• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC TV Off-Season - Crisis on Infinite Reruns

IconGrist

So I just started watching Supergirl. I'm on episode 2. How long does the show keep up the whole "guys have it better than women" thing? That's a subject that needs to be addressed, but they're beating you over the head with it. Let the story speak for itself. You don't need to spoon feed us the lesson.

It's very heavy like the first quarter of the season. Then it settles down to an okay level.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like the Arrow trailer.

So I just started watching Supergirl. I'm on episode 2. How long does the show keep up the whole "guys have it better than women" thing? That's a subject that needs to be addressed, but they're beating you over the head with it. Let the story speak for itself. You don't need to spoon feed us the lesson.

It settles after the first few episodes when Cat comes into her own.

Finaika

I don't think they beat you over the head with it, maybe mentioned it once or twice.

Da-Kid

At this point, I'm giving Arrow at least 5 episodes to be compelling and good or I'm going to drop the show. I've stuck with Arrow since the beginning but after the second season things have legitimately been terrible. And the series has failed in a number of ways to move itself forward.

I'm really floored by the often pointless and lack of use of Green Arrow actually using his bow. I'm baffled this show has done nothing interesting with his bow either. No trick arrows except for explosive (which is more sparks) and... net arrows. No electric tazer arrow, smoke arrow, flash bang arrows, sonic arrow, or concussion arrows? It's not like these are in the realm of disbelief, they're not ridiculous like the Glove Arrow. Seriously, it would add a new dynamic.

I just wish this show was more about sharpshooting and espionage than literally walking normally around a hostile environment, and forced hand to hand combat situations.

At this point, I'm giving Arrow at least 5 episodes to be compelling and good or I'm going to drop the show. I've stuck with Arrow since the beginning but after the second season things have legitimately been terrible. And the series has failed in a number of ways to move itself forward.

I'm really floored by the often pointless and lack of use of Green Arrow actually using his bow. I'm baffled this show has done nothing interesting with his bow either. No trick arrows except for explosive (which is more sparks) and... net arrows. No electric tazer arrow, smoke arrow, flash bang arrows, sonic arrow, or concussion arrows? It's not like these are in the realm of disbelief, they're not ridiculous like the Glove Arrow. Seriously, it would add a new dynamic.

I just wish this show was more about sharpshooting and espionage than literally walking normally around a hostile environment, and forced hand to hand combat situations.

He also still shoots guys (well, sometimes seeing how infrequent he used his bow lately) with the same arrows in the same place where it use to kill them but now we pretend it doesn't.

You're far braver than I in giving it five episodes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't know why they're so resistant to trick arrows. They really want to avoid the less realistic archery stuff, despite all the magic going on.

The main reason it becomes hand to hand combat is simply because it's more exciting to watch than a guy launching arrows from afar.

Oregano

He actually used a taser arrow against Bronze Tiger in the second season and then never again since then.

Da-Kid

I don't know why they're so resistant to trick arrows. They really want to avoid the less realistic archery stuff, despite all the magic going on.

The main reason it becomes hand to hand combat is simply because it's more exciting to watch than a guy launching arrows from afar.
Sure, but seeing him pick off multiple enemies from afar then swooping in to take on the remainder is far more interesting than swooping into an heavenly guarded area, just walk around until you get into a fight. Most of the time GA is shooting arrows from merely a few feet away from the bad guys.

This show also lacks any type of spectacle. You never see GA swinging from rooftop to rooftop in pursuit.

Joni

Not very long as far as I remember.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sure, but seeing him pick off multiple enemies from afar then swooping in to take on the remainder is far more interesting than swooping into an heavenly guarded area, just walk around until you get into a fight. Most of the time GA is shooting arrows from merely a few feet away from the bad guys.

This show also lacks any type of spectacle. You never see GA swinging from rooftop to rooftop in pursuit.

Well, yeah, budget.

jrush64

Banned
The thing about Arrow season 3 and 4 is that they started off pretty great before falling off. I won't say they were downright bad, just disappointing and kind of boring sometimes. I hope the same doesn't happen this season.

KonradLaw

I just want them to stop forgetting how badass Olie is supposed to be. This is the man that solo'ed damn Ra's in a sword fight. Him completely owning Malcolm was great, but shit like not stomping Anarky or getting caught by that evil cop shouldn't happen.

KonradLaw

The thing about Arrow season 3 and 4 is that they started off pretty great before falling off. I won't say they were downright bad, just disappointing and kind of boring sometimes. I hope the same doesn't happen this season.

Uh...really? Season 3's start was bad. It wasn't untill Cupid episode when things picked up for a good stretch of episodes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I just want them to stop forgetting how badass Olie is supposed to be. This is the man that solo'ed damn Ra's in a sword fight. Him completely owning Malcolm was great, but shit like not stomping Anarky or getting caught by that evil cop shouldn't happen.

He didn't earn that win. Ra's should have bodied him a second time.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
"A shark that does not move forward drowns." Someone needs to bone up on their biology.

While it's true that many sharks need to constantly move forward to pass water through their gills, it's not true of all sharks.

#notallsharks

Joni

"A shark that does not move forward drowns." Someone needs to bone up on their biology.

While it's true that many sharks need to constantly move forward to pass water through their gills, it's not true of all sharks.

#notallsharks

Maybe King Sharks need to.

S3 started off bad by fridging Sara, got worse with the complete waste of Komodo, started to get a little better up to the mid-season finale (even with that fight scene where they didn't even really try to hide the stunt double) and then for the most part shit to bed afterwards.

Tabby

S3 started off bad by fridging Sara, got worse with the complete waste of Komodo, started to get a little better up to the mid-season finale (even with that fight scene where they didn't even really try to hide the stunt double) and then for the most part shit to bed afterwards.

I thought the episodes with Brick were decent, if you ignore the "will to live" thing that is.

Da-Kid

I don't think that's fair. All of these shows have a lot of effort put into them.

But time constraints and budget greatly affect what you can reasonably pull off.
Arrow looks like it has the least amount of effort put into of all the shows.These are some pretty simple things they should be able to do. For god's sake Nikita had better action and espionage than this show.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Arrow looks like it has the least amount of effort put into of all the shows.These are some pretty simple things they should be able to do. For god's sake Nikita had better action and espionage than this show.

What did Nikita look like in its third, fourth and fifth season?

The budget gets tighter and tighter every season. Plus every show on the planet films in Vancouver so they don't have unlimited time.

The truth is most people want to do good work, regardless of if they're an actor, writer, or videogame developer. You don't have to forgive the problems, but you can at least make a reasonable attempt to understand why they happen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think Arrow looks fine for its age. It was dark Vancouver warehouses in Season 1, it's dark Vancouver warehouses now. They still try to do good fight choreography from time to time. The daylight action sequence in the suburbs with Ollie and Diggle was pretty dope.

I'm more concerned about how The Flash is going to age since it is so reliant on CG. Supergirl too now that I think about it.

I think Arrow looks fine for its age. It was dark Vancouver warehouses in Season 1, it's dark Vancouver warehouses now. They still try to do good fight choreography from time to time. The daylight action sequence in the suburbs with Ollie and Diggle was pretty dope.

I'm more concerned about how The Flash is going to age since it is so reliant on CG. Supergirl too now that I think about it.

Supergirl is supposedly going to actually have a higher VFX budget in season two than it did in its first thanks to the cost cutting of moving to Vancouver whether that's literally higher or just because more can be done with the same cost I'm not sure.

carlsojo

Watching Family Feud right now... I would love.. LOVE to see a Team Flash vs. Team Arrow Family Feud.

Supergirl is supposedly going to actually have a higher VFX budget in season two than it did in its first thanks to the cost cutting of moving to Vancouver whether that's literally higher or just because more can be done with the same cost I'm not sure.

I never understood why people think the CG is going to get worse on Supergirl with the move to the CW. Like have you seen the Flash? That shit is some of the best on TV.

KonradLaw

If they need to conserve the budget for S6 of Arrow it would be good idea to just cut everyone aside from Olie and Chesthair from the regular line-up :) Would improve the show and if Olie would need help it would be better to have guest star allies for episode or two, which would allow for more DC cameos.

The fact that Supernatural has so few regulars (I think it's 3-4) is probably a big reason why it's went for so long.

ZeroX03

Banned
Flash was already reusing VFX shots from S1 in S2. They're wizards but we're going to see more and more shortcuts as time goes on.

Not to mention stunts aren't nearly as cheap as people think. Stunt team, insurance, practical rigs, all add up. Also Arrow does use effects more than you'd think, they never shoot real arrows on the show after all.

Smallville still looks ok.

very questionable

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I hope so. I've actually never really been bothered by how Supergirl looks effects wise. The makeup and costumes (Kara excluded) have been the questionable part of the show for me.

Joni

The fact that Supernatural has so few regulars (I think it's 3-4) is probably a big reason why it's went for so long.

It also helps that they have few effects, with all monsters being humans with scary teeth. Hell, their big bad this season was smoke.

Da-Kid

I definitely think Arrow is way too crowded. It's damnthere a Justice League show at this point. It should just be Green Arrow, Mr. Terrific, and Diggle.

Gotham starts tomorrw, wish Netlix would have uploaded s2 alittle sooner -_- (s2 gets uploaded tomorrw)

Feel behind on Gotham and a few others last season. Arrow and legends -_-

Gotham starts tomorrw, wish Netlix would have uploaded s2 alittle sooner -_- (s2 gets uploaded tomorrw)

Had Gotham series 2 on Netflix for about 2 months here. Weird because it was months behind US when airing here.

Nabs

Gotham fell off shortly after returning from the break, so don't feel too bad about that.

Joni

Saw Whiplash. I assumed they cast Melissa Benoist in a movie about a music academy to get five seconds of singing in there, like she is a fellow student or something. Still, she did good. Made an impression despite her limited time. Great movie, but stupid
Reed Richards dumping Supergirl.
Gordon had it right
humiliating him.

Top Bottom