• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT2| Free to play is now live

Wallach

I might re-download this and poke around a bit now that it is F2P. Has Gadgets been reworked at all? My main character was Gadgets/Dual Pistol/Acrobat, and for the most part he was pretty fun. There just wasn't a lot of stuff to do when I quit.

Wallach said:
I might re-download this and poke around a bit now that it is F2P. Has Gadgets been reworked at all? My main character was Gadgets/Dual Pistol/Acrobat, and for the most part he was pretty fun. There just wasn't a lot of stuff to do when I quit.
Gadgets did get a boost-- they're actually pretty viable as a DPS class now.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Can I build a Tank character with the Light powers?
Nope, light is controller/ dps only.

Wallach

Mercury Fred said:
Gadgets did get a boost-- they're actually pretty viable as a DPS class now.

Nice. Hopefully DP is still a good weapon set for them, I enjoy it way more than any of the other weapon types.

I'd check their forums for info but it seems to be super slow right now.

gogojira

Sounds like they're seeing some (early) success. SOE boss John Smedley just tweeted this:

"wow. Over 120k PC registrations in 2 days for DCUO PC. 4x concurrent increase. Big TV and online campaign coming later in November."

I'll be checking it out on PC later today.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AndyD said:
Hmm, should I play PC or PS3 gaf?
PC is more stable, looks better, and has controller support. PS3 version has less PvP cheaters (supposedly a lot of people use macros in the PC version). They both get updates at around the same time because they hold back the PC updates until the PS3 updates pass QA.

If you want to PvP you might wanna go with the PS3 version, otherwise PC all the way.

xKilltheMx said:
@AndyD PS3 so I have more gaffers on my friends list

So what's the general consensus on light powers? Worth the 10?
Yes. Combo chaining powers is unique to it and because of it it plays like none of the other powers.

ElRenoRaven

Seems that both PS3 and PC login servers are screwed at the moment. Invalid subscriptions errors for most trying to log in.

The End

Killthee said:
Yes. Combo chaining powers is unique to it and because of it it plays like none of the other powers.

any idea what'll happen if I pay for a month of legendary, built a light character, then drop to premium?

(this is becoming a theme with me I apologize)

Killthee

The End said:
any idea what'll happen if I pay for a month of legendary, built a light character, then drop to premium?

(this is becoming a theme with me I apologize)
You'll lose access to the instances, but you won't lose the character. If you want to play the instances or make a new light character you'll have to either resub or buy the dlc a la carte.

ElRenoRaven

SLV said:
Yup, same !

Sucks cause on PC was had just finished the stuff to take down the Scarecrow and couldn't leave the instance via it's exit or warp. So I had to exit and got the log in errors. Then I was playing the PS3 version and switch characters and bam invalid subscription error.

IronLich

Toki767 said:
They were having problems before but I think it's fixed now. If you don't have Premium after buying the DLC I suggest e-mailing SOE.

My apologies. It didn't upgrade me at first, and people were talking about how that's a nice way to ensure the Premium upgrade, so I didn't want to see people lead astray, but I don't want to cause confusion and such, so I'll just shut up now.

Ezduo

Banned
Any suggested classes, weapons, powers, to avoid? Why would I choose anything other than flying? Gadgets really suck huh?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm trying to like this and give it a fair shot, but I've got to be brutally honest it's not really grabbing me from the off like it should.

I've loads of MMO experience, from UO / DAoC / SWG / WoW, hell even DnD F2P, and all of them grabbed me enough at the beginning to lose several nights, some like UO, SWG
and WoW had me in thrall for months / years.

But just not feeling the same vibe yet from DCUO, and I fear once the Tribes Ascend beta starts tomorrow it's going to just waste HDD space until I get around to removing it.

Grinchy

Banned
I still have my PS3 copy but I kind of feel like trying the PC one out. I can output it to my TV, actually play in 1080p, all with my ps3 controller. That sounds kinda nice.

Osiris said:
I'm trying to like this and give it a fair shot, but I've got to be brutally honest it's not really grabbing me from the off like it should.

I've loads of MMO experience, from UO / DAoC / SWG / WoW, hell even DnD F2P, and all of them grabbed me enough at the beginning to lose several nights, some like UO, SWG
and WoW had me in thrall for months / years.

But just not feeling the same vibe yet from DCUO, and I fear once the Tribes Ascend beta starts tomorrow it's going to just waste HDD space until I get around to removing it.

Wow, I would have thought the active combat would. It's what got me. It feels so tight.

Think of it as a persistent world Marvel: Ultimate Alliance maybe? :)

Mercury Fred said:
Did you check to see if you have re-name tokens in your inventory for those characters? I know that active users got them if their characters were renamed after the servers merged...

Ooh I'll check once the server issues this morning are solved.

Jagxyz

Jaguarxyz on PSN if anyone wants to add me!

Have a level 30 healer, pretty geared, so I can run anything.

Is there a GAF PS3 league?

DodgerSan

gogojira said:
Sounds like they're seeing some (early) success. SOE boss John Smedley just tweeted this:

"wow. Over 120k PC registrations in 2 days for DCUO PC. 4x concurrent increase. Big TV and online campaign coming later in November."

Which is why EVERY MMO needs either a short open beta before release, or a free trial. Given the opportunity to not blow money on a game they might not like, a lot of people will check it out.

Jagxyz

DodgerSan said:
Which is why EVERY MMO needs either a short open beta before release, or a free trial. Given the opportunity to not blow money on a game they might not like, a lot of people will check it out.

100%, not many will put down 60 + 15/mo for something they can't test.

Killthee

Ezduo said:
Any suggested classes, weapons, powers, to avoid? Why would I choose anything other than flying? Gadgets really suck huh?
Just Gadgets and Acrobats. Superspeed has a really good move for Controllers (Speed Drain) so keep that in mind if you're making a troll.

Toki767

Killthee said:
Just Gadgets and Acrobats. Superspeed has a really good move for Controllers (Speed Drain) so keep that in mind if you're making a troll.
It's sad that Batman can basically be categorized as a Gadget/Acrobat person and he's awesome but having one yourself sucks.

Rokal

Osiris said:

The combat is the selling point of the game. That said, when this launched I played a character with superman as my mentor. I didn't realize that superman/wonder woman would dump you in Metropolis for quests, while batman puts you in Gotham city. I had a much easier time connecting to the missions in Gotham. Consider rolling a character with a different mentor if you're a bigger fan of the Superman/Batman areas and villains.

Rokal said:
The combat is the selling point of the game. That said, when this launched I played a character with superman as my mentor. I didn't realize that superman/wonder woman would dump you in Metropolis for quests, while batman puts you in Gotham city. I had a much easier time connecting to the missions in Gotham. Consider rolling a character with a different mentor if you're a bigger fan of the Superman/Batman areas and villains.
As the game progresses, you'll have quests in either city regardless of your mentor. Although, yes, if you have Batman you'll have more quests in Gotham.

But, off the top of my head, non-Batman players get a Bane arc, a Batwoman arc, a Black Adam/ Isis arc, a Riddler arc, a Poison Ivy arc and an OMAC arc, all taking place in Gotham.

Akkad

Banned
Just made a hero on the PS3 BigIceFella, so you can add me I guess. I played the game when it first came out for a few months, so I'm not new to the game but I forgot a lot about it.

SLV

Can someone tell me why it is loading forever after i create my character ?
PC...

It keeps downloading stuff at about 10-50 kbps for a while 10-15 secs, then it drops to background traffic, and keeps on loading forever...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
gogojira said:

Turbine had similar results with D&D and LOTRO. F2P is the new hotness for MMOs for a reason.

AndyD said:
Hmm, should I play PC or PS3 gaf?

PC so I have someone from GAF besides myself on my friends list, for Pete's sake.

Also, I can't log in right now. Have tried multiple times today. The queue is too long and I time out.

Rokal

Mercury Fred said:
As the game progresses, you'll have quests in either city regardless of your mentor. Although, yes, if you have Batman you'll have more quests in Gotham.

I'm sure it eventually evens out, but I was bored of the game after only 2-3 hours of Metropolis quests. If people are saying "this game isn't hooking me", they may want to opt for a change of scenery.

Killthee said:
If you want to PvP you might wanna go with the PS3 version, otherwise PC all the way.

Also, this is true, though there are long-rumored fixes to eliminate the people using macros to game the PvP parts on the way. Hopefully.

DiscoJer

Htown said:
Turbine had similar results with D&D and LOTRO. F2P is the new hotness for MMOs for a reason.

Yeah, but after the initial burst of players, it usually goes back to more normal amounts of players.

The difference though, under free, the players that stay typically spend more than $15 a month...

Ezduo

Banned
Well, I was in the middle of creating a character when the fucking server crashed or something so I'll ask here before I go back and try again: would a gadget, acrobatic, hand blaster character be any fun? I couldn't decide between hand blaster and dual wield pistol but I figured probably a lot of people went the pistol route so I thought the hand blasting might be a little more fun.

KiteGr

I bought the PS3 version of the game about a week before going free. While the game wasn't free yet, it had a 1 month free time with it, so now I'm on legendary status.
Does this gives me any benefits aside from the temporary legendary status?

I'll give the game a chance and stick around till level 30, even though It didn't manage to impress me till now.
What takes Guild wars 2 so long anyway?...

BTW: Name is "Inadequacy", a lvl 9 Villain with flames and an assault rifle on the European PS3 server.
And thanks OP. I didn't know I was supposed to be a tank till now.

Top Bottom