• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Moofers

Revolutionary said:
I figured there was something to check out back at his cabin, but by the time I had returned, he had respawned and I was forced to run away again. lol

Northern part of the Jungle. There's a bridge with a female survivor on it that needs your help to collect medical supplies that fell off. He's on the ground level to the north of this location at a creepy looking shack.

On my way. :)

So I was bitching about a part near the end of the game last page... spoilers:
loaded my game and it started me off in the middle of the city... LOL. I can fast travel back to the Prison Canteen too.. thanks for the glitch, Techland!

vaelic said:
UPDATE #11 17/09/2011: Changes in v1.81:
  • Replaced the keyboard hook-based micro-stutter fix with a FilterKeys one. Should fix any issues people have been having with weird sound or framerate issues when this tweak is active.
  • Updated the disable bloom, weapon refraction and dust tweaks to use the files in Data02.pak. This should hopefully fix the issues people have been having where effects seem to disappear while these tweaks are active
  • The auto-update feature can now be disabled
  • Laid some groundwork for an in-game save feature. Should be in for v1.9
  • Added a periodic check for the Dead Island process that will set the process priority to “Normal” if it ever drops to “Below Normal” or “Low”

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114535

oh. let me back up the save first. might use this or after people say it's safe when it's out lol.

AiTM

Banned
vaelic said:
I have fun solo

Im playing on coop now. It is an entirely different game with people. I went and played some alone and fuck its a million times more tense when you are walking around alone, you feel more vulnerable.

Downsides to coop is sharing all the cool loot, and waiting on 2 friends to be able to all get on and play.

What level are people generally on at the end of the game?

Some of the bugs have been fixed on the Xbox version, specifically the one that I complained about most (cursor randomly skipping about when selling stuff).

Also: is there a limit to cable length when using system link? Was thinking of getting my Brother's 360 connected to mine for co-op.

Derrick01 said:
No. It shouldn't be played at all.

Am I right to assume you have technical issues and don't want other people to have tons of fun, just because you can't?

Last time I checked games this good are rare enough to not just pass on them for technical issues. Especially if not everyone is affected. Looking at your avatar, I would say Deus Ex 3 is another good example. The insane stuttering that some people suffered from was just fixed a day or two ago and I would still have recommended the game to everyone. I don't see why Dead Island should be treated differently.

desertdroog

If any Zombie Game can be modded for a representation of Evil Dead, it is this one. The breakable bones and flesh rending....I would be happy with an arm chainsaw and requisite boom-stick doc/mod.

vaelic

Banned
AiTM said:
Im playing on coop now. It is an entirely different game with people. I went and played some alone and fuck its a million times more tense when you are walking around alone, you feel more vulnerable.

Downsides to coop is sharing all the cool loot, and waiting on 2 friends to be able to all get on and play.
I just hate how ppl rush the storyline. everyone is in a rush

It sounds like you guys are playing with the wrong people. If you join the Dead Island Steam Group you could organise to play with some GAFfer's. We specifically do all the side quests before moving on and everyone sticks together.

KAP151

Finally finished. Sam B lvl 34.

God the last boss was terribad. It kept spawning me right next to him and I would get 2 shotted in 10 secs. When he shot the girl, i guess there went my inventory until i find her again in new game+? Was that locksmith prisoner behind it all with that evil grin as they are flying away?

Combat and environments were awesome. Why was the story so shitty though. Ugh.

vaelic

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
Just lost a co-op buddy because his save got fucked which prompted him to sell it.

I feel bad for recommending this turd to people.
it's not a turd. A lot of people haven't had this issue. Sorry he has :/

Twinduct

MarshMellow96 said:
So is the save fuck up pretty common?

Thinking of picking it up next week but I don't want it to go all Far Cry 2 on me.

I've been lucky if the save issue is widespread. Been playing since the NA release date with no save issue.

MarshMellow96 said:
So is the save fuck up pretty common?

Thinking of picking it up next week but I don't want it to go all Far Cry 2 on me.

Do a google search for 'dead island load freeze' or something similar.

vaelic said:
it's not a turd. A lot of people haven't had this issue. Sorry he has :/

Well I HAVE had this issue along with several other people I know. When I lose a lvl 40 char because of a buggy POS game I consider it a turd.

Maybe turd status will be revoked if techland can patch this pile.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bought this today, t'was $42 from GreenMan. So much for being conservative with my spending during the Sep-Nov rush! I only had time to play the prologue and a couple side quests, but it seems right up my alley. It's open world and it encourages improvisation, two things I dig in a game. Sadly I'm away from my baby/the PC so I'll have to wait to play more.

george_us

About an hour into this but so far it's been fantastic. I'm loving the subtle storytelling so far. One question though, are side quests not tracked? The first sidetrack doesn't have a bread crumb trail and there's not much information to go on otherwise.

george_us said:
About an hour into this but so far it's been fantastic. I'm loving the subtle storytelling so far. One question though, are side quests not tracked? The first sidetrack doesn't have a bread crumb trail and there's not much information to go on otherwise.

I get a bug where sometimes the trail doesn't show for sidequests, it eventually comes back. Which particular mission are you doing? A few don't have trails.

Phreaker

george_us said:

Same are not, but it seems most are. You might also look on the big map when you have the quest selected and see if you see any indicators. You can always drop a waypoint.

JRW

DIsland_JD.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
It's rare that I have dreams about videogames. Last night, I dreamed that I was Xian jumping around and taking zombies' heads off with my trusty katana. I woke up this morning wanting to play Dead Island immediately. That's how much I love this damn game.

Ledsen

Flunkie said:
It's rare that I have dreams about videogames. Last night, I dreamed that I was Xian jumping around and taking zombies' heads off with my trusty katana. I woke up this morning wanting to play Dead Island immediately. That's how much I love this damn game.
Yeah it's a god damned amazing game!

Anyone know how to track sidequests in co-op? Ever since the patch it says "cannot track sidequests while doing a main quest" or some such. Kind of annoying. 360 version btw.

blahness

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyone know how to track sidequests in co-op? Ever since the patch it says "cannot track sidequests while doing a main quest" or some such. Kind of annoying. 360 version btw.

That message existed before the patch. It just means you have to complete the main quest you are currently on before you can track another sidequest.

LocoMrPollock said:

You can track them as long as you don't actively have a main quest going on. Meaning for example, if someone asks you to go to the Hotel as a main quest, you can't track side quests. But once you turn that one in, and before you start out your next main quest (by talking to someone), you can track side quests just fine.

Just finished up my first play through at a little over 20 hours. The ending was pretty awful and entirely predictable, but the last two acts were the best for me by far. Might start another character in a little while to mess around with.

MrDaravon

Just got the game on 360, and I know that there's a patch out. Without looking through 50 pages, are there any super fucked bugs or anything that I specifically need to look out for at this point? Only thing I heard about was a bad co-op save bug, but I'm not sure if that's still the case or if that was an issue or not on 360.

kinggroin said:
Where are saves stored on the steam version? I want to periodically back it up just in case.

\Steam\userdata\11211573\91310\remote\out\save

The first number will be random. The second will always be 91310.

AEREC

SailorDaravon said:
Just got the game on 360, and I know that there's a patch out. Without looking through 50 pages, are there any super fucked bugs or anything that I specifically need to look out for at this point? Only thing I heard about was a bad co-op save bug, but I'm not sure if that's still the case or if that was an issue or not on 360.

For most the 360 seems to be the most solid of the three versions bug wise...but Im playing on PC (which I havent noticed any bugs either) so I couldnt tell you for sure.

Derrick01

Banned
Dinosaur Tamer said:
Am I right to assume you have technical issues and don't want other people to have tons of fun, just because you can't?

Last time I checked games this good are rare enough to not just pass on them for technical issues. Especially if not everyone is affected. Looking at your avatar, I would say Deus Ex 3 is another good example. The insane stuttering that some people suffered from was just fixed a day or two ago and I would still have recommended the game to everyone. I don't see why Dead Island should be treated differently.

No after the launch mess the game ran fine the rest of the way. I finished it and didn't like it at all.

Top Bottom