• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Any of you guys work for Game or Gamestation in the UK? Their stores are selling this for £48 new because 'they' (presumably the publisher) have apparently increased the retail price. Disgusting.

Marty Chinn said:
Does anyone know how to turn off the auto item pick up in the PC version? I hate it when I accidently pick up a weapon which forces me to drop the one I'm using.

Doesn't that only happen if your weapon inventory is full? Then the icon goes from 'pick-up' to 'exchange', or something like that. I could be wrong, though. I just always made sure to drop a shitty expendable weapon whenever I found something better; that way, I'd get the new weapon an keep what's in my hand.

Marty Chinn said:
Does anyone know how to turn off the auto item pick up in the PC version? I hate it when I accidently pick up a weapon which forces me to drop the one I'm using.

Auto pickup isn't enabled for me. I have to keep F pressed down to swap weapons if my inventory is already full and a new one is lootable.

If I join my brother who has just begun in a co-op game, I'll still keep my game progress right?
And will zombies be gaining higher levels while I am in his game?

Aaron

eravulgaris said:
So what's GAF's opinion on this game? Does this game really need the co-op to be good? Or not?
Co-op and solo are two very different experiences, but both are great. Playing alone makes it a lot like Condemned, which is still one of my favorite games.

PjotrStroganov said:
If I join my brother who has just begun in a co-op game, I'll still keep my game progress right?
And will zombies be gaining higher levels while I am in his game?
Your character will progress through the story during Co-op and the zombies will be leveled against the level of the hosting person.

AEREC

Finally finished the game with Sam B...took about 30 hours and ended up at level 35. I never even found some of the really good named weapons and I even did every single side quest except for finding that dudes zombie wife and child in the the slums...but Im guessing the rare weapons will show up in New Game+

This game far exceeded my expectations but maybe thats because I wasnt looking forward to it at all and bought it on a whim after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Anyways It's probably one of my favorite games this year.

Didn't have any issues with bugs either on the PC.

spindoctor said:
Auto pickup isn't enabled for me. I have to keep F pressed down to swap weapons if my inventory is already full and a new one is lootable.

It's really wonky for me. If I just move towards any object and bump into it long enough, it'll auto pick up. I always end up picking up things that I don't want to like weapons or energy drinks. It still says press the key to pick up or hold the key if the inventory is full, but I can still force it to pick stuff up without hitting that key. I can even move around the positions of the car just by looking at it and moving into it without hitting the normal key. Even more oddly is that when I do want to swap, it doesn't work simply by holding it down. Normal pick up is fine, but sometimes it won't pick up to swap. Really annoying. The only way I've found to fix that is to move into the item and hold down the key and it swaps out. It's the only controls that are weird for me and I can't figure out why.

Fox1304 said:
Tried to enter some games last night on PS3, but all finished with an error ( player couldn't join or session not available ). No idea why again ...

And all those scary talk about the PS3 saves is really bugging me, I'd love to experience my first playthrough through coop.

Yeah Co-op hasn't worked at all for me either. I'll try to play with you if you'd like, maybe we can get it working. My PSN name is catchabadone. Check your PMs

Phreaker

KAP151 said:
Some of the random pub games I go into are pretty fucking hilarious.

I joined some random open games last night. One thing, that I found out. Just because it says XXX is near by, doesn't mean they aren't in New Game+. I joined a host and didn't notice until the first infected we ran across killed me in one hit. The host was level 32 as were the zombies. I was like 7. :) The other randoms that joined were also being beat down something serious!

Rapefrog

Neo Member
tried playing with a friend. one of the worst, buggiest, most frustrating games i have yet to play.

constant voice chat enabled. constant disconnects after 30 seconds. slow mouse in menus. average visuals and apalling characters.

how has this got anything above 5/10?

derFeef

Rapefrog said:
tried playing with a friend. one of the worst, buggiest, most frustrating games i have yet to play.

constant voice chat enabled. constant disconnects after 30 seconds. slow mouse in menus. average visuals and apalling characters.

Besides some bugs, the rest of the game is pretty fantastic and it is a looker on PC. I found that coop adds a lot of jank and makes it not as enjoyable, even more so if you do not coordinate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm sure this has been covered many pages back, back any tips for targeting limbs with KB/M controls? I can only seem to target the body aside from an occasional flicker to one of the limbs. Maybe I just need some practice.

Game is neat so far. It can be pretty stressful when you're facing a lot of infected at once.

derFeef

Snuggler said:
I'm sure this has been covered many pages back, back any tips for targeting limbs with KB/M controls? I can only seem to target the body aside from an occasional flicker to one of the limbs.

Game is neat so far. It can be pretty stressful when you're facing a lot of infected at once.
There is no real tip, just aim at it and see if you can get the crosshair to snap to the limb. Works pretty well for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I guess I'm already getting the hang of it. I just got a cleaver, and now I can kick down + decaptitate every zombie. Or I'll cut off the head after I've beaten them to death, just to be sure.

Bloodsent

In Act 3 now, and I just got my first
Wakizashi sword
. Very happy with it so far, although it needs to be repaired pretty often.

Dresden

Bloodsent said:
In Act 3 now, and I just got my first
Wakizashi sword
. Very happy with it so far, although it needs to be repaired pretty often.
As Logan I've been using the blue Wakizashi you get from the scientist + the purple machete from the nun + two two-hander axes that I bought off the vendors. Damage is insane--I one or two shot most things and they boomerang back half the time--and nothing is cooler than chucking a giant axe and watching it thunk into someone's face.

Ledsen

Rapefrog said:

9/10

coopolon

I don't really understand all the talk about analog. People talk about it being good because you can target limbs and break them so that enemies have to bite or what not. But I can target limbs with kb/m just fine and can break them every time? Am I missing something?

I tried it with gamepad, but I hate using the gamepad in first person games. Although when I switched to kb/m it became stutter city.

Apparently there is also a file out that lets you do analogue with kb/m, although I can't get it to work for me yet.

Wow, I feel dumb. Missed an entire quest hub the first time I did Act III.

coopolon said:
I don't really understand all the talk about analog. People talk about it being good because you can target limbs and break them so that enemies have to bite or what not. But I can target limbs with kb/m just fine and can break them every time? Am I missing something?

I tried it with gamepad, but I hate using the gamepad in first person games. Although when I switched to kb/m it became stutter city.

Apparently there is also a file out that lets you do analogue with kb/m, although I can't get it to work for me yet.

It's less about where your swing lands and more about the arc and force of your swing. For instance with my level 43 character it's fairly easy to decapitate a row of two or three zombies with a single swing because I can control the speed and the arc precisely. With digital I can aim at the head but get no control over what kind of swing it is; if I'm trying to do a horizontal swipe then that's what I want to see, not an overhand.

It's especially noticeable with weapons that have terrible handling like axes and sledgehammers. Playing with digital your character sometimes pulls back for a huge swing and fucks your timing up, for example, while with analog that's never an issue.

Fox1304

Is there something to do before joining a coop game on ps3 ? Still can't join any gamr, all I got are errors. So damn frustrating.

B-Dex

My store is still out of stock and I keep having to tell people we don't have it and they give me the sad face...... Getting annoying. lol

(not eb/gamestop)

Wallach

For people talking about "constant voice chat" - I would assume this game uses your Steam voice chat settings. Do you have it set to push-to-talk in your Voice tab within Steam settings?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
PC guys need some help. Started to play on my PC again and after about an hour or so my mouse stopped working, it just stutters around then goes back to normal a bit later. Any idea what this is? It comes and goes, seems to happen more often the longer I play.

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game. I can't believe it, another bad game to the list. Oh well, luckily I only paid $8 for it due to amazon credit. Probably going to end up selling it tomorrow.

derFeef

Lucentto said:
Just beat the game. I can't believe it, another bad game to the list. Oh well, luckily I only paid $8 for it due to amazon credit. Probably going to end up selling it tomorrow.
Why dou you force yoruself through the game if you obviously hate it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, I downloaded the helper that jim-jam posted and it's like night and day. I killed the desaturation and bloom effects (what were they thinking) and now I'm enjoing a crystal clear, vasoline-free image. Plus it's running at a flawless 60FPS thanks to the vysnc option. God bless PC gaming.

Anyways, I'm having a great time with this game. I'm glad I waited a couple weeks to buy it, though.

mindblowing military knife is so badass.

Also joining random games can be amusing. The other night I joined a match in act 4 and when
jin gets shot the first thing out of another players mouth was "what about my stuff?!'
lol.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
Wow, I downloaded the helper that jim-jam posted and it's like night and day. I killed the desaturation and bloom effects (what were they thinking) and now I'm enjoing a crystal clear, vasoline-free image. Plus it's running at a flawless 60FPS thanks to the vysnc option. God bless PC gaming.

Anyways, I'm having a great time with this game. I'm glad I waited a couple weeks to buy it, though.

Yeah, that tool is awesome. I'm definitely glad I waited it out a little after hearing how cocked up everything was at the start. I've been impressed with how well the game runs; the visuals aren't that amazing but it's nice to see a rock-solid 60 FPS.

You should try it with a controller. Honestly I think it plays better. The only thing I don't like is activating Fury because you have to hold down the button way too long for it to start.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
You should try it with a controller. Honestly I think it plays better. The only thing I don't like is activating Fury because you have to hold down the button way too long for it to start.

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a shot. I love keyboard and mouse but analogue control sounds awesome, especially since I'm playing as Xian.

I'm about to upload a short analog combat demo to YouTube Snuggles, so if you're still on the fence it might help.

Wallach said:
For people talking about "constant voice chat" - I would assume this game uses your Steam voice chat settings. Do you have it set to push-to-talk in your Voice tab within Steam settings?

Oh you don't know about this?

The game uses Steam VOIP via the SDK in addition to Steam VOIP via the Steam client. And it doesn't honour your Steam VOIP settings so setting it to push-to-talk won't make a difference, it's always running with an open mic.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
Oh you don't know about this?

The game uses Steam VOIP via the SDK in addition to Steam VOIP via the Steam client. And it doesn't honour your Steam VOIP settings so setting it to push-to-talk won't make a difference, it's always running with an open mic.

What the fuck? Techland is like the Gomer Pyle of developers.

"Gaw-lee sarge, I jus' thought it'd make 'em talk twice as good!"

FINALLY found it at a red box that wasn't 4 miles from home. Gonna get started tonight. I'm on 360, GT is Akilla05, anything wrong with starting out as Purna?

Kunohara

Holy shit, I just started using the Dead Island Helper. No bloom is awesome. I wish I knew about this before I started.

Playing Sam B, and I am at level 11. Pretty fun so far. I just love walking around and not really hearing much except ambient noise. Nice atmosphere (especially with bloom off now).

Top Bottom