• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

vaelic

Banned
new tool update:

UPDATE #13 19/09/2011: v1.91 beta has just been uploaded. Here’s what’s new:

Added a save game and profile backup and restore. Once activated, you can press F5 in-game to create a backup of your save game and profile (up to a maximum of 10, at which point, the Helper will replace the oldest backup with a new one). Important: This is not a quick-save! It only backs up what the game has saved, in case it becomes corrupted.
Added black screen fixes – one changes the “Monitor” value in Video.scr, while the other disables Desktop Composition while Dead Island is running. These aren’t guaranteed to fix every black screen issue under the sun, but it should help with those caused from having more than one monitor.
Slight bug fix for the vertical synchronization tweak. Shouldn’t have cased problems for a majority of cases.

UPDATE #12 18/09/2011: Released v1.9 as a beta! It contains some experimental features that have been tested as much as possible on a single machine. However, to make sure it’s as good as possible, I’ve released it as a beta. Changelist follows:

Removed the process priority enforcement from v1.8.
Reverted to the old keyboard hook-based micro-stutter fix as it is more reliable. The way it works has been tweaked so it should consume less CPU cycles (not that it was ever processor-intensive).
Settings restore points: It is now possible to set restore points for your settings. This feature will take a snapshots of your “Documents\DeadIsland\out” folder, compress them as a ZIP file, and store them in “Documents\DeadIsland\Restore Points”. Note that snapshots must be taken / restored manually. The snapshot feature at this stage does not save “Disable event logging” or “Enable micro-stutter fix”
Added “Fix auto-equip delay” tweak.
Added “Rebind hardcoded instances of the Use key” tweak. If you’re using “F” for something other than “Use”, this is the tweak for you. Limited to alphanumeric keys for now.

eshwaaz said:
Same for me. I kept hoping that Borderlands would "click" at some point, but it never did. Dead Island grabbed me from the start, and I'm not even a zombie fan - I actually thought I was totally "zombied-out" before this game.
Same here. Totally sick of zombies and wanted to like Borderlands but it never grabbed me. Love this game.

Anerythristic said:
"Come here, check this out." "It's this way, over here." "Where are you, where did you go?" "Quick I need your help, where are you?"

I just bought this game and I really like it. I just can't stand co-op, unless the person actually wants to stick to your ass it's to easy to get distracted and wander off in an open world co op experience and it seams like Borderlands the game adjusts enemy difficulty and strength or am I wrong? I'm babysitting most of the time.
I'm playing the game in single player right now and really enjoying it, you can always do that.

Patryn

Neuromancer said:
I'm playing the game in single player right now and really enjoying it, you can always do that.

Ditto, although it's clear that certain missions were crafted in such a way as to encourage co-op (thinking any mission that sees multiple screaming Infected coming from multiple directions).

Of course, if you properly plan, you can handle those situations solo with minimal trouble (except when the Infected suddenly learn how to climb. Still have no idea how one got up on a roof with me).

Patryn said:
Ditto, although it's clear that certain missions were crafted in such a way as to encourage co-op (thinking any mission that sees multiple screaming Infected coming from multiple directions).

Of course, if you properly plan, you can handle those situations solo with minimal trouble (except when the Infected suddenly learn how to climb. Still have no idea how one got up on a roof with me).

Infected can climb ladders. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

Patryn

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Infected can climb ladders. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

So do they only climb when you're not looking? Because at the part I got stuck at, I decided to try a strategy of climbing a ladder and waiting (because this was after my roof encounter) and then trying to just kick them off the ladder.

They all just kind of milled around below me. None of them even tried to climb. In fact, they started wandering away.

So I grouped and molotoved them until I ran out, then killed as many as I could with my bullets from safety before finally going down and going hand-to-hand.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Did anyone else find this weird truck on billboard thing during Act I? Not sure if that was intentional or just a weird glitch:

C0F890289497C545D3C10A62D7D88C03E77930D5

blahness

luxarific said:
Did anyone else find this weird truck on billboard thing during Act I? Not sure if that was intentional or just a weird glitch:

its intentional. the front of the billboard is for an auto shop

Patryn said:
So do they only climb when you're not looking? Because at the part I got stuck at, I decided to try a strategy of climbing a ladder and waiting (because this was after my roof encounter) and then trying to just kick them off the ladder.

Probably a bug with a particular object or area of the game then.

Dresden

Finished the game at level 32, 19 hours or so in.

Just rushed through most of the
prison
, dying and reviving as I ran and ran.

Also lost most of my good weapons (like my Deathstalker Zed's Demise - RIP) so I ended up cheesing the boss by chucking grenades at my feet.

Mixed feelings about the game, really. I think they have the base for something really great, but right now it's just too janky, and too repetitive to get close to that level. Since the sales seem to have been good, I hope the sequel irons out a lot of these issues.

AEREC

Dresden said:
Finished the game at level 32, 19 hours or so in.

Just rushed through most of the
prison
, dying and reviving as I ran and ran.

Also lost most of my good weapons (like my Deathstalker Zed's Demise - RIP) so I ended up cheesing the boss by chucking grenades at my feet.

Mixed feelings about the game, really. I think they have the base for something really great, but right now it's just too janky, and too repetitive to get close to that level. Since the sales seem to have been good, I hope the sequel irons out a lot of these issues.

I must be lucky to not have experienced any bugs. Ill also say this is one of the more optimized games I have played recently (Space Marine being another). Playing this game at 1080p with a constant 60fps is glorious.

I can see it getting repetitive for some people but I am a whore for loot based games so I was probably able to over looked the repetitiveness of it.

Also combat in this game is one of the more visceral experiences in a game for a long time...analog controls really made this game for me and those never get boring, though the gunplay isnt the best.

Other than that sure the story could have been better and your characters animation looks ridiculous (when in coop or looking at your own shadow) but just like you said what is here is a good base for them to expand upon.

AEREC

jim-jam bongs said:
I thought that this was suitably harsh myself:

I wish you woudl just start back at your base upon death...but then again I played it in easy mode (Sam B) without realising it.

Playing as Purna starting out is much harder than it ever was with Sam B.

AEREC said:
I wish you woudl just start back at your base upon death...but then again I played it in easy mode (Sam B) without realising it.

Playing as Purna starting out is much harder than it ever was with Sam B.
Dead Island roguelike mod? That would be pretty cool!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:

Sweet. This game is just begging to be modded, there's a buttload of potential there.

I'd be down with a realism mod that requires you to find food and water. It's not for everyone, but I like that kind of stuff and it would work with DI.

edit - Now I want a permadeath mod. That shit would be intense.

Yeah it was actually a blessing in disguise that Techland accidentally shipped the dev build of the game all things considered, it certainly seems to have made it easier for people to start reworking the guts of the game.

One thing though, I think that Valve need to have a quick look at how DI mods work and post an official VAC FAQ for the game. The mods all work as overrides so in principal they should all be fine but so far they've only commented on the helper tool.

derFeef

luxarific said:
Yes, way, way, WAY too much default bloom and dust.

Dead Island Helper is your friend to get rid of that crap.
That's not his problem obviously, either gamma or brightness is turned wayyy too much up.

edit: I also took a pic of that car and it looks like that for me, unmodded.
Zy2Vth.jpg

luxarific

Nork unification denier
derFeef said:
That's not his problem obviously, either gamma or brightness is turned wayyy too much up.

This is exactly how my screen looked like before correcting for bloom and dust using the tool. I actually tried setting my gamma all the way down to see if that would fix it with no luck (see the screenshot I posted earlier). I'm not at that point in the game anymore, but I'll take another screenshot so you can see how it looks like with the bloom/dust mod enabled.

Zimbardo

looks like the in game gamma bar was turned way up in those pics.

i left the gamma at default and the game isn't washed out like that.

derFeef

luxarific said:
This is exactly how my screen looked like before correcting for bloom and dust using the tool. I actually tried setting my gamma all the way down to see if that would fix it with no luck (see the screenshot I posted earlier). I'm not at that point in the game anymore, but I'll take another screenshot so you can see how it looks like with the bloom/dust mod enabled.
No need to, as you can see in my screenshot it is not caused by the bloom or dust. Must be some werid gamme/brightness bug then - did you play in windowed mode?

Thoroughly enjoying this game. Had one freeze last night on 360 (all 3 of us in the game froze) and had to restart the Xbox - no one lost any progress however.

Had a strange moment last night, that I assume was a glitch. I started a game, invited a friend to my game - and then we played through some massive Hotel on Act 1 (to get a car). At some point we had cleared out an entire kitchen area and I had to help my wife with something. I tell my mate to defend me for a minute. Keep in mind we had killed every zombie in the area (including thugs), I was level 7 and my mate is level 20, basically one shotting the basic zombies when in my games.

So I'm helping my wife and I hear yelling/fighting from the game so I finish up and check it out. I'm dead on the ground (some guy is trying to revive me), my mate has his fury activated and is getting demolished and there is another player in the game. I throw my headset back on "WTF happened?!". Apparently this 3rd person joined my game and was level 37. For some reason the game brought a legion of level 35+ zombies with him and we had to fight them off. Once we finish the majority of them we quickly the boot the guy hoping it would fix the issue. It did, but not for about 5 minutes. So we had to progress through the hotel fighting much higher level zombies. I kicked/smashed one for about 60 seconds before I could kill it. Unusual - but super fun.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
derFeef said:
No need to, as you can see in my screenshot it is not caused by the bloom or dust. Must be some werid gamme/brightness bug then - did you play in windowed mode?

No. 2x ATI 5770 in crossfire, non-windowed mode. The tool bloom/dust settings fixed this for me though, so I don't know what's going on.

sk3tch

derFeef said:

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Ended up being Gamma. It was maxed out for me because that's what it took to see the logo. I put it to the middle and now it looks A LOT better. That takes care of one problem. Now..this gameplay...lol. Just not into the RPG side which it was a bit more shootery/combat-y. I will keep whacking away at it, though. My buddy and I had a real bad first impression in co-op.

Patryn said:
I've literally watched them climb ladders up after me. Nowhere is safe. =(

Hey guys I found a pile of skulls with some kind of wings drawn behind it (in the 2nd sewer level). Am I supposed to be able to do anything with it?

derFeef

Neuromancer said:
Hey guys I found a pile of skulls with some kind of wings drawn behind it (in the 2nd sewer level). Am I supposed to be able to do anything with it?
Yes!
Find a red skull (also in the sewers) and put it on top of it, it gives you something

Neuromancer said:

You will find a yellow (or was it orange?) skull to put on it on your way back from the Supermarket... or was it the police station...

Edit: I didn't find the one in derFeef's post! :eek:

derFeef

Phonomezer said:
You will find a yellow (or was it orange?) skull to put on it on your way back from the Supermarket... or was it the police station...

Edit: I didn't find the one in derFeef's post! :eek:
I might be mistaken, it is pretty close though, I got it during one quest (found both parts).

Patryn

Neuromancer said:
I've literally watched them climb ladders up after me. Nowhere is safe. =(

See, that wouldn't bother me, because I'd just start kicking. At least that way they're forced to come at you one at a time.

vaelic

Banned
derFeef said:
you'll want to use the tool regardless

Yeah the tool is mandatory for PC. One thing I've noticed is that the vsync and framerate cap stop working if you tab out to desktop and back in. My poor GPU fan keeps spinning up to ridiculous speeds because it's running the game at 150fps+

Dresden said:
That one is yellow, iirc. You find it in the supermarket - it's in a shopping cart, under some stairs.
Yeah that's where I ended ip finding it although apparently some times it's in the sewer instead.

AEREC

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah the tool is mandatory for PC. One thing I've noticed is that the vsync and framerate cap stop working if you tab out to desktop and back in. My poor GPU fan keeps spinning up to ridiculous speeds because it's running the game at 150fps+

I went through the game without altering anything. Though I do have D3Doverrider. Never had any issues with bloom or any other graphics issues.

Recarpo

I haven't been following this thread at all really, so this could have been covered elsewhere, but is there a list or group of gamertags for gaffers that play this on the 360? I like co-op but playing with random people who happen to be in my same area tends to end poorly.

Anyways, if there's not and anybody wants to play send me a message/friend request on live GT:recarpo.

Holy shit, fuck this game! I'm so fucking pissed! I think I've hit a game breaker for me that causes me to be fucked over.

I'm on Chapter 9, 63% through the game. I just got the Devastator mission which I talk to Mike to get a bomb and then talk to Jin who tells me to get in the armored truck. I decide to do another side mission instead that has me looking at a room at the hotel.

Apparently, you have no choice once you've activated the story mission though as after I got out of range, I saw a timer come up telling me to return to the vehicle. I decide to ignore it figuring it would just cancel out of the mission.

But that's not what happens. I get a "Quest Failed" screen (first I've ever seen it in the game so far) and it gives me a choice to reload from the last check point or to quit. I select reload the last check point, and it for some reason puts me at the hotel and not where the last check point was. Probably cuz I selected the side mission. On top of that, it tells me to get to the vehicle which there's no fucking way I can get there in time so I get a Quest Failed, and repeat the problem.

Am I really fucked? Did I just lose my save game? If so fuck this game. I'm pissed.

blahness

Marty Chinn said:
Holy shit, fuck this game! I'm so fucking pissed! I think I've hit a game breaker for me that causes me to be fucked over.

I'm on Chapter 9, 63% through the game. I just got the Devastator mission which I talk to Mike to get a bomb and then talk to Jin who tells me to get in the armored truck. I decide to do another side mission instead that has me looking at a room at the hotel.

Apparently, you have no choice once you've activated the story mission though as after I got out of range, I saw a timer come up telling me to return to the vehicle. I decide to ignore it figuring it would just cancel out of the mission.

But that's not what happens. I get a "Quest Failed" screen (first I've ever seen it in the game so far) and it gives me a choice to reload from the last check point or to quit. I select reload the last check point, and it for some reason puts me at the hotel and not where the last check point was. Probably cuz I selected the side mission. On top of that, it tells me to get to the vehicle which there's no fucking way I can get there in time so I get a Quest Failed, and repeat the problem.

Am I really fucked? Did I just lose my save game? If so fuck this game. I'm pissed.
Had this same exact problem. I had to join a coop game and play through the devastator mission to continue.

Top Bottom