. Still surprised Waller is back.

We know the flashbacks are going to have something big too. They've been playing them very close to the chest.

I don't remember who put the theory together or where I saw it but Oliver is getting a love interest in the flashback played by Elysia Rotaru. She tweeted this after being on set.

https://twitter.com/elysiarotaru/status/630966560086056961

Because the flashbacks are also supposed to deal with magic too and the character hasn't been given a name yet, they were guessing she'd be Zatanna.

...Which, I'd be totally cool with.

It's funny to see the head of DC talking about the creative justification for the separate universes as if that's prevented the shows from having restrictions, granted if they did share a universe it'd be a lot messier and limited but it clearly hasn't given anyone free reign.

I don't remember who put the theory together or where I saw it but Oliver is getting a love interest in the flashback played by Elysia Rotaru. She tweeted this after being on set.

https://twitter.com/elysiarotaru/status/630966560086056961

Because the flashbacks are also supposed to deal with magic too and the character hasn't been given a name yet, they were guessing she'd be Zatanna.

...Which, I'd be totally cool with.

I hope she's ready to be spammed by the crazies, if it isn't happening already.

Joni

Who knows, the backlash might be getting to them. Or we're really close to the truth and Will Smith is just that scared of Arrow-Deadshot. Harley is played by his girlfriend and obviously Jaden will play Ted Kord. Or they're realizing most of their movies are coming way after Arrow ends even.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why isn't Diggle showing off his mask?

:p

Too busy showing off the guns.

Who knows, the backlash might be getting to them. Or we're really close to the truth and Will Smith is just that scared of Arrow-Deadshot. Harley is played by his girlfriend and obviously Jaden will play Ted Kord. Or they're realizing most of their movies are coming way after Arrow ends even.

I honestly don't think DC knows what they're doing. At least Flash seems to have free reign and Legends isn't too beholden to specific canon, so only Arrow and Supergirl will really hurt.

At this point I think some of the reasoning behind cutting characters might be less because of movies and more because they realized they could shop the more iconic characters to different networks.

ZeroX03

Banned
At this point I think some of the reasoning behind cutting characters might be less because of movies and more because they realized they could shop the more iconic characters to different networks.

I think whether it's the rumored movie or a TV show, somebody at DC really wants to see Ted Kord on the screen as a leading man.

I blame Geoff Johns. Damn silver-age fanboy.

Why does he love silver age so much? I'm reading some issues of the silver age Flash (first Barry Allen issues) and they are average story-wise. I mean, Barry begins to fight his enemy very early in the story and there isn't much stuff after the end of the fight. It's like there is only the fight and the writer doesn't care about the lore. I hope this issue gets fixed in later issues.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why does he love silver age so much? I'm reading some issues of the silver age Flash (first Barry Allen issues) and they are average story-wise. I mean, Barry begins to fight his enemy very early in the story and there isn't much stuff after the end of the fight. It's like there is only the fight and the writer doesn't care about the lore. I hope this issue gets fixed in later issues.

Because he grew up not having access to his own comics but his father's (?) collection. So he would burn through those. Then when he jumped into modern readership it was midway through Crisis and Barry Allen dies and that jump and character obviously stuck with him. I think that's right, I'm trying to recall his Fat Man on Batman episode where he mentions all this.

He grew up during silver age. I didn't start reading DC comics until right around New 52 hit so I'm not so bitter about a lot of characters being shifted in favor of the originals, I still go back and read older books and enjoy them regardless of their canon status. Losing the JSA sucks though, It wouldn't be so bad if Earth 2 were a better book.

People blanket blame Johns & Didio but I'm guessing their creative process is more of a committee (I think Didio said he leaned on Rucka, Johns & one other person when he started at DC).

ZeroX03

Banned
He grew up during silver age. I didn't start reading DC comics until right around New 52 hit so I'm not so bitter about a lot of characters being shifted in favor of the originals, I still go back and read older books and enjoy them regardless of their canon status. Losing the JSA sucks though, It wouldn't be so bad if Earth 2 were a better book.

People blanket blame Johns & Didio but I'm guessing their creative process is more of a committee (I think Didio said he leaned on Rucka, Johns & one other person when he started at DC).

Haha he's not nearly that old.

tim1138

I was just going to post that Red Tornado, that's a pretty solid live action adaptation. It'll be interesting to see how his powers look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom