• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

vaelic

Banned
Kunohara said:
Holy shit, I just started using the Dead Island Helper. No bloom is awesome. I wish I knew about this before I started.

Playing Sam B, and I am at level 11. Pretty fun so far. I just love walking around and not really hearing much except ambient noise. Nice atmosphere (especially with bloom off now).
I find turning music off and just hearing ambiance is better :)

BTW, they finally stickied the tool: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114535

I think I'm going trade the game in soon, I don't have a lot of free time for gaming these days and I find Dead Island to be too frustrating for me (especially playing exclusively on solo). I enjoyed it at first but as I get further into the game there are just too many bad things adding up for me.

Patryn

So I just fucked myself over royally.

I'm playing Logan, and I'm really digging the throwing mechanic.

But I get to a mission where I have to protect a building, and meanwhile waves of Infected keep coming. So I do what I normally do: Start throwing my weapons, hoping for a boomerang, running forward to kick anything that's not dead and recover anything I've thrown.

But the Infected keep coming. And before I know it, I'm overwhelmed. I die like four times, and I'm getting frustrated so I just say fuck it, and turn the console off.

That's when I remember: I hadn't recovered any of my weapons.

Oh fuck.

So I turn on my system. Sure enough, they're GONE. I have my shitty hammer that's my backup melee weapon, and that's it.

My two green and one blue machetes, modified for Shock? Gone. My multiple cleavers, that had worked wonders and been fully upgraded? Gone.

Oh and to add insult to injury I'm checkpointed at the beginning of that mission, so I have tons of screaming Infected coming right for me. That I have to fight. With one shitty hammer.

So that's 12 hours down the drain.

Fuck.

Patryn said:

But I get to a mission where I have to protect a building, and meanwhile waves of Infected keep coming. So I do what I normally do: Start throwing my weapons, hoping for a boomerang, running forward to kick anything that's not dead and recover anything I've thrown.

But the Infected keep coming. And before I know it, I'm overwhelmed. I die like four times, and I'm getting frustrated so I just say fuck it, and turn the console off.

Oh fuck.

So I turn on my system. Sure enough, they're GONE. I have my shitty hammer that's my backup melee weapon, and that's it.

My two green and one blue machetes, modified for Shock? Gone. My multiple cleavers, that had worked wonders and been fully upgraded? Gone.

Oh and to add insult to injury I'm checkpointed at the beginning of that mission, so I have tons of screaming Infected coming right for me. That I have to fight. With one shitty hammer.

Fuck.

Oh I was going to suggest cheating or modding to help get past that bit but then just saw that your on console.
Guess you are fucked then.

JRW

Good lord this weapon is amazing, It Slices & Dices through zombies like butter lol.

DI_Wakizashi.jpg

mug

Patryn said:

Oh fuck.

Fuck.
Any propane available?

Put a good couple of hours into this game over the weekend only to come the conclusion - I'm bored. Just seems like the same thing over and over with no real story or anything. I guess I wanted this game to be more like Dead Rising and less like Far Cry 2. Ehh, whatever. This one's going back for Shadow/Ico collection at the end of the month.

Shady859

As a huge fan of Fallout and zombies in general i'm LOVING this game more than I thought I would. I'm playing solo as Logan and am 61% through the main story and level 23 or 24 I forget. It's starting to get a little hairy going it alone but IMO that makes it more fun. It is very repetitive but it's fun.

I went into co-op tonight for the first time ever and some kid level 34 threw a machette at me and cursed me for no reason just after I entered. I picked it up and left the game and sold it since it was to high leveled for me to use lol back to solo. :)

Also locally I had a hard time finding it and lucked into a second shipment the end of release week. First time that's happened in awhile.

Patryn

Well, it cost me all my molotovs, money and all my bullets, but I made it out and now have a new arsenal. I'll miss my old arsenal, had a couple really good weapons. But I guess that's the nature of these games, out with the old, in with the new, eh?

Concept17 said:
Why would you do that?

I just never needed it. Early on I was always missing something to create a modded weapon, so I just got used to not having to do that. I'm about 64% in and haven't modded a weapon yet.

Patryn said:
Well, it cost me all my molotovs, money and all my bullets, but I made it out and now have a new arsenal. I'll miss my old arsenal, had a couple really good weapons. But I guess that's the nature of these games, out with the old, in with the new, eh?
Dude sorry to hear. That royally sucks.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sorry if this has been brought up but is there an issue with the mission where you bring back Juice Crates?

Ive got 4 crates loaded up from the gas stations and drove back to the safehouse, but theres no prompt for the mission to end/continue and the quest tracking arrow keeps going back and forth

JRW

Dead said:
Sorry if this has been brought up but is there an issue with the mission where you bring back Juice Crates?

Ive got 4 crates loaded up from the gas stations and drove back to the safehouse, but theres no prompt for the mission to end/continue and the quest tracking arrow keeps going back and forth

If im thinking of the right mission you have to place the juice on the ground in the garage where the truck was originally parked (safehouse), you'll see transparent juice boxes in the corner where you need to drop them (across from workbench), Then go talk to Samoi.

Marty Chinn said:
I just never needed it. Early on I was always missing something to create a modded weapon, so I just got used to not having to do that. I'm about 64% in and haven't modded a weapon yet.
You're missing out on some great fun. Watching zombies electrify is pretty damn hilarious and satisfying. The Magic Wand mod is nuts and watching my buddy get it to proc is awesome, especially when it has a bowling ball effect on other zombies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, this game has a lot of problems, but I'm so into it right now. I guess I'm just a sucker for ambitious but buggy open world games. Stalker <3 Trespasser <3 Far Cry 2 <3 and now Dead Island <3.

If anyone is down for co-op holla @ me on Steam.

Well me and my buddy finished the game tonight, cant see I really feel like going back through to play it again. Probably try and sell it here this week, game was fun. But it has a good deal of issues that were frustrating to deal with.

Dead

well not really...yet
JRW said:
If im thinking of the right mission you have to place the juice on the ground in the garage where the truck was originally parked (safehouse), you'll see transparent juice boxes in the corner where you need to drop them (across from workbench), Then go talk to Samoi.
Hmm guess I missed that

thanks!

Dresden

Patryn said:
Yeah, that sucks but don't worry about it--you'll get new weapons soon enough, and Logan is such a powerhouse that it won't cripple you.

Flunkie

Banned
Katanas and Wakizashis degrade so fast though. They slide through zombies like butter, yes, but I'm afraid to use them half the time.

Flunkie said:
Katanas and Wakizashis degrade so fast though. They slide through zombies like butter, yes, but I'm afraid to use them half the time.

I generally only go for head shots when I use them to try and make them last longer.

Also it would be nice if you could upgrade your mod once you got a better mod of the same type.

Artadius

Flunkie said:

They make great thrown weapons since that doesn't do near as much weapon durability loss. Logan ftw. 50% boomerang rate + extra +30% to thrown weapon crit rate = easy peasy.

maomaoIYP

Flunkie said:

Not anywhere as bad as knives, which have durability less than 20.

I just keep a katana or wakizashi for the occasions when I get swarmed with infected. Otherwise a fire axe or any other 2 handed axe is usually much better both range wise and damage wise. With Xian, a critical hit can easily break 5000 damage.

Wallach

Is there any way to do keyboard chat when using a controller? Slightly inconvenient to keep opening the Steam overlay to chat when using the controller.

Wallach said:
Is there any way to do keyboard chat when using a controller? Slightly inconvenient to keep opening the Steam overlay to chat when using the controller.
I believe they said they were working on patching that in.

When do 2 handed axes start to pop up? Just got into Act 3 and haven't seen any yet.

zkylon

zkylewd
Can't get engaged into this game. Same problem as with Borderlands, they just can't make it interesting enough for me to go on all of these fetch/kill quests, and i'm not too big into loot. It's a decent attempt, though, and four players kicking the shit out of a fallen zombie is hilarious.

JWong

Banned
zkylon said:
Can't get engaged into this game. Same problem as with Borderlands, they just can't make it interesting enough for me to go on all of these fetch/kill quests, and i'm not too big into loot. It's a decent attempt, though, and four players kicking the shit out of a fallen zombie is hilarious.
Yeah, when I got to the quest where...

Some lady in a house that was surrounded by zombies tells me to get her teddie bear or she can't sleep.

I said, "fuck this game." It's also so stupid how they're trying to force the whole depressing fake (first) trailer mentality when it's all pretty non-serious and stupid.

Add motion sickness, which I'm usually real strong against, and terrible graphics.

Flunkie said:
Machetes are better all around weapons for that purpose. Unless you want to be a douche and just dupe the shit out of your Wakizashi.

zkylon said:

It's funny, I loathe Borderlands and love this. It definitely has the same careless approach to story and quests but I think I just dig the setting and the combat enough that it doesn't bother me the same way. Really enjoy the weapon crafting and loot in general, I get a kick out of upgrading from a Defective to a Flimsy something-or-other.

zkylon

zkylewd
JWong said:
Yeah, when I got to the quest where...

Some lady in a house that was surrounded by zombies tells me to get her teddie bear or she can't sleep.

I said, "fuck this game." It's also so stupid how they're trying to force the whole depressing fake (first) trailer mentality when it's all pretty non-serious and stupid.

Add motion sickness, which I'm usually real strong against, and terrible graphics.
If you haven't tried it, give coop a shot, since you're basically skipping all the lame sappy nonsense parts and just going straight into the ridiculous gang head stomping.

Dresden

TheNiX said:
I believe they said they were working on patching that in.

When do 2 handed axes start to pop up? Just got into Act 3 and haven't seen any yet.
Found them on the first vendor in Act 3.

Carm

Question: In Act 3, the quest Soldier of Fortune, if you do that quest will it force an act change? Found another quest hub but don't want to act change before doing them.

TheBear

Kunohara said:
Holy shit, I just started using the Dead Island Helper. No bloom is awesome. I wish I knew about this before I started.

Playing Sam B, and I am at level 11. Pretty fun so far. I just love walking around and not really hearing much except ambient noise. Nice atmosphere (especially with bloom off now).

Holy fuck. Disabling bloom and turning on VSync makes the game run soooo much better.

mocoworm

I started playing this game lt night and I love it ! It took about an hour for it to 'click' but once it did, as soon as my quests started building up, I just couldn't turn it off.

eshwaaz

jim-jam bongs said:
It's funny, I loathe Borderlands and love this. It definitely has the same careless approach to story and quests but I think I just dig the setting and the combat enough that it doesn't bother me the same way. Really enjoy the weapon crafting and loot in general, I get a kick out of upgrading from a Defective to a Flimsy something-or-other.
Same for me. I kept hoping that Borderlands would "click" at some point, but it never did. Dead Island grabbed me from the start, and I'm not even a zombie fan - I actually thought I was totally "zombied-out" before this game.

orion434

I completed the game last night and I have to say the final area is extremely rushed. I loved the Resort and Jungle... the City, hated it. Couldn't wait to get out, especially hated the speakers on the rooftop sidequests. I completed all Side-quests with Xian and played a little multiplayer here and there and I was lv 39 when I was done.

Another glitch with one of the Achievements... my main Character is Xian and after I completed ACT I with Sam, I went to see what characters I had to complete ACT I with and it listed Xian & Purna and not Logan? I didn't even start a character with Logan and he's not listed... had to complete ACT I 2x with Xian... not that I mind.

So After I reach lv 50 and complete ACT I with Purna I just have to wait until 10/4 to load it up and get my 100% ( Yeah I know I can do this offline, but I'm a stickler for timestamps )

"Come here, check this out." "It's this way, over here." "Where are you, where did you go?" "Quick I need your help, where are you?"

I just bought this game and I really like it. I just can't stand co-op, unless the person actually wants to stick to your ass it's to easy to get distracted and wander off in an open world co op experience and it seams like Borderlands the game adjusts enemy difficulty and strength or am I wrong? I'm babysitting most of the time.

Top Bottom