• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Been playing for months now on PC. Not the best game out there, perhaps, but is it worth playing? Yes. There's a lot of new content that's been added and it doesn't play like any other MMO out there. Some people hate that (what do you mean it's not like WoW?!?!) but I find a lot of other MMOs to be really grating so it works for me.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Mulligan said:
So i want to go damage dealer and like the idea of a nature powered char. Are the any powers that allow you to control weather e.g Storm?
No, not really. They're adding Lightning (Healer) in a month or two and I'm guessing that will have storm powers.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Chriswok said:
Do they give anything special to those that bought the game and subbed in the first few months of release?
Not really. You get free Premium access ($5 for everyone else) and that's it.

Downloaded over night for PC, will definitely give this a shot as I really enjoyed the Beta on PS3.

Deciding between Ice or Mental, hmmm...

Zomba13

Dunlop said:
once,

Buy something from the ingame marketplace, log out of the game and then back in (PS3) and your status should be updated
Oooh cool. Will do that when I download it then.

BattleMonkey said:
You are basically automatically a premium member.

Hmm. Might check it out for a day or two when I have some free time, but don't feel a huge urge to return. This game could have been so good, too.

sillymonkey321 said:
My biggest problem with this game, and some noted in the op, the combat/powers are just not fun. The powers especially are some of the least "super" abilities you'll ever see, it's basically a brawler no matter what class you play as and instead of a punch having an orange glow if you're fire, it will have green for nature or blue for ice but you're all just doing the same mashing combo over and over again.
I don't really agree with this.

Although it certainly might seem that way at the beginning, the powers and abilities open up as you get to 30 and mix and match the best set of powers for the occasion. Between your power set, movement abilities and powers (Speed Drain!!) and your weapon, you have a fair amount of diversity.

I want to check back soon!

To me the this game provided hours of fun (playing with Killthee was boss). I think the character progression occurred too fast, though and this is probably the first and last time I will ever see that as a flaw in a game, as lately I like shorter gamning experiences. But the ganeplay and experience was top notch :).
I have to endure the download and visit metropolis and gotham again tho :)

Miletius

So lets say I wanted to spend 5 dollars to unlock Premium status. To people that have played the game extensively, what would you spend your 5 dollars on? Is there anything worthwhile that can be had for that amount?

Miletius said:
So lets say I wanted to spend 5 dollars to unlock Premium status. To people that have played the game extensively, what would you spend your 5 dollars on? Is there anything worthwhile that can be had for that amount?

Spend an extra $5 for the Green Lantern pack, as it adds the 7th power set along with a bunch of extra instances.

Miletius said:
I'd spend $10 on the DLC.

Quick stupid question/wish:

Since the game is now f2p, will we ever get a patch that allows you to play the game with no disk? (I already own the cd version)

malingenie said:
Quick stupid question/wish:

Since the game is now f2p, will we ever get a patch that allows you to play the game with no disk? (I already own the cd version)

No patch, you would have to go and redownload it completely again and use your username/pass info. I wish they would just patch it

Dunlop

based on my very limited experience with this game, I would say it's main problem (like almost every other MMO) was that they think that because WOW can pull in $15 a month, so could their game.

After all this time, there is so much content in WOW that it is staggering. There is a robost solo/group/pve/pvp/raiding environments so pretty much can cater to every audience.

This game is obviously very limited and was even more so when it launched, why not charge 5-8 dollars for subs?

dingsbums

Neo Member
Servers are up again!

I am premium member and I think only having 2000 ingame cash is really not enough. Repaircosts are really high. Yesterday I died a few times and had to repair for 1000 cash. You make only 125 cash with the daily missions. Money you get from the auction house goes in your bank and not in your pocket. You need to use "Station Cash" to transfer money from the bank to your pocket. I think it was 10k for 400 "Station Cash".

f@luS

More than a member.
should itry it on ps3 or pc? old computer (radeon 4850 inside , and C2D @ 3.2)

f@luS said:
should itry it on ps3 or pc? old computer (radeon 4850 inside , and C2D @ 3.2)
It doesn't hurt to try it on both and see how it runs. It's free.

Your computer is fine though. My computer is slower than that and still plays it fine.

f@luS

More than a member.
HarryDemeanor said:
It doesn't hurt to try it on both and see how it runs. It's free.

Your computer is fine though. My computer is slower than that and still plays it fine.
its so big !

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BattleMonkey said:
Spend an extra $5 for the Green Lantern pack, as it adds the 7th power set along with a bunch of extra instances.

Whats included in the green lantern pack?

IronLich

If anyone is going Premium on PS3, you should know that buying the Green Lantern DLC alone doesn't upgrade your status. You still need to spend $5 on in-game items to upgrade your status.

Just wanted to confirm this.

Im a new DC Universe player though I did play the Beta. And a pretty new MMO player too.

Rolled a
PVE - Hero, Sorcery, LVL 9 - Name: Mystical Rocker
PVP - Villan, Fire - Her name doesnt matter think ima go ahead and delete her.

I am trash as of now. trying to get my bearings.

RADRAD said:
If anyone is going Premium on PS3, you should know that buying the Green Lantern DLC alone doesn't upgrade your status. You still need to spend $5 on in-game items to upgrade your status.

Wait wha? My roomie bought the Light Pack and went to premium so wtf are you talking about?

Dunlop

RADRAD said:

I only purchased the DLC and it upgraded my status

krypt0nian said:
I hate that all my characters have been renamed with a "_rdm" or some such after their names...

Sucks...
Did you check to see if you have re-name tokens in your inventory for those characters? I know that active users got them if their characters were renamed after the servers merged...

RADRAD said:

Yeah, as others have said, I don't believe this is accurate.

krypt0nian said:
I hate that all my characters have been renamed with a "_rdm" or some such after their names...

Sucks...
I think if you stay logged in on the characters that are affected by this it'll give you a prompt for a name change. I'm not sure if this is still going but it doesn't hurt to try.

EDIT: Or rename tokens like above.

Toki767

RADRAD said:

They were having problems before but I think it's fixed now. If you don't have Premium after buying the DLC I suggest e-mailing SOE.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Mercury Fred said:
Hard light powerset
Three "T2" or hard mode 4-man alerts
A new duo
A bunch of new armor and weapon styles (Guy Gardner vest!)

So if i pay the DLc price i can get all of that? sweet!

Started playing this on PS3 last night, and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I do like their f2p system that doesn't completely hold back free players from levels and adventures. I definitely think I'll be paying some money for things in this game.

Dunlop

DanteRavenkin said:
Started playing this on PS3 last night, and I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I do like their f2p system that doesn't completely hold back free players from levels and adventures. I definitely think I'll be paying some money for things in this game.

You had no problems in the starting zone? I am concerned now that the problem is with my connection.

My PS3 is connected wirelessly, but I am able to stream HD feeds from Netflix or externam media without an issue.

That would suck as the DLC is not tranferable

Dunlop said:
You had no problems in the starting zone? I am concerned now that the problem is with my connection.

My PS3 is connected wirelessly, but I am able to stream HD feeds from Netflix or externam media without an issue.

That would suck as the DLC is not tranferable

No I didn't have any issues. My PS3 is set up wireless as well. If you were having issues, it may have been glitches from the server or what have you. I hope it stops giving you grief though, cause it's a lot of fun!

RPGCrazied

Going to try this out, but man, such a huge download at 14gigs. I only have 750meg so far, I guess I won't be playing until tonight.

Mikey Jr. said:
Any suggestions on what a newbies first character should be?
It all depends.

As for movement, I would avoid making an acrobat. Flight is the easiest movement to use but Speed (imo) has the best powers.

I might say nature as it seems the most versatile of all the types. But it all depends on your play style.

Roto13

Well, the maintenance didn't help the stability problem I've been having. Maybe I should just delete it.

Roto13 said:
Well, the maintenance didn't help the stability problem I've been having. Maybe I should just delete it.

Why not just wait a few days for the servers to calm down instead of deleting what took so long to download?

Dunlop

DanteRavenkin said:
No I didn't have any issues. My PS3 is set up wireless as well. If you were having issues, it may have been glitches from the server or what have you. I hope it stops giving you grief though, cause it's a lot of fun!

yeah, looks it.

I played WOW (25 man raiding)/Rift/MMO FOTM...and have 0 issues with connectivety/lag so I was assuming this morning that it was the servers

Top Bottom