• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Wallach

Ezduo said:
Well, I was in the middle of creating a character when the fucking server crashed or something so I'll ask here before I go back and try again: would a gadget, acrobatic, hand blaster character be any fun? I couldn't decide between hand blaster and dual wield pistol but I figured probably a lot of people went the pistol route so I thought the hand blasting might be a little more fun.

Hah! Lucky for you I have two level thirty characters: one Gadget/Acrobat/Dual Pistol and the other... is the same except he took Hand Blaster!

Mind you, my perspective is a little dated since I haven't played in quite a while, but I think both weapon types worked pretty well for Gadgets. Personally, I favored Dual Pistol for two reasons:

- Back when I played, one of the Gadgets buffs (Intimidation) was like a stun/dmg proc that worked much better one of Dual Pistols' primary AoE attacks (Full Auto)

- Dual Pistols are more mobile and had a nice flow between attacks that moved your character, and I'm the kind of player that likes to be as mobile as possible in combat

Playstyle wise, Dual Pistols is more about fast, multi-hit combos and abilities that chain into each other while changing your physical position (like a multi-shot move while jumping backwards, or diving forwards) while Hand Blasters is a very stationary weapon set that focuses more on damage per hit than number of hits. It's not as skewed as the 2H Weapon set in that regard, but for the most part the big hitters in Hand Blaster are low hit count combos. I also preferred staying at range as a Controller and I found that Hand Blaster felt a little more limited in that regard, mostly relying on one particular lighting-beam style move that I can't remember the name of right now.

In the end, you're going to have enough skill points to max out multiple weapon sets if you work on building up your character after level 30. It's more just about what weapon you're going to start with and work on first. For my playstyle I found Dual Pistol suited Gadgets a little better; when I got my Hand Blaster guy to 30 I maxed out Bows as well and was using that quite a lot compared to my Hand Blasters, whereas my Dual Pistol guy only really built up other weapon skill trees for the passives.

Jagxyz

Ezduo said:
Well, I was in the middle of creating a character when the fucking server crashed or something so I'll ask here before I go back and try again: would a gadget, acrobatic, hand blaster character be any fun? I couldn't decide between hand blaster and dual wield pistol but I figured probably a lot of people went the pistol route so I thought the hand blasting might be a little more fun.

Just a heads up, you can respec whenever you want and choose a new weapon set. Don't worry too much about what you start with.

(powers are unchangeable, though.)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ezduo said:
You might have a tough time with Gadgets & Acrobats. Out of three movement modes Acrobats is the slowest one and the hardest one to get away with in PvP maps. It's easy to flee from a fight in the overworld with the acrobatic grapple line because of all the buildings surrounding you, but the PvP maps are either open spaces without anything to grapple to or small enclosed areas. As for Gadgets, I just find the powerset very boring and feel like they didn't put in thought in to the power trees. It might be best to try something else for your first character.

Weapon choice doesn't matter. At level 10 you unlock the ability to use the other weapon trees. You get more points to spend on weapon/movement trees by completing the in game achievements called feats. For every 100 feat points you get you receive an extra skill point to spend in the weapon/movement trees. The only cap for skill points is the amount of feats in the game and they keep adding more in every update/dlc. I think the current cap right now is like ~110 skill points.

KiteGr said:
I bought the PS3 version of the game about a week before going free. While the game wasn't free yet, it had a 1 month free time with it, so now I'm on legendary status.
Does this gives me any benefits aside from the temporary legendary status?

I'll give the game a chance and stick around till level 30, even though It didn't manage to impress me till now.
What takes Guild wars 2 so long anyway?...

BTW: Name is "Inadequacy", a lvl 9 Villain with flames and an assault rifle on the European PS3 server.
And thanks OP. I didn't know I was supposed to be a tank till now.
You get permanent Premium status when your sub expires without having to spend an extra $5 and I think you get to keep Fight for the Light DLC for free even if you decide not to renew.

Killthee said:
You get permanent Premium status when your sub expires without having to spend an extra $5 and I think you get to keep Fight for the Light DLC for free even if you decide not to renew.
I wish they did but after the account screwup that I got (which still hasn't been fixed) I didn't have access to the DLC but I could still use the Light character I created.

Killthee

Professor Beef said:
What's bad about Gadgets?
The bottom half of both its trees are pretty weak and one tree has 3 pets (turrets) in a game where pets completely suck. It needs an overhaul and I don't believe the devs will ever bother with it.

Dacon said:
Game keeps crashing on me in character creation too.
Servers are getting hammered. It's gonna be rough the next couple of days and possibly weeks for the PS3 versions.

HarryDemeanor said:
I wish they did but after the account screwup that I got (which still hasn't been fixed) I didn't have access to the DLC but I could still use the Light character I created.
That's lame. I'm hoping that the lack of expiration date for the DLC in the PS3 version means we get to keep it even if our subs are inactive.

Killthee said:
The bottom half of both its trees are pretty weak and one tree has 3 pets (turrets) in a game where pets completely suck. It needs an overhaul and I don't believe the devs will ever bother with it.
Oh, ew. Well I'm switching to the PC version for now, so I'll be making a new character anyways. I would have already, but I can't connect to the server. I'll try again in a day or two.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I'm solrac on USPC hero side if anyone from GAF wants to add me.

Consider yourself added, solrac. :)

Maxrpg said:
I'm looking for gaf pc us pve players! Name is Soulblaze

Same to you, Max.

Also, Beef, I'll add you to my in-game friends list once you have that all set up.

Mxrz

I did a little bit of the beta, but couldn't get into it. I'm a huge DC fan so I wanted to try it again, and I'm back to having issues. I really want to like the game, especially since they went F2P, but it feels like I can't find a mentor & power set I'm really clicking with.

Rerolling and the intro dungeon make it feel a little tedious to keep trying trial and error so if anyone has any tips I'm all ears. Huge Wonder Woman fan, so I *want* her for a mentor but so far her quest line feels the most blah. Does the game feature any kind of respec options for skills/powers?

So far I've tried.

Beta: Flight / Ice / Brawl / Wonder Woman. - Zzz.
Beta: Speed / Sorcery / Handblaster / Joker. - Lot of fun here, sexy female character. End of beta so don't remember too much.

F2P: Flight / Fire / Brawl / Wonder Woman. - Quests still bleh, brawl feels so slow. Fire, like Ice, doesn't seem like it is doing anything yet.
F2P: Flight / Mystic / Handblaster / Lex. - Quests more interesting than WW. Handblast is fun, but feels like little dmg. Mystic seems like it might be a hoot, or completely terrible. Thinking Joker or Circe might've been more fun. Not sure i want to reroll just for that.

All I really want to do is fly around, beat up stuff, keep myself alive, and maybe not take forever to kill groups of enemies solo. Thinking Brawl just isn't for me. Might try 1 Handed, and Nature or Sorcery next.

Kingbrave

I've had a guy on the Pc Pvp for awhile, don't remember his name. I just made a ps3 pvp hero... TheBrave if anyone wants to beat shit up!

Wallach

I've only been able to actually get in-game for like 5 minutes today, it's been down the rest of the time. All of my characters were re-named and I couldn't load the marketplace or access a mailbox even while I was active to see if I had access to any tokens to correct it. I'll probably just wait until tomorrow.

Also they're trying to patch in something to let the Legendary folks (the ones who are paying) get to the front of the queue so they're not stuck behind a bunch of free people. That's the current problem; the free folks have plugged the system up and no one can get in. Not really their fault or anything, of course.

Killthee

Mxrz said:
I did a little bit of the beta, but couldn't get into it. I'm a huge DC fan so I wanted to try it again, and I'm back to having issues. I really want to like the game, especially since they went F2P, but it feels like I can't find a mentor & power set I'm really clicking with.

Rerolling and the intro dungeon make it feel a little tedious to keep trying trial and error so if anyone has any tips I'm all ears. Huge Wonder Woman fan, so I *want* her for a mentor but so far her quest line feels the most blah. Does the game feature any kind of respec options for skills/powers?

So far I've tried.

Beta: Flight / Ice / Brawl / Wonder Woman. - Zzz.
Beta: Speed / Sorcery / Handblaster / Joker. - Lot of fun here, sexy female character. End of beta so don't remember too much.

F2P: Flight / Fire / Brawl / Wonder Woman. - Quests still bleh, brawl feels so slow. Fire, like Ice, doesn't seem like it is doing anything yet.
F2P: Flight / Mystic / Handblaster / Lex. - Quests more interesting than WW. Handblast is fun, but feels like little dmg. Mystic seems like it might be a hoot, or completely terrible. Thinking Joker or Circe might've been more fun. Not sure i want to reroll just for that.

All I really want to do is fly around, beat up stuff, keep myself alive, and maybe not take forever to kill groups of enemies solo. Thinking Brawl just isn't for me. Might try 1 Handed, and Nature or Sorcery next.
I love the Beastimorph vs Amazons theme behind Wonder Woman's and Circe's quests but I think Gina Torres was a crummy choice for WW. Give Circe a try, her 3 mentor missions revolve around the same theme as WW's (Beastimorphs vs Amazons) but it's a lot more fun beating up the Amazons and Michelle Forbes does a fantastic performance as Circe. Also give Nature a shot as your power set and make sure you pick up Wolf Form asap. It'll morph you into a brawling superspeed wolf and give you a damage buff plus since nature is a healer you'll be able to do some self heals. If the wolf brawling isn't working out for you try Sorcery with either Handblasters, Dual Pistols, or a Staff. It'll be rough starting out, but Sorcery does a lot of AOE damage once you get access to Circle of Protection.

Mentor, movement, and power set are all locked. It looks like they'll be adding movement and power set respec tokens to the real cash marketplace in the near future but we don't know any of the details or cost. Power points and skill points (weapon/movement tree points) can be respec at any time in game for in game cash. It does get quite expensive if you keep using the respec machine back to back though ($500, $800, $1200, all the way up to ~$2000 and then it resets). There's also a reset timer that will reset the cost back down to $500 if you don't use the machine for 48 hours or something like that. At lv 10 you unlock all the other weapon trees and can specialize in a new weapon by earning more skill points.

NihonTiger90 said:
Also they're trying to patch in something to let the Legendary folks (the ones who are paying) get to the front of the queue so they're not stuck behind a bunch of free people. That's the current problem; the free folks have plugged the system up and no one can get in. Not really their fault or anything, of course.
Really shitty of SOE to launch F2P without having the priority log in system in place.

Mxrz

It is all my rerolling, obviously.

* Anyone tried the Subway "1 Free month legendary Access to DCU" yet? Curious if, like most F2P, subbing a month auto bump up to premium after it ends. Doubt it in this case, but still. * Oh bleh. PC only and excludes exisiting accounts. Also apparently 7 days = 1 month.

Killthee said:
Ah ha. So I'm not so silly for being put off by her voice, or at least not alone.

At this point I'm going to snag something to bump me up to premium for more character slots just so I don't have to reroll so much. I heard something about the DLC being free on the Aussie PSN, but honestly the game is decent enough to at least drop $5-$10 on. Being able to actually get the items from npc emails would be nice too, although that one strikes me as a really weird limitation, at least as far as NPC mail.

Played quite a bit last night. Liked the game enough to get the DLC and get bumped up to mid-tier.

Gonna make a light controller now. Thinking hand blasters for weapons. Any tips from the vets?

(I'm on the PS3 PvP server fwiw.)

Wallach

Hey, I managed to get into the server for a minute again. Had a free rename ticket and managed to get the name Wallach back. Sweet. I think my alt's name (Metzger) is forever lost, though. Annoying!

Was surprised at how many free tokens they had thrown at me since I left. I think I can buy another piece of robo-Batman armor and I haven't played in ages, heh.

Killthee

Micromegas said:
Played quite a bit last night. Liked the game enough to get the DLC and get bumped up to mid-tier.

Gonna make a light controller now. Thinking hand blasters for weapons. Any tips from the vets?

(I'm on the PS3 PvP server fwiw.)
Hand blasters, dual pistols, and bow work really well with controllers cause they're easy to to combo and you regen power faster by maintaining your weapon combo. Superspeed also works really well with a troll cause one of its powers (Speed Drain) instantly regens the power bar for everyone in the group.

For the solo stuff, make sure you pick up Claws, Whip Thrash, Chainsaw, Ram, and Hand Clap under your power trees. You can do an infinite power combo by going Claws -> Whip -> Hand Clap -> Chainsaw -> Ram -> Whip. Read the descriptions for the powers and try to find a combo you like.

Measley said:
That's really shitty. PvP is a lot of fun and I can't imagine myself still playing this game if PS3 had macro cheaters like the PC version does.

RPGCrazied

11.5gig downloaded. I'm guessing tomorrow I'll get to play. Playing Batman: Arkham City since day 1 going to make this game nice to get into. I tried champions online, but just couldn't get into it. Is this better or worse?

Ashodin

RPGCrazied said:
11.5gig downloaded. I'm guessing tomorrow I'll get to play. Playing Batman: Arkham City since day 1 going to make this game nice to get into. I tried champions online, but just couldn't get into it. Is this better or worse?
Better fight wise, shittier customize wise.

WillyFive

Took 8 hours to download.

Took 10 minutes to load to the character creator.

Spent 15 minutes making a character I liked.

It disconnected, losing everything.

I am now 5,000 something in queue for logging in.

This game was not ready. The loading screens don't even have background music to pass the time.

Toki767

I'm just stuck on the Joker loading screen now. This ran so smooth yesterday. Seems like everyone picked today to start.

Toki767 said:
I'm just stuck on the Joker loading screen now. This ran so smooth yesterday. Seems like everyone picked today to start.

Pretty much. And SOE underestimated it.

Still, once you get in, it'll be worth it. Just got to wait a bit for things to cool down, I guess. I was on right after it launched without a problem and it actually seemed to be running smoother, if anything.

Shouta

I may give this a shot for fun I tried gettin back into City of Heroes but wasn't feeling it anymore

Sblargh

Banned
I just learned how to read. Apparently if I get back, I'll be a premium member, losing only features I don't really care about.
Next week I'll be on a trip, after that, I might just delete all my former characters and start again on this brand new world.

Professor Beef said:
It is, but the download time (for me at least) was much, much longer.

I already have it installed and I guess a lot of stuff is downloaded since I used to play it and PS+ downloaded a bunch of patches from it. But I'll see, thanks for the heads up.

ElRenoRaven

Well things aren't looking good for PC players

As folks have seen we have had some major issues today keeping our US Servers up and running. We are working very hard to correct the problem and we will be keeping the servers down until we can deploy new software to help us fix the issues. The response to our new Free to Play model has been overwhelming (literally) and we are very excited about all the new players in the game. We are working hard to make sure DC Universe Online is the best experience possible.

I will continue to post to the Annoucements forums with updates. Thank you for you patience.

Lorin Jameson

'DeadMeat'

tim1138

Their Facebook page says they're experiencing issues on both the US PC and PS3 servers, hopefully they get it sorted out soon. I've been able to make a hero and villain character but not much more than that.

Mxrz

Thing I noticed lastnight on the PS3.

The sound from voices and attack sounds went completely mute, while other things were fine. Happen to me during the Power Girl instance, and I had no clue what the hell was going on without any subtitles. - That a common glitch or?

Mxrz said:
Thing I noticed lastnight on the PS3.

The sound from voices and attack sounds went completely mute, while other things were fine. Happen to me during the Power Girl instance, and I had no clue what the hell was going on without any subtitles. - That a common glitch or?

Used to be a pretty common (and easily fixable) glitch.

Killthee

Same announcement on the PS3 side.

DeadMeat said:
Updated USPS3 Server Status

As folks have seen we have had some major issues today keeping our US Servers up and running. We are working very hard to correct the problem and we will be keeping the servers down until we can deploy new software to help us fix the issues. The response to our new Free to Play model has been overwhelming (literally) and we are very excited about all the new players in the game. We are working hard to make sure DC Universe Online is the best experience possible.

I will continue to post to the Announcements forums with updates. Thank you for you patience.

Lorin Jameson

'DeadMeat'

Executive Producer, DC Universe Online.

Sblargh said:
PS3 version also free?
I might just ressurrect it.
Yeah, it's free.

WillyFive

Sblargh said:
I think my standard behavior torwards MMO from now on is to wait until they are F2P.

Pretty much.

Sucks for The Old Republic though, being such a very big budget game at a time when MMO's are all going to a new business model.

JWong

Banned
Willy105 said:
Pretty much.

Sucks for The Old Republic though, being such a very big budget game at a time when MMO's are all going to a new business model.
Doubt it's going F2P ever if it has a strong launch.

WAR isn't even F2P, right?

Top Bottom