• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

AEREC said:
I went through the game without altering anything. Though I do have D3Doverrider. Never had any issues with bloom or any other graphics issues.
The main thing I use it for is vsync and shadow map size to be honest, NVIDIA inspector doesn't work with DI for some reason.

Fox1304

Boy this game is flawed, but so much fun to play through.
Finished the hotel last night, creepy place, very atmospheric, loved it.
Started to craft some modded weapons, such as a tazer Machette ( awesome ) or the Reaper DLC craft. They are very powerful but the sound they make when idle can be very annoying very quick.

After my save problems of last day I decided to erase my game and restart everything in full offline. So far, no problem.
Would really love to try coop though. Is there a ETA on when coop will be safe for the saves on PS3 ?

Wallach

Does everyone's Fury ability give such a crazy amount of XP? Or is that why Logan has no +XP skill in his trees? I get like anywhere from 5-10k XP every time I use it.

Fox1304

- Hey sis' ! Wassup ?

- Nothing, just chillin' with mah head off ... you ?

TOTrul.jpg

orion434

Is there any way to level up really quickly? I just have 2 Achievements left, reach lv 50 and the 28-days later. I'm lv 42 and the levels are now getting really spaced apart. I've been helping friends in co-op and I have a really nice Zed's Demise with Deathstalker mod... kinda bumed that the 2nd playthrough mission EXP is not scaled. I mean ACT I gave me like NO EXP!!!

mujun

blahness said:
Had this same exact problem. I had to join a coop game and play through the devastator mission to continue.

I had this problem, too. All you have to do is do a 180 and run down the hill and you'll find Jin in a utility truck with a big red ring around it. You have just enough time to jump in. Definitely badly designed, though. Failing subjects you to a lot of loading not to mention having to quick travel (and more loading) to get back to be able to try again.

JRW

Finished my first playthrough on 360 last night the game is a blast to play IMO, I tried finding all of the side quests as I didn't want it to end. The combat is great and I haven't even tried Analog mode yet (Should I?)

I'm considering buying it on PC and playing through it again with another character (its also hooked up to my Plasma and I wouldnt mind seeing the game in 1080p @ 60fps), I thought the prison was a little drawn out towards the end (probably because I kept trying to fight everything in sight) but overall this was the most satisfying game with Zombies that Ive played to date.

Dead_Island_Logan_Completed_1st_playthrough.jpg

Fox1304

Yep, that's the Ripper.
Pretty easy to craft, got in in the DLC of the collector edition.
No idea if it's found elsewhere.
A bit of warning though : the sound it makes is really annoying, especially since it starts/stops/starts everytime you grab something.
It goes : Bzzzzz - ....... - Bzzzzzzz - ....... - BzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZ :(

JRW said:
Finished my first playthrough on 360 last night the game is a blast to play IMO, I tried finding all of the side quests as I didn't want it to end. The combat is great and I haven't even tried Analog mode yet (Should I?)

I'm considering buying it on PC and playing through it again with another character (its also hooked up to my Plasma and I wouldnt mind seeing the game in 1080p @ 60fps), I thought the prison was a little drawn out towards the end (probably because I kept trying to fight everything in sight) but overall this was the most satisfying game with Zombies that Ive played to date.

Definitely give analog mode a try for your next run. The game really is loads better on PC for more than the obvious reasons, plus I'd imagine that the Steam group would make it a lot easier to find decent co-op partners. If you've finished it with Logan I'd suggest Xian or Sam B for the most contrasting experience.

Recarpo

I'm hopping on for a couple of zombie killing hours on the 360. Anybody up for some co-op? I'm on chapter 3 now. GT:recarpo

Mungular

i havent played this yet, but i though it was kinda funny that on the back of the case it says that theres local co-op 1-2, yet there is none. liars! still i gotta try this beast out

Holy crap Dead Island, I can't find a copy. I hit two BB's and a GS and they were all sold out on ps3 AND 360 I'm freaking amazed and I wonder what the numbers will be.
I can;t think of another game that I never wanted that has turned me that way DI has so far. I think the Giant bomb TNT was the clincher; being kind of broken gives the game some personallity. now if they can fix the save issue.

I have a ton of new games coming in FUUU I really want to play this game. Maybe this weekend I'll go find one.

edit: wait the box lied and there's no local co-op? wtf? Not a deal breaker but I did have a friend who love zambies who wanted to try it.

AEREC

jim-jam bongs said:
Definitely give analog mode a try for your next run. The game really is loads better on PC for more than the obvious reasons, plus I'd imagine that the Steam group would make it a lot easier to find decent co-op partners. If you've finished it with Logan I'd suggest Xian or Sam B for the most contrasting experience.

Analog controls really made this game for me. I dont think I would enjoy it as much with the digital controls the whole game.

It's so satisfying to see an infected charging at you while you hold your weapon back ready to swing at the right moment and get a crit on their head.

Also I would suggest playing as Sam B as well, his voice over is more amusing and his Ram skill is incredibly useful.

AEREC

jim-jam bongs said:
Sam B also has my favourite line in the game, i.e. "yo shawty you been munchin' on any zombies?!"

Ya that had me rolling too.

Has anyone found engine parts yet? Thats all im missing for my telsa mod.

Just finished this last night, solo'd all the way.

Would people recommend NG+ with my blades chick or starting a fresh game with a different character?

NG+ is pretty grindey, to be honest. I mean I enjoyed it a lot, and sticking with one character does mean you can really learn how to use them as best as possible, but it is massively repetitive. My Purna is level 47 and currently in Act II of my third run with that character, so that should give you a pretty good idea of how long the road to level 50 is.

I think I was at 37 when I finished the first time. The XP from kills keeps scaling but the quest XP is the same. The amount of XP needed to level keeps growing too obviously, so you end up with like 100k zombies between you and your next level. Exaggeration of course, but it is a lot of XP.

Damn, I'm not to fussed about reaching lvl 50 but playing with a maxed out char would be nice......

Do you lose previous progress if you start a new char?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Didn't even know there was a NG+. I'm definitely happy that I rolled as Xian, I love slicing and dicing zombies, but I think I'll need the freshness of a new character to keep things interesting.

Anyways, I hope I can finish my first run before the big October/November rush. NeoGAF user Wallach and I have played most of the campaign tonight, I think we're a couple hours into Act 2. It's very rough around the edges, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far.

Phonomezer said:
Just realised that I only bothered using Fury once during my playthrough. Didn't really think it was necessary tbh.

I keep forgetting it exists. I've only used it a few times because I accidentally bumped the key.

AEREC

jim-jam bongs said:
NG+ is pretty grindey, to be honest. I mean I enjoyed it a lot, and sticking with one character does mean you can really learn how to use them as best as possible, but it is massively repetitive. My Purna is level 47 and currently in Act II of my third run with that character, so that should give you a pretty good idea of how long the road to level 50 is.

Ive just been goign through NG+ to level up my character and get the best items for when the arena comes out...Im assuming you take your character into that.

Give Purna or Logan a go after Xian if you get the chance. If you play them as a hybrid of ranged and melee they're really interesting.

Also, it's a rule that whenever your co-op partner stands next to a propane tank or Suicider without noticing it you must explode them. The game has precious few griefing opportunities so you have to be sure not to squander them.

DualShadow said:
Damn, I'm not to fussed about reaching lvl 50 but playing with a maxed out char would be nice......

Do you lose previous progress if you start a new char?

Nope! The character is tied to a save so you can go back to them at any time, or take a different one into a co-op game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
Also, it's a rule that whenever your co-op partner stands next to a propane tank or Suicider without noticing it you must explode them. The game has precious few griefing opportunities so you have to be sure not to squander them.

I "accidentally" ran him over once. There's a lot of fun to be had when you're both driving trucks, too.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
Didn't even know there was a NG+. I'm definitely happy that I rolled as Xian, I love slicing and dicing zombies, but I think I'll need the freshness of a new character to keep things interesting.

Anyways, I hope I can finish my first run before the big October/November rush. NeoGAF user Wallach and I have played most of the campaign tonight, I think we're a couple hours into Act 2. It's very rough around the edges, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far.

It's really rough. I honestly don't know what I really think about the game; most of the time I have to say it feels like one of those "so bad it's good" movies. Ex.:

___

We come across some woman by the tunnel. "HELP! My boyfriend swerved to avoid someone in the road and we rolled over the embankment! He's trapped, please help John!"

*we run down the hill to see a flipped car with a man stuck in it*

"Help me, please!" "Please, save him! John, are you okay! Please, save John!"

*we protect car from zombies while ripping the door off the car so he can escape*

"Whew! I thought I was going to die in there!" "Oh John, you're safe! Thank you so much!"

*man gets out of car, and LINWOOD is displayed over his head in all caps*

___

Who the fuck is John then and who is this guy we saved? That kind of stupidity is the rule and not the exception and it's sort of trained me to treat this game as a comedy. When you're stomping a zombie's face while he drowns in a 6" pool or manage to lodge a knife in a zombie's colon from 15' because when he ragdoll fell he did so with his ass sticking up in the air, it's pretty damn entertaining. But every time this game seems to try and get serious I kind of stop caring.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hahaha, the John/Linwood thing was hilarious. Most of the voice acting and dialogue is really bad, so the dramatic scenes provide a lot of awkwardness and unintentional humor.

It's not so funny when I'm getting stuck in place for no reason. :(

Fucking lol

I thought I was the only person who noticed that, I nearly posted a screenie of it.

Snuggler said:
Hahaha, the John/Linwood thing was hilarious. Most of the voice acting and dialogue is really bad, so the dramatic scenes provide a lot of awkwardness and unintentional humor.

Wait until the end of Act III when Sam B will say the greatest line in the history of gaming.

Wallach

Snuggler said:

Man, the getting stuck for no reason thing is lame. Also, I really hope the patch for voice chat is soon, so I can actually stay stuff like "look out" instead of watching you get steamrolled by some asshole running around the corner.

Wallach said:
Man, the getting stuck for no reason thing is lame. Also, I really hope the patch for voice chat is soon, so I can actually stay stuff like "look out" instead of watching you get steamrolled by some asshole running around the corner.

Have you tried it as is? If you don't mind the heavy breathing it's better than doing without it altogether.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
Have you tried it as is? If you don't mind the heavy breathing it's better than doing without it altogether.

I may do that and use the other headset that has a mute function on the line, see if it helps. I don't want him to have to hear static the whole time though because that sounds really annoying.

Looking for people to play with cooperatively on Playstation 3. Add me on PSN (ID: SlLENTCAPYBARA), second letter is a lowercase "L", or send me a PM on here to let me know if you'd like to play.

Neuromancer said:
Is there a point of no return in this game? In other words a last mission where you can't go back? If so, where and when is it? Thanks.

There is a message telling you when you reach that point.

Its when
You go to the prison. The message will pop up in the lab before you choose to go there.

AEREC

Neuromancer said:
Is there a point of no return in this game? In other words a last mission where you can't go back? If so, where and when is it? Thanks.

Yes, it's at the end and the game let's you know before commit to it.

maomaoIYP

Darkgran said:
I am about 10 hours into this game (Act II) and I have not found 1 weapon above the color green. What the hell is going on?

Woah that sucks. What about the shops? There's where I normally get my purples. Coincidentally, in my first playthrough I found my 1st purple roughly 20 mins in.

seems like a good game but overheats my laptop into shutting down after about 10 minutes play. shame because apart from that it runs beautifully. stupid laptop running games without adequate cooling.

might have to grab it on console just because of that. and what's the deal with xbox controllers being the only pad option these days? this game recognised inputs from my CCPro->USB adapter but they were all fucked up, axis inverted etc.

Darkgran

maomaoIYP said:
Woah that sucks. What about the shops? There's where I normally get my purples. Coincidentally, in my first playthrough I found my 1st purple roughly 20 mins in.

Nothing. Nada. Just bad luck I guess.

Top Bottom