• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
People hated this episode too? I thought it was one of the better ones for legends, wasn't amazing but it was better than arrows episode.

An ok episode , plagued with stupid sub plot , not nearly enough action , bad direction and enough plot holes to make a nice cheese.

The best legend episode yet , but so below average

foxtrot3d

Banned
'It's asking him a lot to fucking act.'

Given the fact that he regularly works 12+ hour days nine months of the year, has a young kid, has a side business, regularly does conventions, and still agreed to take time out from his busy schedule to guest star on another TV show as an older version of Oliver Queen? Yeah, I'd say it was a bit much to expect a stunning performance.

Cry me a river, none of that is an excuse for a poor performance.

How does that future "not exist" if they're already there. 😄

Everything not fixed in time , can be changed afterwards by time travelling .

That future was real but only a possibility as they are still alive and thus can come back to 2016 to do something else. it doesn't exist because it's not "set"

If they crashed and couldn't repair the ship nor travel back , if would certainly have been a set event , since the timeline would have been as " they went but never came back "

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought this was one was surprisingly boring, especially since we were seeing Star City in the future. The premise was better than the execution. The conflict between Cold and Heat Wave was the best part, but even that whole plot was rushed. And the love triangle aboard the ship was just a time filler.

It wasn't a complete stinker, just painfully average in every way. I did enjoy the banter between Jax and Stein, and them playing off their connection.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wish they could have done a two-parter stuck in 2046. Have the first episode revolve around Connor and Kid Deathstroke and build him up more as a threat, maybe explore Connor's vulnerabilities more, then end the first episode with the Old Man Oliver reveal.

Anyway, still enjoyed the episode. Would love to see more of Connor and Old Oliver getting their shit together.

Joni

Everything not fixed in time , can be changed afterwards by time travelling .

That future was real but only a possibility as they are still alive and thus can come back to 2016 to do something else. it doesn't exist because it's not "set"

If they crashed and couldn't repair the ship nor travel back , if would certainly have been a set event , since the timeline would have been as " they went but never came back "

Well, they could change anything anywhere but everything before 2016 has the risk of them not timetravelling.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Finally caught up. The whole premise seemed cool from the cliffhanger last episode. But it felt it was too rushed. Deathstroke's son? Cool but didn't really expand unless he'll come back at some point.

I doubt Ray and Sarah would make a difference during the uprising. Doesn't stay always find someway to mess it up?

Old Oliver, even thirty years later he's still rocking the same damn hairstyle. Even Old Ollie has the Amell pause! Things never change.

And why does Sarah always look like she just got out of the shower? Her hair looks wet all the time. Am I seeing things??

How does that future "not exist" if they're already there. 😄
The synopsis actually answers this one: technically everything we've seen is the past to Rip Hunter, so either none of it should exist, or it all can't be changed.

Also, Flash can time travel. So nyah! =P

The synopsis actually answers this one: technically everything we've seen is the past to Rip Hunter, so either none of it should exist, or it all can't be changed.

Also, Flash can time travel. So nyah! =P

I assume it can all be changed which is why the time masters didn't want Rip Hunter to change anything. But Rip is blinded by grief so he doesn't care anymore, but destroying Savage would be disastrous given how significant he is throughout history.

Even attempting to stop him resulted in a messed up future (Firestorm experiments).

iosefe

I assume it can all be changed which is why the time masters didn't want Rip Hunter to change anything. But Rip is blinded by grief so he doesn't care anymore, but destroying Savage would be disastrous given how significant he is throughout history.

Even attempting to stop him resulted in a messed up future (Firestorm experiments).
So the only chance to Kill him is right before his total uprising. In a time that doesn't affect any of the main characters, but changes everything for Rip

Joni

So the only chance to Kill him is right before his total uprising. In a time that doesn't affect any of the main characters, but changes everything for Rip
Yes, but that is to be expected. Or at least after 2016. Savage can't be dead before the cross-over episode happened anyway.

Cafeman

When this week's Future Star City ep started, I felt excited to watch it. But by the end, as with nearly all LoT eps, I found it boring and unsatisfying. Something is wrong with this show, it isn't even close to firing on all cylinders. And it has a lot of cylinders.

The subplot of "who has the hots for Kendra" was filled with such obvious and predictable scenes and dialogue. I think Jax is the worst-written character on this show. Followed by adorable but growing-ever-more-boring Kendra.

Heat Wave's cool subplot shows his character's true self, and was very interesting. But it was way too rushed and mild!! This ep should have been 2 episodes, with a cliffhanger in the middle. And let Heat Wave off his leash please. If he really wants to see the world burn ... why is he never burning anything?

Also consider the 2nd villainous character on the team - Captain Cold. Snart. He freeze gun is like a battery-powered lightsaber - it seems to do no damage at all! It doesn't freeze enough of the background. They are blowing the potential cool factor of Cold & Heat Wave.

Am i too critical or do you agree with any of this?

kmfdmpig

People hated this episode too? I thought it was one of the better ones for legends, wasn't amazing but it was better than arrows episode.

I agree. This might have been my favorite. I still think Legends is well behind Flash and a bit behind Arrow, but this episode worked for me.

ZeroX03

Banned
When this week's Future Star City ep started, I felt excited to watch it. But by the end, as with nearly all LoT eps, I found it boring and unsatisfying. Something is wrong with this show, it isn't even close to firing on all cylinders. And it has a lot of cylinders.

The subplot of "who has the hots for Kendra" was filled with such obvious and predictable scenes and dialogue. I think Jax is the worst-written character on this show. Followed by adorable but growing-ever-more-boring Kendra.

Heat Wave's cool subplot shows his character's true self, and was very interesting. But it was way too rushed and mild!! This ep should have been 2 episodes, with a cliffhanger in the middle. And let Heat Wave off his leash please. If he really wants to see the world burn ... why is he never burning anything?

Also consider the 2nd villainous character on the team - Captain Cold. Snart. He freeze gun is like a battery-powered lightsaber - it seems to do no damage at all! It doesn't freeze enough of the background. They are blowing the potential cool factor of Cold & Heat Wave.

This show is fun and boring at the same time it's strange

I agree there's something not quite right about the show. I think it's great fun, but there's nothing quite pulling me into the show like the other two. Maybe it's the Rip/Hawk/Savage plot not really working, it throws everything else off. On an individual basis most of the characters are working very well for me.

Skux

1) Agreed, I think the show is currently trying to too hard to represent the whole ensemble every episode and giving them something to do every week without stopping to think about whether their contribution will be interesting or relevant. This week's episode should really have been focused on Star City. They don't need to work other characters in if they aren't part of the action.

2) I said earlier, a two parter would have become tiresome, especially when Rip states that it's only a potential timeline. It's a nice window into a future Star City but the things they did in this episode are largely inconsequential and getting the audience to care about Future Ollie and Diggle and Wilson (who presumably won't exist once the Legends complete their mission) is a tough ask.

3) The heat and cold guns are strangely depowered in this show compared to their appearance on the Flash. I think it's primarily a budget decision, but also a moral one - the Legends are the good guys of the show and showing them use lethal weapons would be distasteful. Even though we know it happens, it's better to not show it - the same way we never see the countless civilians killed during the set pieces of the Avengers movies. It keeps the tone of the show more focused on the entertainment and adventure rather than the harsher realities of survival.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I agree there's something not quite right about the show. I think it's great fun, but there's nothing quite pulling me into the show like the other two. Maybe it's the Rip/Hawk/Savage plot not really working, it throws everything else off. On an individual basis most of the characters are working very well for me.

Their endgame just isn't interesting for me. I'm not really impressed by Savage at all. Him having a cult of followers and rewarding them with increased lifespans was about as cool as they ever got with his whole thing. It would be nice if some of his followers show up throughout the show.

I think they're just trying to juggle too much. It's an ensemble show, but every single character doesn't need a plotline every week. You can put Heat Wave or Kendra or whoever on the backburner for an episode. Have them participate in the fight, give a couple one liners throughout the episode, but getting everyone involved in a plot on a weekly basis just isn't working.

Star City 2046 should have been Sara with the A Plot, and Heat Wave and Cold with the B. That's it

Luigi87

Yeah I agree that while the show is entertaining, I'm not drawn to it like the other series.

... Probably because it's time travel shenanigans and I feel no matter what they do, it lacks the impact and doesn't feel as important as to say what Oliver and Barry are doing in the present.

Basically I guess because they're going to be "legends" it's that none of their accomplishments will really be acknowledged. The show while set in the same universe technically is more standalone than Arrow or the Flash, which easily link up to each other and feel more connected.

I feel like this would have been better executed as a series that didn't involve time travel (Sorry Rip). Just a hero team-up in another city.

ZeroX03

Banned
Having a new location every second episode probably doesn't help. Hard to ground the show and build a world when the Waverider is the only constant.

I figure these problems are something a non-time traveling S2 of Legends will fix.

Also what happened to Sara Diggle? Oh and if people didn't notice, Star Labs (aka Cisco) built Oliver's mechanical arm.

Santiako

They should really just make the show about the Prison Break brothers hopping through time to be the baddest sons of bitches of all time. The rest are just filler.

ZeroX03

Banned
Technically the man who mastered absolute zero would win, but Legends' Cold is pretty much just the man who mastered blue beams that knock people a few feet back.

Dysun

Just caught up with the last 4 episodes. Really good, and the cast works great together. I'm surprised by how much I like it

Klyka

Banned
I am still 100% amazed that they made Heatwave basically the best character on the show.

HEATWAVE of all characters!

Do you remember before the show came out how people were mocking Cold and Heatwave being in this? Like "Who wants to see those two rejects". AND NOW THEY ARE THE BEST PART OF THE SHOW.

ZeroX03

Banned
I am still 100% amazed that they made Heatwave basically the best character on the show.

Do you remember before the show came out how people were mocking Cold and Heatwave being in this? Like "Who wants to see those two rejects". AND NOW THEY ARE THE BEST PART OF THE SHOW.

Nobody worth respecting was criticizing Captain Cold prior to the show.

Chariot

I don't think the Rogues were ever in question. Not from Flash fans or anyone who remotely knows about them.

God, now that I think about it, the entire scene where Rip was explaining about how the future isn't set doesn't make any sense.

Rip Hunter said:
You've all seen how the timeline is malleable... in flux until it is set.

Rip and Whoever said:
This future is only a potential timeline.

So this... this version of Star City... this doesn't have to happen?

Correct. The future is always in flux.

Rip Hunter said:
Meddling with the future is arguably more dangerous than changing the past, because it is still in flux.

If the future from 2016 can be changed, then the past can too - Rip came from that period, so from his perspective everything is the past. His past is always someone else's future, and if this is in flux, then all pasts are in flux also, since they are, to someone, the malleable future. Ergo all periods of time, ever, are mutable and malleable. So it feels ridiculous to even talk about past/future as being distinct things with separate rules.

farisr

Yeah. The overarching Rip/Hawk/Savage story just isn't interesting to me so I'm not as invested into the show like I am with The Flash or Arrow. I'm honestly just watching the show for the characters and their interactions.

T Dollarz

Really surprising to me all the criticism this show is getting on here. I'm loving it, so much fun and I love every character. To see this show get criticized when I'm watching Arrow baffles me. Legends is leagues ahead of it just on pure fun and enjoyment, and all the characters are being way more fleshed out in believable ways. Sure, it has its flaws, and it's no Flash, but it's a fun watch at the very least.

farisr

Really surprising to me all the criticism this show is getting on here. I'm loving it, so much fun and I love every character. To see this show get criticized when I'm watching Arrow baffles me. Legends is leagues ahead of it just on pure fun and enjoyment, and all the characters are being way more fleshed out in believable ways. Sure, it has its flaws, and it's no Flash, but it's a fun watch at the very least.
I've pretty much skimmed through every page of this thread over the last 2 days, and I'm mostly seeing love. You can point out flaws and dumb character decisions yet still love the show.

At this point, for current season at least, this show seems more liked than Arrow.

Arrow is getting criticized like hell. Latest episode had everyone hating on it, way more than the occasional negative post here.

Sephzilla

The Star City episode was probably my favorite episode of LoT so far (probably because it felt less like a LoT episode and more like an Elseworld Arrow episode). I can already tell I'm going to be sick of this show by the end of the season though, because they're going to do everything in their power to milk out stopping Vandal Savage and ignore how easy it would be to actually eliminate him.

Joni

If the future from 2016 can be changed, then the past can too - Rip came from that period, so from his perspective everything is the past. His past is always someone else's future, and if this is in flux, then all pasts are in flux also, since they are, to someone, the malleable future. Ergo all periods of time, ever, are mutable and malleable. So it feels ridiculous to even talk about past/future as being distinct things with separate rules.
The only reason to expect the past to remain untouched is to avoid retconning the crossover episodes of Arrow and Flash.

Sephzilla

Also am I the only person who was irked a bit by Captain Cold and Heatwave basically finding out Oliver Queen is the Green Arrow?

Platy

Would be pretty hilarious if they do something stupid and then rip is erased from existence xD

Sephzilla

Sara only did so after Ray did, so that is fine.

Eh, I don't think so. What mostly bugs me is how nobody even reacts to it. Ray and Sara out Oliver as Green Arrow right in front of Cold and Heatwave and don't even take a second to realize it, and neither Cold or Heatwave react to it either. It was just sloppy.

Been watching the first 3 episodes and am enjoying myself, one gripe is why does Savage speak Arabic? unless they think ancient Egyptians somehow speak modern egyptian :D

Joni

Eh, I don't think so. What mostly bugs me is how nobody even reacts to it. Ray and Sara out Oliver as Green Arrow right in front of Cold and Heatwave and don't even take a second to realize it, and neither Cold or Heatwave react to it either. It was just sloppy.

I thought Snart gave a little look on the mention of Queen. But on the other hand, I wouldn't recognize any random billionaire son either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom