• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Community Thread [Summer of Superfriends]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

I'm rewatching Flash Season 1 - this time with my daughter who is absolutely loving it. We just watched The Man In The Yellow Suit and I'm confused by something.

When they trapped "Reverse Flash" in that area-he breaks out and pulls Wells in and starts beating him up-Wells face is beaten and bloody and he's getting thrown around everywhere. Later it's revealed that it was all a hologram/illusion. So if thats true, how did Wells beat himself up like that?
Should I just chalk it up as a plot hole or was this explained and I missed it?

I'm rewatching Flash Season 1 - this time with my daughter who is absolutely loving it. We just watched The Man In The Yellow Suit and I'm confused by something.

When they trapped "Reverse Flash" in that area-he breaks out and pulls Wells in and starts beating him up-Wells face is beaten and bloody and he's getting thrown around everywhere. Later it's revealed that it was all a hologram/illusion. So if thats true, how did Wells beat himself up like that?

speedforce.gif

Not so much a hologram, as such, more... an after-image. Yeah, he really was whaling on himself.

iosefe

explained:

it's a one way force field. enter from outside but can't leave. it was a hologram up until the point "pulled himself" in. he planned it all out so exceptionally that it was a seemless change from hologram to ACTUAL wells

Kibbles

I'm about to start Arrow Season 3. A friend said I should alternate and watch an episode of Flash after each arrow episode, is that recommended?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm about to start Arrow Season 3. A friend said I should alternate and watch an episode of Flash after each arrow episode, is that recommended?

If you care about continuity, yes. You should watch the Flash episode first, then the episode of Arrow.

They need to do a Sandman spin-off show to get back into the dark, seedy, pulp Arrow started out with. Make it grimy and nasty, but with CW pretty people

sandman_low.jpg

latest

wesley_dodds__the_sandman_by_clayrodery-d4ox4ts.jpg

Wiktor

They need to do a Sandman spin-off show to get back into the dark, seedy, pulp Arrow started out with. Make it grimy and nasty, but with CW pretty people

Unfortunatelly I don't think CW has enough budget to make a convincing historical show (as evidenced by Reign and medieval is a lot easier to pull of than 1930).

And while I would really like Sandman Mystery Theatre show, there's one superhero from that era that would work a lot better as TV show:

ZeroX03

Banned
Sandman - both OG and Gaiman's - has always interested me, but I've never read any of the characters. Such a great character design.

Sandman - both OG and Gaiman's - has always interested me, but I've never read any of the characters. Such a great character design.

Hunt down both of them. Sandman Mystery Theater is a lot of fun, and Gaiman's Sandman is considered one of the all time great works in comics.

Wiktor

Hunt down both of them. Sandman Mystery Theater is a lot of fun, and Gaiman's Sandman is considered one of the all time great works in comics.
I would go as far as to say that if you only ever read one comicbook series in your life it should be Gaiman's Sandman.

I would go as far as to say that if you only ever read one comicbook series in your life it should be Gaiman's Sandman.

The length of it is off putting to some. I recommend it to so many people at work, but even people who buy Gaiman's novels don't want to dive into Sandman because it seems like too big of an investment to get into it. Oh, and they don't read comics. It is a damn shame.

The ones that are open to comics but don't want to sink all the money into getting all of Sandman though, I recommend Death to them. It is one volume, you can go in cold, and it gives you a taste of Gaiman's comic work. I am not sure how many of the people I convinced to buy Death actually came back for Sandman.

Wiktor

Shows get reduced budgets as they go on in age. It's to compensate for lowered viewership, increased actor salary and just to increase profits.

It had better ratings. I doubt they actually reduced the budget itself. But even if they got the same ammount as in S2 it had to be hardert to pull the season off because of raised salaries, a lot more regulars on the show, wasteful Ray's CG and overall increased scope of the show (Hongkong vs simple island, a lot of scenes outside Starling in current timeline too). A lot of that will be gone next season thanfully.

I wonder if the Multiverse tease from the flash finale was recycling a Smallville prop:

latest

Arrow recycled a lot of Smallville sets in the first two seasons, so its not out of the question.

ZeroX03

Banned
Looked up Sandman on the DC app. Was sad I wasn't there. Then realized it would be on Vertigo now and downloaded that instead.

It had better ratings. I doubt they actually reduced the budget itself. But even if they got the same ammount as in S2 it had to be hardert to pull the season off because of raised salaries, a lot more regulars on the show, wasteful Ray's CG and overall increased scope of the show (Hongkong vs simple island, a lot of scenes outside Starling in current timeline too). A lot of that will be gone next season thanfully.

I'm pretty sure we've been over this in the Flash or Arrow thread before. I believe Amell said the budget dropped from S1 to S2 and S2 to S3. Ratings improving has very little baring on budget increases. It just means the show is more profitable. Otherwise The Walking Dead would have a massive budget, when in reality it got slashed.

Arrow recycled a lot of Smallville sets in the first two seasons, so its not out of the question.

That's what happens when everything is shot in Vancouver, only so many places they can film. Not the same helmet though, it has two vertical indents while the Smallville hat just has one.

Oddduck

This VFX breakdown reel video was posted 5 days ago showing some of the CGI and visual effects work that was done on Gotham's environments.

https://vimeo.com/129161707

Pretty neat stuff. There was a ton of CGI work done on this show.

The first season had its up's and down's, and I know some people have frustrations with this show.

But you can tell that they put a lot of work in creating the look of Gotham City.

Wiktor

This VFX breakdown reel video was posted 5 days ago showing some of the CGI and visual effects work that was done on Gotham's environments.

The first season had its up's and down's, and I know some people have frustrations with this show.

But you can tell that they put a lot of work in creating the look of Gotham City.

Gotham overall looks amazing. Second only to Hannibal as the best looking show on TV. Not just the CG, which is glorious, but it had plenty of scenes where I had to pause to take a better look at the beauty they've put on screen.

Tabby

They did a good job recreating Gotham to be honest.

I'm reading through Gaiman's Sandman right now, it's good but inconsistent, I found Alan Moore's swamp thing to be a better read. I think the gap between regular comics and Alan Moore/Gaiman has narrowed over the years, they were definitely pioneers and I respect that, but they're not so head and shoulders above modern work.

I liked the idea of an hourman tv series back when they were throwing it around. You could make a pretty fuckin' gritty series around Rex Tyler. The character himself wasn't super dark in the comics but Miraclo (essentially what they based Mirakuru off of a bit) was addicting and a drug. I like the idea of one hour of power, then being helpless after that. Sandman would be good if they could pitch a mad men kind of period piece. With occasional cross overs. I loved seeing the 1940's superheroes in watchmen, I still think there's a place for the JSA on either TV or movies.

What I really want to see is another tv series that tackles magic DC. It's a shame Constantine was never produced by Berlanti and on CW (fuckin' retire supernatural already). Zatanna or Zatara would be a cool show, I've thrown out Swamp Thing before. I'm guessing these are all off limits, so maybe the Question with a mix of pre new 52 elements. Maybe they're hoping to spin Vixen off the animated series. It has been mentioned before that Arrow is going to tackle supernatural elements while Flash is science fiction.

Wiktor

What I really want to see is another tv series that tackles magic DC. It's a shame Constantine was never produced by Berlanti and on CW (fuckin' retire supernatural already). Zatanna or Zatara would be a cool show, I've thrown out Swamp Thing before. I'm guessing these are all off limits, so maybe the Question with a mix of pre new 52 elements. Maybe they're hoping to spin Vixen off the animated series. It has been mentioned before that Arrow is going to tackle supernatural elements while Flash is science fiction.

Books of Magic bro.
BOM_DLX.jpg

Perfect for CW. Incredible story, great setting and Timothy Hunter is important enough and potentially powerful enough that pretty much everybody who matters in DC's magic is bound to sooner or later end up interacting with him.

Heck, even the superficial similiarities to Potter would work well. Sure, some ignorant people would bitch, but they and everybody else who knows Potter would still tune in for couple episodes. Long enough to grab them and convince them it's not a rip-off. This "similiar on glance, very different in reality" strategy worked wonderfully for Vampire Diaries.

Books of Magic bro.

Oh yes, forgot about Tim. I was thinking Dr. Occult, Baron Winters and all that but Tim seems like a logical choice. They'd probably age him up a little bit but I'd love to see that. He's the perfect vehicle for interacting with magic DC characters as well and it's unlikely he'll be in any movies.

Ahasverus

it's really good, but it's a far cry from best show ever

after the cliff hanger S1 finale, i'm not even sure it's the best comic book related show that aired this year
Oh Daredevil, sure, I liked it very much (Best thing marvel imo) yet I kinda fell apart at the end, while the Flash ending was pure bliss.

Dalek

Books of Magic bro.
BOM_DLX.jpg

Perfect for CW. Incredible story, great setting and Timothy Hunter is important enough and potentially powerful enough that pretty much everybody who matters in DC's magic is bound to sooner or later end up interacting with him.

Heck, even the superficial similiarities to Potter would work well. Sure, some ignorant people would bitch, but they and everybody else who knows Potter would still tune in for couple episodes. Long enough to grab them and convince them it's not a rip-off. This "similiar on glance, very different in reality" strategy worked wonderfully for Vampire Diaries.

Oh wow. This is a great idea.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Is The Flash the best show ever? Yes it is.

I was on board with agreeing until you A) brought up Breaking Bad, which reminded me that it's actually the best show ever and then B) you said you were bored of Breaking Bad by season 2.

I will say that while watching The Flash there are times where I enjoy it so much I forget about other shows and think it's the best ever. For me it hits all the beats perfectly.

So rewatching Season 1 and 2 of Arrow, these two seasons were more tightly wound together and completely fufills Ollie's "Hero" Arc.
He fails in Season 1 and Succeeds in Season 2.

Season 3 is a complete outlier at this point and its hard to see where its going. from the looks of things its trying to bring in a bigger overall universe. I'll see when I get to that whenever I finished Season 3 again.

One other thing...Laurel's character isn't really all that bad.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So rewatching Season 1 and 2 of Arrow, these two seasons were more tightly wound together and completely fufills Ollie's "Hero" Arc.

Season 3 is a complete outlier at this point and its hard to see where its going. from the looks of things its trying to bring in a bigger overall universe. I'll see when I get to that whenever I finished Season 3 again.

She was just kinda "whatever" in the first season.

Completely horrid for most of the second.

Just kinda dumb but well-intentioned in the third. Inoffensive, I guess.

Thea on the other hand was fucking insufferable for the first two seasons.

She was just kinda "whatever" in the first season.

Completely horrid for most of the second.

Just kinda dumb but well-intentioned in the third. Inoffensive, I guess.

Thea on the other hand was fucking insufferable for the first two seasons.

Laurel was horrid on purpose. She was dealing with addiction issues and
Tommy's death for most of the season
After Oliver rips her a new one later she starts her AAA and gets mad humbled and actually ends up being the person that ties everything together to end everything.

Thea was definitely being a brat in Season 1 but Season 2 everyone was lying to her so that righteously pissed her off.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Laurel was horrid on purpose. She was dealing with addiction issues and
Tommy's death for most of the season
After Oliver rips her a new one later she starts her AAA and gets mad humbled and actually ends up being the person that ties everything together to end everything.

Thea was definitely being a brat in Season 1 but Season 2 everyone was lying to her so that righteously pissed her off.

being rightfully pissed off doesn't save the fact that 95% of her Season 2 screentime was either spent worrying about Roy, or crossing her arms all pouty-like, clenching her jaw and going "I'm sick of the liiiiies Ollie! THIS FAMILY AND ITS LIIIIIEEES. MALCOLM MERLYYYYYN. LIIIIIIIIEEES."

Spread that over a 20-some episode season? Yeah... that shit got real fucking old.

Wiktor

Thea was more grating in S1, but Laurel was far worse out of the two in S2. Not so much because of what happened, but how much more screen time Laurel's drama took. Thea was sidelined for most of the season and just went on with her business, with some increased presence only in third act.

There's a reason why when you go through S2 thread you will see people concentrating their hate solely on Laurel.

Both improved immensely this season. And the way Thea handled learning who the Arrow is was pure bliss.

it's really good, but it's a far cry from best show ever

after the cliff hanger S1 finale, i'm not even sure it's the best comic book related show that aired this year
Truth.
Oh Daredevil, sure, I liked it very much (Best thing marvel imo) yet I kinda fell apart at the end, while the Flash ending was pure bliss.
DD doesn't fall apart to near the degree at the end when compared to The Flash. The entire finale of The Flash is based on the most stupid conscientious decision I've seen not only one character, but the entire main cast of characters in a series make. Seriously. People gave the Arrow S3 finale shit, but that was far less nonsensical than The Flash's finale (barring the fucking Felicity bullshit which, no, I will not let it go).

She isn't, but she is a prime example of the Arrow writers' big weakness: the contrivance of a character to meet plot beats. Her arc in S3 is strong in all aspects except for the lie she tells for two-thirds of the season. Naturally, her telling that lie early on is understandable, but for two-thirds of the season? And other characters even HELP her? Ludicrous. And all to get Quentin to turn on Oliver, because they didn't have any other way of getting the police to turn on Oliver. I could think of a couple, but hey, a super-contrived character arc is one way to do it.

The Flash has this same issue, but on a much smaller level.
being rightfully pissed off doesn't save the fact that 95% of her Season 2 screentime was either spent worrying about Roy, or crossing her arms all pouty-like, clenching her jaw and going "I'm sick of the liiiiies Ollie! THIS FAMILY AND ITS LIIIIIEEES. MALCOLM MERLYYYYYN. LIIIIIIIIEEES."

Spread that over a 20-some episode season? Yeah... that shit got real fucking old.
Thea's character arc (I've said it before and I'll say it again) has the shell of a good character arc. The meat of said character arc, however, leaves much to be desired. That being said, I still like Thea.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Thea's character arc (I've said it before and I'll say it again) has the shell of a good character arc. The meat of said character arc, however, leaves much to be desired. That being said, I still like Thea.

Oh she's been far less insufferable this season. They could've done alot more with her, if anything. Her resurrection could've been a far more traumatic ordeal psychologically. It's moreso the incessant whining that was her problem.

Wiktor

I suggested a Books of Magic series before. It's too much like Harry Potter, it would never work.
Yeah..it's not like a "Twilight: The TV series" became the biggest hit CW had at it's premiere ;)

And honestly..Book of Magic similiarities are extremely superficial. If needed you could remove/change almost all of them with no damage the the whole story. Especially since they would age the character into late teens anyway.

Oh she's been far less insufferable this season. They could've done alot more with her, if anything. Her resurrection could've been a far more traumatic ordeal psychologically. It's moreso the incessant whining that was her problem.

I never had a problem with her whining, because I always felt it was justified to me (I've also sat through Dawn and Connor before, so she was easy to digest).

My issue is that her character progression always seems to be "man tells her to go to place and/or do thing, and she goes to place and/or does thing. No matter how well/poorly it turns out for her."

There are clearly elements of a very strong arc: the bratty, spoiled rich girl who gets her shit together, becomes independent, and decides to help the very city she not only felt superior and lorded over in terms of social status, but she was once a victim of some of its darkest and seediest subjects. It's quite beautiful, but horrendously executed.

Wiktor

DD doesn't fall apart to near the degree at the end when compared to The Flash. .

No..it fell apart a lot more. The whole third act is a diseaster. With nothing of importance happening. And final victory being a shitty deus ex machina, with no real effort put into it by the heroes. And then the show betrays everything it stood for in the last 20 minutes, delivering the cringe-worthy scenes that felt like I was back into Smallville era of superheroes on TV.

Meanwhile Flash's last 7-8 episodes were fast moving, with great twists and surprises and kept escalating the conflict, increasing the excitement. Even if the final decision of some characters was based on shaky grounds it still was just a part of emotionally wrecking episode that capped off a string of excellent episodes, including some of the best the show ever had. Meanwhile Daredevil delivered four weak episodes at the very end of the season, far weaker than anything that come before it.

No..it fell apart a lot more. The whole third act is a diseaster. With nothing of importance happening. And final victory being a shitty deus ex machina, with no real effort put into it by the heroes. And then the show betrays everything it stood for in the last 20 minutes, delivering the cringe-worthy scenes that felt like I was back into Smallville era of superheroes on TV.

Meanwhile Flash's last 7-8 episodes were fast moving, with great twists and surprises and kept escalating the conflict, increasing the excitement. Even if the final decision of some characters was based on shaky grounds it still was just a part of emotionally wrecking episode that capped off a string of excellent episodes, including some of the best the show ever had. Meanwhile Daredevil delivered four weak episodes at the very end of the season, far weaker than anything that come before it.

The finale to The Flash is everyone making the single worst decision ever. I'd also argue DD wasn't nearly the "disaster" some like to make it out to be, but I'm not here to argue DD in detail. I just don't feel it was as poorly done as The Flash's.

The Flash finale, though fast and well-paced it may be, also is a collective of some of the most idiotic decisions that a cast of supposed geniuses (in their respective fields) could ever hope to make. The action and emotional moments? Splendid. The rest? I felt that was the worst way to go about achieving those moments.

Wiktor

The finale to The Flash is everyone making the single worst decision ever. I'd also argue DD wasn't nearly the "disaster" some like to make it out to be, but I'm not here to argue DD in detail. I just don't feel it was as poorly done as The Flash's.

The Flash finale, though fast and well-paced it may be, also is a collective of some of the most idiotic decisions that a cast of supposed geniuses (in their respective fields) could ever hope to make. The action and emotional moments? Splendid. The rest? I felt that was the worst way to go about achieving those moments.

Well..at least it had action and emotional moments. Can't say the same about DD. I did have problem with character's decision in Flash's finale, but this little crappy problem doesn't change that this episode had a lot of cool moments. And most of all it was preceeded by plenty of great eps. The writers knew how to escalate the plot near the end, something DD writers have no idea how to acomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom