• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
That stresses they have underused certain costumes, for instance Sara's White Canary costume. It also seems to confirm that HeatWave is gone due to availability reasons, seeing as he doesn't really get lines in there.

I don't think that confirms it at all. Big jump. Hawkman isn't being shown off and we know he's coming back.

My biggest problem with this show is that it is highly episodic, not "tightly serialized" as the creators describe it. Most episodes the plot stands alone the way an episode of Sliders did, they drop into whatever time period, horribly botch their moronic plans, and the main plot is not advanced at all.

Another episode, another idiotic plan from our incompetent heroes. At this point I'm actively hoping Savage kills them all.

And seriously, who does the action scenes in this show and which soap opera were they working in before?

I think I'm done unless the writing improves. I can only stomach so much CW stupidity.

I don't know why they didn't just instantly regroup and go back in time 72 hours when they figured out exactly where savage lived. Ambush him where he lives, 7 on 1, gg no re. They need to start using time travel intelligently or lay down firm ground rules as to why they can't do stuff like that.

P.S. stop taking hawk girl with you, she blows your cover every damn time

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Jax is too smooth. I loved his scene in the diner.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Did Ray or Kendra ever return Savage's casserole dish? I am really hankering for some tuna surprise now.

Skux

My biggest problem with this show is that it is highly episodic, not "tightly serialized" as the creators describe it. Most episodes the plot stands alone the way an episode of Sliders did, they drop into whatever time period, horribly botch their moronic plans, and the main plot is not advanced at all.

It's not that different structurally from The Flash and Arrow's villain-of-the-week episodes, but it's a lot more obvious due to the changing location and time periods, and the fact that going further back in time is like hitting the reset button on Savage since he doesn't know about the heroes. The two-parters like the Soviet Firestorm arc and now this "trapped in the 50s" episode are a good way to make it seem less episodic.

A good way to cover for this is to make the character interactions themselves interesting, and I think Legends mostly does this better than Arrow and Flash. Each character has their own ideals and values and seeing them clash is far more interesting than having a big happy family that gets along all the time leaving characters with nothing to do (see: Arrow).

What this show needs is a worthwhile sub-villain that grows with the heroes over the course of the series. Chronos is supposed to fit the bill but right now he's just a guy that shows up at the end of episodes to throw wrenches in the Legends' plans. It would be nice if he actually had a character and developed a really interesting rivalry with Rip.

Or, if Chronos was a Time Master and not a Bounty Hunter, he could be a great way to introduce the institution of the Time Masters and have a relationship with Rip that precedes the show which is explored in their encounters as well as some flashbacks.

Now that I think about it they really should have done this instead. Big missed opportunity.

Luke_Wal

Am I the only one really bothered by the over-acting on Kendra and Jax? I've noticed it since Jax was introduced in Flash, but I figured it would go away eventually as the actor got used to the role. Something about his voice just gets me. Kendra's isn't as egregious, and it might just be that her mouth seems to be perpetually open, but something about the way she acts kind of bothers me.

It's a real shame, because Ciara Renee seems to be really cool from following on Twitter, and her voice is BEAUTIFUL, but her characterization of Kendra just isn't doing it for me.

I don't know why they didn't just instantly regroup and go back in time 72 hours when they figured out exactly where savage lived. Ambush him where he lives, 7 on 1, gg no re. They need to start using time travel intelligently or lay down firm ground rules as to why they can't do stuff like that.

That's just plain silly. Time Travel doesn't work like that. Everybody knows that.

Skux

Am I the only one really bothered by the over-acting on Kendra and Jax? I've noticed it since Jax was introduced in Flash, but I figured it would go away eventually as the actor got used to the role. Something about his voice just gets me. Kendra's isn't as egregious, and it might just be that her mouth seems to be perpetually open, but something about the way she acts kind of bothers me.

It's a real shame, because Ciara Renee seems to be really cool from following on Twitter, and her voice is BEAUTIFUL, but her characterization of Kendra just isn't doing it for me.

Jax's actor is actually British, so is accent isn't natural, and it comes off as exaggerated at times.

They plugged this plot hole early on by saying they'd cause a paradox if they went back and interfered in events they'd already interfered with.

Luke_Wal

Jax's actor is actually British, so is accent isn't natural, and it comes off as exaggerated at times.

They plugged this plot hole early on by saying they'd cause a paradox if they went back and interfered in events they'd already interfered with.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. It's probably why his voice can sound off at times, kind of like Detective Lance.

Also: I'm excited to see the Season 2 team, but I must admit that I'm surprised the ratings are good enough. I guess I was under the impression the show wasn't performing particularly well, but I'm glad to see it's doing well enough!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Also: I'm excited to see the Season 2 team, but I must admit that I'm surprised the ratings are good enough. I guess I was under the impression the show wasn't performing particularly well, but I'm glad to see it's doing well enough!

I don't know why you'd have that assumption. While yesterday's episode was a series low point in ratings (I think it was one of the only new episodes CW aired all week), it's ratings regularly match or slightly beat Arrow's, the network's second most popular show only to the Flash.

And, in the numbers they released today announcing their renewals, CW actually said the show has higher viewership than Arrow, too.

The show is a success for the network, no matter how you cut it.

You mean like how they went back and showed their faces to Vandal in the 1950s when he only saw the team for the first time in the 70's? What would they have done if they succeeded in their mission, caused a time paradox re: the first couple of episodes? If so why bother attacking him in the 50's if their options were fail, or cause time paradox? And whose perspective are we talking about? If they succeed in killing him in at any point in the 20th or 21st centuries they're going to wind up causing a time paradox since Rip Hunter would have no reason to go back in time to begin with. He wouldn't even be born because the world would be so different.

There's no way you can spin this to make sense.

ZeroX03

Banned
You mean like how they went back and showed their faces to Vandal in the 1950s when he only saw the team for the first time in the 70's? What would they have done if they succeeded in their mission, caused a time paradox in season 1? If so why bother attacking him in the 50's?

There's no way you can spin this to make sense.

There no way you can spin time travel to make sense full stop, stop trying. Just accept the stupid chaos.

Like there's more point in delving into the nitty gritty of the multiverse, at least there's a kernel of possibility there.

Doom.

Banned
I thought Jax was having confidence problem previous episode when approaching Kendra.

now he's just a smooth operator all of a sudden

To be fair, it's not like she needed a lot of smooth talking. Serious trauma mode there.

And yeah, it's pretty clear that they're not going to do shit to Savage until they end up going back to after Rip left to go to the past. It's possibly one of the many issues the show has since everything they're doing is inconsequential.

Blader

Hey give her a break, a few weeks ago she was just a normal barista.

There no way you can spin time travel to make sense full stop, stop trying. Just accept the stupid chaos.

Like there's more point in delving into the nitty gritty of the multiverse, at least there's a kernel of possibility there.

You can't make time travel fiction realistic, but you can make it internally consistent. You do this by setting out coherent rules, then sticking to them. If you can't intervene in events you already interfered with, meaning that you couldn't attack vandal, fail, and then go back in time a week and attack him earlier before he expects you, then why are they doing exactly that in this episode? The only answer is that it's a plot hole. I don't know why you'd bother trying to act like there aren't much better examples of time travel in fiction than this show. It's a writing problem, not an innate problem with using time travel. Lord knows the CW superhero lineup is already full of other writing problems.

You can't make time travel fiction realistic, but you can make it internally consistent. You do this by setting out coherent rules, then sticking to them. If you can't intervene in events you already interfered with, meaning that you couldn't attack vandal, fail, and then go back in time a week and attack him earlier before he expects you, then why are they doing exactly that in this episode? The only answer is that it's a plot hole. I don't know why you'd bother trying to act like there aren't much better examples of time travel in fiction than this show. It's a writing problem, not an innate problem with using time travel. Lord knows the CW superhero lineup is already full of other writing problems.

I feel like that's going to be a realization sometime in the final run, when they change their focus from preventing Savage's rise to gathering the resources to depose him in the future.

Season 2 has to go full magic, Vertigo style. Unless they've got them down for the JL Dark movie, they need to bring in Animal Man, Constantine, Vixen, and Zatanna.

That, or multiversal. Full-on Crisis. Anti-Monitor wrecks the Time Masters as the first step in his quest to destroy the Multiverse, so they turn to Rip Hunter to stop him, upgrading the Waverider to be able to travel across various universes in his mission.

I feel like that's going to be a realization sometime in the final run, when they change their focus from preventing Savage's rise to gathering the resources to depose him in the future.

Others have said that, but Rip is supposed to be this elite time master who knows all about the space time continuum and such. If he wasn't aware that he couldn't kill savage, then he comes off like a buffoon since the paradox was apparent even to many audience members.

Then again, he already does come off like a buffoon most eps so I suppose it could happen :p

KonradLaw

Frankenstein or bust.

I wanna see CW model Frankenstein created of pieces of various hot people composed together.
Yeah...judging by how Beast looked
vincent.jpg

I'm sure Frankenstein would be fabulous.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After watching the latest episode of Arrow on hulu today I must say in that one episode, Vixen has more personality than Hawkgirl. Vixen should join the cast.

shingi70

Banned
I'm hoping they don't go magic as cool as that sounds, and just keep the current cast with some tweaks and just have a straight up superhero JSA in the present.

Just saw the latest episode and LOVED it. One of my faves.

I applaud the subplots for tackling the less than easy subject matter and thought they were all super interesting and at moments really cute. They all combined together with a really crazy fun plan at the end, and every moment was pure gold.

Also AWESOME at the Legends of Tomorrow renewal! Hopefully Rip Hunter dies at the end of the season (along with Savage) so we can end the time travelling stuff. I HATE time travel.

shanafan

First time lurker in this thread.

After a rocky pilot for me, I have really begun to enjoy this show. I love the time travel element, and I like the team chemistry. My favorite character is Leonard because he has become sympathetic for the team, always putting the team first.

His character reminds me of Prison Break surprisingly. Spoiler for the entire show -
I liked how in Prison Break, it really seemed like every villain on the show eventually joined Michael and Lincoln's team. Kellerman, Mahone, and even Bellick. So in a way, I see Leonard portraying that same angle. Being the bad guy, and then becoming the good "bad" guy.

Pretty obvious Mick wasn't taken out by Leonard, and so I hope to see him back soon - always got a kick out his whitty comments. But, I haven't read up on anything about the show, so maybe he is off the show. Happy to hear though that the show was renewed for another season! I was fearful that all these DC shows would find one to bite the dust first, so glad it hasn't happened.

Finally, I wasn't a big fan of Kendra at the beginning but after the 1958 episode, really starting to root for her character.

Apt101

Regarding episode 8, I was shocked Kendra wasn't a total damsel in distress this time.
She still needed to be rescued in the end, but at least she took initiative and did something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom