• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

panda21

are there any videos with the rain in? i'm a sucker for games with good rain

also high res pc screens would be cool to see

CozMick

Banned
I was interested in purchasing this some time this week but I watched some gameplay footage this morning on youtube and the tearing on the PS3 version is absolutely the worst I have ever seen for a video game.

Was it the capture equipment the guy was using or is it that bad?

Footage in question - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9EjeYA6nYo @2min 40

Echoplx

The perfect Dark said:
I really hope it's the capture equipment...

9p0LA.jpg

:lol

Just spotted another review. German Gamestar gave the PC version 85%. That's pretty high for a new series.

Looks like there are still positive reviews coming in along with some of those lower scores.

NBtoaster

CozMick said:
I was interested in purchasing this some time this week but I watched some gameplay footage this morning on youtube and the tearing on the PS3 version is absolutely the worst I have ever seen for a video game.

Was it the capture equipment the guy was using or is it that bad?

Footage in question - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9EjeYA6nYo @2min 40

Their previous games have had ridiculous tearing on PS3, it's no surprise. The 360 versions haven't been much better.

RS4-

blackprophesy said:
Does anyone know if you can turn the head-bobbing off (or at least minimise) on the PC version?

I wish. Maybe a mod. No setting on console to remove the bobbing.

LProtag

Looks like some mixed reviews, leaning towards decent scores of 8-9 with a few people who don't like it.

Seems to me that if you're not invested in having a great storyline, don't care about a few graphical issues and have at least one friend to play through the game co-op with it'll be an enjoyable experience provided you enjoy RPG type mechanics.

I think it's a buy for me. PS3 as it's all I have that'll run it. Might need to find some people around here to play with for when my friend who will probably get it can't play!

ElyrionX

Enemies scale according to your level?

Urghh, this alone is enough to make me not buy the game. What's the point of having RPG mechanics in an open world if enemies scale with you? It's like Oblivion all over again.

LProtag

ElyrionX said:

Urghh, this alone is enough to make me not buy the game. What's the point of having RPG mechanics in an open world if enemies scale with you? It's like Oblivion all over again.

From what I'm seeing it makes grind unneeded along with the fact that when you level you're getting abilities that probably will make it easier to dispatch the more minor zombies anyway.

ElyrionX said:

To keep the game interesting and challenging? I prefer enemies to scale with me rather than have mobs of enemies who are challenging on in specific areas only.

It's the exact same as playing a table top rpg, you will constantly scale your game to your players level so that it keeps a challenge going, you don't just let them stomp on everyone and then choose when and where the challenge is.

"rpg mechanics" should not mean being able to grind to crush your opponents.

Tawpgun

BattleMonkey said:
To keep the game interesting and challenging? I prefer enemies to scale with me rather than have mobs of enemies who are challenging on in specific areas only.

It's the exact same as playing a table top rpg, you will constantly scale your game to your players level so that it keeps a challenge going, you don't just let them stomp on everyone and then choose when and where the challenge is.

Thiiiiiiiiis

I think I'm going to have to backlog this thing though.... Sometimes I hate the fall gaming rush.

ElyrionX said:

TBH I don't understand this rage against this. If you play a P&P RPG the GM also scales enemies. Nobody at level 1000000 fights level 1 goblins. I guess you prefer new skins instead of scaling? I guess that would fix all the hate, but in principle it is the same thing. The mob looks different but the stats are the same as that level 100000 scaled goblin.

ironcreed

Banned
I watched a good bit of gameplay last night and am completely convinced I will have a blast with this. A survival game with RPG elements and zombies in a hub based open world makes a very unique offering. I was going to rent, but am so very tempted to go ahead and bite. I am getting Space Marine tomorrow, plus I have my two games at a time from Gamefly, but this just looks like a solid buy to me. Hm... decisions, decisions.

So I gave in and got it from GMG for only 30 bucks and have it preloaded. Hope its going to be worth it. Of course after ordering it yesterday I expect to read the pages I missed and find out I've made a horrible mistake. LOL

So do we have a list if PC Players in the thread?

Not sure if it is already covered by this thred, but where is the cheapest place to buy the digital version of this game? Green Man Gaming? Can I activated a key on Steam from GMG outside UK? Intkeys is cheaper, but they sell east europe keys, which cannot be activated without VPN (which I would not do).

BattleMonkey said:

and i don't like being overleveled. then i should just play easy then lol.

R1CHO

Twinduct said:
One of life's great mysterious :p

It blows my mind, in the day of digital distribution, for a steamworks game... great way to fight against the zero day piraty indeed.

Anyway, bought and preloading, after all i have velvet assassins, so i will be fine...

Autofokus

BattleMonkey said:

You liked the scaling in Oblivion? Ugh.

If you do a proper level-up system, don't scale the whole game 1:1 with you, it takes the sense of accomplishment & reward away. Instead, drop it completely and just give every x EXP a Skill Point - like Deus Ex.

ElyrionX said:

It's not a big sandbox like Oblivion, from my understanding the world is made up of several sandboxes; I would assume that each area would have their own level caps.

Autofokus said:
You liked the scaling in Oblivion? Ugh.

If you do a proper level-up system, don't scale the whole game 1:1 with you, it takes the sense of accomplishment & reward away. Instead, drop it completely and just give every x EXP a Skill Point - like Deus Ex.

Scaling in oblivion was meh, but that was that game. Scaling is fine, but it depends on how its implemented and it's largely about reward and level of challenge.

Just because I grind and become high level, I should be able to just wander through an area of bad guys and pretty much just laugh and ignore their attacks because I'm "experienced", it should still be a risk and a challenge and not like a MMO world where you walk around hordes of low level enemies who will attack you and you can just walk away from the pc, get a sammich, and come back and one shot kill them all.

ironcreed

Banned
You know, the thing that attracted me to Dead Rising was the fact that it had zombies in an open environment. I tried so hard to love that series and indeed had some fun with it, but the fact that the entire game was structured around being timed just killed it for me. Don't turn me loose in an open environment with all of these possibilities begging me to explore and have fun, but punish me by making me miss the story because I could not make it to a specific point at the right time. Where Dead Rising failed, I think this game will succeed for me.

eshwaaz

I am so torn on this game. If I do get it, I plan on playing solo. Any word on whether the game offers multiple difficulty settings?

legacyzero

Banned
cant wait for this game. Gamefly sent it to me Saturday, So I'd like to think that I'll have it tomorrow or Wed. Trying to finish Deus Ex by then. Probably not gonna happen.

wow that team xbox review is awesome, its making the wait worse LOL

LOVE the idea of really deep skill trees, something missing in tons of games.

eurogamer may have failed me like they did with the alan wake reviews, coz apart from that I always agree with eurogamer.

Top Bottom