• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes because thats definitely what we need on a CW Superhero show, super racism.

Of course we don't need it, but don't have your show go to a small town in 1958 and then ignore what the world was actually like then.

The Jax, Ray/Kendra, and Sarah/nurse stuff would've caused a much bigger stir in real small town 1958 than it did here.

All the period stuff on this show never seems to go beyond a simple veneer, which I think weakens the show.

I refuse to believe that they killed Heatwave. Cold must have done something else than killing him, even though he looks like suffering now. Nice episode, and damn the breaks, damn them.

Effect

I refuse to believe that they killed Heatwave. Cold must have done something else than killing him, even though he looks like suffering now. Nice episode, and damn the breaks, damn them.

I do like they're leaving it as an unknown. If Snart didn't feel like he's upset and I'd say he was easily alive. It also looks like others have an idea of what might have happen but don't want to voice it either concern for Snart or perhaps just feeling that talking about it wouldn't change anything and make things awkward.

Thankfully Jax, being the youngest either doesn't think like that or is to straight forward to not want to talk about it. Or a combination of both. I think Snart also needed to hear he wasn't a bad person from someone . It's one thing to rationalize what you did being for the greater good but it's another thing to heave others confirm that to you directly and not fault you for what you did. Cold's clearly not a person that will open up to others in that way to see if they're still okay with him. Someone else very likely had to push that point.

They clearly didn't kill him. On any tv show that has ever existed it's almost always the case that no body=not dead.

Chariot

Worst episode so far by far.
It really made the worst out of the big cast, having the plot of the episode spread paperthin to make place for all the character stories, presenting bad looking monsters out of bad Doctor Who episodes and the need to spell every single thing out to the viewer. I was between bored and shaking my head about the sledgehammer method of telling us stuff we could see.

Joni

They have gone completely nuts with this episode. Love how they combine the weird superhero stuff with the racist 50s small town feeling.

strafer

tumblr_nz82kqsgGc1uutgwwo1_500.gif

jwk94

Started the episode and almost closed it when Jax went to sit with that girl at the ice cream place. I hate stuff that addresses racial tension back in the old days but damn Jax handled this rather well.

Sölf

After the last episode, I also think it's him.

The episode was bad btw. Didn't like it, it felt like it had too many plots with to little time to properly tell the story. I also didn't really liked the monster costumes, don't know. Felt like a cheap X-Files makeup.

Neoxon

To the surprise of nobody. Glad all 3 DC CW shows got renewed. Maybe now we can start the Constantine & Vixen hype train for LoT Season 2.

Remember when Bleeding Cool tried to say Legends was already cancelled? lol
It's the same site that claimed that the Inhumans movie & the Iron Fist Netflix series would get cancelled. Bleeding Cool has pretty much become the equivalent of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Though to their credit, Bleeding Cool does get some comic book scoops correct.

tim1138

To the surprise of nobody. Glad all 3 DC CW shows got renewed. Maybe now we can start the Constantine & Vixen hype train for LoT Season 2.

It's the same site that claimed that the Inhumans movie & the Iron Fist Netflix series would get cancelled. Bleeding Cool has pretty much become the equivalent of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Though to their credit, Bleeding Cool does get some comic book scoops correct.

Oh I know, I just enjoy when they are wrong.

Effect

Remember when Bleeding Cool tried to say Legends was already cancelled? lol

I thought that was because the show was so expensive that there might not be a season 2. We see how they only use Firestorm once in a while. So there was speculation it might only get one season. It made sense. It getting a season 2 very likely means we won't have to many special effects heavy characters next season or like now they'll come up with reasons for them to not use their powers as often. I certainly don't see The CW increasing Legends of Tomorrow's budget.

Now we just need a renewal announcement for Gotham and Lucifer. Those are the only DC shows that haven't gotten an announcement in either direction. The ratings for both are really good too.

ZeroX03

Banned

My name is John Constantine...

I thought that was because the show was so expensive that there might not be a season 2. We see how they only use Firestorm once in a while. So there was speculation it might only get one season. It made sense. It getting a season 2 very likely means we won't have to many special effects heavy characters next season or like now they'll come up with reasons for them to not use their powers as often. I certainly don't see The CW increasing Legends of Tomorrow's budget.

We still don't know for a fact how expensive the show is. And the logic that "too expensive" would mean cancellation in a world where TV shows almost always slash budgets between seasons doesn't hold. Especially silly since the story broke when something like two episodes had been shot and nothing aired, so they wouldn't have a good frame of reference to how profitable it would be.

Effect

We still don't know for a fact how expensive the show is. And the logic that "too expensive" would mean cancellation in a world where TV shows almost always slash budgets between seasons doesn't hold. Especially silly since the story broke when something like two episodes had been shot and nothing aired, so they wouldn't have a good frame of reference to how profitable it would be.

You're right. At the time they wouldn't have known how things would really be with the budget. Perhaps they did find a way to make it work where as it could have been just been the pilot that was the issue.

However there have been shows that have been cancelled for budget reasons. It's heavily speculated that Warehouse 13 was canceled by SyFy because they needed more money for Defiance at the time and that show itself was costing a lot. I don't think it was ultimately worth it though because they then canceled Defiance a year or two later. Warehouse 13 was a far better show. Also I think one of the producers for Eureka on SyFy actually said the budget was why that show was cancelled. Both shows were very popular and pulling in really good ratings.

True you can always cut budgets but those were two shows where if you did that you might as well as cancelled them and they did. Those shows could not take a significant budget hit for what they were doing and the quality they were putting out. Man I miss those shows.

Magwik

Banned
You're right. At the time they wouldn't have known how things would really be with the budget. Perhaps they did find a way to make it work where as it could have been just been the pilot that was the issue.

However there have been shows that have been cancelled for budget reasons. It's heavily speculated that Warehouse 13 was canceled by SyFy because they needed more money for Defiance at the time and that show itself was costing a lot. I don't think it was ultimately worth it though because they then canceled Defiance a year or two later. Warehouse 13 was a far better show. Also I think one of the producers for Eureka on SyFy actually said the budget was why that show was cancelled. Both shows were very popular and pulling in really good ratings.

True you can always cut budgets but those were two shows where if you did that you might as well as cancelled them and they did. Those shows could not take a significant budget hit for what they were doing and the quality they were putting out. Man I miss those shows.
Warehouse 13 and Eureka are both shows I love, but they all got great wrap ups as well. Defiance S2+3 is actually on par in my heart with the two.

Penguin

If they weren't working on that Dark Universe movie....

Season 2 could have focused on DC magic

Vixen, Constantine, Dr. Fate vs like Le Fey or Felix Faust or something.

Could have The Atom and Firestorm there for that butting of heads between science and magic

ZeroX03

Banned
If they weren't working on that Dark Universe movie....

Season 2 could have focused on DC magic

Vixen, Constantine, Dr. Fate vs like Le Fey or Felix Faust or something.

Could have The Atom and Firestorm there for that butting of heads between science and magic

Who fucking knows what character is embargo'd right now.

Currently Constantine is being held hostage by DC. Not NBC like people thought and seemingly not WB Films.

Effect

Warehouse 13 and Eureka are both shows I love, but they all got great wrap ups as well. Defiance S2+3 is actually on par in my heart with the two.

I am glad they at least were given the opportunity to wrap things up as best they could and the cancelation wasn't sudden or in between seasons. I still need to finish Defiance but lost interest in that during the second season.

What do you do with season 2 of this show?

http://screenrant.com/dc-legends-tomorrow-arrow-flash-comparisons/
“It’s an anthology show. This is not designed to go forever. This season is meant to be standalone… I mean not as anthological as ‘True Detective.’ But not everybody will be continuing on this journey. The sort of central premise of time travel and Vandal Savage is totally up for grabs. This is meant to be a season that is tightly serialized that, when it’s over, you can’t go home again. It’s not going to begin Season 2 with us all hopping back on the same ship and like ‘Let’s get Vandal! Let’s get him for real this time!’ This is not traditional episodic television.

Executive producer Marc Guggenheim chimed in to further explain the structure and compare it to FX’s American Horror Story:

“The way we think of it is each arc, each season is its own separate movie. What we want to do is have each separate movie have its own identity. So almost to the point where each season was telling one big story that you could sort of subtitle, like the way you do subtitle ‘American Horror Story,’ if that makes sense”

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dcs-leg...llains-rip-hunter-motives-season-2-game-plan/
This season is meant to be a chapter in the anthology. We have no idea where we want to leave things after this season. Our team can have new members. It can have missing members. It can have people who switch sides. That's the great thing about this show. Season 2 is not meant to be a pressing of the reset button. We want to burn through all of the possible story we can here. We want to make sure that we can never go home again, that the dynamics of this season will be irrevocably changed. Our team for Season 2, if not in the [physical] makeup of the team, will be changed in the way that [the characters] will be different [people]. Season 1 is meant to be standalone. We want to leave everything on the field and figure Season 2 out later.

Effect

Wasn't there some kind of shittiness with the Eureka cancellation? Like the way everyone found out or something...

I believe so. Eureka got granted a 5th season I believe while they were working on season 4. Then after 4 was done and airing I believe SyFy then said season 5 would be the final season and it would only be 12 episodes. I think they had planned and plotted things for a full season which I think might have been 18 episodes or 20. I also think season 4 was plotted as well with the assumption they'd have a full 5th season. Then I believe the producers/actors fought for an extra episode to fully bring things to a close because they felt 12 wouldn't have worked. Episode 12 of that final season ends the "story" that was being built up while 13 is an epilogue for the series and the characters.

More the Warehouse 13 got. Their 4th season was one of the first shows where SyFy started breaking up seasons by having half a year long breaks. Their 5th season was just 6 episodes.

Season 2 has to go full magic, Vertigo style. Unless they've got them down for the JL Dark movie, they need to bring in Animal Man, Constantine, Vixen, and Zatanna.

xenist

Another episode, another idiotic plan from our incompetent heroes. At this point I'm actively hoping Savage kills them all.

And seriously, who does the action scenes in this show and which soap opera were they working in before?

I think I'm done unless the writing improves. I can only stomach so much CW stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom