• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I think Gotham was way better than Arrow S3. It had the better cast, better acting, more interesting villains, and a cool overarching and simple plot about the power of Gotham and the gangs fighting it out. I can't even remember what S3 of Arrow were about.

Penguin

I guess I don't hate Arrow season 3 nearly as much as most of you, and enjoy Gotham but not as much as the people who like it.

Both pretty much middle-tier for me.

I'd take a rerun of Arrow Season 3 before a new episode of Gotham.

Ouch

I think Gotham was way better than Arrow S3. It had the better cast, better acting, more interesting villains, and a cool overarching and simple plot about the power of Gotham and the gangs fighting it out. I can't even remember what S3 of Arrow were about.

tumblr_inline_nptbmdgA8V1sbnovl_500.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think where Gotham lost me was the arc where they shot Poison Ivy's Father and Bullock, straight-faced, says to Gordon that they have to keep up the lie that her Father was the Wayne killer or else they'd be fired for shooting him to death.

A police officer getting fired for shooting a man who was attacking him is a greater ask of my suspension of disbelief than an entire show about a man who can run so fast he can time travel.

I ended up taking a break from Gotham around episode 17, I believe, and didn't finish the season up until last week. I'm glad I took the break, because, for me, my problems with the show were intensifying and concentrating week after week. I was able to start watching the show again with just a vague distaste in my mouth.

It also helped that the Ogre arc began shortly after that, which is Gotham at it's best, I think. It's too bad it took basically the entire season to get there.

Penguin

I think where Gotham lost me was the arc where they shot Poison Ivy's Father and Bullock, straight-faced, says to Gordon that they have to keep up the lie that her Father was the Wayne killer or else they'd be fired for shooting him to death.

A police officer getting fired for shooting a man who was attacking him is a greater ask of my suspension of disbelief than an entire show about a man who can run so fast he can time travel.

I ended up taking a break from Gotham around episode 17, I believe, and didn't finish the season up until last week. I'm glad I took the break, because, for me, my problems with the show were intensifying and concentrating week after week. I was able to start watching the show again with just a vague distaste in my mouth.

It also helped that the Ogre arc began shortly after that, which is Gotham at it's best, I think. It's too bad it took basically the entire season to get there.

I could be wrong, but that's not the reason Bullock tells him not to tell anyone... isn't it because they don't want to prolong the case as it would have done more damage to Gotham than ending the case cold

The whole reason why Gordon befriends Bruce.

morningbus

I could be wrong, but that's not the reason Bullock tells him not to tell anyone... isn't it because they don't want to prolong the case as it would have done more damage to Gotham than ending the case cold

The whole reason why Gordon befriends Bruce.

There may have been other motivations behind it, but I do explicitly remember Harvey saying they'd be fired. I'll try to find the scene.

Edit:
Went and checked the recording I have: The scene takes place about 30 minutes into the first episode (with commercials removed). Gordon knows that Pepper was framed and he confronts Harvey.

Gordon: Pepper didn't own any shiny shoes.
Harvey: Shiny shoes, mother of god. Suppose for a moment, just suppose, Peper was innocent. I killed him.
Gordon: We killed him.
Harvey: We killed him. We'd lose our jobs, at the very least. The case is closed. Forget about it.

Penguin

There may have been other motivations behind it, but I do explicitly remember Harvey saying they'd be fired. I'll try to find the scene.

Edit:
Went and checked the recording I have: The scene takes place about 30 minutes into the first episode (with commercials removed). Gordon knows that Pepper was framed and he confronts Harvey.

Gordon: Pepper didn't own any shiny shoes.
Harvey: Shiny shoes, mother of god. Suppose for a moment, just suppose, Peper was innocent. I killed him.
Gordon: We killed him.
Harvey: We killed him. We'd lose our jobs, at the very least. The case is closed. Forget about it.

Okay.. so at the very least, so that's like the best case scenario it seems from the exchange.

I'm watching Gotham now for the first time, and I'll say it's a interesting watch. It runs with what it is.

Keeps my interested more often then AoS does so far. AoS has a few good runs, but most of the time it's kinda a chore for me to watch. ... Don't get me wrong I'm in for s3 though 😎

Edit: Alfred is a interesting guy

morningbus

Okay.. so at the very least, so that's like the best case scenario it seems from the exchange.

If he had said that, at the very least they'd get a crowd funding campaign going, you wouldn't hear me complaining.

GeeTeeCee

I'm watching Gotham now for the first time, and I'll say it's a interesting watch. It runs with what it is.

Keeps my interested more often then AoS does so far. AoS has a few good runs, but most of the time it's kinda a chore for me to watch. ... Don't get me wrong I'm in for s3 though 😎

Edit: Alfred is a interesting guy

This is almost exactly what I was going to post when I came into the thread.

Gotham isn't what I want from a Batman tv show, and I can't say it's particularly good, but it's at least entertaining. There's been a ton of AoS episodes I either can't recall or found completely unremarkable (and this is after it "got good"). I think the main problem is it looks so bland, like NCIS: Weird Science Division. While Gotham is no Hannibal or True Detective it at least has a decent eye for cinematography and set design.

But hey, I'm not going to complain too much, we're in a golden age for superheroes on tv.

Penguin

I think that was a big part of the problem for some with Gotham's rookie season, I think people kept trying to pidgeon hole it into some type of show that is clearly wasn't trying to be.

And, it took a while (if you took around) to accept what it was going for. It was dark and campy. It was a police procedural and a crime drama. It was a Batman origin tale and a Gordon centerpiece.

It was many things, and nothing exceptionally well except being Gotham.

Anyhow, someone did up the Flash crisis poster

CPmdflRWsAAlBJG.jpg

Pachimari

I don't hate Arrow season 3 at all either, even though I can see the budget have been cut or their have been changes in the staff. But Gotham is just more enjoyable and fun to watch, and the characters more interesting.

Oh shit, it was all about Olicity. I rather forget that.

. There's been a ton of AoS episodes I either can't recall or found completely unremarkable (and this is after it "got good").
AoS s1 ended strong for me after a long string of episodes I really didn't care for. High hopes for s2 but for most part it was nothing special for me personally even though some seem to love it
But hey, we're in a golden age for superheroes on tv.
Pretty much, and this makes me happy :")
I'm gonna watch all the shows lol

morningbus

I think that was a big part of the problem for some with Gotham's rookie season, I think people kept trying to pidgeon hole it into some type of show that is clearly wasn't trying to be.

And, it took a while (if you took around) to accept what it was going for. It was dark and campy. It was a police procedural and a crime drama. It was a Batman origin tale and a Gordon centerpiece.

It was many things, and nothing exceptionally well except being Gotham.

I think the only problem I have with this reasoning is that it'd mean you could retroactively go back and watch the early episodes again and they'd be better. I think the show didn't even know what it was trying to be outside of a few characters, initially.

I think the show's small, early success is rooted in the Harvey/Gordon dynamic and the Penguin. With Harvey and Gordon, we're watching Gordon emerge as the paragon who elevates Harvey, a good cop that has been in a bad situation for too, too long. However, this dynamic is established early on and doesn't really develop over the season. The characters are mostly the same from episode to episode and even the differences from the first to last episode in terms of character development isn't huge. They rely on each other more, no doubt, but Harvey doesn't do anything inconsistent with where we met him in the pilot, either, for example.

The Penguin, especially early on, is the main actor in the show. He is the one who actually pushes the story forward and causes change within other characters. He's also one of the few characters that actually really grows over the course of the series. We meet him as a sniveling underling and he really becomes a monster once the season is over. However, even that progression is too slow at times and too fast at other times.

As for the other characters on the show, they're mostly failures. The entire Barbara character is so bad that I'm almost inclined to believe she was purposely written as such to make the viewer accept a rather quick and unearned heel turn. Everything that touches this character is poison for the show, including Renee Montoya and the inconsequential and unneeded lesbian relationship angle. You can tell the writers even realized how bad this arc was as they jettisoned it completely towards the middle, retiring the Barbara character for a few episodes and the entire Internal Affairs subplot completely, to basically reintroduce Barbara for the aforementioned unearned heel turn.

Most of the villains of the week don't work either, in terms of a real or imposing threat. The best of the early villains is Balloonman (who is only good in contrast to early characters), then it plods along until we get to the Goat, and then it plods along until the Ogre. Everyone else is mostly inconsequential.

There are a few highlights to some of the other characters, for sure. I especially liked the actor they got for the Jerome role and the Carmine Falcone actor is definitely capable of portraying that old-school, almost-respectable mobster type. Fish is polarizing, for sure, but I did end up enjoying where they went with the character, even then, her arc is kind of contrived and, if she doesn't show up in Season 2, a bit of a waste. She would have been a good bridge between the different version of Catwoman if they had gone for the full mentor role for Selina. I like the rougher Alfred and the actor playing Bruce is perfectly competent.

I guess my point is that I do accept the show for what it is and on its terms, but it is so inconsistent and the good stuff is so buried in inconsequential crap, it just isn't worth it for me.

I tried giving Gotham a fair shake (3-4 episodes), I didn't care for it. I would have love a law & order type setup though, get Harvey Dent as the DA. I'm more interested in the fantastical elements than the grounded stuff, I'd prefer they cut Bruce out if they're never going to show Batman and just focus on Gordan & the PD more.

I do like how they portrayed Gotham though, much better than Nolan's take.

I tried giving Gotham a fair shake (3-4 episodes), I didn't care for it. I would have love a law & order type setup though, get Harvey Dent as the DA. I'm more interested in the fantastical elements than the grounded stuff, I'd prefer they cut Bruce out if they're never going to show Batman and just focus on Gordan & the PD more.

I do like how they portrayed Gotham though, much better than Nolan's take.
Gotham is okay, but I will give it two things: Gotham City itself is absolutely perfect, and that in a world full of crime shows, it has a very unique feel and tone.
Jonah Hex.
What a movie that exists.
I've really been enjoying the portrayal of Alfred in Gotham.
He's kinda a badass
He always was. He's just more street in this.

ZeroX03

Banned
S2E02 “Flash of Two Worlds”

INTRODUCING JAY GARRICK — Jay Garrick (guest star Teddy Sears), a mysterious man from Earth-2, appears at S.T.A.R. Labs with a dire warning about an evil speedster named Zoom, who is set on destroying The Flash. Barry (Grant Gustin) and the team must decide if they can trust this stranger even as they face yet another powerful meta-human. Meanwhile, Joe (Jesse L. Martin) must deal with a determined officer named Patty Spivot (guest star Shantal VanSanten) who wants to join his meta-human task force. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#202). Original airdate 10/13/2015.

Magwik

Banned
S2E02 “Flash of Two Worlds”

INTRODUCING JAY GARRICK — Jay Garrick (guest star Teddy Sears), a mysterious man from Earth-2, appears at S.T.A.R. Labs with a dire warning about an evil speedster named Zoom, who is set on destroying The Flash. Barry (Grant Gustin) and the team must decide if they can trust this stranger even as they face yet another powerful meta-human. Meanwhile, Joe (Jesse L. Martin) must deal with a determined officer named Patty Spivot (guest star Shantal VanSanten) who wants to join his meta-human task force. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#202). Original airdate 10/13/2015.

Arrow S4E02 “The Candidate”

JERI RYAN GUEST STARS; INTRODUCING ECHO KELLUM — When an old family friend, Jessica Danforth (guest star Jeri Ryan), tells Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Thea (Willa Holland) that she is going to run for mayor, both Queens are concerned considering the last three mayors have been murdered. Despite their protests, Jessica makes her announcement so the Green Arrow and Speedy vow to protect her. Meanwhile, Thea begins to exhibit effects from the Lazarus Pit. In addition, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) is faced with a tough business decision and looks to one of her employees, Curtis Holt (guest star Echo Kellum), for help. John Behring directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Keto Shimizu (#402). Original airdate 10/14/2015.

Pachimari

I just know that The Flash is gonna confuse the hell out of me, with the multi-verse of various Earth's and timelines and the like.

I can't remember if I begged in this thread as well as the MCU one, but for the love of god, please don't make the new OTs just pictures with the text in the pictures.
It looks fancy and all, but damn is it unreadable on mobile or if the image hosting site starts having issues. Nice pics and banners with actual text can still look damn good and be readable on every device.

All pic OTs for shows or whatnot has been an annoying trend. But maybe that is just me.

Joni

Is there anyway possible you can get more info from any sources you have, or from [TNT president] Kevin Reilly himself, on the subject of Titans? –Jeff
Seeing how many got into a tizzy and feared the worst when TNT announced its fall/winter slate – and given that there has been no movement on the casting/production front – I asked around and have been assured that the DC Comics-based series is still in development.

I can't remember if I begged in this thread as well as the MCU one, but for the love of god, please don't make the new OTs just pictures with the text in the pictures.
It looks fancy and all, but damn is it unreadable on mobile or if the image hosting site starts having issues. Nice pics and banners with actual text can still look damn good and be readable on every device.

All pic OTs for shows or whatnot has been an annoying trend. But maybe that is just me.
All picture hosts are blocked at my work, for me they are often just red x's from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom